• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: WP Doing Nothing?

The PAP MPs are planning something too ..they have lots more money ...maybe they will invite Psy to perform ...and raise money to buy the new management software ....and give every resident a $1 angpow.

Watch ah, the PAP's event will be super big one.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

“The government annually releases data on the size of the population and some demographic details. However, the government has not been willing to disclose certain other details such as the country of origin of persons in Singapore e.g. the numbers of PRs taken in from specific countries each year. Even at the Parliamentary level, when Members of Parliament had filed questions on how many persons from specific countries had been granted PR status, the standard government answer was that it was unable to provide the data.”

“By contrast, there are other governments which are more transparent e.g. Australia publishes annual breakdowns of their new citizens, indicating the former citizenships held by the new citizens. Will our government be prepared to do so as well, or at least to answer Parliamentary questions to this effect, in line with the PM’s indication of greater openness? Or would the government elaborate on what concerns it has about releasing such information?”

COS 2013 Debates: PMO – Population and Immigration Data (MP Sylvia Lim) : The Workers’ Party of Sing
wp.sg

During the opening of this Parliament in 2011, the Prime Minister said it was necessary to take

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

“In Singapore, our policing models have gone through several milestones. Community Post system, which was then replaced by the Neighbourhood Police Centre model by around the year 2000. After more than 10 years of the NPC model, we now have the recently unveiled COPS or Community Policing System.

It has been publicly stated that the reason for the change to COPS was to adjust to new population trends and to devolve more authority to the local units. I would like government to clarify whether the decision was based on any evidence of what has or has not worked in Singapore or in other countries i.e. to what extent was the decision evidence-based?”

COS 2013 Debates: MHA – Policing (MP Sylvia Lim) : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg

Policing models worldwide are evolving. Most countries start off with traditional, reactive

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"I am glad to hear from Minister Tharman this afternoon that MAS will create
temporary exemptions for the recently announced car loan restrictions for
the disabled and their caregivers which partially addresses the original
intent of my cut.

I have a few clarifications to make based on this announcement:
1. How long will the exemption last, since these are temporary
2. Why this should be temporary rather than a long-term exemption
especially if the affected member is permanently disabled
3. Whether these exemptions can be extended to Families with elderly
dependents who have problems with mobility. These families also
rely the most on cars and will be affected by these changes." - MP Lee Li Lian (7 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: PMO – Car Loans (MP Lee Li Lian) : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg

Madam, I am glad to hear from Minister Tharman this afternoon that MAS will create

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"However, the dollar-for dollar bonus structure tends to favour higher-income groups over those who may be more in need of extra financial help to raise children. Many of the lower-income and middle-income families presently have many financial obligations to meet, leaving them with little cash flow for the month.

Thus, it would not be a surprise that given such circumstances, many lower and even middle income families are not able to put down $6,000 or more in order to receive bonuses from the state."

"I would like to call upon the Ministry to consider removing the dollar-matching requirement for a couple’s first two children in light of the financial realities that I have highlighted above." - MP Lee Li Lian (7 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: PMO – Enhanced Baby Bonus (MP Lee Li Lian) : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg

Madam, the Baby Bonus scheme introduced in April 2001 is a government-led initiative to

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

227022_211352448887076_4552221_s.jpg

[h=2]Budget Speech: Financial Restrictions on Car Ownership
[/h]
by Pritam Singh on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 10:02pm ·

Attached here is the second part of my budget speech on the new restrictions on car ownership.
_________

Madam Speaker, one subject covered in the budget that affects many middle-class Singaporeans are changes to the government’s policies on car ownership. The significance of the budget and associated changes to the government’s car ownership policy led the executive director of a leading dealership to say, “in my 28 years in the trade, this is the most serious development I've seen", while an accounting partner of a big four firm was quoted as saying, “the minister is riding through Singapore’s Sherwood Forest to tax the rich who own high-end property and drive luxury cars.” While I would not take it as far as the accounting partner, as there is much more room for greater progressivity in our tax system, I am in favour of higher taxes paid by those who drive luxury cars.

