• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singpost- Getting wost

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doing away with PRINTED MATTER is not unique to us, U.S.P.S. & ROYAL MAIL of UK had done that, years back. Now you can see why Borders & those book stores found it hard to survive. In the past, we can roll up the newspapers or wrap with an outer protective water proof paper & send the newspaper by PRINTED MATTER, & it was economical, never mind if it reaches there & it will be the next year! ( ha ha ha) or a book or anything that is in print. You are right, the cost of airmail to send a paperback cost more than the paperback. Nowadays, you might as well buy on-line & ship it to wherever the person is at the moment.

The post office is now a retail shop...they sell almost everything, soon, from kitchen sinks to condoms!... ha ha ha, I would love to see them marketing Durex fetherlight or Okamoto 0.2 , ha ha ha, Sir!, this one very thin, very light, feel like real skin... ha ha ha

I have some catalogues of collectibles and recently, as part of my effort to de-clutter my place, I resolved to try to sell them on ebay as similar ones were being sold there. I went to SingPost and checked on the cost of airmailing one catalogue to the US in a padded envelope. The postage was $34. A bit ridiculous as I was prepared to let the catalogue go for just US$8. But I said, ok, let me try and place the catalogue on ebay with a shipping cost of US$29 and an auction price of US$8. I was unable to place the catalogue as ebay would not accept a shipping cost of US$29, saying that the maximum shipping cost for such an item was US$4. So, my little enterprise was a non-starter.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are so many courier company.
Which is cheapest with good reasonable service???? So all can share info
Main player FedEx, UPS, DHL, TNT, EMS...........................

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I buy from iherb too, one bottle of vitamin c in sg, can buy at least 2 bottles, more varieties and u get some charge back. I also do not want to buy from NTUC or GNC and let those chee bye companies who employ chao pinoys earn my money.

There are some interesting products you can find at iHerb which I think is more effective than what you'll find at Unity.
I am now trying a product called Lypo-Sheric Vitamin C which I which I've never seen in Singapore before. It'll probably never be sold in Spore because they would have to mark the price up to such a level that it would be too expensive.

http://www.iherb.com/LivOn-Laborato...amin-C-30-Packets-0-2-fl-oz-5-7-ml-Each/25231

People who buy from from NTUC & GNC are actually paying for the extras: high rentals, utilities & of course the salaries

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have some catalogues of collectibles and recently, as part of my effort to de-clutter my place, I resolved to try to sell them on ebay as similar ones were being sold there. I went to SingPost and checked on the cost of airmailing one catalogue to the US in a padded envelope. The postage was $34. A bit ridiculous as I was prepared to let the catalogue go for just US$8. But I said, ok, let me try and place the catalogue on ebay with a shipping cost of US$29 and an auction price of US$8. I was unable to place the catalogue as ebay would not accept a shipping cost of US$29, saying that the maximum shipping cost for such an item was US$4. So, my little enterprise was a non-starter.

Have you considered send them from JB:confused:
It would definitely be cheaper than sending them from Spore.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have you considered send them from JB:confused:
It would definitely be cheaper than sending them from Spore.

I have received registered parcel from Melaka, arrived on time & in good condition, Don't know I can trust JB GPO though!?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why not others. dhl? many courier service.

I've found DHL pretty reliable & its cheaper than Fedex.
I use them when I get buy from Amazon & when I do large orders from iHerb. I can track the orders online & know when the the items have reached Spore.

The problem I face is with the small orders. iHerb bulk ships to Spore using DHL but unfortunately after it reaches here, the packages are sent to customers using Singpost. This is the cheapest method but takes longer AND uses Singpost:rolleyes:

In future I plan to avoid making these small orders & instead do large orders which is completely handled by DHL from the US to my door. It might cost more but I think it's worth it to ensure that Singpost doesn't profit.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
EMS is operated by SingPost which we are trying to avoid. Its is also the cheapest, since it does not do pickups and delivered only notices by ninja delivery staff for you to go pickup at their Eunos headquarters.

