• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Kin Lian - An Opportunist? Let see the Facts

jw5

Loyal
i don't quite get what is a second permanent secretary also, the chinese translation of PS is 次长 which literally means (2nd secretary) so a 2nd PS is 次次长????

In that case, the deputy secretary (DS) must be "san chi zhang". :biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Methinks it was a reluctant WWN asked to give the eulogy...reluctant because he hardly knew him, but knowing WWN, he is too nice to create enemies..so he was at great pains to search for words for praises one has to scrape off the barrel..

Note the obituary style commentary of Wong Wee Nam.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got the same impression. Note his second sentence and that he was providing information that could only come from personal information and not from his interaction with TKL. I also noticed that it is not WWN style of writing.

Methinks it was a reluctant WWN asked to give the eulogy...reluctant because he hardly knew him, but knowing WWN, he is too nice to create enemies..so he was at great pains to search for words for praises one has to scrape off the barrel..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
If as WWN said, TKL was one yr his junior, then he was same cohort as me. Yet, I have never heard of him, but I know WN. It is true there were 14 Sec One classes, and it was impossible to know everybody. But having said that, even many lowly unknowns would become knowns over the course of 4-6 yrs, thru Pre-U, thru the LDCS (Lit and Debating Soc), raffles players, rugby, scouts, cadets, etc. If he escaped notice, he must really have been colorless and apathetic or plain anti-social.

I got the same impression. Note his second sentence and that he was providing information that could only come from personal information and not from his interaction with TKL. I also noticed that it is not WWN style of writing.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now we got 2 people who can't remember him. I am still puzzled by his logic. He is running for EP but not for Parliament because he does not want to run a town council. Some how he got it in his mind that he is electable.

If as WWN said, TKL was one yr his junior, then he was same cohort as me. Yet, I have never heard of him, but I know WN. It is true there were 14 Sec One classes, and it was impossible to know everybody. But having said that, even many lowly unknowns would become knowns over the course of 4-6 yrs, thru Pre-U, thru the LDCS (Lit and Debating Soc), raffles players, rugby, scouts, cadets, etc. If he escaped notice, he must really have been colorless and apathetic or plain anti-social.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Were you the same year as Richard Ang in RI?

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now that is a name that brings back memories. Singapore's first family of crime and only family unless you count the Yong sisters.

We did have a thread on this Scroo. Richard and William both went to RI but William was one year his junior.

vortexbeam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal, let me tell you why not many professionals are helping Tan Kin Lian. They are all scared of the PAP. It's that simple. At least those who stood in GE are not.

Obituary style commentary? What a stupid observation that lacks any point. Are you running of ideas?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one hell of a thread exposing Tan Kin Lian for who he really is. What happened to all the smart people in this forum?

How come they are suddenly displaced with a motley crew of halfwits and imbeciles?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

AWARE S'pore raises concern about PE2023 candidate who has 'history of objectifying women'​

Aware also questioned why the Presidential Elections Committee granted this candidate a certificate of eligibility.
Joshua Lee
August 21, 2023
aware.png

The Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE) has raised concerns about a Presidential Election candidate who "has a history of objectifying women", but has been cleared to participate in the Presidential Election.

The organisation, which advocates gender equality and women's rights, did not mention the candidate's name, but their tweet came just hours after presidential hopeful Tan Kin Lian addressed comments about his previous social media posts on "pretty girls".
Tan said that his posts were done in a "light" and "enjoyable" way.
He also claimed that only a very "small minority" of people were uncomfortable with his posts.

Act of objectifying women​

"Consistently posting about 'pretty girls', recording videos of women in public without their consent, or commenting about their appearance isn’t merely a matter of personal preference or light 'amusement'," said AWARE.
The organisation said that it's "an act of objectifying women" which reduces them to their appearances for entertainment:

"Such behaviour from anyone in or aspiring to a position of influence suggests it's acceptable to trivialise women and overlook their myriad abilities and contributions."

AWARE also highlighted what it called a "systemic" issue: The granting of a certificate of eligibility by the Presidential Elections Committee to the candidate.
In issuing the certificate to the three candidates, the Presidential Elections Committee said it was satisfied that they were men of "integrity, good character, and reputation".
AWARE claimed that this suggests a "systemic endorsement" of unacceptable views and behaviours.

"Consider broader implications"​

AWARE urged the Presidential Elections Committee to "thoroughly consider the broader implications of such endorsements in the future", and go beyond financial and management qualifications.
As of late afternoon, the tweet had received 50 retweets and 100 likes.
Mothership has reached out to Tan's team and the Elections Department for comment.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
https://www.aware.org.sg/2023/08/statement-on-the-presidential-elections-2023/

Statement on the Presidential Elections 2023​

August 21st, 2023

We share the public’s concerns that a candidate, who has a history of objectifying women, has been cleared to participate in the upcoming Presidential Elections.

Consistently posting about “pretty girls”, recording videos of women in public without their consent, or commenting about their appearance isn’t merely a matter of personal preference or light “amusement”. It’s an act of objectifying women, reducing them solely to their appearances for their personal entertainment. Such behaviour from anyone in or aspiring to a position of influence suggests that it’s acceptable to trivialise women and overlook their myriad abilities and contributions.

But here’s a more systemic worry: The granting of a Certificate of Eligibility to such an individual doesn’t only reflect on him but suggests a systemic endorsement. It signifies that these views and behaviours are not just acceptable, but perhaps even acceptable enough for a potential presidency.

Do we want a society where behaviours that objectify half its population get a tacit nod? Or do we push for a nation that evaluates every individual beyond the surface level, acknowledging their full worth and potential? Our President should embody the values, ethics, and principles that reflect the nation we want to be.

We urge the Presidential Election Commission to thoroughly consider the broader implications of such endorsements in the future. The assessment process should not only take into account financial and management qualifications but also wider societal impacts to ensure our leadership truly upholds the values of respect, equality, and dignity for all Singaporeans.