• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: WP Doing Nothing?

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]
Our nation's fate was hung on 77-13. 3 PAP MPs and 5 (of 9) NMPs were absent for this critical day. I am exhausted, for it seems reason does not rule in our system, yet. There is much work to do in the coming years.

I am having a White Paper cooling off day drinking beer old buddies. Time to recharge. Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Daniel PS Goh

I know it is self-imposed White Paper cooling off day(s) for me, but I just have to post this. My mum, who just retired at the beginning of this year, was a nurse. I grew up with the fascination of anatomy and physiology books, the smell of anti-septic, and the virtue of caring and nursing the ill back to health, and the sadness of deaths that is always accompanied by the celebration of life.

With a stroke of a pen on a footnote, my mum could now retire not be despised as a low-skilled worker who can't be off-shored. Yes, this is the very least you could have done, DPM, to change the grievous error of the elitism that pervades your government. So, thank you. Now, would you please do the same for personal services and retail please?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1253152/1/.html

DPM Teo issues correction to footnote in Population White Paper - Channel NewsAsia
[url]www.channelnewsasia.com

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean on Friday issued a corrigendum to the Population White Paper in Parliame

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]
I know it is self-imposed White Paper cooling off day(s) for me, but I just have to post this. My mum, who just retired at the beginning of this year, was a nurse. I grew up with the fascination of anatomy and physiology books, the smell of anti-septic, and the virtue of caring and nursing the ill back to health, and the sadness of deaths that is always accompanied by the celebration of life.

With a stroke of a pen on a footnote, my mum could now retire not be despised as a low-skilled worker who can't be off-shored. Yes, this is the very least you could have done, DPM, to change the grievous error of the elitism that pervades your government. So, thank you. Now, would you please do the same for personal services and retail please?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1253152/1/.html

DPM Teo issues correction to footnote in Population White Paper - Channel NewsAsia
[url]www.channelnewsasia.com

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean on Friday issued a corrigendum to the Population White

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]Some friends asked me what I thought of PM's speech and his choking on tears when he came to the part on Singaporeans and the core. I have a feeling that some, too many, think those were crocodile tears.

Personally, I have no doubt PM's tears were real. If we look back on the debate, we can see the government slowly moderating its position, accepting some of WP's points, taking in the criticism of its own PAP MPs. We see the final outcome in the amended motion, where the White Paper were tied up with the constraints of public concerns.

Throughout the vigorous debates, PM quietly listened and, I imagined, seriously reflected on the roadmap in his hand. It must have cut deep that many thought he didn't care for Singaporeans.

I believe we all care for Singaporeans. The difference is in the what, when, and how of getting where. This is where political debate in Parliament and the public sphere comes in. I am glad he said the discussion will go on. The White Paper is not a done deal.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"The Workers’ Party MPs voted against the Amended Motion in Parliament today. Although the Amended Motion captures some of the Workers’ Party’s concerns about the White Paper, fundamentally the White Paper still forms the basis of the roadmap forward to 2030, which the House was asked to endorse."

WP votes for a Sustainable Singapore
wp.sg

For the last one week, Parliament debated the motion to endorse the Government’s White Paper on Population entitled “A Sustainable Population for a Dynamic Singapore”.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"In the 1991 Concept Plan, this government was doing long-term planning based on a population figure of 4 million. We started that decade with 3 million people and a Singaporean core of 86 per cent. We ended that decade with 4 million people and the Singaporean core at 74 per cent.

In 2001, this government put up another Concept Plan with a higher population projection of 5.5 million as a basis for land use and transportation planning. Again at that time, we were told in this House that the projected population figure over a period of 40 to 50 years was not a target but a planning parameter or what is known in recent days as a worst case scenario.

By 2010, in a short span of 10 years, we reached 91 per cent of the 2001 projected worst case scenario population with 30 to 40 years to spare. Our Singaporean core went down by another 10 percentage point to 64 per cent. So what was projected to happen in 40 to 50 years in 1991 and 2001 became a reality in less than one quarter of time envisaged."

