• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore Chinese why so inferior complex about name

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hongkies, mainlanders hav veri poor taste wen it cums 2 choosing christian names...
best of all dey think itz cool... :rolleyes: bud den again as long dey r happy i guess itz ok :rolleyes:

not joking bud here r sum dat i hav corresponded with via email n thru the course of my work...

Water (followed by their surname) mainlander
Lion
(followed by their surname) mainlander
Cougar (followed by their surname) mainlander
Well (followed by their surname) mainlander
Sky (followed by their surname) mainlander (Sky seems ok)
Attitude (followed by their surname) mainlander
Money Chin - hongkie :eek:

Celebrities like
Fish Leong from Malaysia :eek:
Hacken Lee from Hong Kong (is he a Hacker?)

wah lau... i got better suggestions

Cockroach Lee
Grasshopper Tan

Last edited:

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our Chinese names were romanised by the British during colonial time, in order
for them to read. Depending of which dialets you were from. As we are English speaking country, we have no problem pronouncing Chinese names in Singapore, Malaysia and HK in English accent.
If you look at Indonesian Chinese, their names are done by the Dutchs during those
time. Our surnames may be the same in Chinese characters and can be written in many forms depending where you were from.
Singapore is now more to speaking Mandarin and naturally our names is being evolved
to Hanyi Pinyin names and sound more natural, off course we retained our surnames in
our traditional way.
One reason why we adopted Christian names as we are more to English speaking enviroments around us, media, movies etc. Could it be Bruce Lee who influenced us. He was so famous during the early 70s. In Asia, he was easily referred as Lei Siew Loong or
Lee Hsiao Leung by the Chinese and Bruce Lee to the West and non-chinese. Thus, quite appropriately it was feasible for Chinese to have two names. That was the time
Chinese here have adopted Christian names.
Maybe our MM Lee could explained better why he used a Christain name Harry when he was in Cambridge. Perhaps he could interact better with the British there. The same
goes for Bruce Lee when he was in America.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Money and attitude. How you call them?

You - Hello is money in?
Reply - Money is away.

Very inauspicious man. If i were the boss, i would ask him to change name.

Ya dats right... Money Chin... his 1st love has 2 be $$$ :rolleyes:
His boss name cud be... lemme guess... SEX Cheung??

& Attitude Chen may not get 2 keep his job for long :rolleyes:

Last edited:

helicopview

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a Catholic or Christian, why can't you have a Christian name?.

There is nothing wrong with having Christian name, that is my view only.

Cheers:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

So what if u are a catholic or christian. Is it necessary for you to have a christian name to reflect yr religious belief. You are still a Chinese. Chinese has chinese names..100% correct.

helicopview

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 100% Chinese. Although my parents did not have very good education because they were poor, they ensured I had a decent upbringing and consulted with the elders of the time to give me a really robust sounding name in Chinese.

But I notice many of my fellow Chinese Singaporeans like to adopt Christian name, just as in Hong Kong, although the names may not be official.

On a recent trip to Britain, one of my friends had some trouble with local police in Scotland because his passport showed his Hanyu Pinyin name but his credit card showed Christian name. We wasted half a day before the police let him go after getting an explanation from the Singapoe embassy in London.

My point is what's wrong with Chinese name. Why are there so many losers - at least 70% of the population below 30 years old who like to adopt Christian names

It is damn idiotic when the Chinese name is so beautiful.

singaporean getting more westernised. Sad for these pp. They thought by getting a christian name will make them more ang mor. The fact is wherever u go, be it us, uk or australiam, those angmor still think that you are a chinese. U see, to them your race is more important.

Do u need to have a christian name just becos u are a catholic or christian. Can't pp just leave the chow ang mor name out.

Worse still, pp who are non-cath or chri also put in angmor name in their child's birth cert. Interestingly,these christian names are getting more and more 'chimp'-difficult to pronounce and write. These are the names not found in western countries. Just look at my cousins who gave very 'creative' names to their kids. Singaporeans clever right?

Generally,these gp of singaporeans are poor in the chinese language..even though they are chinese. Their children are those that tell their mother tongue teachers 'i hate chinese'.As a educator, i have never heard of any malay, indian say they hate their mother tongue. In fact, they are so proud of their race and language. You got see british, korean,japanese, indonesians can't speak their own language? Only chinese singaporens are not capable of speaking theirs. The funniest thing is that these pp don't even find it shameful.

For me, my 3 kids only have chinese names in their birth cert. Why..simply because we are chinese and we are not ang mor. In the event they want to be called 'mary, michael, Jocelyn' by their friends or colleagues when they grow up is their business. What i will tell them is that they are Chinese and we are in many ways cleverer than the angmors.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a educator, i have never heard of any malay, indian say they hate their mother tongue. In fact, they are so proud of their race and language.

You sure or not? Nowadays you can also see more westernised names adopted by Malays and Indians.

E.g T. Pathmanathan our trusted defender is not Thambiah but Terry.
Also some of them had also totally adopted an English/Potuguese sounding names.

helicopview

Alfrescian
Loyal
not many lah.Indian have christian names if they r catholic. As for malays, they have such names cos these names appear in their holy book. As for chinese, the proportion is much much higher.

facial

Alfrescian
Loyal
A name is suppose to identify your nationality and race, like Okada is Japanese, Fatimah is Malay, Muthu is Indian, Mei Ling is Chinese, Hitler is German, Roberto is Italian, etc etc.

When you get funny names like Spendid Wong, Turbo Chan, Speedy Lee.... high probability are Hongkies.

I would like to identify myself as a chinese so I use my chinese name.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So what if u are a catholic or christian. Is it necessary for you to have a christian name to reflect yr religious belief. You are still a Chinese. Chinese has chinese names..100% correct.

Yes, still a chinese, a name is still a name, so what is the big deal?

each and everyone has our own belief, so if someone want to call themself Apple or orange whom are us to tell him is it not right.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

A

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
CHINESE NAME BEST for CHINESE

A lot of Chinese can hardly speak English but like to adopt a stupid Western name that makes them even more ridiculous

Let Hang Seng be Hang Seng and Dow Jones be Dow Jones

But if you want Hang Dow Jones until it drops to 5,000 I am most in favour

Don't you guys love a good old recession

Really please, I know a lot of people are depressed, scared etc

I have been there. There is nothing to be afraid

Recession is good because people become warm and friendly. Don't be poisoned by money and keep thinking of money all the time.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
sum one once told me if you throw an empty ovaltine can down a flight of staircase every single sound that it makes can be used as chinese name _ ching , chong , pong , pang , gang , gong _ whatever

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
i was forced to have an english names for the bloody ang mo have prob pronoucing my name. so one day while i was thinking of a simple english name, i heard kenny g...you got it. my ang mo friend called me kenny since then. but the chinese will call me by my chinese name

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
i was forced to have an english names for the bloody ang mo have prob pronoucing my name. so one day while i was thinking of a simple english name, i heard kenny g...you got it. my ang mo friend called me kenny since then. but the chinese will call me by my chinese name

you are a loser

angmoh call you kenny you lan lan must accept