• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rojak Food Poisoning : 'I don't know what to say'

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps...but from the symptoms thus far described of the victims, I don't think it is "rat poison"...the rats appear to be a red herring, well to me anywhere...let's see the definitive findings, also the link with the mee siam stall and the CDC tests.

It will be politically expedient to hang the whole thing on the Rojak seller. The trouble is that they are dealing with scientific and medical professionals so it cannot be massaged easily.

I have not doubt that they will charge the rojak seller but the number of rats on the glue strip after the event is a real shocker. I am sure there is small battle between the MOE and MOH and Khaw did send a broadside across the MOE's bow.

Except to benefit the Rojak seller and anti-establishment figures, the red herrings does not serve the govt so why did ST raise it?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This reminds me of Golden Shoe Nasi Lemak seller who was set alight by his 2nd wife after she found out her husband was planning to bring the first wife back from India. She also set herself alight. Both died so the son of the first wife is now running the joint.

Sadly the 2nd wife set up the first stall that spawned a number of copycats.

Of course the police classified it as misadventure. Akan Datang, I guess

I thought he died of a sudden heart attack?, he was the original type of nasi leamk, with the chicken drumstick etc.. the best quality, money can buy; before all the copy cats, like the over-hyped Punngol..and others.

Didn't know he was set alight & died..."hell has no fury like a woman scorned"..:p

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah this rat problem seems to exist all over the Island nowadays even in 'high class' Orchard Road. Authorities complacent, too many people (read foreign trash) and too much waste food not being disposed of properly. Cleanliness and hygiene alone shall not get rid of the rat problem. You gotta get rid of the food, that is the only way to stop the rats from roaming around the area.

Back to your question, simple answer is that I do not know but I guess cleanliness and hygiene are factors that are linked to food poisoning in the first place. However this does not necessarily imply that the rats (rat poison) were the cause in this specific instance.

Likewise I am curious as to why the authorities would claim Vibrio if it was otherwise. No doubt there is an issue of accoutanbility on NEA's part viz checking and enforcing cleanliness and good hygiene...however this would appear to be too big and public a matter to 'cover up' in such a manner.

Let's see how this curious episode pans out.
It will be politically expedient to hang the whole thing on the Rojak seller. The trouble is that they are dealing with scientific and medical professionals so it cannot be massaged easily.

I have not doubt that they will charge the rojak seller but the number of rats on the glue strip after the event is a real shocker. I am sure there is small battle between the MOE and MOH and Khaw did send a broadside across the MOE's bow.

Except to benefit the Rojak seller and anti-establishment figures, the red herrings does not serve the govt so why did ST raise it?

TheBonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one thinks that it is easy to get food poisoning, please go the the Thai supermarket in Woh Hup Complex on Beach Road and look at the type of food ingredients being sold to get a proper perspective to the issue.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Authorities complacent, too many people (read foreign trash) quote]

<style></style>I think I was the first to raise this issue.That is the question of foreign trash(PRC Indians,Peony & etc) in far too many numbers than this island could cope up.Its a akin to a leaking roof.Perhaps not too many sinkies know since almost all live in HDB pigeon holes.If your roof leaks.One should not look at the spot exactly where it leaks.Its only a symptom.The root cause is elsewhere.Perhaps a crack in the wall supporting the roof.

If rats and cockroaches are the cause of geylang seari rojak saga.The root cause lies in the uncontrolled amount of filthy Banglas,PRC and etc living in filthy environment in geylang itself.Geylang was notorious for gangland and prostitutes before.It is notorious for PRC prostitutes and Bangla coolies now.Pest too know their 'healthy' environment to live and breed.

Just like the concept of western medicine, this government attacks only the symptom.Whereas in holistic treatment like TCM or homeopathy one should attack the root of the cause.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one thinks that it is easy to get food poisoning, please go the the Thai supermarket in Woh Hup Complex on Beach Road and look at the type of food ingredients being sold to get a proper perspective to the issue.