It was telling that as the Minister spoke about the tiered ARF in his budget, an MAS circular about a cap on loan-to-valuation (LTV) ratios also started making its rounds. The circular established that the new loan quantum for a car with an OMV of less than $20,000 would be 60% of the car price and 50% if the OMV is higher. Significantly, the maximum loan repayment period is now only five years from ten years previously. On one level, the Finance Minister’s budget speech on changes to the ARF appears to continue with the theme of progressive taxation. But the possible effects of the budget announcement and MAS circular taken together leads me to conclude the opposite, that the rich will benefit from the latest changes to our car ownership policies as the latest changes do not address the high disposal income of the rich. In the context of the budget statement, it would have been helpful if the Minister had addressed the changes to the ARF with the policy intent of MAS circular, especially since the two are so inextricably linked.

If these changes were implemented to force Singaporeans to use public transport, the system as it stands, leaves much to be desired, particularly during peak hours. I am not sure what the effects of these latest changes to our car ownership policies will be, as there are differing views on the impact of the latest policy changes on COE prices and as a result, the price of cars. But the effect of the new LTV ratio is likely to felt most acutely by families with two or more children, those with elderly family members or the disabled who need the mobility provided by a car, but are unable to raise the down payment since a larger household size necessarily entails a lower disposable income set aside for the higher down payment required.

There is also the tangential concern about the inability of larger families to purchase a vehicle, which from a policy perspective may well indirectly stymie efforts to promote our Total Fertility Rate (TFR) since the lack of mobility for family leisure, travel and support may well factor into a person’s decision to have fewer children and prejudice those who already have large families. It would be imperative for the government to look at possible tweaks to the system if indeed larger families and families that include disabled Singaporeans, or elderly parents are genuinely affected, as the effects of the new policy kick in over the next few months. One specific way could be to raise the LTV ratio for cars back to 70% as it was previously, but only for families with 2 or more children so as to buttress and incentivise the government’s efforts to raise TFR.

Madam Speaker, it would be a tragedy if younger Singaporeans included the inability to purchase a car as a reason for wanting to look abroad for greener pastures, in addition to the visceral insecurity of a more crowded Singapore in future. It may be helpful for the government to solicit feedback from Singaporeans about our car ownership policy going forward particularly on the aspirations of owning a car, even if the stated objective of this policy is to discourage Singaporeans from over-leveraging. This may even entail a deeper look into the COE system or even larger national considerations such as the future population size of Singapore, so that the policy fear of a more crowded Singapore does not operate to scupper the aspirations of Singaporeans to own the car of their dreams; unless of course, the government’s intention, be it directly or indirectly, is to remove the dream of car ownership for middle-class Singaporeans.

On the flip side, I am encouraged by tweaks to the COE policy that give greater business flexibility to SMEs. In January 2013, I asked the Minister for Transport in a parliamentary question whether the Ministry will consider reviewing the COE bidding system for goods vehicles and buses to alleviate the costs of doing business for small businesses and SMEs. While the Minister replied that there were no plans to review the COE system for the said category, he did say that as part of Budget 2013, his Ministry would carefully consider if more help was needed.

To this extent, I welcome the flexibility granted to commercial vehicle owners whose vehicles reach the end of their ten-year COE, as they can now choose to renew their COEs for five years in the first instance, and a further five years later. Likewise the granting of a one-year 30% road tax rebate for goods vehicles, buses and taxis is also welcome. It would be helpful if the government could make the extension of such road tax grants permanent, especially for the mom-and-pop SMEs with a headcount of 5 or less when COE prices reach astronomically high levels, as they have been in the recent past for Cat C COEs. In addition, as some SMEs owners, particularly hawkers and sundry store owners work with narrow margins, it may be useful to look into allowing Cat C COE holders to extend their COE every 30 months (two and a half years) rather than every five years as the budget has announced. Such a move would allow for even greater flexibility for SMEs and also indirectly nudge SME owners to consider putting an older vehicle off the road since the decision making cycle on renewing a COE would be shorter.

