• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The day old man was asked to go.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Looking at what he said, and reading in between the lines, the bigger GRCs are meant to 'disable' the opposition based on the limited number of candidates they are able to recruit. But times have changed between the interview and today. Totally different ball game but in a way, the PAP is stuck with their own outdated rules.

The rules are not outdated, they have just been burnt by their own rules. They thought that they will be winning elections by landslide after landslide. It never occurred to them that big GRCs are a double edged sword. Not only can you put thru a lot of your candidates in one fell swoop, but it works the other way too in that it can put thru a lot of oppo candidates in one move too. Now the ground sentiment has moved against them, and they cannot count on limitless support from the populace. The PAP ARE NOT THE SMARTEST PEOPLE IN THE ROOM. if they were smart, they would have dismantled the GRC system after the last elections and go back to single wards. I estimate that they will win less than 50% of the popular vote in the next GE, unless Old Goat dies and they get a groundswell of support. this means that you can expect to see one or 2 more GRCs falling to the oppo, and they continuing to keep the one they have.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
When GCT came to power, he suggested reducing GRC and make it smaller. When he was badly mauled by Chiam and gang in 1991, he immediately made a U-turn and it was him that created the super GRCs.

Together with the highest deposit required anywhere in the world, the GRc concept is simple - it's a deterrent and it works. Very few people are prepared to take on the PAP, let alone finding the right people to form a party and risk losing the huge deposit is a factor.

The deposit is a function of the salary of an MP. Because you have the highest paid politicians in the world, the deposit (at 8% of their pay) is also large. but I disagree on the depoit being a deterrent. the deposit is only $16,500 as it stands. yes, its an obsence amount of money compared to other countries. The real incentive to run now is because of the huge salary. Where else can you get a part time job ( and I mean a minimal part time job) that pays $16,000 a month, and you still get to keep your full time job? Plus, it becomes fully pensionable for life after one term, plus all the health benefits that you can get. In addition, you might be asked to join various and assorted GLCs, Stat Boards, and collect director fees that way too. Young smart educated people who don't care about politics should be flocking to WP to ask to be a candidate at the next elections. For that kind of money, it becomes a career, and worth putting up with harassment and intimidation. The PAP basically is attracting mercenaries at all levels of the govt. and this will also happen to the oppo parties. This is why once elected, you don't hear a squeek from them anymore.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where else can you get a part time job ( and I mean a minimal part time job) that pays $16,000 a month, and you still get to keep your full time job? Plus, it becomes fully pensionable for life after one term, plus all the health benefits that you can get..
hahaha... truely an empty vessel, always caught bullshitting when it cums to fact.....
u really have a thick hide also....buay paiseh.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
And this is actually one of the saddest part - that no one has told him that he is no longer relevant.
The kids on the programme were quite spunky, I thought, interrupting him quite a few times.
And you can see that Ken Kwek was not exactly intimidated, national TV notwithstanding.

Ken Kwek is the son of a somebody and lived a privileged life, he was educated at cambridge with his own family's money. When you are exposed to real western style democracy in the UK, as he was, you know bullshit when you hear it. as such he called out Old goat on it. He left ST shortly after this interview, not sure whether it was voluntary or not. but he is a film producer and playwright now.

People here in the forum and in SIngapore should have faith that there are many such smart, articulate people like Ken Kwek around. They are not interested in politics because the PAP has made it almost a crime to be on the wrong side of the political table. they will sue u, intimidate u, tap and monitor you phone and email, etc. People like this need some sign from the vast unwashed masses that the tide has really turned against the PAP, and you will hopefully see them making some sort of solid contribution to the country, when they don't have to deal with the PAP Gestapo.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
are all politicians like that? self serving?

when u make it all about money, its a lot harder to find the ones that truly want to serve. lets face it, Obama could earn a lot more money as a lawyer in Chicago, and who wants to put up with assasination attempts, media scrutiny of your life and your family, etc. He thinks he offers the best hope of a better time for Americans. and he is not in it for the money. Agree or disagree with his policies, but you cannot say that money was his motive.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
And that's his son's cabinet. I have considerable sympathy for Woody having to conduct affairs under his baleful eye. All the while he was adamant that his son would have been PM instead of Woody had LHL had different parents. Woody's awkwardness aside at least people liked him and backed him despite some misgivings. I think Woody never forgot his roots. The push for high ministerial salaries came under his watch but who do you think was behind it. Woody himself forwent the salary jump for some months voluntarily.

U must have the memory of an alzheimers sufferer. Sympathy for wooden? He is a star asshole in the PAP pantheon. who was it that covered up for the Lees over the HPL Nassim jade corruption condo buying scheme? he should have ordered the CPIB to investigate the whole thing instead of getting MAS to brush it under the carpet.

