• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

taxi driver with PhD from Stanford

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

A Singapore Taxi Driver's Diary

Probably the only taxi driver in this world with a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of scientific accomplishments, I have been forced out of my research job at the height of my scientific career, and unable to find another one, for reasons I can only describe as something "uniquely Singapore". As a result, I am driving taxi to make a living and writing these real life stories just to make the dull job a little more interesting. I hope that these stories are interesting to you too.

<!-- google_ad_section_start(name=default) -->Monday, April 6, 2009

Preface

Preface

Since the takeover of leadership by some western “big shots” a few years ago, the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) of ASTAR, Singapore, a place I have worked for 16 years as a PI (principal investigator), a place that was once flourishing, promising, and pleasant to work in, has been in a mess. Bestowed with the kind of power they had never seen before, these once reputable scientists turned everything in the institute upside down. The previous democratic and consensus-oriented management system that had worked well for more than a decade in the past was thrown out of window and replaced by one that was marked by domineering, manipulation, and incompetence. What they lacked in experience of management, adequate understanding of the institute, and proper respect for fellow scientists as their colleagues, they made up for in arrogance, prejudice, and naked muscle of political power. Some PIs were sent packing, and some were promoted, all up to the new leadership’s manipulative and twisted standards. Despite my considerable contribution to building up this place into what it is today, I was among the first few PIs to be told to go. My employment contract with IMCB was terminated by May, 2008, without any forms of compensation given.

I was hence forced into a deeply difficult position. Becoming jobless at my age is perhaps the worst nightmare that can happen to any ordinary man, not to mention the loss of life-long career. Ever since I was informed of their decision sometime in 2007, when the economy was still booming, I had been trying hard to find a job. I had submitted countless CV and application letters to various places in Singapore including universities, government agencies, and private companies. Most of them, however, never responded. A couple of replies I did receive never materialized into anything positive. Later, the outburst of financial crisis world wide helped extinguish my last hope of finding a job anytime soon. By November 2008, I finally made a decision to become a taxi driver.

At the time like this, the taxi business is probably the only business in Singapore that still actively recruits people. I signed up for a training course run by a government-linked transport company in November, with a course fee of nearly $280. On paper, the Express Taxi Driver’s Vocational License Course, or TDVL, is supposed to run six days a week, five hours a day. But in reality, the daily course never lasted longer than 3 hours. The whole purpose of the course was to help you pass the test and get the license. It was divided into five sections, Rules and regulations, Routes and landmarks, Names and locations of buildings, Defensive driving, and General paper, which included subjects such as highway codes, vehicle maintenance, healthy living, etc. The instructors were either veteran taxi drivers or representatives from government agencies such as Land Transport Authority (LTA).

My class started on 1st of December, 2008, which consisted of more than 30 people. There were three classes running at the same time and all were about this size. The course was very easy. Every day, the instructors told us what to highlight on the manual and asked us to memorize them because these were the materials that were going to be tested. As long as you did that, it was impossible to fail the test. Even if you fail, you still have one year to take an unrestricted number of retest. With such ease, no wonder there are nearly 100,000 people possessing taxi driver’s license today in Singapore, almost 3 for every 100 Singapore citizens, children and infants included.

By the end of February this year, I finally received my taxi driver’s license, and thus began my new taxi driver’s career. This blog records some of the events that I have experienced as a taxi driver. They are all actual events and are presented as truthfully as possible. Special precautions have been taken to avoid revealing any specific information which may help in any way the identification of the persons described in these events. The purpose of this blog is to provide readers with the first hand accounts of my experience of converting from a veteran scientist to a rookie taxi driver in today’s Singapore. The views and encounters described in this blog may be insignificant, isolated, or biased. Nevertheless, I am sure some readers will find this blog interesting and helpful in widening their general perspectives on Singapore.

Finally, I want to thank my family for their trust and support, and for always being at my side to endure with me the trauma, the distress and the anxiety caused by my job loss. I also want to thank all of my customers, especially the ones who have shown their grace, kindness, and understanding to me when I made mistakes during my work. They are the important factor to encourage me to carry on.

