• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rojak Food Poisoning : 'I don't know what to say'

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bacteria will not induce coma...and my first thought was rat poison and speaking to my fadder in law, there is a deeper story behind it.

This reminds me of Golden Shoe Nasi Lemak seller who was set alight by his 2nd wife after she found out her husband was planning to bring the first wife back from India. She also set herself alight. Both died so the son of the first wife is now running the joint.

Sadly the 2nd wife set up the first stall that spawned a number of copycats.

Of course the police classified it as misadventure. Akan Datang, I guess

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Indian rojak should actually be called Indian Muslim rojak as they are sold only by Indian Muslims who are in Singapore only for making money and then return to India where they are very wealthy. .

You are splitting hairs here. They are Indians. They never claimed to be Hindu or Christians. I have never heard of Indian Hindu Rojak or Indian Christian Rojak. What exactly is bugging you?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
images

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
:cool:
actually i was having lunch with some biologists, they were talking about this and many of them doubt the possibility of bacteria.

reason 1: if it is bacteria surely it involve very high fever for a few days. this is the results of the body immune system fighting against it.
reason 2: the rate of organ failure is too fast. it sounds more like a chemical poisoning

Precisely.......AS I said, you dun jus fall in a coma jus lidat from Bacteria:cool:

Hmmm....

breakingfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
You appear to be delving into speculation, hearsay and conjecture to back up your unsubstantiated suspicions and agenda.

The authorities appear to have taken a position as follows based on lab tests including that of the first deceased...it involved Vibrio parahaemolyticus, a bacteria that belongs to the same family as cholera...Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a common cause of food poisoning associated with the consumption of raw or partyially cooked seafood...the outbreak is "most likely due to a cross contamination of rojak and raw seafood ingredients harbouring the bacteria"...the seafood appears to be either prawn fritters or cuttlefish or both which also came from rojak stall...

FYI I gather that when there is acute serious vomitting and diarrhoea as in this specific outbreak case, this leads to big drop in blood pressure because of loss of fluids and in turn leads to loss of consciousness and coma...this does not appear to be a case of infection spread by rats

I think what radon39 trying to say is that there ar rumors spreading within the hawkers that due to the large amount of rats in the hawker centre, rat poison ar used to kill them. The rats, WITH the rat poison on them , somehow contaminate the food. And the symptoms from the victims and the fast reaction time seems similar to consuming rat poison.

Ian6690

Alfrescian
Loyal
I may not be a scientist/doctor/biologist, however being reasonably well read on health and medical stuffs, here is what I believe:

1. For bateria related food poisoning, just like what vamjok's biologist friends stated, the body will fight the baterial and victims will have some form of fever. However it seems that there were no incidences of such.

2. Organ failure for some victims sets in too fast to be due to bateria infection. Imagine 2 went into coma within under 2 or 3 days! Also this is the first time I "learn" that bacteria poisoning can cause blood pressure to drop so fast or so much as soon. Usually dehydration kicks in first but blood pressure drop so soon, kidney or livery failure so fast? Coma so soon?

3. Bacteria caused food usually either taste sour or smelt foul. However some victims complained the gravy was "off" but they did not use terms like sour or smelly/foul. Think foreign "chemical" input (accidental or otherwise) more likely the cause for the off taste.

4. One victim even release blood liquid during her frequent trips to the restroom. I have encountered diarhorea before but never did I experience bloody stools due to food poisonning.

5. Seafood related bacteria found in some of the victims - how unlikely not to find so given our food is quite varied? I won't be surprised my stomach is now home to dozens of bacteria at this moment.

6. Lastly and MOST importantly, I don't believe what is mentioned in the papers, internet or any other media totally without judging for myself the credibility of the information.

Others in the forum may put down my above opinions but that still don't change my opinions and I will continue to let my family members and friends know what's my take on this Rojak food poisoning case.

Last edited:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
those who believe what the news say it is due to bacteria, ask those who handle bacteria everyday what's their view on this.

no fever, no lao sai, for few days suddenly organs all fail. if got such bacteria trust me, the terrorist will buy this strain.

its high likely to be toxic chemical.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
FYI I gather that when there is acute serious vomitting and diarrhoea as in this specific outbreak case, this leads to big drop in blood pressure because of loss of fluids and in turn leads to loss of consciousness and coma...this does not appear to be a case of infection spread by rats

You are twisting other pple's words. Radon did not say infection caused by rats. He said rat poison.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think what radon39 trying to say is that there ar rumors spreading within the hawkers that due to the large amount of rats in the hawker centre, rat poison ar used to kill them. The rats, WITH the rat poison on them , somehow contaminate the food. And the symptoms from the victims and the fast reaction time seems similar to consuming rat poison.