<style></style>Thai food assault one senses.But look carefully.Their liberal use of turmeric is a natural ant-septic cum anti biotic.Unless of course it is poison that one eats.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought he died of a sudden heart attack?, he was the original type of nasi leamk, with the chicken drumstick etc.. the best quality, money can buy; before all the copy cats, like the over-hyped Punngol..and others.

Didn't know he was set alight & died..."hell has no fury like a woman scorned"..:p

Thats the one bro. The official version was misadventure due to kitchen stove fire.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Likewise I am curious as to why the authorities would claim Vibrio if it was otherwise. No doubt there is an issue of accoutanbility on NEA's part viz checking and enforcing cleanliness and good hygiene...however this would appear to be too big and public a matter to 'cover up' in such a manner.

Let's see how this curious episode pans out.

Lets wait and see as you say. Interesting times.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Por

Thanks for the perspective and for reminding us that even after a NUKE, rats and cockcroaches would outlive us. They will and always be ard so its hard to quantify at what stage they would cause poisoning and a threat to human health.

Locke

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
another case now, i wonder what story ST will comes up with. the restaurant get their seafood from the same supplier?

such a cover-up makes me wonder who is the one who put the poison

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style>Thai food assault one senses.But look carefully.Their liberal use of turmeric is a natural ant-septic cum anti biotic.Unless of course it is poison that one eats.

Thai food dont normally use tumeric but indian curry do/ I think thai food uses more lime and tamrind for the same purpose

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thai food dont normally use tumeric but indian curry do/ I think thai food uses more lime and tamrind for the same purpose

<style></style>Thais do use turmeric.They use it fresh.And they mistakenly call it 'fresh ginger'.If you happen to see a ginger shaped root with a shoot sticking out in any Thai shop.Its fresh turmeric.

And you are right lime/lemon too is a great anti sceptic.And it is also a natural antacid .It reduces the acidity in your body to alkaline .But lime/lemon is more expensive.

I suspect the Indian Roja forgoes natural Indian spices like Chili and Turmeric.Hence more susceptible to food poisoning....

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
154 casualties. 48 hospitalized. 2 deaths. 122 rats. All the rojak man’s fault?
Monday, 13 April 2009, 1:13 pm | 335 views
Khairulanwar Zaini

While the mass food poisoning may be the fault of an errant individual stall owner, the dirty state of the market reflects a worrying systemic failure on the part of the NEA and the Geylang Serai Temporary Market Management Committee.

As the nation tries to grapple with the physical cost of the tragic mass food poisoning incident, preliminary investigations by the Ministry of Health have revealed that the outbreak is “most likely due to cross-contamination of rojak and raw seafood ingredients harbouring the (Vibrio parahaemolyticus) bacteria”. There have also been questions raised about the hygiene regime of the Geylang Serai temporary market - not least underscored by the discovery of 122 rats during the spring-cleaning efforts recently.

While it is convenient to isolate and attribute this tragedy to Mr Sheik Allaudin Mohideen, the rojak stall owner, this perspective does not sufficiently answer broader concerns of hygiene and cleanliness standards.

An NEA official was reported by the Today newspaper to have berated the stall owners attending a hygiene course conducted last Thursday, while Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, the Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, condemned the events as “totally unacceptable” and that it was “outrageous that this has happened”. The minister promised to hold those responsible accountable.

Strong sentiments indeed, but his counterpart in the Health Ministry, Mr Khaw Boon Wan, has raised a more germane concern about the overall cleanliness standard having “dropped to maybe 5/10 or worse”.

This begs the question: doesn’t NEA have a major part to play in maintaining the “overall cleanliness standard?”

Responsibility – Yaacob and 122 rats

There are essentially two separate, albeit overlapping, issues that have been conveniently conflated by the authorities: the hygiene standard of individual stalls, and the cleanliness of the temporary market.