Posted by Mingjie Cai at <A class=timestamp-link title="permanent link" href="http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/2009/04/preface.html" rel=bookmark><ABBR class=published title=2009-04-06T13:58:00+08:00>1:58 PM</ABBR> 39 comments

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:18 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (3 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.3 in reply to 19208.2 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/2009/08/thank-you-all.html#comments
<DT id=c8175795266473425411 class="comment-author blogger-comment-icon">imcbsg said... <DD class=comment-body>it is wierd feeling to read your blog as an ex-student of yours.
first time when I heard about you becoming a taxi driver, I flashed back the comments and hard time you gave me, sigh, and asked have you ever thinking about what you can give to others to make life easier? or at least in a more pleasant way?

I complain IMCB is far away from a good place for scientific work (research work, maybe), not for professors like you, or students like me. bosses are bosses but not mentors, the training system is like nothing at all...
after complaining, I feel confused since I just started my career here, a NUS PhD must be even much cheaper than a Stanford one, right? and scientific field here fits me or I fits here or not? with own family and a baby, I keep talking to myself that I should wake up and try to work for boss to please him for hopeless promotion or 2% perfomance bonus, or switch to industry for more $$ directly.

there is no way to get a PI position with background like mine, not even yours nowadays, but I may end up like you years later when scholars flood back, with a quarter of your salary. hmm, life is not easier for most of us.
you are individual among PIs, not a good thing to get a comfortable life here. I guess this is the best lessen you gave me. bitter, although.
all the best
<DD class=comment-footer>August 17, 2009 5:17 PM
[email protected]

</DD></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:18 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (5 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.5 in reply to 19208.3 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><DT id=c842779808493578054 class="comment-author blogger-comment-icon">amos said... <DD class=comment-body>A distinguished academic who has done right in the system but has since failed him..... I think its a wake up call for all who reads your daily anecdotes.
I believe you have in ways contributed to the ongoing continued research of which the data remains the property of the government body. Your cultivated thoughts should not be wasted.
Try Canada for a research or lecturing position. I believe your alumni would be able to get a placement for you in this region if not, in Calgary or Vancouver.
Don't waste your time, talent or your late parent's effort by driving a taxi cab in Singapore.
How ironic.... A job that traditionally doesn't require much brains has the best brain onboard navigating...
I personally feel your angst and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
You might be down but certainly not out!

[email protected]

</DD></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot> </TD><TD colSpan=3> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtablealt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:20 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (6 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.6 in reply to 19208.3 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><DT id=c4850410106959208843 class="comment-author blogger-comment-icon">DDS said... <DD class=comment-body>mingjie i m so much like ur situation. new management come in, makes a mess, hardworking efficient people get replaced by white skinned idiots who think their way is the best even when its crap.

15 yrs, 20yrs, 30 yrs loyalty n devotion to the company mean nothing. These idiots fool the sg govn to let them take over our companies then make a mess n after that get big fat pay cheque to leave the company because they make a mess. if not some bigshot who wants to make himself look good to the white man by cutting costs here n there will just kill people off with no regard for them. one day retribution will come for them.

ur talent is wasted in sg. leave this place n go find a way to show these fools what they have missed by letting u go. one day they will come to ur future company looking for collaboration n u can tell them to get lost n tell them exactly why. sg government so supportive of 'foreign talent' dun realise they are all one big boys club here to have fun. why are singapore not proud to have sg born n bread run their companies, they want the white skinned foreigners to run it? yes run it into the ground.

this national day i feel proud tt sg made a name for itself by standing with the big boys in our earlier founding years, but why now we have to kowtow to these people?

go n be what u shud be mingjie, not a taxi driver.

[email protected]

</DD></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtablealt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:23 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (8 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.8 in reply to 19208.7 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><DT id=c7187391425960234350 class="comment-author blogger-comment-icon">Jamie Ee said... <DD class=comment-body>Hi Mr Cai,

I'm Jamie, a journalist from The Straits Times. Would like to get in touch with you. Would really appreciate it if you can email me at [email protected] or call me at 6319-5066. Thank you so much. Regards

[email protected]

</DD></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot> </TD><TD colSpan=3> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:25 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(9 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.9 in reply to 19208.8 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><DT id=c2937038286280435900 class="comment-author openid-comment-icon">sphweiqiang said... <DD class=comment-body>Hi Dr Cai,

I was wondering whether we would have the honour to interview you.

Do kindly contact me at [email protected] and we can discuss the possibilities from there on.

I am hoping to hear from you soon and thank you very much!