If the cause are the rats, why only 1 store kenna? It should be several stores at once. Unless the owner prepares the food on the floor?:confused:

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
From wiki :

There are no tests that will diagnose bromethalin poisoning in pets, but signs to watch for include severe muscle tremors, hyperexcitability, fits, extreme sensitivity to being touched (hyperesthesia) and seizures that appear to be caused by light or noise. Secondary bromethalin poisoning can occur in dogs or cats who eat a mouse killed by Bromethalin. In such cases, the pet owner may notice the "mild" symptoms such as loss of ability to bark, loss of appetite, depression, lethargy and coma.

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I heard that the patient fell into a coma and had ACute renal failure, first thought was rat poison. IT is clearly toxic poisoning. PErhaps the rats could have spread or brought the poison to the food storage?

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 10, 2009
MASS FOOD POISONING
Probe into another stall <!--10 min-->
<!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <!--<tr><td>
viewMorePhotos.gif
View more photos
<div class="border_dbl2_bn"">
c.gif
</div> </td></tr>--> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By April Chong & Diana Othman </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
shinmin-jupoison.jpg

</td> <td width="10">

c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

PHOTO: SHINMIN

</td></tr> </tbody></table>
<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->
<div>
ST_IMAGES_JUPOISON10.jpg
</div>

INVESTIGATIONS into what may have led to Singapore's worst outbreak of food poisoning appears to have moved beyond the Indian rojak stall to a neighbouring stall selling mee siam. It is now known that both stalls in the Geylang Serai Temporary Market shared the same refrigerator. The rojak sellers also used their neighbour's premises to store and wash their equipment. A joint statement from the Health Ministry and National Environment Agency (NEA) said a food handler at the mee siam stall has been referred to the Communicable Disease Centre for screening. As for the five Indian rojak sellers, three have cleared tests while results for the other two are pending.

It is becoming increasingly certain from further laboratory testing that the Vibro parahaemolyticus bacteria is the source of the food poisoning, 'most likely due to cross-contamination of rojak and raw seafood ingredients harbouring the bacteria,' said the statement. At last count, 154 people have been struck after eating the stall's Indian rojak, with 48 people warded. Six patients remain in hospital. The outbreak was cited as an example of deteriorating hygiene standards by Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan yesterday. He gave Singapore a close to a 'fail' grade on matters of hygiene, compared with the nine in 10 points during the 2003 Sars virus outbreak. Complacency has set in, he told reporters at a Health Promotion Board event, referring to the state of public toilets today as another example. He suggested stepping up the frequency of spring-cleaning at hawker centres. NEA guidelines state that this should take place two or three times a year. The Geylang Serai market was closed for two days for cleaners to wash the area and stallholders to scour their stalls. Pest controllers have been laying traps and baits since last Friday to rid the area of rats.
Read the full story in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 9, 2009
Rojak food poisoning
War on rats in market <!--10 min-->
<!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Judith Tan </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
rats.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

Rats culled at the Temporary Geylang Market where a mass food poisoning case caused 2 deaths as massive cleaning of the compound is taking place. -- ST PHOTO: JOSEPH NAIR FOR THE STRAITS TIME
</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->
RATS were writhing on pieces of cardboard laid out between stalls at the Geylang Serai Temporary Market when pest controllers got there on Thursday morning. Rows of them were stuck in the green glue, part of traps laid out the night before, in an effort to spring clean the temporary structure, now infamous for the Indian rojak stall which is the focal point of Singapore's worst outbreak of food poisoning. By noon, pest controllers had cleared away 61 rats, said Mr Kwok Kim Poh, who oversees the day-to-day running of the market for its management committee.

He said the glue strips were laid out after cleaning stopped at 7pm on Wednesday along the stalls 'most popular with the rats', which included fresh vegetables and fruit stalls as well as food stalls like the Indian rojak unit. Compared to past efforts to bait rats, this was a more effective method of trapping the rodents, he said. Whether the rats have a role in the food poisoning that has affected at least 144 victims since last Friday and caused two deaths is uncertain. Preliminary investigations traced the source to a bacteria which attacks raw or partially-cooked seafood, such as the prawn and cuttlefish items served in Indian rojak. The rodent infestation appears to be concentrated in a wet market situated next to the hawker centre. The rats are said to have come from the sewers running under the temporary market. Stallholders said that because the cleaners do not work after 7pm, plates with leftover food are left at the centre overnight - drawing the rats. Direct contact with the rats or their urine and droppings can cause Weil's Disease. This starts with influenza-like symptoms and can end in kidney failure.

Read the full report in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.