Madam Speaker, post-budget, the Finance Minister acknowledged that the country continues to be in an unhappy part of the property cycle, following up from the budget speech that reiterates the government will spare no effort resolving the pressing challenges facing housing and transport. While I look forward to the resolution of these problems, it would be equally important for the government to explain the reasons behind significant policy shifts instead of leaving Singaporeans to second-guess the government’s real purpose, as has been the feedback for MAS’ changes to the car-ownership policy. Such engagement would help reduce unpredictability, encourage a more participatory democracy and allow Singaporeans to plan for their future with more certainty.

Ends.

Picture source: http://ride.asiaone.com
225431_541104859245165_1420773467_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

40190_149674681715790_2741543_t.jpg
[h=2]Parliament Highlights – The Budget Debate 2013
[/h]
by The Workers' Party on Friday, March 8, 2013 at 2:48pm ·

Here are some highlights from Workers' Party MPs' speeches during the Budget debate in Parliament on 5-6 March 2013.

Ms Sylvia Lim, MP for Aljunied GRC
A more progressive tax system:

“What would be the benefits of making our tax system even more progressive? Besides the benefit of mitigating inequalities through re-distribution, having a more progressive tax system is symbolically and psychologically important at the national level. It signifies that Singaporeans are journeying together as one people towards the future, with the stronger helping the weaker.”

"It has been noted by several economists that there is room for further tiering above the $320,000 threshold, as the current tiering catches a wide range of income earners in this top bracket – ranging from a university professor who just makes it to this bracket and a banker who earns millions of dollars a year. I understand that this cut-off of $320,000 has not been adjusted for around a decade, while in the meantime, incomes at the higher ends have soared. There is clearly scope to have more tiers and higher rates, say up to 25%, for those who earn above certain higher thresholds. For instance, those earning above $320,000 and up to $500,000 could continue to be taxed at 20%, those earning between $500,000 to $700,000 at 22%; between $700,000 to $1m at 24%, and above $1m - 25%. Even at a maximum income tax rate of say 25%, such a top rate would still be low globally. While some may argue that such a move might reduce our attractiveness as a destination to high-earners, I believe Singapore would still have major selling points to them, such as the ease of doing business and low corporate tax rates."

Read Ms Lim's full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/03/budget-2013-speech-mp-sylvia-lim/

Mr Png Eng Huat, MP for Hougang SMC
The plight of low wage workers:

"While the budget has addressed the issue of saving more for retirement for low wage workers by increasing their CPF contribution rates, it has not addressed much on containing the rising cost of living. With rising income, low wage workers living in rental flats will also see a corresponding increase in rental rates.”

“Take the example of the 45-year old low wage worker again. If his employer decides to adopt the NWC Guidelines for 2012/2013 to give a $50 wage increase to those earning up to $1,000, his salary will be $850 a month. But unfortunately, if he is living in a 1-room rental flat, his rent will also go up by at least $57 from $33 a month to $90 a month. The entire net increase of $40 in his take home pay is not even enough to service his new rental."

"We must also bear in mind this low wage worker is taking home less pay now because his CPF contribution rate has been revised from 17 to 20 per cent. Factoring in the $70 from his maximum WIS payoutand the subsequent increase in rental, he is better off forgoing the NWC recommended wage increase because he will end up $17 poorer every month.

"The 2.7 times jump in the published rental from $33 to $90 a month for someone whose salary crosses the $800 mark is just too drastic to begin with. I urge the Ministry to look into this and come up with a more reasonable tier so that low wage workers living in rental flats can truly appreciate the benefits of Budget 2013 and any wage increments that come with it. This is the least the government can do for these Singaporeans to make up for those lost years of their working lives earning meagre salaries while helping Singapore to grow."