Best Regards
WQ

[email protected]

</DD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"></TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:26 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(11 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.11 in reply to 19208.9 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><DT id=c2867870675318652792 class="comment-author blogger-comment-icon">xiaohan said... <DD class=comment-body>Dr Cai,
Wonder if you remember me, Koh Pang who last worked with Wanjin? I was Dr Liu DX's PhD student.
I worked under you few years back when I was in Uni2.
I chanced upon your blog while reading my fellow blog mate's entry in OMY.
Just want to tell you that I really admire your courage and hope that all is well with you.

Best Regards
LKP

[email protected]

</DD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"></TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtablealt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:27 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(12 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.12 in reply to 19208.9 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><DT id=c504679956669514327 class="comment-author blogger-comment-icon">angelinekoh said... <DD class=comment-body>I salute you. I can empathise with you. I am Singaporean degree holder in my early thirties who cannot land a job offer after about 10 interviews after several months, despite my asking salary being only slightly higher than a fresh graduate.I am contemplating if I should go and drive a taxi too if I do not secure any job in the next 1 to 2 months. (I have obtained my driving license after I turned 30.)

[email protected]

</DD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"></TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>1:33 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (13 of 26) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19208.13 in reply to 19208.12 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>March 31, 2009. Tuesday: An old working lady

Late at night, picked up an old lady in Chinatown to go to west coast. I asked her what she was doing at this hour and she said she’s working. I was surprised, as she looked well over 70. I asked why she had to work late into the night. She told me her story.

She came to Singapore with her family in 1942 from Sichuan, China, when she was nine. Her husband had passed away some years ago. For some reason, she didn’t live with her children. Instead, she bought a small HDB flat for herself in west coast after her husband died. Because of her age, the flat must be paid up in 10 years. She has to pay over $1000 a month for the mortgage. She didn’t want support from her children because “they have their own flat to pay for”. She earns $50 a day by working in a restaurant as a cook.

She spoke like a woman who is old but not weak, alone but not forlorn, poor but not without dignity.

I have a soft spot for people like her. I have more respect for them than those who sit high on the social pyramid and have everything, wealth, power, fame, privilege, or whatever they mean by the term "success", revolve around them. Behind the glorious skyscrapers and ravishing neon lights, thousands and thousands of people in this city live their lives like this old woman. They have nothing outside, but they are strong inside. They live at the bottom of the society, but they are the very foundation of it precisely because of that. Without their strength and endurance, this nation, doesn't matter if it is a first or second world country, and doesn't matter how many gold or silver medals it wins in the Olympics, and doesn't matter how many hundreds of billions in its reserves, will inevitably collapse.

At the end of the trip, I wanted to discount her fare by half but she insisted in paying the full amount.

[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that why we said here for long time, there will be no jobs, no gates, no einstein here in singapore. only pap boot lickers, pap arse lickers in top position.

anyone that think outside the box, stray from what pap think mainstream, all basically sideline.

http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

A Singapore Taxi Driver's Diary

Probably the only taxi driver in this world with a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of scientific accomplishments, I have been forced out of my research job at the height of my scientific career, and unable to find another one, for reasons I can only describe as something "uniquely Singapore". As a result, I am driving taxi to make a living and writing these real life stories just to make the dull job a little more interesting. I hope that these stories are interesting to you too.

<!-- google_ad_section_start(name=default) -->Monday, April 6, 2009

Preface

Preface

Since the takeover of leadership by some western “big shots” a few years ago, the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) of ASTAR, Singapore, a place I have worked for 16 years as a PI (principal investigator), a place that was once flourishing, promising, and pleasant to work in, has been in a mess. Bestowed with the kind of power they had never seen before, these once reputable scientists turned everything in the institute upside down. The previous democratic and consensus-oriented management system that had worked well for more than a decade in the past was thrown out of window and replaced by one that was marked by domineering, manipulation, and incompetence. What they lacked in experience of management, adequate understanding of the institute, and proper respect for fellow scientists as their colleagues, they made up for in arrogance, prejudice, and naked muscle of political power. Some PIs were sent packing, and some were promoted, all up to the new leadership’s manipulative and twisted standards. Despite my considerable contribution to building up this place into what it is today, I was among the first few PIs to be told to go. My employment contract with IMCB was terminated by May, 2008, without any forms of compensation given.

