• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rojak Food Poisoning : 'I don't know what to say'

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 9, 2009
Rojak food poisoning
Another stall affected too? <!--10 min-->
<!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By April Chong & Diana Othman </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
geylangcleanup.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

Rats culled at the Temporary Geylang Market where a mass food poisoning case caused 2 deaths as massive cleaning of the compound is taking place. -- PHOTO: JOSEPH NAIR FOR THE STRAITS TIMES
</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->
INVESTIGATIONS into what may have led to Singapore's worst outbreak of food poisoning appears to have moved beyond the Indian rojak stall to a neighbouring stall selling mee siam. It is now known that both stalls in the Geylang Serai Temporary Market shared the same refrigerator. The rojak sellers also used their neighbour's premises to store and wash their equipment.

A joint statement from the Health Ministry and National Environment Agency said a food handler at the mee siam stall has been referred to the Communicable Disease Centre for screening. As for the five Indian rojak sellers, three have cleared tests while results of the other two are pending.
It is becoming increasingly certain from further laboratory testing that the Vibro parahaemolyticus bacteria is the source of the food poisoning, 'most likely due to cross-contamination of rojak and raw seafood ingredients harbouring the bacteria,' said the statement.

Any biologists here to verify?

At last count, 154 people have been struck after eating the stall's Indian rojak with 48 people warded. Six patients remain in hospital. The outbreak was cited as an example of deteriorating hygiene standards by Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan on Thursday. He gave Singapore a close to a 'fail' grade on matters of hygiene, compared to the nine in 10 points during the 2003 Sars virus outbreak. Complacency has set in, he told reporters at a Health Promotion Board event, referring to the state of public toilets today as another example. He suggested stepping up the frequency of cleaning spring cleaning hawker centres. NEA guidelines state this should take place two or three times a year. The Geylang Serai market was closed for two days for cleaners to wash the area and stallholders to scour their stalls. Pest controllers have been laying traps and baits since Friday to rid the area of rats.

Read the full report in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think what radon39 trying to say is that there ar rumors spreading within the hawkers that due to the large amount of rats in the hawker centre, rat poison ar used to kill them. The rats, WITH the rat poison on them , somehow contaminate the food. And the symptoms from the victims and the fast reaction time seems similar to consuming rat poison.

<style></style><style></style>This theory has more credibility.The rojak could have been poisoned.How?Your guess is as good as mine.

The next question is how large is the dosage.It must have been very large or very potent.Remember 2 people died and 200 people are down.A single poisoned rat could not cause such a heavy damage.Sabotage?

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
April 9, 2009
Rojak food poisoning
Market infested with pests <!--10 min-->
<!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Nicholas Yong </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
Rat-ST.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
c.gif

Rat infestation is a big problem, due to leftover food as there are no cleaners after 7pm. -- ST PHOTO: LAU FOOK KONG
THE Geylang Serai Temporary Market has a problem: Rats. Cleaners and pest controllers have caught 41 rats there since last Friday, the second such intensive hunt this year.

<table valign="top" width="200" align="left"> <tbody><tr><td class="padr8"> <!-- Vodcast --> <table> <tbody><tr><td> VIDEO
</td></tr> <tr><td>
<table align="left"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table> NEA working closely with hawker centres
(1:06)​
</td> </tr> <tr><td>
<table align="left"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table> Geylang Serai Market closed for spring cleaning
(3:41)​
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- Background Story --> </td></tr> </tbody></table> The first came in February, when the National Environment Agency (NEA) was told of the rat infestation problem. The market's management committee did a sweep then, with pest controllers laying out rat bait and glue boards. But these initial measures failed to wipe out the rodent menace, and measures were stepped up. However, it appears that the problem has not been licked, despite the two rat hunts. On Wednesday, as a spring cleaning took place, rats were spotted just outside the hawker centre. There are 83 hawker stalls in the temporary food centre, which adjoins a wet market - where the rat infestation appears to be concentrated. Most of the 41 rats trapped since last Friday were caught there. On Wednesday, the NEA said it has been monitoring the situation, and has advised the temporary market's managing committee to intensify its pest control measures. The agency also conducts regular inspections of individual hawker stalls.
Read the full story in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I can say about the reports is

I SMELL A RAT:p:p:p
Note the last 2 line of ST report.

