• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The day old man was asked to go.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looking at what he said, and reading in between the lines, the bigger GRCs are meant to 'disable' the opposition based on the limited number of candidates they are able to recruit. But times have changed between the interview and today. Totally different ball game but in a way, the PAP is stuck with their own outdated rules.

Two or more 'Aljunieds' and it will haunt them further. They will come out with other ideas thereafter. As long as opposition is able to attract talent, no way for the PAP to cruise to easy victory.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The next day, SPH carried an article where they mentioned an NTUC taxi uncle saying and that the girls were rude to the old man. They could not find any other criticism about the participants.

It's good the ladies were garang, and they really took advantage of their gender to push hard.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The next day, SPH carried an article where they mentioned an NTUC taxi uncle saying and that the girls were rude to the old man. They could not find any other criticism about the participants.

Was taxi uncle identified? Sure to be from the RC.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
He kept referring to his hard disk of 47 years. If I were there, I would remind him that all the 40+ years of knowledge is applicable only to those over 55 now. I would tell him he has zilch experience and knowledge of voters younger than 30, so his hard disk is useless. No point rehashing something that succeeded years ago and no longer reverberating with the younger set. Yeah, why nobody told him those days the policemen wore shorts.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He kept referring to his hard disk of 47 years. If I were there, I would remind him that all the 40+ years of knowledge is applicable only to those over 55 now. I would tell him he has zilch experience and knowledge of voters younger than 30, so his hard disk is useless. No point rehashing something that succeeded years ago and no longer reverberating with the younger set. Yeah, why nobody told him those days the policemen wore shorts.

And this is actually one of the saddest part - that no one has told him that he is no longer relevant.
The kids on the programme were quite spunky, I thought, interrupting him quite a few times.
And you can see that Ken Kwek was not exactly intimidated, national TV notwithstanding.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here is the full version of that interview.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6dPStn9TEWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking at what he said, and reading in between the lines, the bigger GRCs are meant to 'disable' the opposition based on the limited number of candidates they are able to recruit. But times have changed between the interview and today. Totally different ball game but in a way, the PAP is stuck with their own outdated rules.

Tables have turned actually. Now they might lose more seats at one go. They may just start fix it at 3 man grcs to stem the tide.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is one significant contradiction here.
First, he said that his son and colleagues said they felt he can still contribute. Which means they seek his advice.
But he also said, in response to a question, that his son was his own man and made up his own mind.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
At that time there were 2 cabinet meeting, one with him and one without, back to back.

There is one significant contradiction here.
First, he said that his son and colleagues said they felt he can still contribute. Which means they seek his advice.
But he also said, in response to a question, that his son was his own man and made up his own mind.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
At that time there were 2 cabinet meeting, one with him and one without, back to back.

And that's his son's cabinet. I have considerable sympathy for Woody having to conduct affairs under his baleful eye. All the while he was adamant that his son would have been PM instead of Woody had LHL had different parents. Woody's awkwardness aside at least people liked him and backed him despite some misgivings. I think Woody never forgot his roots. The push for high ministerial salaries came under his watch but who do you think was behind it. Woody himself forwent the salary jump for some months voluntarily.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
.....that his son was his own man and made up his own mind.

Common sense tells us that if you have a forceful and intelligent father, who knew more about worldly affairs than you could learn from textbooks, would you not ask your father for advice and then act on that advice?

If I had such a father, I would consult him like a temple medium before making each political move.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Now, I remember reading about this in the Shitty Times. They had a preliminary meeting to iron out the differences, and then he drops by for the second meeting, to put his thumbprint.

I guess that explains his earlier statements that if he did no like the way things were being done, he will rise from the grave.

It is indeed a grave matter.

So, it becomes a matter of life and death.

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ken Kwek went on to write the screenplay for the excellent Glen Goei movie, The Blue Mansion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Mansion

Blue Mansion.jpg

If you haven't seen this film, you really need to get your hands on a DVD.

You'll know what I mean once you've seen it!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Common sense tells us that if you have a forceful and intelligent father, who knew more about worldly affairs than you could learn from textbooks, would you not ask your father for advice and then act on that advice?

If I had such a father, I would consult him like a temple medium before making each political move.

You really think LKY is an Oracle ? Bao JIA ?

Of course if you win, you can spread all kind of lies like Singapore was a fishing village when PAP came into Power. PAP transform this sleeping village into a Mega Metrapolis. If you can twist and turn anyway you like to suit your own selfish agenda, you be like GOD.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, staged, just like WWE wrestling matches. Someone plays the good guy, another plays the bad guy, but Vince McMahon makes the outcome.

At least with wrestling, you get good entertainment. U can only expect cheap laughs and high handed threats from PAPpies.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue arose when GLCs began to up the salary of its senior management. So the pipeline to politics began to be constricted. Scholars preferred to move to GLCs.

Then Shaun Seow, a President scholar left Ministry of Trade and Industry for SPH for a whopping $200k plus. Old man then decided to act.

Yes, it was during GCT's time. Old man mentioned in parliament that it was difficult for the PM to initiate the increase as a prospective beneficiary.

The formula however was a joke. It compared to those who actually took personal risk and did not have golden parachute or a GLC to move to if they failed.

And that's his son's cabinet. I have considerable sympathy for Woody having to conduct affairs under his baleful eye. All the while he was adamant that his son would have been PM instead of Woody had LHL had different parents. Woody's awkwardness aside at least people liked him and backed him despite some misgivings. I think Woody never forgot his roots. The push for high ministerial salaries came under his watch but who do you think was behind it. Woody himself forwent the salary jump for some months voluntarily.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I remember watching this one when it was aired. Don't think it was staged. Listening to his reasons now, it is easier to detect all the bs and the bullying.

It does not matter to 60.1% of the assholes in this country. Some people will worship the shit that comes out of his mouth like pearls. Anyway with an oz. of logic can reason out for themselves that its all bs. But than there are the rest who think he is right and will come out with all sorts of justifications to say that he makes sense. You can't beat these idiots and unfortunately, they currently constitute the majority of voters.