Stall owners who are diffident towards the hygiene standards of their own stalls face strong financial disincentives in fines that may be imposed, and the loss of potential customers; most stall owners interviewed recognize their “individual responsibility” in maintainng hygiene standards, given that their source of income and livelihood is on the line. Hence, the inevitable few errant stall owners should not tar the efforts of the majority, and NEA also has some responsibility in its checks to detect these instances of non-compliance.

However, the responsibility in ensuring that the overall cleanliness of the market should fall squarely on NEA. Despite Dr Yaacob assurance of a ’sound regime’ to the Straits Times, the fiasco of 122 rats suggests a failure on the part of NEA to intervene and nip an incipient safety threat in the bud.

As much as stall owners should be held responsible for any hygiene lapses, surely NEA is also culpable in its failure to ensure a clean market environment at Geylang Serai.

The temporary market houses both the hawker and wet market stalls in close vicinity, a conducive environment to encourage the prevalence of pests.

These circumstances might be understandable considering the market was meant to be temporary; however there was an appalling lack of effort to mitigate this potential threat to cleanliness: in the entire 3 years since its establishment, there were no spring-cleaning effort held until last Wednesday and Thursday – after the food poisoning happened.

The notable absence of regular clean-up efforts raises questions for the Geylang Serai Temporary Market Management Committee to answer: why was there only one spring-cleaning held after three years of operation, and that taking place only two months before the planned move to the new Geylang Serai market?

Taking into consideration that such clean-up efforts take place once every two months at the old Geylang Serai market, according to a vegetable stall owner who have worked at both locations, it seems that the Management Committee has been astoundingly complacent towards the need to maintain the cleanliness condition of its market.

And more striking is how NEA reacted in the catastrophe’s wake– passing the buck to respective local management committees of each market. Without ensuring these cleanups happen, NEA’s tough stance in maintaining the hygiene and cleanliness standards are nothing but sanctimonious words.

The NEA is the only agency with the mandate to enforce these standards, and adopting a laissez-faire approach and devolving its authority to the discretion of individual management committees without any oversight makes a mockery of the ’sound regime’ that Dr Yaacob has been talking about.

One stallholder told the ST that huge rats run around the market regularly, playing like “Tom and Jerry”. Is NEA playing a Tom and Jerry hide-and-seek game with its responsibility?

A tale of 122 rats

The 122 rats caught in the spring-cleaning effort constitute a significant failure in the hygiene management of the market, and it would be disproportionate to attribute the presence of the rats to the individual stall owners since it concerns the conditions of the entire temporary market. It would only be fair for either the management committee and NEA to answer for the prevalence of these pests, as with any stall owner who has committed hygiene lapses.

A blame game is never prudent, particularly in crises of confidence such as this. The NEA, in its strong reprobations to the stall owners, has pinned the blame of the entire affair on the stall owners - but the lack of oversight and its detachment from the management of the markets points to the agency’s culpability of this episode.

While the mass food poisoning may be the fault of an errant individual stall owner, the dirty state of the market reflects a worrying systemic failure in the part of NEA and the Geylang Serai Temporary Market Management Committee. This incident however should prompt for a soul-searching exercise at the NEA and the respective local management committees of the various markets and food establishments to review the execution and enforcement of safety standards, which has evidently failed at Geylang Serai.

Pinning the guilt alone on the individual lapses of a rojak seller, yet ignoring the systemic lapses that has allowed for 122 rats to fester (and this number are the ones caught - who can safely hazard that no rats have been left behind?) means that the 152 people who endured an uncomfortable week have suffered in vain. Leadership in matters like these are best provided by those in authority, and the public should expect a more stringent regime to ensure the cleanliness of our food establishments.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
7) notalone on April 13th, 2009 2.56 pm My relative happens to work inside the market.

There are people who claimed that just 2 days before the food poisoning at the rojak stall, there was argument about cleaniness between the ‘temprorary market committee’ and another hawker in the same market.

Next day (1 day before food poisoning), someone witness there was a man ‘tossing’ rat poison all over the market in the NIGHT, claiming doing his duty to ‘kill rats.’ ‘Tossing’ literally means hurling the rat poison over the closed / locked hawker stalls.

