• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore Chinese why so inferior complex about name

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 100% Chinese. Although my parents did not have very good education because they were poor, they ensured I had a decent upbringing and consulted with the elders of the time to give me a really robust sounding name in Chinese.

But I notice many of my fellow Chinese Singaporeans like to adopt Christian name, just as in Hong Kong, although the names may not be official.

On a recent trip to Britain, one of my friends had some trouble with local police in Scotland because his passport showed his Hanyu Pinyin name but his credit card showed Christian name. We wasted half a day before the police let him go after getting an explanation from the Singapoe embassy in London.

My point is what's wrong with Chinese name. Why are there so many losers - at least 70% of the population below 30 years old who like to adopt Christian names

It is damn idiotic when the Chinese name is so beautiful.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am 100% Chinese. Although my parents did not have very good education because they were poor, they ensured I had a decent upbringing and consulted with the elders of the time to give me a really robust sounding name in Chinese.

But I notice many of my fellow Chinese Singaporeans like to adopt Christian name, just as in Hong Kong, although the names may not be official.

On a recent trip to Britain, one of my friends had some trouble with local police in Scotland because his passport showed his Hanyu Pinyin name but his credit card showed Christian name. We wasted half a day before the police let him go after getting an explanation from the Singapoe embassy in London.

My point is what's wrong with Chinese name. Why are there so many losers - at least 70% of the population below 30 years old who like to adopt Christian names

If you are a Catholic or Christian, why can't you have a Christian name?.

There is nothing wrong with having Christian name, that is my view only.

Cheers:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

my humble 2cts... the notion of Chinese adopting an English name could be due to the reason that the non-Mandarin speaking communities would have troubles pronouncing our names.

pretty much the same when we can't pronounce certain words in other languages... if you haven't watched Russells, do you know how to pronounce this name, !xobile ?

if you understood Cantonese, check out the Cantonese portion in the following video... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6PmAP8GsJjk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6PmAP8GsJjk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is ok to have christian name if the name is official. If not, it's a bit confusing as in your friend case

The trend is Singaporeans tend to give their kids uncommon names eg. Elijah, etc.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my humble 2cts... the notion of Chinese adopting an English name could be due to the reason that the non-Mandarin speaking communities would have troubles pronouncing our names.

pretty much the same when we can't pronounce certain words in other languages... if you haven't watched Russells, do you know how to pronounce this name, !xobile ?

if you understood Cantonese, check out the Cantonese portion in the following video... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6PmAP8GsJjk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6PmAP8GsJjk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There's a clicking sound when u pronounce that name.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 100% ....

Just because some chinese adopt non-chinese first names, you think there is something wrong with Chinese names?

I wonder what Bruce Lee would have thought about this? Hmmm, Little Dragon got other things on his mind ah think.

Cheers!

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is ok to have christian name if the name is official. If not, it's a bit confusing as in your friend case

The trend is Singaporeans tend to give their kids uncommon names eg. Elijah, etc.

Point taken, it is common as bro Zhi say some ang mor cannot pronounce chinese name in the proper tone.

Like Cantonese name Wan Tat Fatt, will be What the Fxxk, so change to an ang moh name like Elijah in cantonese will be Eee lei jah ( yuck you hold):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
Point taken, it is common as bro Zhi say some ang mor cannot pronounce chinese name in the proper tone.

Like Cantonese name Wan Tat Fatt, will be What the Fxxk, so change to an ang moh name like Elijah in cantonese will be Eee lei jah ( yuck you hold):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::

u use chucky as ur ang moh name? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It is for ease of understanding and good for biz as well.

The thais use nick names too as their real name is damn long.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

well i was given mine from birth and not because i am a christian...for that matter why should having a non chinese name be considered a "christian" name....i would imagine "christian" name would be more in kind to the names of the 12 apostles...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is for ease of understanding and good for biz as well.

The thais use nick names too as their real name is damn long.

Thais don't put their nicknames on their credit cards, and then run into trouble when the names on their credit cards don't tally with the names on their official identification documents.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't mind Chinese adopting a Christian name but some in HKG and CHN take on really odd ones. I've came across names such as Apple, Purple, Thor etc. Its a bit odd talking to them:

Hello can i speak to Apple please?!!

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't mind Chinese adopting a Christian name but some in HKG and CHN take on really odd ones. I've came across names such as Apple, Purple, Thor etc. Its a bit odd talking to them:

Hello can i speak to Apple please?!!

the prc are the main culprit with names like, summer lee, winter zhang, autumn xiu....