I was hence forced into a deeply difficult position. Becoming jobless at my age is perhaps the worst nightmare that can happen to any ordinary man, not to mention the loss of life-long career. Ever since I was informed of their decision sometime in 2007, when the economy was still booming, I had been trying hard to find a job. I had submitted countless CV and application letters to various places in Singapore including universities, government agencies, and private companies. Most of them, however, never responded. A couple of replies I did receive never materialized into anything positive. Later, the outburst of financial crisis world wide helped extinguish my last hope of finding a job anytime soon. By November 2008, I finally made a decision to become a taxi driver.

At the time like this, the taxi business is probably the only business in Singapore that still actively recruits people. I signed up for a training course run by a government-linked transport company in November, with a course fee of nearly $280. On paper, the Express Taxi Driver’s Vocational License Course, or TDVL, is supposed to run six days a week, five hours a day. But in reality, the daily course never lasted longer than 3 hours. The whole purpose of the course was to help you pass the test and get the license. It was divided into five sections, Rules and regulations, Routes and landmarks, Names and locations of buildings, Defensive driving, and General paper, which included subjects such as highway codes, vehicle maintenance, healthy living, etc. The instructors were either veteran taxi drivers or representatives from government agencies such as Land Transport Authority (LTA).

My class started on 1st of December, 2008, which consisted of more than 30 people. There were three classes running at the same time and all were about this size. The course was very easy. Every day, the instructors told us what to highlight on the manual and asked us to memorize them because these were the materials that were going to be tested. As long as you did that, it was impossible to fail the test. Even if you fail, you still have one year to take an unrestricted number of retest. With such ease, no wonder there are nearly 100,000 people possessing taxi driver’s license today in Singapore, almost 3 for every 100 Singapore citizens, children and infants included.

By the end of February this year, I finally received my taxi driver’s license, and thus began my new taxi driver’s career. This blog records some of the events that I have experienced as a taxi driver. They are all actual events and are presented as truthfully as possible. Special precautions have been taken to avoid revealing any specific information which may help in any way the identification of the persons described in these events. The purpose of this blog is to provide readers with the first hand accounts of my experience of converting from a veteran scientist to a rookie taxi driver in today’s Singapore. The views and encounters described in this blog may be insignificant, isolated, or biased. Nevertheless, I am sure some readers will find this blog interesting and helpful in widening their general perspectives on Singapore.

Finally, I want to thank my family for their trust and support, and for always being at my side to endure with me the trauma, the distress and the anxiety caused by my job loss. I also want to thank all of my customers, especially the ones who have shown their grace, kindness, and understanding to me when I made mistakes during my work. They are the important factor to encourage me to carry on.

Posted by Mingjie Cai at <A class=timestamp-link title="permanent link" href="http://taxidiary.blogspot.com/2009/04/preface.html" rel=bookmark><ABBR class=published title=2009-04-06T13:58:00+08:00>1:58 PM</ABBR> 39 comments

angie

Alfrescian
Loyal
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="msghead"><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="msghead"><td class="msgF" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" width="1%">From: </td><td class="msgFname" nowrap="nowrap" width="68%">angie
</td><td class="msgDate" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" width="30%">9:22 pm </td></tr><tr class="msghead"><td class="msgT" align="right" height="20" nowrap="nowrap" width="1%">To: </td><td class="msgTname" nowrap="nowrap" width="68%"> Jamie Ee
</td><td class="msgNum" align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> (8 of 26) </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td class="msgleft" rowspan="4" width="1%">
</td><td class="wintiny" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">19208.8 in reply to 19208.7 </td></tr><tr><td height="8">
</td></tr><tr><td class="msgtxt"><dt id="c7187391425960234350" class="comment-author blogger-comment-icon">Hi Jamie... </dt><dd class="comment-body">
</dd><dd class="comment-body">You seem to be prostituting yourself & i would like to get in touch with u. What are your charges like & what services do u provide? Please email me your photo to [email protected] or call me at 62353535. Thank you so much. Leegards

</dd></td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="msgleft" width="1%">
</td><td class="msgopt" nowrap="nowrap" width="24%">
icon.aspx
Options</td><td class="msgrde" align="middle" nowrap="nowrap" width="50%">
icon.aspx
Reply</td><td class="wintiny" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" width="25%">
</td></tr><tr><td class="msgbfrbot">
</td><td colspan="3">
</td></tr></tbody></table> <!-- / message --> <!-- controls -->

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably his grades sucked, and the awarding college isn't very renowned.

Otherwise he would have applied to be a prof and got it. So much for overeducated underbellies haha.

