• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporean in Australia - Yet another Story

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A good friend of mine became disillusioned about journalism as a career in singapore and went off to melbourne. She did freelance editorial/writing work for a while then realised her true calling in social work. She did a masters degree (subsidised by the Vic government) and obtained a certification through practical hours and curricular work.

Today she is very happy assisting the disabled, the old and the dying.. and getting paid very well for it. I've asked her (jokingly of course) if she's ever considered going home to ply her new trade. She told me to go boil my head. LOL

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. I always felt that Singaporeans had very limited options except to make money. Now that option is closing for some. When you go to bigger countries, there world suddenly becomes your oyster. You can do what you love and still maintain an excellent lifestyle. Talk about balance. I told this story before in this forum but I will share in the next post.
A good friend of mine became disillusioned about journalism as a career in singapore and went off to melbourne. She did freelance editorial/writing work for a while then realised her true calling in social work. She did a masters degree (subsidised by the Vic government) and obtained a certification through practical hours and curricular work. Today she is very happy assisting the disabled, the old and the dying.. and getting paid very well for it. I've asked her (jokingly of course) if she's ever considered going home to ply her new trade. She told me to go boil my head. LOL

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy was the HR manager of SATS years ago but had a short temper and it was stressing him out. His wife is an interior decorator and their home in Farrer Court made the pages of one of the local popular magazine and she has the cuttings. They decided to migrate and literally give up on things material.

He went to OZ and applied for a job with a pillow manufacturer. As he spoke well, the manager of the factory turned him down believing that he will leave for a better job. He pleaded his case and said it was a lifestyle decision. He also secured a job for his wife. The men in the factory stuff goose down into pillows while the ladies do the sewing. Both he and his wife worked 18 years in the factory and raised a son who eventually graduated from university. This guy is healthy as horse and bloody fit.

As child of the flower generation, he kept a VW beetle and pulled a caravan and travelled the length and breath of OZ during the yearly leave for the 18 years. He was a qualified padi diver in Singapore and picked up playing the electric guitar along the way.

I met him after he retired and spent a few hours hearing their story. I knew then who had the better life.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No problem. I had also previously posted the story of my vietnamese boss and his family who arrived as boat people. they were doing very well thanks to the assistance given to them by the federal government.

My boss worked hard to open his restaurant, his wife trained as a nurse and worked in a hospital and their 3 kids have graduated with excellent results. Sometimes people are down on their luck. All they need is a little help to get on their feet. In singapore, you better not fuck up. it's you die your own business..

mrssmith

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, got news for you. I heard that PRC picking up cardboard as part time from their regular work. Also heard that they going around HDB flats asking for throw away items like Garang Guni. No sure how true. Competition for our old folks.

Useless people competing with useless people over useless things. Lol, just about sums up their pathetic lives.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Spent yesterday evening with an acquaintance that I last saw nearly 15 years ago. He got caught with the Ostrich Egg investment craze which some of you might recall and relocated to OZ to start farming. To cut a long story short, it was a failure as there was no market for it.

Anyway he shared his experience and it was quite an a journey. He comes from the corporate world and doing a business case is second nature to him. After the failure of the farm, both his wife and him were in denial until their money ran out. Too shy to ask for help from friends and relatives, they cut off all contact and moved to a small rental and stored most of their furniture in a storage locker. Eventually these too had to be auctioned off. With nothing in their name and kids in school, he went to the welfare agency and was surprised how helpful they were. The family went on the dole and they found a cheap rental as a home.

He had been applying for jobs with little success. He told me that his loss of confidence must have come across badly during interviews. The welfare agency asked if he was prepared to be a tradesperson and he agreed. He told me that the state paid for his lessons but the apprenticeship was a humbling experience. He started off buying drinks and food for the crew some of whom were younger than him. Only consolation was no asians so no loss of face. Eventually he became a electrician and began working for a firm. He went on to work for himself and is now running a successful business. He has 6 employees and has enough to buy an Audi and Toyota 4W. He lives in a nice house and was proud to show the photos. The son and daughter have done well and are in Australian Universities.

He told me that his wife is a changed person and lot more independent. He told me that his wife and he were resigned to the fact that they would lose all contact with Singapore including family and friends. He is still struggling to call or contact them. He is full of praise for the OZ system of welfare and saving him from a life of doom and gloom.

His success is due to the fact that he stay away from sinkies. see....? i am right again..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really related to OZ but similar. I have a friend that did her studies in Psychology, in the UK. She is back in Singapore raising a kid now. She was appalled at the lack of procedures and office politics that is happening in IMH in Singapore. It seem that is an apparent lack of mental health awareness in Singapore which is a shame. A lot of teachers are institutionalised in Singapore over stress. Singapore will be regarded as a place for the rich and a stepping stone to greener pasture in my opinion. There are still opportunity to earn the big bucks. But the social stress in Singapore is probably not suitable for everyone in the long term. The only group of people that I see would stay in Singapore are the so called "elites".

Thanks for sharing. I always felt that Singaporeans had very limited options except to make money. Now that option is closing for some. When you go to bigger countries, there world suddenly becomes your oyster. You can do what you love and still maintain an excellent lifestyle. Talk about balance. I told this story before in this forum but I will share in the next post.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
But the social stress in Singapore is probably not suitable for everyone in the long term. The only group of people that I see would stay in Singapore are the so called "elites".