Read Mr Png’s full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/03/budget-2013-speech-mp-png-eng-huat/

Mr Yee Jenn Jong, NCMP
Industry consolidation:

“In the context of my restructuring experience, survivors changed business processes to become lean. By reducing labour input while maintaining the same financial output, there will be productivity gains. But more critically, to make quantum leaps in productivity, financial output has to be significantly increased without corresponding increase in workforce. This can be done either by expanding the current market or modifying business models to gain new revenue sources or by merger and acquisition. “

"In fragmented industries where there are too many companies chasing the market, it makes sense to consolidate. Merger and acquisition done strategically could boost revenues or result in greater manpower efficiency. In Budget 2010, the government implemented the mergers and acquisitions, or M&A scheme. The scheme is hardly attractive as it allows M&A allowance of 5% of the value of acquisition as tax allowance. Budget 2012 provided for 200% tax allowance on transaction costs. Transaction costs cover professional fees, legal fees and valuation fees. These two provisions benefit mainly large transactions. To encourage M&A activities amongst SMEs, we need the scheme to be more targeted. The M&A scheme could be graduated to allow higher allowances for smaller SME consolidation and M&A transactions. For example allowance could be 30% for deal size of $500,000 or below, another scale at $1 million, and a further lower rate at say $5 million. This would cover the typical deal size for acquisition of smaller SMEs. The current scheme allows only for outright purchase of shares. Many acquirers prefer to buy over operations and businesses of SMEs, but not the entire company as they do not wish to be entangled with liabilities that may be associated with the target company. We can loosen the definition of M&A to include such type of acquisitions."

Read Mr Yee's full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/03/budget-2013-speech-by-ncmp-yee-jenn-jong/

Mr Gerald Giam, NCMP
Helping SMEs hire more Singaporeans:

"To help SMEs hire more Singaporeans, I would like to propose that the government provide a temporary wage subsidy for SMEs to hire economically inactive and out-of-work Singaporeans. These include homemakers, the unemployed, and some senior citizens and persons with disabilities. This subsidy should be in addition to the existing Special Employment Credit for persons with disabilities and older workers."

"I will call this the “New Hire Wage Credit” scheme. It could pay for one-quarter of the first six months’ salary of each new hire and should be available for the next three years. The New Hire Wage Credit would be available to workers earning less than $4,000 per month or the equivalent in part-time pay, and only SMEs should benefit from it. Companies would only be able to claim the New Hire Wage Credit for a particular position once, and for new hires who have not benefited from the scheme in previous jobs. This would encourage the SME to put in place good HR practices that help retain the staff, and the new hire to stay on the job longer. In addition, to prevent workers from changing jobs just to take advantage of this scheme, companies would only be eligible to claim under this scheme if they hire someone who has been unemployed for at least the last four months."

"With this scheme, SMEs will firstly be able to attract more Singaporeans by offering a higher starting pay. This will help to meet SMEs’ current manpower needs without having to increase the overall foreign worker headcount. Secondly, it will help increase the resident labour force participation rate (LFPR) by increasing the opportunity costs of not working. And thirdly, it will help unemployed Singaporeans to secure jobs."

Read Mr Giam's full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/03/budget-2013-speech-ncmp-gerald-giam/

Mr Muhamad Faisal bin Abdul Manap, MP for Aljunied GRC
Provision of Kindergarten Financial Assistance for families in need:

“In his written answer, the Minister pointed out that there are currently about 240 kindergartens where families can apply for KiFAS (Kindergarten Financial Assistance Scheme). At the same time, it is a known fact that PCF kindergartens are eligible for KIFAS. Incidentally, a quick check on the PCF website would indicate that there are 247 PCF kindergartens in Singapore."