Till now, no one could determine who that man was from, but suspected he was a representative from the ‘temprorary market committee’.

Wondering the Authority has looked into whether the victims sufferred food poisoning from eating ‘rat poison’ that could have got into the food or water from the rat-killing exercise by, possibly, the temprorary market committee people.

Hope the Indian Rojak stall owner will get a fair investigation and treatment.
11) Ah Hock on April 13th, 2009 3.16 pm Re what notalone posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2259718.st :
The authorities in China say rat poison is the most likely cause of a mass outbreak of food poisoning that killed dozens of people in the east of the country ….

Like bad food, rat poison causes diarrhoea.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
10) David on April 13th, 2009 3.08 pm The expert said food poisoning has nothing to do with the rats caught in geylang otherwise other hawkers within the same vicinity would have face similar food contamination too.

It could be that the foods were already contaminated before it passed down through chain of suppliers before reaching the rojak stall who eventually served them to his customers. I hope the rojak stall can lead NEA to the main source of food poisoning instead of taking the full blame unfairly. I wonder if the same suppliers who supplied food to the rojak stall also supply contaminated food to other part of the island.

After this food poisoning incident which has nothing to do with rats, it indirectly brought up another critical issue here. The over population of rats have also digged out more serious problems in Singapore which I believe NEA has overlooked or the respective Town Council are sleeping on the job like an oblivious cat waiting to be fed and doing nothing.

As usual, blaming Singaporean for being ungracious is always seen as the best solution for ministries to shun responsibility but many establishments, controlled by the govt, who were supposed to co-ordinate the cleanliness of this country have not been seen working hard or good enough beside getting highly paid to do the job.

Take for instance If you blame Singaporean for being ungracious because of the increase of dengue fever in Singapore. Have you also looked into the fact of Singapore weather condition, the never ending muddy construction site going on in the housing estate, the forever growing bushy trees in the housing estates that NPB has never send people to trim for ages, HDB building blocks so closed to each other that we can literally throw ping pong ball into our neighbour’s home from the opposite block and not the least the influx of foreigners all adds up to become a winning combination of a very unhygienic living environment conducive for Aedese mosquito to breed.

Do we still blame Singaporean as the main cause for all the problems Singaporeans have already been screaming about? Stop blaming us ministers and take a good look of your own establishment in charge for the lack of efficiency in services.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style> I smell a rat.Is this food poisoning saga a prelude for future hawker-centers to be built for tenders?Everytime something happens it becomes an excuse for PAP to 'privatise for profiteering.Mabrok Tan should know.

Maybe rats are just red herrings.Lately govt owned NTUC and some big groups are getting into cooked food business.Tell me who have deep pockets to tender for 500k monthly rentals.

again I smell a rat.

An old uncle told me big fires were deliberately started in kampongs to make way for HDB in the olden days.Now HDB pigeon holes cost you a leg and a arm.Similarly with Singtel,MRT,PUB and etc.Privatize,privatize privatize.Which essentially means taking out from the left pocket and putting back into the right pocket....Charging more.

The cat is now out of the bag.Wet markets are tendered now.Soon hawker centers will follow.So what was all this fuss about food poisoning in Geylang Serai.Was it actually a posturing to privatize hawker centers for profits?Me wonder...

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
ahneh2.jpg

"Now you all know we look friendly and nice nice on one head but another head of us is fatal. Don't mess around with ah nehs powers hor! Hei hei hei.. "

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Now you all know we look friendly and nice nice on one head but another head of us is fatal. Don't mess around with ah nehs powers hor! Hei hei hei.. "

Hey NTUC did get into duck rice & funeral parlor business right !...So Indian Rojak business should not be that difficult for them right ...:p

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
How long do a market remains temporary?Did anyone bothered to ask.

Geylang Serai temporary market began its existence in the 1st quarter of 2006 .:eek:.Does this not tell us something.Stop pointing fingers at poor rats.The finger points at Marboro Tan.