"Direct contact with the rats or their urine and droppings can cause Weil's Disease. This starts with influenza-like symptoms and can end in kidney failure. "

Looks like you might be close to what is happening.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

"Direct contact with the rats or their urine and droppings can cause Weil's Disease. This starts with influenza-like symptoms and can end in kidney failure. "

<style></style>ST!!!...did I hear ST?...the 152nd.:eek:

When was the last time ST did any investigative journalism except to obfuscate for PAP or at best to tell half truths.Can anyone here vouch for ST?..Hands up please.:cool:

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
The outbreak was cited as an example of deteriorating hygiene standards by Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan on Thursday. He gave Singapore a close to a 'fail' grade on matters of hygiene, compared to the nine in 10 points during the 2003 Sars virus outbreak. Complacency has set in, he told reporters at a Health Promotion Board event, referring to the state of public toilets today as another example. He suggested stepping up the frequency of cleaning spring cleaning hawker centres. NEA guidelines state this should take place two or three times a year.

KBW is right! It is due to the complacency of NEA that causes the rat infestation at the market. People had been vigilant in raising up issues of the rat problem, but what NEA had done is to push the responsibility to the management of the temporary market?:oIo:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pure conjecture, speculation and hearsay. The authorities say Vibrio bacteria based on lab tests...are the authorities incorrect or worst still trying to cover up a "rat poisoning" case instead?...I don't know for sure, but I would think this is a very serious accusation to make and should be backed up by more concrete evidence before being made.

Btw were the "rats" being dealt with prior to the rojak case breaking out?

I think what radon39 trying to say is that there ar rumors spreading within the hawkers that due to the large amount of rats in the hawker centre, rat poison ar used to kill them. The rats, WITH the rat poison on them , somehow contaminate the food. And the symptoms from the victims and the fast reaction time seems similar to consuming rat poison.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
One other point...if "rat posion" is truly the cause, why would the authorities claim Vibrio bacteria instead?
When I heard that the patient fell into a coma and had ACute renal failure, first thought was rat poison. IT is clearly toxic poisoning. PErhaps the rats could have spread or brought the poison to the food storage?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you too have your suspicions eh?...I am still curious as to why the authorities would take a totally different position albeit still what appears to be a preliminary by the ongoing investigation.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh and I gather the classic signs of Weil's disease is jaundice, which does not appear to be the case in this Rojak matter.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you too have your suspicions eh?...I am still curious as to why the authorities would take a totally different position albeit still what appears to be a preliminary by the ongoing investigation.
I found it curious that the Govt mouthpiece put renal failure anf rats together. I think we are seeing smoke now.

Last edited:

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
what else can he say? do you want him to follow NEA's example?

NEA: Rats in temp markets, not our problem hor, temp market's management committee peasants must take e rap hor!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps...but from the symptoms thus far described of the victims, I don't think it is "rat poison"...the rats appear to be a red herring, well to me anywhere...let's see the definitive findings, also the link with the mee siam stall and the CDC tests.
I found it curious that the Govt mouthpiece put renal failure anf rats together. I think we are seeing smoke now.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
April 9, 2009
Rojak food poisoning
Another stall affected too? <!--10 min-->
<!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By April Chong & Diana Othman </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
geylangcleanup.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
c.gif

Rats culled at the Temporary Geylang Market where a mass food poisoning case caused 2 deaths as massive cleaning of the compound is taking place. -- PHOTO: JOSEPH NAIR FOR THE STRAITS TIMES
INVESTIGATIONS into what may have led to Singapore's worst outbreak of food poisoning appears to have moved beyond the Indian rojak stall to a neighbouring stall selling mee siam. It is now known that both stalls in the Geylang Serai Temporary Market shared the same refrigerator. The rojak sellers also used their neighbour's premises to store and wash their equipment.

A joint statement from the Health Ministry and National Environment Agency said a food handler at the mee siam stall has been referred to the Communicable Disease Centre for screening. As for the five Indian rojak sellers, three have cleared tests while results of the other two are pending.
It is becoming increasingly certain from further laboratory testing that the Vibro parahaemolyticus bacteria is the source of the food poisoning, 'most likely due to cross-contamination of rojak and raw seafood ingredients harbouring the bacteria,' said the statement.

Any biologists here to verify?

At last count, 154 people have been struck after eating the stall's Indian rojak with 48 people warded. Six patients remain in hospital. The outbreak was cited as an example of deteriorating hygiene standards by Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan on Thursday. He gave Singapore a close to a 'fail' grade on matters of hygiene, compared to the nine in 10 points during the 2003 Sars virus outbreak. Complacency has set in, he told reporters at a Health Promotion Board event, referring to the state of public toilets today as another example. He suggested stepping up the frequency of cleaning spring cleaning hawker centres. NEA guidelines state this should take place two or three times a year. The Geylang Serai market was closed for two days for cleaners to wash the area and stallholders to scour their stalls. Pest controllers have been laying traps and baits since Friday to rid the area of rats.

Read the full report in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.
Just bcos one ministry didnt do the job, another ministry need to do mopped up exercise. who is incharge of the NEA. how come no action from him go jiak hong is it

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
we should consider ourselves very lucky.
this type of incident happens very often in other countries also.