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, this guy has got the balls to face the harsh facts of life man! Respect!

It looks like the rape of Singapore is getting from bad to worse. Prima facie everything looks nice in Singapore, but beyond the surface we are actually facing serious social issues.... The power balance has been tipped in favour of whatever foreigners that has easily penetrated our country. They are the very reasons why we are facing low and constant wage level despite the ever climbing inflation rate and the lack of job security and welfare for true local born and bred Singaporeans. WTF! Slave for 2years for the government only to become slave for the foreigners for the rest of my life! Where the fuck is my birth rights!?

Nice job PAP fucks! It is quite an acheivement that u fuckers manage to enslave the all male Singapore citizens! :oIo:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On my way home around 1am, I passed by the Cantonment police headquarter and saw three ladies standing under the shadow of trees by the roadside, waiting for a taxi. I stopped and picked them up. Two of them were Chinese and one was Indian, or looked to be. One of the Chinese women sat in the front seat and asked me in a Northern mainland accent to take them to Geylang lor xx.

She was probably in her late twenties, though it was difficult to guess her age with certainty in the hazy glow of yellowish street lights. She leaned her head against the window with eyes closed and arms folded from the moment she settled in, and looked tired and worn out. As I turned around to head to Geylang, she opened her eyes and said faintly, “uncle, can you turn off the aircon, please?”

“Sure, I can turn it down a little.”

“No, please just turn it off. I am freezing to death.”

“Okay, okay.” I turned the aircon off right away.

I was perplexed as I drove along. Being a role model in cost saving vehicle maintenance, my car wasn't exactly very effectively air-conditioned. The air outside was stagnant and heavy with moisture, and the temperature dropped only a few precious degrees since the sun reluctantly went down. This was one of those warm, humid, and breezeless tropical nights we have here for a good part of the year. Just another day in paradise, and yet the ladies were freezing to death.

I peeked at her again. Then I thought I knew why.

“So, what happened?” I asked, after a while of driving in silence.

She sat up, looking a lot better than a few moments ago. “You are from China, too?” She answered a question with a question, as she smoothed her hair with both hands.

“Yes, but I have been here before it snowed last time.” Quickly, I asked again, “What happened to you today?”

“Ah,” she sighed. “We got busted. We were put in a room as cold as ice cave in the building back there since seven o’clock.”

“What have you done? Why did they arrest you?”

“They swept our whole street and arrested at least 70 girls tonight. I was on my way to coffee shop to eat my dinner when someone in plain clothing grabbed my hair from behind and demanded to see my paper. He took my paper and put me in a van and took us all here…”

This surely fit with my own sighting of caravans of police cars and detention vans around Geylang area in recent days. There appeared to be some major crackdown going on.

“Are you staying in Singapore illegally?” I asked.

“I have a white card.”

I didn’t know what that was but I let it go.

“You can’t legally work here as…, you know, what you do, can you?”

“If I don’t stand on street, how can I survive? I need to pay for the rent and food. Don’t I?”

I had no answer to that and remained speechless.

After a while, she broke the silence, “are you a PR now?”

“Citizen,” I replied. “You have to be a citizen to be able to drive this thing.”

“Taxi driver is not a bad job.” She said under her breath, and stared off into a distance far beyond anything in sight.

“Well,” I tried to lighten up the atmosphere a little bit. “You sound like I have an alternative. I wish I had. But I can’t find any thing else to do. So, as a man, this is my only option.”

She turned to me and smiled. “You mean if you were a woman, you could have one more option to choose from?”

“Ha! You got me there.” I said lightheartedly. “But the answer is still no. I would still be too old for that.”

She burst into laughter...
Posted by Mingjie Cai at 3:57 PM

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. honest, this is no sad story.
2. at least, this guy had some 16 years of "good times" and "good" pay at star.
3. if he is a talent, he could have return to his motherland or north korea or iran.
4. he shall be a gem.
5. wondering what stops him from doing that.
6. qualification does not equate talent or streetsmart.
7. that's where sin fails to see.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I pity those ASS star scholars or whatnot who got their PhDs from renowned foreign unis and are bonded. Some of them don't even know that PhDs are sponsored!! They can apply there directly, read their PhDs, and stay in the new countries as academics!

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha! Another ploy from a FT to tap on the stupid Singkie's sympathy. emember all the donations received by Huang Na's case?

The most stupid people on earth!