Who was it that stood side by side with Lee Con You to sue JB, AWSJ, etc. and collect millions in damages?

this fucker never fought for one day for singaporeans. I never saw him turn down that leeching appointment known as senior minister. Just so he can suck extra millions from taxpayers instead of retiring. Look at all the mess now, FTs coming in by the millions to take sinkie jobs, riots, disease, expensive housing, etc. DID YOU EVER HEAR HIM COME OUT TO DEFEND SINGAPOREANS AGAINST ALL THESE POLICIES? U better wake up your ideas, sympathy my ass.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
....Agree or disagree with his policies, but you say that money was his motive.

Yes, in USA it is a distinction to serve the country, whether in the armed forces or in the Govt. Obama is certainly not seeking fame or glory or money when he entered politics and eventually became President. In sinkie land, there is one pappy woman MP who said that cutting MP's remuneration would make it not worthwhile for her to serve. Can't recall her name now.

It is hard to forget what President JFK said about "ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country."

Last edited:

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, in USA it is a distinction to serve the country, whether in the armed forces or in the Govt. Obama is certainly not seeking fame or glory or money when he entered politics and eventually became President. In sinkie land, there is one pappy woman MP who said that cutting MP's remuneration would make it not worthwhile for her to serve. Can't recall her name now.

It is hard to forget what President JFK said about "ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country."

Dis-Grace Fu was the the one that said "If the balance is tilted further in the future, it will make it harder for anyone considering political office.".

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
....I estimate that they will win less than 50% of the popular vote in the next GE, unless Old Goat dies and they get a groundswell of support. this means that you can expect to see one or 2 more GRCs falling to the oppo, and they continuing to keep the one they have.

In reality, whether LKY lives or dies by next GE2016, it has nothing to do with pappies getting more votes or losing more seats. LKY and his political exploits in the old days are nothing of sentimental value to the young generation voters, who will vote for oppo parties if fed up with pappies' policies of favouring foreigners.

The old generation from 1950s and 1960s may also have moved over to supporting oppo parties long time ago after being jobless due to influx of FTsh.

Groundswell of support is likely from the new import of foreign shitizens who will vote for pappies as they do not want oppo parties to kick their arse.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The deposit is not an issue for those who have the means. But there must be very capable MP material that cannot afford it. Especially in a GRC where your fortunes are tied to others.

The deposit is a function of the salary of an MP. Because you have the highest paid politicians in the world, the deposit (at 8% of their pay) is also large. but I disagree on the depoit being a deterrent. the deposit is only $16,500 as it stands. yes, its an obsence amount of money compared to other countries. .

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I believe LKY pushed for market related pay because he felt public service was a thankless task. Actually I have some sympathy for that view. However, as they are paid market related pay, we shouldn't be in debt to them in any way now or after they leave office. Unless of course they have been really outstanding.

Last edited:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do not know what Obama was seeking but hardly big bucks. However for an ex-president, money will never be a problem. Fame and Glory may have featured in this thinking but the price is really high. Obama had a best selling book to his name already when he thought about the Presidency. He was already famous. There had to be something inside him that said , "it is my responsibility to run". The only people who have that sense are in the opposition. The rest see it as a reward in the meritocratic race.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I believe LKY pushed for market related pay because he felt public service was a thankless task. Actually I have some sympathy for that view. However, as they are paid market related pay, we shouldn't be in debt to them in any way now or after they leave office. Unless of course they have been really outstanding.

What a bunch of crock. When was the last time you heard of a CEO in the real market economy losing billions of $ on incompetent purchases and not getting fired? U want to have a market related pay, than you must have market related consequences when u fail. The PAP is having their fucking cake and eating it too. Surprised u cannot see that.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
And this is actually one of the saddest part - that no one has told him that he is no longer relevant.
The kids on the programme were quite spunky, I thought, interrupting him quite a few times.
And you can see that Ken Kwek was not exactly intimidated, national TV notwithstanding.

During the interview, you could see that LKY regretted having agreed to take part. He was quite exasperated when grilled and if he had his way, he would have got up and walked off or told the youngsters to shut up.

LKY is not the kind of guy to be challenged. He can challenge you but you cannot challenge him. The youngsters did not understand it and mistook him for a grandfatherly figure. In one seminar, one stupid pinoy asked him a question about his private life and was instantly cut dead on the spot.

Last edited:

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During the interview, you could see that LKY regretted having agreed to take part. He was quite exasperated when grilled and if he had his way, he would have got up and walked off or told the youngsters to shut up.

LKY is not the kind of guy to be challenged. He can challenge you but you cannot challenge him. The youngsters did not understand it and mistook him for a grandfatherly figure. In one seminar, one stupid pinoy asked him a question about his private life and was instantly cut dead on the spot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bsPQo6OXJAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a bunch of crock. When was the last time you heard of a CEO in the real market economy losing billions of $ on incompetent purchases and not getting fired? U want to have a market related pay, than you must have market related consequences when u fail. The PAP is having their fucking cake and eating it too. Surprised u cannot see that.

When I say we are not indebted to them whether still in office or not it means when they screw up they should go.