Life in Singapore is all about the survival of the fittest which is a good thing. It's the way nature intended things to be. It ensures that the long term viability of the species.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Absolutely. I remember you mentioning this story in the past. I cannot understand why this country with such huge reserves can't do the same. It's a bloody disgrace.I remember during one ICT, one of my sergeants seemed unusually quiet. I enquired and he told me that his new born son had issues and he was facing $100k bill medical bill. He was proud and did not accept any offer of help. I was more shocked by the size of the bill. He did not want to share what the problem so I left it there.

The story may be old but I like repeating it because it highlights what a good healthcare system should be.
According to Michael Moore Cuba, Canada are countries with cheap & affordable healthcare. From my personal experience I totally agree that the Canadian system is excellent. For those interested in Michael Moores's documentary "Sicko", they can watch it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fxpwp9Y9Wk&feature=related

There are too many "special interests" groups in the PAP gov't. :rolleyes:

I did a comparison of the prices between Malaysia & Spore of an expensive patented drug named Plavix & in Malaysia it was half the price of what it costs in Spore:eek:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fully agree with you, if u r in Sickapoor, you'er doom! Only job is collect boxes from garbage!

Actually they should thank the Singapore gahment. They are far-sighted and know that many Singaporeans have the tendency to risk or squander off their own lifesaving because they are greedy and always thinking of making more money, or lavishing on spendings like MPVs, IT gadgets, big TVs, better sofa, or long overseas holiday, or support "girlfriends" from Thailand to Indonesia to the Philippines etc - and then when broke or jobless, seek help from gahment.

As any kid will tell you, the gahment must get their money from somewhere to help these poor fellows. So other more prudent and hardworking people have to pay more personal income tax, more value-added tax or GST to support these people. Europe is now facing problems with money because they just cannot keep up with the increasingly welfare state expenditure.

So the gahment came up with the brilliant idea of CPF - which can be used to pay for your child education, buy your home or life and medical insurance. Isn't this better?

Malaysia of course copycat the idea in 1991 and they call it EPF. In Bahasa Melayu it is called Kumpulan Wang Simpanan Pekerja - KWSP). But EPF sounds better - and if English soccer were popular at that time, they might even call it EPL!).

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So the gahment came up with the brilliant idea of CPF - which can be used to pay for your child education, buy your home or life and medical insurance. Isn't this better?

Back when CPF was introduced you didn't have Temasek or multi-millionaire PAP MPs.

Obviously things have changed over time with LKY & Co gambling with the citizens savings:rolleyes:
The CPF has become the Lees private piggy bank & with the changes to the minimum sum & age of withdrawal, Sporeans must kick out the PAP if they want to get their CPF before they die:mad:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nice story. It's humbling successes like these that show the best in the resilient human spirit.

At least not like the axe168 modus operandi where he tries brag with his bad metaphors and broken english and yet comes across as a shady liar.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That guy helped destroy the folder. His buddy from Canada finally got caught cheating forummers migrating to Canada. Birds of a feather.
Nice story. It's humbling successes like these that show the best in the resilient human spirit.

At least not like the axe168 modus operandi where he tries brag with his bad metaphors and broken english and yet comes across as a shady liar.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
And you should repeat the good and encouraging stories as I do for the newer members. Not many are in a position to share such stories and encourage people to seek a better life in a wider world. Its all about options.

The story may be old but I like repeating it because it highlights what a good healthcare system should be.
According to Michael Moore Cuba, Canada are countries with cheap & affordable healthcare. From my personal experience I totally agree that the Canadian system is excellent. For those interested in Michael Moores's documentary "Sicko", they can watch it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fxpwp9Y9Wk&feature=related

There are too many "special interests" groups in the PAP gov't. :rolleyes:

I did a comparison of the prices between Malaysia & Spore of an expensive patented drug named Plavix & in Malaysia it was half the price of what it costs in Spore:eek:

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
With nothing in their name and kids in school, he went to the welfare agency and was surprised how helpful they were. The family went on the dole and they found a cheap rental as a home.
if LKY read this, sure go scold ang mo for giving his naughty ex-slaves a sense of entitlement!!!

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Yes, its Diana Koh. She followed her hsuband to set up an Ostrich Farm as well. Diana was the producers favourite and they paid for her tertiary education.

Thanks

Hi brother Scroobal, I need help from you. I am thinking of getting myself qualified as an electrician in Singapore first before I make the move over to NZ or OZ. I had wanted to go and study to be an electician in OZ at TAFE but surprisingly, they do not offer this course to international students. They do offer other high demand courses such as carpentry, locksmith and bricklaying though. I have do some research and found an higher nitec in electrical engineering course at ITE. Can you help me ask your friend whether these modules are are useful with the to get qualified as a tradesperson?

Thank you in advance.

http://www.ite.edu.sg/wps/portal/!ut/p/c5/rY1Bb4IwGIb_Ed9XaKFcdYW1DqQUMuBiUBcDrkoyg66_fty2007mfW9PnjzQwbJLPw-n_jZcL_0nNNCFO-1XqZ8wilssEpQ-SXkhuU8YXXj7l4cEUZooJUyrQJf0H7tOGLxDg3Rnxu9JurMrR1du8tG4rzd9z17EI6uJqsYtGvFQ5jxtMtcG5rRf31ZV3IhjUuq1aJdDC1302-EcCcqwkIqJWuYpQvWkjoJu2FvvfrAeeiElPApiypDEhCCDZgX569V-wGTr2c6W_wCDbYoS/dl3/d3/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?pcid=2c1689804445dcf18adbbbf372c2c2fd

Last edited: