• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Singapore Video] - Fight between older man and younger man

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah yes, jumping back thrust. :laugh:

I'm willing to bet that you were doing this pre-1990 yes? In 1980, the Olympics committee recognized TKD as an olympic sport. Guess what? Everyone and his dog sought to make the martial art into some pathway to Olympics. So the martial art itself changed from kick everyone's ass to score 1 point.

I'm not entirely sure of the whole politics of the thing, but I do know that at some point the WTF became more prominent than the ITF. It's my understanding that the ITF is older and more "hard" and the WTF is the pussified version we tend to see today.

At the boot camp did you ever get the master's take on how to take kicks? Blocks with hands seem to be relatively useless. For myself, it's largely been to siam. I wonder what a grandmaster's insight would be on this.

I did it in the early 80s. Interacted with Olympics champions like Myeong Sam Chang and Jae Ku Han, who were in Sinkieland in 1982. Myeong died in a road accident a few years ago. He was damn good.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did it in the early 80s. Interacted with Olympics champions like Myeong Sam Chang and Jae Ku Han. Myeong died in a road accident a few years ago. He was damn good.
yeah early 80s from what I know from my seniors is still more old style. 90s onwards the Olympic disease hit TKD globally.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old fat fuck loser beng can't fight, and younger loser can't punch to save his balls. Couldn't knock out the old beng despite punching him 5 more times after giving him a bloodied face. I would have KOed that old beng with a single punch.
the young punk gave chance to old fart if not old fart would be dead or half dead.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was in the transition period. My teacher was into this, but he started to teach the "softer" style. So I got private lessons from him instead.

Does it mean that if today a contestant spars using the old school techniques, he'll be disqualified?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
body odor and profuse sweating can also play a big stinky and slippery part in grappling. defintely an advantage.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does it mean that if today a contestant spars using the old school techniques, he'll be disqualified?
thrown out the door!! :eek:

serious head shot is a no-no. I don't know what it means at olympics level but for us it meant instant ejection from competition/sparring + no further sparring until the master decided otherwise. Body strike is ok because of the armour. Specifically, that's what it's for. Whack all you want chest, but if you are deemed to intentionally strike the head, habis. Match over. Forfeit. Mishits where you glance off the body and kena the head is not an issue. It's just discounted and bout restarted.

Anyway, my particular teacher trained me old style, so I think I know what it would have looked like, but when it came to sparring, more than half of what he taught me was restricted when I went to spar with the other students. My time was already using new style rules. Can kiss goodbye to jumping back thrust unless you set it up as a low kick at at chest level. So end up side kick, standing backthrust and turning/roundhouse used a lot. Because TKD's front kick was a snap kick, that also became useless. Axe kick was totally useless even though I think it has applications in the real world. My personal specialty also totally useless. Reverse jumping crescent kick. End up you can try land a punch to the torso, but most people went for one of those 3 kicks. Go and look at the footage you will see that to be true.

So in essence what you end up seeing is a whole bunch of hopping back and forth to land one good strike at the torso without being hit first. You kena hit first you lose. Simple as that.

Actually a pretty devastating martial art end up becoming like cartoon.... :roflmao:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal

This was the kind of TKD I know. Not the pussy style of today's version.
If I think carefully about it now, I realize that the training itself changed to accommodate the goals of olympics or maybe money making I dunno. Of course I can't speak for the whole world, but my teacher taught me both in group and individual classes. In group classes, he would teach everyone the pussy version. Because I was a bit of a nut in my early life, he gave me the whole shebang. He kept pushing me and I kept responding. When I think back, in group classes, I was sleeping but when it was him and me 1 on 1 it was crazy.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
thrown out the door!! :eek:

serious head shot is a no-no. I don't know what it means at olympics level but for us it meant instant ejection from competition/sparring + no further sparring until the master decided otherwise. Body strike is ok because of the armour. Specifically, that's what it's for. Whack all you want chest, but if you are deemed to intentionally strike the head, habis. Match over. Forfeit. Mishits where you glance off the body and kena the head is not an issue. It's just discounted and bout restarted.

Anyway, my particular teacher trained me old style, so I think I know what it would have looked like, but when it came to sparring, more than half of what he taught me was restricted when I went to spar with the other students. My time was already using new style rules. Can kiss goodbye to jumping back thrust unless you set it up as a low kick at at chest level. So end up side kick, standing backthrust and turning/roundhouse used a lot. Because TKD's front kick was a snap kick, that also became useless. Axe kick was totally useless even though I think it has applications in the real world. My personal specialty also totally useless. Reverse jumping crescent kick. End up you can try land a punch to the torso, but most people went for one of those 3 kicks. Go and look at the footage you will see that to be true.

So in essence what you end up seeing is a whole bunch of hopping back and forth to land one good strike at the torso without being hit first. You kena hit first you lose. Simple as that.

Actually a pretty devastating martial art end up becoming like cartoon.... :roflmao:

Thanks. That explains why the Olympics look like pussy sparring nowadays. It's pathetic. When I watched the Olympics TKD bouts this year, I got really pissed when I saw the way they were sparring. I kick you once, and you kick me back. Most of the time, they were just waiting and hopping around like monkeys. So many chances to whack and score points but didn't do so. Every match is the same. It's damn frustrating watching it. If that's Olympics standard, I also can participate and win a gold medal.