"If the experience in 1991 and 2001 is anything to go by, the 6.9 million projection may not be a worst case scenario but could well be the worst nightmare for Singapore come 2030. The trust between the people and this government had been shaken twice because the line between a projected population and a target population is no longer distinct. Singaporeans do not want to be shaken a third time."

A Dynamic Population for a Sustainable Singapore – MP Png Eng Huat : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg

From day 1 when the Population White Paper was released, the reaction from the ground is swift and negative. Whether the 6.9 million figure is a

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]The Workers' Party shared a link.[/h]
" 白皮书内的主要建议是批准外来移民成为新加坡公民,添补本地人口增长的不足,然后把这些成为新加坡公民的新移民当成是“新加坡人核心“。因此,这个所谓的 新加坡人核心到底有多少是道地的新加坡人已经是个问题,更何况,到了 2030 年时,这个所谓的新加坡人核心只占 690 万总人口的 55%。所以,土生土长的新加坡人到底真正占我们总人口的多少百分比呢?

我不是要特意分别土生土长的新加坡公民和新公民。我们应该对获得公民权的新公民一视同仁,至少他们愿意放弃原本的公民而成为新加坡公民。然而,请记得的是,这些都是人,人的价值观、人生观、世界观和生活的习惯都因环境、国情和习俗的不同而有异,需要时间磨合,也需要适当的磨合环境。

以我国生活的紧张步伐和新组屋区各家自理,邻居都可能认识不完的环境,没有磨合新移民的条件。在时间方面,白皮书的人口数量预估每十年就大约增加 1 百万人口,以我们的人口比例,我认为我们的社会无法消化这么大量的外来人口。

我们的祖先都是外来移民,政府花了几十年的心血,逐渐使国民对新加坡有归属感,产生了国家的观念,也使我们慢慢地成为今天有凝聚力的社会,人民现在也有了法治的观念。我们应该珍惜和大力维护我们在建国历程中所获得的,这些超越经济发展和物质的成就。

各位,我很担心这种依赖大量外来人口来填补国人因为不生育,而造成人口短缺的策略会使我们的国家走上不归路。" - 刘程强 阿裕尼集选区国会议员

人口白皮书辩论: 刘程强 : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg

人民是国家的组成核心,没有人民,哪有国家。人口是立国之基,也是一个国家兴衰盛旺的核心因素。因此,人口问题是一个很重要的问题,但也是一个非常复杂的问题,牵一发而动全身。更重要的是,不

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

40190_149674681715790_2741543_t.jpg

[h=2]Parliament Highlights for 7 Feb 2013
[/h]
by The Workers' Party on Friday, February 8, 2013 at 5:59pm ·

Here are some highlights from our WP MPs’ speeches in Parliament on 7 Feb.

Low Thia Khiang, MP for Aljunied GRC
"The trouble with the government is not that it lacks 20/20 foresight in infrastructural development, but that it fails to recognize that the problem is its immigration policy in the first place. The problems of low birth rates and ageing population lie in a social and physical environment that is not conducive for family life. Therefore, the solutions must be sought by focusing on promoting the quality of life of Singaporean families. By focusing on immigration, the government is using the cause of the problems today as the solution for tomorrow."

"What the government is doing is kicking the can down the road. The government has been using immigration to grow the workforce in the past 30 years. It is proposing to continue to do so for the next 20 years. The government said that it HOPES for an increase in the TFR to 1.4 or 1.5. This is a matter of national survival, and the government is only weakly hoping with an ambiguous target with no specified timetable. Without a TFR recovery plan with clear targets, our birth rates are not going to go up. So when 2030 arrives, what solution are we going to turn to?"