As for the other players, they all have alternatives websites for people to vent their frustrations like www.dhlsucks.com etc. Recently I submitted a tender document from Singapore to KUL. DHL claim they will do next morning delivery. Not any more I supposed. I am just lucky the document was delivered at 4pm, 1 hr before deadline.

Both UPS and Fedex are strong in US market where they are based. DHL is owned by Deutsch Post who have since lost billions due to losses when they tried to penetrate into US markets. Fedex and UPS are US flag carriers, when air agreements are liberalized these companies get their share of valuable traffic rights. Their sort centres are amazing network with miles and miles of conveyor systems. Detroit even built customized delivery trucks for them and they are on every major blocks in US. In San Francisco, you will see a line of Fedex planes waiting to take off to their hub in Memphis Airport, once the busiest airport in the world for air cargo before it was taken over by Hong Kong. On the other hand, DHL business models is like our IT companies, including hiring girls with tight dresses for the 'corporate markets'. If drop panties cannot win, drop price sure can. Its cowboy culture started with its founder Larry Hillbloom, who died after crashing his plane in the pacific, loves pinoy go-go girls and sired many little bastards. Which is why it is still very popular, despite not owning their own fleet of airplanes.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was surprised to receive a call from Singpost in my response to the feedback complaint :eek: She was actally a Sporean:eek::eek:

She confirmed that Singpost stopped doing re-deliveries from April 1st. She called it "streamlining":rolleyes:
It's sad to see the PAP streamlining Sporeans & Spore out of existence.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

If you're doing within the island, can try TaQBin.

I've been using them for a while now. For $6 a pop with tracking and same day delivery, they're quite decent i must say.

I seldom send overseas but if I do I'll go fedex.

Bravocharlie

Hi guys,
I had a problem with singpost very bad service too.On the 16 oct i got a slip on the my gate about undelivered registered article.(why must they delivery on weekday hour where most of the people are working?)On the next day i call 1605 the line was so poor that each time i tried to hear what to key in it said you had exceed the number of try and hand up on me(you guy should try it).Then i call their HQ number a pinoy answered I ask for redeliver next day(between 10 to 6 pm).

Bravocharlie

Singpost Vey very badthird world service

Hi guy Im totally pissed with the third world singpost service. It seem the whole service dept are maned by pino.No believed call 62225777.They are rude and cluless. shit we are getting now.Pass around when you asked for their manager(who is also a pino) are u in philippine?

Bravocharlie

I had the same problem as yourself.I'm pissed at their service your bloody boils when u tried talk to their FT staff(pinoy)
registered item fail to redelivered and they try to put a fast one like server down blah blah shit.typical third world service standard u find in their country.
Sgp in deep shit!!!

Cufflinks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singpost is now selling sweets, dvd players, etc at their outlets.

Wonder if they intend being a part-retail shop to be their core activities.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singpost is now selling sweets, dvd players, etc at their outlets. Wonder if they intend being a part-retail shop to be their core activities.

This is happening all over the first world/developed world & not only in Singapore becos emails have taken over from letters being sent. On top of that a lot of services that at one time needed to be done over the counter at your local post office can now be done online. In some countries dedicated post offices have shut down & a smaller "concessionary" style post office kiosk can now be found in local newspaper shops or supermarkets etc. I think the retail shop model is the way ahead for post offices of the future. It might even get to the stage where you DIY weigh your own letters & buy the stamps from machines, if you pay too little the mail will not be sent or it is sent but person receiving will have to pay the difference!

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore Post has gone through a tremendous change from the good old post office of yester-years.

Back then it was a place where the young buy stamps as a form of savings.

Today it sells a variety of articles.

Looks like it will soon start to sell "condoms", panadol, slurpees or beers by the packs.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore Post has gone through a tremendous change from the good old post office of yester-years.

Back then it was a place where the young buy stamps as a form of savings.

Today it sells a variety of articles.

Looks like it will soon start to sell "condoms", panadol, slurpees or beers by the packs.

They can be successful if they adhere to Ms Saw's business model. Proven with SMRT and her current company.