"We must understand the various considerations a parent has in enrolling his/ her child in a preschool. Among the many factors are proximity and the environment provided by the school. Some parents may for convenience sake choose to send their child to a non-PCF kindergarten. For example, in my Kaki Bukit ward, some parents who are unable to obtain a placement at a PCF Kindgarten at Block 519, Bedok North Avenue 1 would have to send their child to a non-PCF kindergarten. Parents would also like to have their children receive their education in their preferred environment in accordance to their beliefs and values. As such, there are parents who send their children to kindergartens run and managed by religious organisations or religious based voluntary welfare organisations."

"My view is simple and I hope that KiFAS can be expanded to all families who are in need. It should be about providing assistance in accordance to economic needs rather than in accordance to one’s choice of kindergartens. KiFAS should be made available to all students who require it and should not be limited solely to the 247 PCF kindergartens."

Read Mr Faisal’s full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/03/budget-2013-speech-mp-muhamad-faisal-bin-abdul-manap/

Ms Lee Li Lian, MP for Punggol East SMC
Building stronger and sustainable families

“Today, families with dependents – those with young children, or those supporting disabled or elderly relatives, face many challenges that need to be addressed. With today’s costs of living, it is a necessity for both parents to work in order to support the family. At the same time, these families require someone to be able to be at home, caring for dependents. Caregiving is a role that is often understated and goes unnoticed in society, yet it is a job that requires a huge amount of dedication and sacrifice, particularly when it comes to looking after the elderly and disabled. Sadly, despite being important pillar of strength for the family and playing a valuable role in society, they do not get sufficient support despite the many personal sacrifices and reduced income that itself can take a toll on the family.”

"I welcome the budget’s initiative to reduce the Foreign Domestic Worker levy from $170 to $120. This will ease costs for many families in Singapore who currently hire domestic helpers. However, especially for families with young children, and those who are looking after the disabled or the elderly, having domestic help is a necessity. For such families it is not a matter of luxury but of pure need, and we should consider waiving the levy for them."

"According to a report in 2011, only 14% of caregivers currently receive support from domestic helpers. More affordable access to foreign domestic workers mean that more caregivers can get assistance and some respite from their responsibilities. This is also in the best interest of caregiver dependents as it reduces the risk of caregivers being burnt out. Caregivers with assistance from domestic helpers can also consider remaining employed either on a part-time or full-time basis. It is reported that 43% of women who are economically inactive have cited care giving and family responsibilities as reasons. Greater access to assistance could help a portion of these women return back to work. This benefits not just the caregiver, who may want to seek personal fulfilment through work, his or her dependent, and also the economy.”

Read Ms Lee's full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/03/budget-2013-speech-mp-lee-li-lian/

Mr Pritam Singh, MP for Aljunied GRC
On changes to the car ownership policy:

"If these changes were implemented to force Singaporeans to use public transport, the system as it stands, leaves much to be desired, particularly during peak hours. I am not sure what the effects of these latest changes to our car ownership policies will be, as there are differing views on the impact of the latest policy changes on COE prices and as a result, the price of cars. But the effect of the new LTV ratio is likely to felt most acutely by families with two or more children, those with elderly family members or the disabled who need the mobility provided by a car, but are unable to raise the down payment since a larger household size necessarily entails a lower disposable income set aside for the higher down payment required.”

“It would be helpful if the government could make the extension of such road tax grants permanent, especially for the mom-and-pop SMEs with a headcount of 5 or less when COE prices reach astronomically high levels, as they have been in the recent past for Cat C COEs. In addition, as some SMEs owners, particularly hawkers and sundry store owners work with narrow margins, it may be useful to look into allowing Cat C COE holders to extend their COE every 30 months (two and a half years) rather than every five years as the budget has announced. Such a move would allow for even greater flexibility for SMEs and also indirectly nudge SME owners to consider putting an older vehicle off the road since the decision making cycle on renewing a COE would be shorter.”