"白皮书内的主要建议是批准外来移民成为新加坡公民,添补本地人口增长的不足,然后把这些成为新加坡 公民的新移民当成是“新加坡人核心“。因此,这个所谓的新加坡人核心到底有多少是道地的新加坡人已经是个问题,更何况,到了 2030 年时,这个所谓的新加坡人核心只占 690 万总人口的 55%。所以,土生土长的新加坡人到底真正占我们总人口的多少百分比呢?"

" 我不是要特意分别土生土长的新加坡公民和新公民。我们应该对获得公民权的新公民一视同仁,至少他们愿意放弃原本的公民而成为新加坡公民。然而,请记得的 是,这些都是人,人的价值观、人生观、世界观和生活的习惯都因环境、国情和习俗的不同而有异,需要时间磨合,也需要适当的磨合环境。"

"以我国生活的紧张步伐和新组屋区各家自理,邻居都可能认识不完的环境,没有磨合新移民的条件。在时间方面,白皮书的人口数量预估每十年就大约增加 1 百万人口,以我们的人口比例,我认为我们的社会无法消化这么大量的外来人口。"

"我们的祖先都是外来移民,政府花了几十年的心血,逐渐使国民对新加坡有归属感,产生了国家的观念,也使我们慢慢地成为今天有凝聚力的社会,人民现在也有了法治的观念。我们应该珍惜和大力维护我们在建国历程中所获得的,这些超越经济发展和物质的成就。"

"各位,我很担心这种依赖大量外来人口来填补国人因为不生育,而造成人口短缺的策略会使我们的国家走上不归路。"

Read Low Thia Khiang’s full speeches here:
http://wp.sg/2013/02/a-sustainable-singapore-with-a-dynamic-singaporean-majority-mp-low-thia-khiang/http://wp.sg/2013/02/population-white-paper-mandarin-ltk/

Png Eng Huat, MP for Hougang SMC
"In the 1991 Concept Plan, this government was doing long-term planning based on a population figure of 4 million. We started that decade with 3 million people and a Singaporean core of 86 per cent. We ended that decade with 4 million people and the Singaporean core at 74 per cent."

"In 2001, this government put up another Concept Plan with a higher population projection of 5.5 million as a basis for land use and transportation planning. Again at that time, we were told in this House that the projected population figure over a period of 40 to 50 years was not a target but a planning parameter or what is known in recent days as a worst case scenario."

"By 2010, in a short span of 10 years, we reached 91 per cent of the 2001 projected worst case scenario population with 30 to 40 years to spare. Our Singaporean core went down by another 10 percentage point to 64 per cent. So what was projected to happen in 40 to 50 years in 1991 and 2001 became a reality in less than one quarter of time envisaged."

"In 2007, the ex-Minister for National Development quickly revised the long-term population projection to 6.5 million, which is at the low end of the projected population for 2030 in the Population White Paper."

"We all take different risks in life. This government wants Singapore to take a risk with 6.9 million people. We, the Workers’ Party, want to work with a smaller number and a stronger emphasis on Singaporean core. But no matter what numbers we project, the government of the day has to subject itself to do the will of the people who elected it. I am sure the will of people can be felt in your MPS, dialogue sessions, feedback sessions and even at the recent polls."

Read Png Eng Huat’s full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/02/a-dynamic-population-for-a-sustainable-singapore-mp-png-eng-huat/

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Chen Show Mao[/h]
恭贺大家新年鸿运当头。Happy new year to all! Heralding the Lunar New Year with stallholders and patrons at the Blk 105 Hougang Ave 1 Market and Food Centre in Paya Lebar.

479975_457479354317330_316159041_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Chen Show Mao[/h]http://ipscommons.sg/<wbr>index.php/categories/featured/<wbr>118-economics-myths-in-the-grea<wbr>t-population-debate

"In the popular imagination, healthcare and social services are a drain on the productive parts of the economy. They have to be funded by taxpayers and are therefore seen as a cost that reduces national output. This is bad economics. Healthcare and social services, like other industries such as manufacturing, financial services or construction, also contribute to national output (or GDP) growth. Your spending in healthcare and social services is someone else’s income and his spending boosts another person’s income. So raising our spending in these two areas is not different from increasing spending in other parts of the economy. There is no economic basis for the common intuition that some industries are a cost while others are a form of investment.

What about the fact that healthcare and social services have to be financed by taxation? Doesn’t that mean they are a drag on the economy? Again, there is little economic basis for that argument. Many other things are financed by taxation too – MRT lines, public housing, law and order, security – but we don’t view these as a drag on the economy. Indeed, we may even see these things as productive investments."

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=1]09.02.2013 Pre-CNY Estate Inspection[/h]Updated <abbr title="Monday, February 11, 2013 at 4:11am" data-utime="1360527112" class="timestamp">on Sunday</abbr> · Taken in Serangoon New Town

MP Ms Sylvia Lim went on a 'traditional' pre-CNY Estate Inspection on the eve of the Chinese New Year to make sure that everything is in order before the Year of the Snake arrives.

222643_478146608913225_1017405482_n.jpg

404820_478146682246551_114305600_n.jpg

485275_478146662246553_1643673114_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=1]09.02.2013 Pre-CNY Estate Inspection[/h]Updated <abbr title="Monday, February 11, 2013 at 4:11am" data-utime="1360527112" class="timestamp">on Sunday</abbr> · Taken in Serangoon New Town

MP Ms Sylvia Lim went on a 'traditional' pre-CNY Estate Inspection on the eve of the Chinese New Year to make sure that everything is in order before the Year of the Snake arrives.

543481_478146692246550_245637774_n.jpg

543519_478146635579889_2084065975_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Chen Show Mao[/h]
Different strokes... Okinawa has a population plan that its government believes offers the best roadmap for its future. According to news reports, the five pillars of the plan are:
*"creating an easy environment in which to give birth to and raise children,
* longevity health measures,
* U-, I- and J-turn promotion projects [to promote return migration by Okinawans who have taken up residence elsewhere], * depopulation measures in remote islands ['preventing population spills from remote islands'], and
* increasing the number of inbound tourists. "[Tourism is a major industry in Okinawa.]
http://english.ryukyushimpo.jp/2013/01/15/9015/

OPG hopes to increase the population of Okinawa
english.ryukyushimpo.jp

January 1, 2013 Yoko Shima of the Ryukyu Shimpo The Okinawa Prefectural Government (OPG) is putting together

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chen Show Mao

Sitting in a meeting at the town council, I am only now mindful that today is Valentine's Day. (I hope my wife has had a good day, considering, and would like to thank her for putting up with so much, including this.)
Happy Valentine's Day, All.

Sitting in a meeting at the town council, I am only now mindful that today is Valentine's Day. (I hope my wife has had a good day, considering, and would like to thank her for putting up with so much, including this.)
Happy Valentine's Day, All.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]The Workers' Party[/h]
"MR PATRICK Liew Siow Gian ("WP needs to decide on its stand - and stick to it"; Thursday) wrote that during the Budget debate last year, Workers' Party (WP) secretary-general Low Thia Khiang had criticised government measures to tighten the foreign worker inflow and argued that this was done too quickly, yet the WP now advocates a freeze on foreign worker numbers.

Mr Liew has read the above out of context. What Mr Low highlighted during the Budget debate last year concerned the allocation of foreign manpower for specific industries, not the overall foreign worker growth rate.

The statements described by Mr Liew were made during an exchange between Mr Low and Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam on the issue of whether the dependency ratio ceiling for foreign workers could be managed by specific industries instead of by broad industry clusters.

It was not a debate on the growth rate of foreign workers or the input of foreign workers to the workforce."

WP's position on foreign workers has been consistent
[url]www.straitstimes.com

MR PATRICK Liew Siow Gian ("WP needs to decide on its stand - and stick to it"; Thursday) wrote that during the Budget debate last year, Workers' Part

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Chen Show Mao[/h]
Wisdom of "Goodbye, Mr. Chips!" (1939), parts of which I caught on cable this weekend.

