• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S$1,500 for NS

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Presidential hopeful wants NSmen to be paid $1,500 a month. Do you agree?
I was paid $90.00 when I was enlisted. Thank you Mr Tan.

lianbeng ooo boh?:confused: lianbeng has completed 13-years cycle and passed 40 years old mark liao leh.:biggrin: "no longer liable with effect from ...2004."

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Under the Constitution, the President has veto powers under certain specified circumstances. TKL knows that if elected, there is no way he can get the government to implement policy changes such as pensions for the elderly and market-rate allowances for NSF. His lame attempt to pull a fast one on the electorate is as desperate as it is despicable.

President can direct and influence pension policy direction. Compare that to what TJS promised to opposition supporters, check and balance, oppose policies, etc. Either idiot (don't know what the presidency is all about) or liar (just say anything to get the votes first).

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
.... LKY is a bloody kiasu fool to come up with this EP wayang. Spoil vote!

LKY introduced it with very good intention because he had the foresight - or fear if you wish - that in the future there is always a distant possibility that a rogue government may come into power and decided to spend all the ready wealth that is accumulated. So the President power was introduced as another layer of protection of our national reserves. He did not foresee that the distant future could be so near and could be in his lifetime - all the more painful. LKY "kiasu" was well-meaning. But the constitution was amended to curtail the power.

[B][The Singapore legislature has scaled back the president's veto power to non-constitutional bills only. Under amendments passed, if the president withholds assent to constitutional bills that curtail his powers over fiscal reserves or his power to block key government appointments, he must take the issue to a tribunal. If the tribunal rules in the president's favor, the cabinet can override it by winning more than two-thirds of the vote in a national referendum.][/B]

This is very cheem indeed. In layman term I think it simply means that the President power is reduced. Even if the President doesn't sign the bill, the bill will be passed eventually through parliament - that means the government - the rogue government will get to dispense the reserves in any which way they want.

So, I don't think our President has that much power. All the presidential candidates appear to want more presidential power - back to the original LKY idea. But the situation is now reverse - it is the fear of the rogue President - not the government that worries him and us now! What an ironic situation!

My two cents thought!

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
u want dem 2 backdate anot? ... :confused:

Cannot lah, have to be realistic! Our time is over! But our children and grandchildren will beneift leh! Think of the future, think of them. They must have confidence in their future!

refulgence

Alfrescian
Loyal
President can direct and influence pension policy direction. Compare that to what TJS promised to opposition supporters, check and balance, oppose policies, etc. Either idiot (don't know what the presidency is all about) or liar (just say anything to get the votes first).

A careful reading of the Constitution does not bear out your assertion (highlighted in bold).

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry last time we all NSmen too poor! Had to wash our own uniform, starch them, wax and polish our own boots. We were our own maids! Good thing is that as young men we learnt to look after ourselves - till now that we continue to look after ourselves, do things after ourselves.

Nothing has actually changed. The parents of "lesser elites" are subsidising NS. They are the ones paying to support these NSmen for 2 years.

As for looking out for ourselves I don't need the PAP to do that. You will notice that the girls of Spore get along fine without NS:rolleyes:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
....... You will notice that the girls of Spore get along fine without NS:rolleyes:

Really? I don't think many here will agree with you. Many of the forummers here find them spoilt and obnoxious! They would rather have girl fiends from other countries.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Really? I don't think many here will agree with you. Many of the forummers here find them spoilt and obnoxious! They would rather have girl fiends from other countries.

Being spoilt & obnoxious has nothing to do with NS & more likely to do with the lifestyle in Spore. In Spore, It's common for both parents to work full-time & it's common for kids to spend more time with their maids than their parents:rolleyes:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A careful reading of the Constitution does not bear out your assertion (highlighted in bold).

So does it bear out TJS wild claims?

In any case, the President can and do and is required to open Parliament with an address. If that has no bearing on influence and direction, then I don't know what?

refulgence

Alfrescian
Loyal
So does it bear out TJS wild claims?

In any case, the President can and do and is required to open Parliament with an address. If that has no bearing on influence and direction, then I don't know what?

I can only surmise your questions are rhetorical, since they are based on your earlier assertions.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The promises part, I'd disagree that TKL was untrue. He'll really do it. There're not much that can't be done.

Whether the promise will be carried out is hard to say. Remember the Income policy bonus cut issue? At one time, TKL also protesting against the cut and asking policyholders to sign a petition. I remember he had a form for people to download and sign. Then he had a close door session with the Income management/board and called off the petition. I printed the form but no chance to send out.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can only surmise your questions are rhetorical, since they are based on your earlier assertions.

And I too, surmise that your assertions are rhetorical too, since you couldn't answer me, what about TJS wild claims about presidential checks and balances on government?

Whether the promise will be carried out is hard to say. Remember the Income policy bonus cut issue? At one time, TKL also protesting against the cut and asking policyholders to sign a petition. I remember he had a form for people to download and sign. Then he had a close door session with the Income management/board and called off the petition. I printed the form but no chance to send out.

He has done the best he could. For everybody with eyes to see and hearts to feel. He wasn't the one who cut the bonuses. He's just trying help get the bonuses restored. If failing at that, he gets to shoulder the blame for the bonus cuts, I shudder to think, nobody will dare stand up to help consumers ever again. If anyone still wants to blame him, I and him have nothing else to say. On that, I believe I can speak on his behalf.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
waa damn solid.. know people going to lose liao, faster cut ties and save face.

I could only advise and I did advise. What he did is up to him, not me, since he's the one standing, not me. I advised against 100,000 petition campaign, against accusing people smearing him, against threatening to sue people, against blaming others for contesting, against speaking in four languages that would end up speaking in four broken languages by his linguistic standards. What else can I do? It's all up to him.

Tonight's the "cool" night and tomorrow I'll go and vote for him. That's all I can do.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
waa damn solid.. know people going to lose liao, faster cut ties and save face.

There's no cutting of ties. I've just said what I advised him. I'm still with him, even if he loses deposit.

Now don't ask me whether to pay for him or not, that's a stupid question since he's much more richer than me.

Don't make yourselves in the zeal of the moment look more stupid than you should.

Last edited:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eh goathead kotek.

Why you need to wear sunglasses at night ah ? You got glaucoma atau apa ?

Anyway.... congrats on your speech and your prancing around the stage..... and all the best to your preparation for the next general election. Maybe tell your arch-enemy to recruit eddie the clown as his campaign manager !!:eek::smile:

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
It only means that your view is of no consequence.

Since not valued, talk for what? End up looking like those grassroot lampah suckers walking behind their MPs.

I could only advise and I did advise. What he did is up to him, not me, since he's the one standing, not me. I advised against 100,000 petition campaign, against accusing people smearing him, against threatening to sue people, against blaming others for contesting, against speaking in four languages that would end up speaking in four broken languages by his linguistic standards. What else can I do? It's all up to him.

Tonight's the "cool" night and tomorrow I'll go and vote for him. That's all I can do.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's no cutting of ties. I've just said what I advised him. I'm still with him, even if he loses deposit.

Now don't ask me whether to pay for him or not, that's a stupid question since he's much more richer than me.

Don't make yourselves in the zeal of the moment look more stupid than you should.

Then put this kind of disclaimer for what? to tell everyone you are smarter than him?