Read Mr Singh's full speech here:
http://wp.sg/2013/03/budget-2013-speech-mp-pritam-singh/

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"Local songwriters, however, cannot live on love and fresh air. The viability of their careers hinges on how much they can earn from their work, and how wide a reach they have. I believe that for those who create original work, especially songs, the government could take a simple measure to boost the sustainability of their careers....

Currently, the government plays music in its building lobbies, phone systems, and at events and occasions. At all these occasions, the government can direct its organisations to routinely include local works as often as possible. This will not increase costs for the government, as it would have had to pay royalties for music played anyway. However, this move will ensure that our local songs / music account for a good share of the royalties paid. This will also increase their public following, with more members of the public recognizing and appreciating local songs." ~ MP Sylvia Lim (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MCI – Sustaining Singaporean creative musicians (MP Sylvia Lim)
wp.sg
An integral part of evolving Singapore’s identity must include encouraging the creation and promotion of local music. Original music tells the world about local rhythms and sounds. When words are put to music, the

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"In other countries, video recording has been found to save police and court time, as both sides may decide not to pursue certain matters after viewing the recording. At the same time, it is a safeguard to maintaining high standards of law enforcement. We in Singapore may need this safeguard even more, since an arrested person’s right to see counsel under arrest is so limited. Would the government at least re-think its position on this issue, or pilot some trials?" ~ MP Sylvia Lim (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MinLaw – Criminal Procedure (MP Sylvia Lim) : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg
First, I would like to re-visit the suggestion to video-record the statements given by accused persons in custody. This practice of video-recording is in place in several advanced jurisdictions including Australia,

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"The Minister said in February this year that the prices of new HDB flats have been “delinked” from resale flat prices by varying the quantum of discounts applied to the selling price. He said that HDB will continue with this pricing policy for as long as “property remains hot”.

What is the criteria he will use to determine if the housing market is cool enough, resulting in the prices of new and resale flats being “linked” once again?

Would HDB consider permanently delinking the price of new and resale flats, so new flat buyers are not at the mercy of resale flat prices, which the Minister has said he is not able to control?" ~ NCMP Gerald Giam (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Pricing of HDB flats (NCMP Gerald Giam)
wp.sg
The Minister said in February this year that the prices of new HDB flats have been “delinked” from resale flat prices by varying the quantum of discounts applied to the selling price. He said that HDB will continue with this pricing policy for as long as “property remains hot”.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"The Minister has said that once the HDB clears the backlog of first-timer married couples with children, the HDB can extend the PPS to married couples without children. Will this mean that all first-timer married couples—with or without children—will be allocated 30% of BTO flats and 50% of SBF flats, or will married couples without children have a separate allocation? I think more clarity on this will help prospective home buyers better plan their flat applications.

To get a sense of the size of the backlog, for the BTO launch in January 2013 during which PPS was first offered, what proportion of PPS applicants had unsuccessful applications for previous BTO launches?" ~ NCMP Gerald Giam (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Parenthood Priority Scheme (NCMP Gerald Giam)
wp.sg
In January 2013, the HDB introduced the Parenthood Priority Scheme (PPS) to give priority allocation for new flats to “first-timer” married couples with children. Under this scheme, 30% of BTO (Built-to-Order)

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"Some of the blocks in my ward, specifically those at Jalan Damai between block 650 and 672 are less than 20 years old. As it stands, they are not likely to be eligible for major upgrading soon as there are other older blocks in the Town that are in more urgent need of upgrading.

As the precinct I mention is only served by MSCPs, and not open carparks like in older HDB estates, it is inevitable that the parking demand is very high – a point that is repeatedly made to me by residents during housevisits.

Can I ask the Minister if the HDB has planned for a schedule when the MSCPs in such precincts throughout Singapore will get their lifts?" ~ MP Pritam Singh (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Lifts in HDB Multi-storey Carparks (MP Pritam Singh)
wp.sg
Last year, the MND announced its plans to build lifts for all HDB multi-storey carparks (MSCP) with the project expected to be completed by 2017.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"The government has previously said that smaller flats do not have to mean a lower quality of living because the living space per person has actually increased over time due to smaller families. But after the passing of the population white paper, there is an irony in this position.