On a loved one gone away:
"I try to imagine him about the place again doing some commonplace thing. Working in the garden, perhaps, or washing the dog. I can't imagine I shall ever get used to the joy of it. Surely, we shall never again take our happiness for granted."

On school:
"All that matters today is a fat banking account. You're trying to run the school like a factory for turning out moneymaking snobs!"

On life:
"But believe me, you can't judge the importance of things by the noise they make."

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]Assuming the White Paper, Part I

I find the White Paper stupendously problematic in too many way. But a lot of ink, and saliva, have been spilled on critiques of the White Paper, so I will not repeat the already said points and will instead "value add" what I think are fresh insights (maybe stale already). Actually I hate the term "value add", as it stems from the same worldview guiding the White Paper, but thought I use it here for efficient irony.

I ask two questions concerning the White Paper from the perspective of Comparative Historical Sociology and Cultural Studies. The former is interested in the long term formation of states and the use of political economic resources for the purpose. In our political pop culture, this was what Chan Chun Sing was trying to highlight with his kechiu's on the Lanfang Republic, which was unfortunately performed too closely to a SNL routine. The latter, Cultural Studies, is interested in the underlying meanings that condition the way we see and act towards the world.

What are the underlying assumptions of the White Paper about Singaporeans and Singapore society? Why is the state making these assumptions at this juncture of its formation?

Assumption 1: Singaporeans, even if they want to, are not quite capable of having enough babies to replace themselves, so we need substantial new citizen top-ups.

The government says it "hopes" that TFR would go up some 10-20%. I hope the cabinet ministers would hold their breaths, so that they won't just hope, but WILL make it happen. Other nations that worry about their existential extinction, like Korea, Israel, and the Nordic countries, don't just hope and eagerly top-up their citizenry with immigrants, which insults new citizens too because they are top-ups. I like Norway's approach. A TV channel now shows cracking firewood for half the day on TV because firewood has a deep cultural significance for their national identity, and it promotes TFR-ing! On the other hand, we stuff cash into the pockets of the cash-rich to have more babies and the poor to have fewer.

Assumption 2: older Singaporeans will weigh down the workforce as they are not as innovative and productive as younger workers, and they cannot quite support themselves after retirement. And since Singaporeans are incapable of having enough babies that will grow up to become young workers, we need to import some and more to "revitalize" our workforce and "support" our old folks.

So we just want the youthful labour to be extracted from migrant workers to feed our famished senior citizens. Maybe because I am an academic working in the university, but the most innovative and productive workers here are the senior profs, until they kena semi-retired as "emeritus" prof. But isn't our economy a "knowledge-based economy"? Hey, I haven't heard that term for a long time! Is there a realization we are still stuck in the industrial mode? And what ever happened our world-class social security retirement scheme called the CProvidentF?

Assumption 3: Singapore entrepreneurs are non-existent and our businesses and workers are unable to improve their productivity, even in the medium term of 10-15 years. And since Singaporeans are incapable of having enough babies to revitalize an ageing workforce, we need to continue to bring in cheap foreign labour to keep our businesses alive.

We are in the realm of addiction treatment. The addiction is not to foreign labour, but to cheap labour. Foreign workers are historically incidental to being cheap labour because of the different stages of development of different countries in a globalized capitalist system. Nevertheless, it is an addiction that prevents our businesses and workers from becoming productive. Addiction treatment requires detoxification (from cheap labour lah, not foreigners), medication to reduce withdrawal symptoms (government support for restructuring SMEs and reskilling local workers), and behavioural therapy (productivity work practices). But the government doesn't seem to be very confident we can shake the disease, so seeks to maintain addicted substance abuse, albeit at a lower intensity.

Taken together, the assumptions suggest that the government has more or less given up on Singaporeans and the state on the ability of Singapore society to draw on its inner strength to tackle the demographic challenges. The question is why?