In light of our urgent need to raise our TFR and to encourage families to have more children and separately, the government’s stated intention for a larger population, wouldn’t there be an argument for the government consider building HDB flats which were of the size of those built prior to 1997, so as to plan for flat sizes that anticipate and even encourage a rise in TFR?" ~ MP Pritam Singh (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – New-Generation HDB flats (MP Pritam Singh) : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg
Sir, the gist of this cut is to understand the HDB’s plans for larger BTO flats going forward and separately, the size of flats for Singaporean

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"For a Town Council, the definition of what constitutes “common property” is of paramount importance as it has legal responsibility for it and must bear the cost of maintaining it. Under the TCA, the definition of “common property” is any property which is not comprised in the flats, subject to certain named inclusions and exclusions. [...]

So for bamboo pole holders, the flat lessee is responsible for routine maintenance, but cost of replacement is to be shared between the lessee and Town Councils. As for air-con ledges and panels, Town Councils are responsible where an air-conditioner has not been installed but where it has been, the responsibility for repairs and replacement rests with the flat lessee. [...]

In comparison, the definition of “common property” under the BMSMA is much more practical and clear. In addition to being “not comprised in any lot”, property is only deemed “common” if it is “used or capable of being used or enjoyed by occupiers of 2 or more lots” i.e. units.

If this definition was adopted for HDB estates, the bamboo pole holders and air-con panels or ledges would not be common property but would be properly the responsibility of HDB or the lessee. Such a definition would enable Town Councils to focus on property for common use and give rise to a more equitable allocation of expenses." ~ MP Sylvia Lim (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Town Council Management (MP Sylvia Lim)
wp.sg
At the outset, I wish to clarify that my cut today will not touch on matters currently being studied by MND under the review ordered by the Prime Minister. As the review is still in progress and I am assisting in the review, those matters will be deferred to after the review. For

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"In April 2012, IDA launched a Call-for-Collaboration (CFC) to conduct pilots with industry partners in home-based work and the setting up of Smart Work Centres, to encourage employers to adopt flexible working arrangements through the use of infocomm technology."

"The key to the initiative is for Next Gen Nationwide Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN) to connect 95% of Singapore by mid-2012 to further support and encourage home-based work initiatives."

"I would like to ask the Minister what milestone has been achieved and what progress has been made since?
Apart from connecting homes to Next Gen broadband network, other factors such as Internet speed is also critical to support Home-Based Work initiatives. Is there a reason why speed is not included as one of the compliance KPI for IDA’s quality standard?" - MP Low Thia Khiang (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MCI – Home-Based Work Initiatives (MP Low Thia Khiang) : The Workers’ Party of Sin
wp.sg
Ministry of Manpower (MOM) announced at last year Budget COS that the Tripartite Committee on Work-Life Strategy had formed a workgroup on homeshoring. The workgroup comprises representatives from MOM, IDA, NTUC and SNEF.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"I would like to request the MND to consider rolling out the following initiatives as soon as possible to all eligible HDB Towns in view of the national push towards productivity and escalating costs of town maintenance."

"I think many precincts could benefit from the following Greenprint initiative:"

"A. Pneumatic refuse collection system
The old design of individual bin chute system in older HDB estate with daily manual collection is a low productivity design and is not cost effective. Residents also often have to live with foul smell during the collection. A modified centralized refuse collection system would increase productivity in town maintenance and reduce the cost of manpower in conservancy work."

"B. Energy and water saving solutions for common area.
Water and electricity cost is one the big expenditure items in Town Council management. Initiative on water saving device and exploring new source of energy for common area not only can achieve the green effect, but also save cost." - MP Low Thia Khiang (8 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Greenprint Initiative (MP Low Thia Khiang) : The Workers’ Party of Singapore
wp.sg
I understand that the HDB has launched the Greenprint initiative last year and works under the scope will be carried out in 2013 and 2014 under the pilot project at Jurong East.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"Many Singaporeans worry about rising electricity bills. According to the Singapore Energy Statistics (SES) 2012 released by Energy Market Authority (EMA), the price index for electricity tariff that applies to households has seen an increase of about 47% from 2005 to 2011. [...]

To date, the household market, which accounts for about 25% of the total electricity demand, is still not yet contestable. The EMA says that Full Retail Contestability is still under review." ~ MP Sylvia Lim (11 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MTI – Electricity for Households (MP Sylvia Lim)
wp.sg
Many Singaporeans worry about rising electricity bills. According to the Singapore Energy Statistics (SES) 2012 released by Energy Market Authority (EMA), the price index for electricity tariff that applies to

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"Livability is not just about buildable infrastructure. Sustainability of our natural habitat is also important. [...]

A comprehensive environmental impact assessment (or EIA) should precede major developments. Many countries already require EIA before starting on projects. By alerting us to the potential hazards that may arise, precautionary measures can be taken.

An example is the urbanization of a grass knoll to house Ion Orchard. Preventive measures could have been taken if nearby complexes and authorities were alerted to potential problems arising from the development." ~ NCMP Yee Jenn Jong (11 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Environmental Impact Assessment (NCMP Yee Jenn Jong)
wp.sg
Madam, much has been said about infrastructure in the Land Use Plan. Livability is not just about buildable infrastructure. Sustainability of our natural habitat is also important.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"Mdm, many members in this house have written countless letters to the HDB on behalf of their respective constituents on many related issues such as rental housing, waiver of housing levy or the lowering of rental fees. [...]

Each appeal letter represents a hope and a bond of trust that the resident has placed in the judgment and abilities of the ministry and its officials to alleviate their most immediate problems.

More care should be given and more time should be spent in assessing cases and the nature of the appeal. Each family is different and the situation of members in each family is unique and hence more time and flexibility need to be exercised when assessing the eligibility and merits of each appeal.

Under such a circumstance, voluntary welfare organisations (VWOs) and family service centres (FSCs) on the ground, equipped with the relevant resources and human expertise can work with the ministry to better assess the needs of each resident.

This can add a human face and a compassionate touch to the lives of our people when they deal with agencies and bureaucracies." ~ MP Muhamad Faisal Bin Abdul Manap (11 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Collaboration between HDB and VWOs (MP Muhamad Faisal Bin Abdul Manap)
wp.sg

Mdm, many members in this house have written countless letters to the HDB on behalf of their

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"I recall one of my residents who came to seek my help at my Meet-the-People session. He is a low-income earner with 5 young children under his care.

He was left stranded and homeless and his family has to resort to sleeping in a tentage by the beach after he had exhausted all of his sales proceeds on renting a flat from the open market.

Officers from the Ministry of Social and Family Development subsequently picked him up and his family was placed in a community shelter.

During the 30-months long period in which he was unable to rent a flat from the HDB, he built up another series of arrears as a result of his tight financial situation where the bulk of his proceeds went to servicing his rental commitments.

Today even though he has been allocated a HDB rental flat, he is still struggling to pay off the arrears he accumulated during the 30 months long period. The family remains trapped in the debt cycle.

The case I have illustrated is not unique. [...] I would like to call upon the Minister to consider to exempt the lower income family from the debarment policy or at least reducing the debarment period for renting a HDB flat from the current 30 months to a period not exceeding 12 months, preferably between 10 to 12 months. Such a move would be most welcomed by many lower income families." ~ MP Muhamad Faisal Bin Abdul Manap (11 March 2013)

COS 2013 Debates: MND – Debarment Period For Rental Housing (MP Muhamad Faisal Bin Abdul Manap)
wp.sg

Mdm, in my previous cut on the housing resale levy issue, I have depicted the circumstances in which lower income families have been requested