• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rojak Food Poisoning : 'I don't know what to say'

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 8, 2009
ROJAK FOOD POISONING
'I don't know what to say' <!--10 min-->
<!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Sujin Thomas </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
rojakowner.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

Mr Sheik Allaudin Mohideen (left) could only utter: 'I don't know what to say.' -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN
</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->
TOLD that a second person had died from eating what seemed to be tainted Indian rojak from his stall, Mr Sheik Allaudin Mohideen, 70, could only utter: 'I don't know what to say.' It was a sombre Mr Allaudin who spoke to The Straits Times on Wednesday afternoon. He had been wandering aimlessly round the temporary centre, which is next to his own home in Eunos, casually chatting with other stall holders.

<table valign="top" width="200" align="left"> <tbody><tr><td class="padr8"> <!-- Vodcast --> <table> <tbody><tr><td> VIDEO
</td></tr> <tr><td>
<table align="left"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table> NEA working closely with hawker centres
(1:06)​
</td> </tr> <tr><td>
<table align="left"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table> Geylang Serai Market closed for spring cleaning
(3:41)​
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- Background Story --> </td></tr> </tbody></table> Nearby were his two sons, permanent residents from India, who help him run the popular stall with two helpers. Mr Allaudin said he was stunned when two men approached him on Saturday as he was preparing food at his stall at 4.30am, berating him for serving their family members tainted food. He did not know who they were but was frightened enough to throw away the peanut gravy that he had been preparing for the day. Talk that he might have been serving leftovers from the earlier day was not true, he maintained. He always threw away whatever he could not sell after he closes the stall at about 10pm.
Keeping his answers short and sharp, he said: 'I'm just running a business. I had no intention of harming people. I'm very upset.'

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkaporean kena killed by FT! Relax Joe.. take it easy lah.

"I don't know what to say" - good answer, learn from pinky clown.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkaporean kena killed by FT! Relax Joe.. take it easy lah.

"I don't know what to say" - good answer, learn from pinky clown.

Does that resonate with " I do not know what to pay"...very soon, when he gets sued...he will go 'undercover"...hard to find!:(

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this case is not simple. Let's wait for the NEA to complete their investigations first.

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hopefully the stall owner must pay for his mistakes. Imagine people actually dead becos of his food.:eek:

Unless someone spiked the rojak, most likely this guy is already liable for damages.

Other than him, I am also interested to know if the landlord or NEA contributed to this screw up.

People have reported seeing rats around the hawker centre. What actions did the landlord take?

How does NEA conduct their audits? Do they suddenly show up for surprise checks or do they tell the hawker 3 months in advance so everybody can do a nice wayang?

Can anyone remember how Prima Deli settled their contaminated cake incident?

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot believe how much the 154th has covered up....my fadder-in-law works at the kopi shop der...and the story is very different....and from the beginning the signs/symptoms reek of rat poisoning effects...and that too, they not saying.....

DUN BELIEVE WAT YOU READ!

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hopefully the stall owner must pay for his mistakes. Imagine people actually dead becos of his food.:eek:

I think not only the stall owner need to take up responibility, our NEA also need to take some responibility too.

I heard that the temporary hawker center will full of rats and cockroaches, did the NEA dept send people go down here weekly to check the condition?

I think never, they only came once then they disappear for 3 months then come back again.

We are paying many taxpayers money to the PAP ministers such as Environmental ministers and the NEA staff such as salaries and bonuses, but are they really working or just only wayang wayang?

I think the NEA need to take responibility for this issue too.

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Indian rojak should actually be called Indian Muslim rojak as they are sold only by Indian Muslims who are in Singapore only for making money and then return to India where they are very wealthy. The Geylang Serai rojak owner is said to have 2 sons here who are PRs. I bet by now they would have packed off to India. Even the old man would do that unless the authorities confiscate their passports until justice is done.

Dogtracker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot believe how much the 154th has covered up....my fadder-in-law works at the kopi shop der...and the story is very different....and from the beginning the signs/symptoms reek of rat poisoning effects...and that too, they not saying.....

DUN BELIEVE WAT YOU READ!

Seems like it will be prudent for a certain family to have a private autopsy conducted!

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
For someone to enter Coma or to enter into ARF, it is definitely not Seafood, or salmonella....those will give you vomitting and PErsistent Gastric discomfort...

Getting into a Coma, is like Bromethalin poisoning.....and that is Rat poison

Dogtracker

Alfrescian
Loyal
For someone to enter Coma or to enter into ARF, it is definitely not Seafood, or salmonella....those will give you vomitting and PErsistent Gastric discomfort...

Getting into a Coma, is like Bromethalin poisoning.....and that is Rat poison

Nea provided a link to CDC USA on the bacteria culprit. Maybe that'll shed some light on the symptoms?

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bacteria will not induce coma...and my first thought was rat poison and speaking to my fadder in law, there is a deeper story behind it.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
You appear to be delving into speculation, hearsay and conjecture to back up your unsubstantiated suspicions and agenda.

The authorities appear to have taken a position as follows based on lab tests including that of the first deceased...it involved Vibrio parahaemolyticus, a bacteria that belongs to the same family as cholera...Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a common cause of food poisoning associated with the consumption of raw or partyially cooked seafood...the outbreak is "most likely due to a cross contamination of rojak and raw seafood ingredients harbouring the bacteria"...the seafood appears to be either prawn fritters or cuttlefish or both which also came from rojak stall...

FYI I gather that when there is acute serious vomitting and diarrhoea as in this specific outbreak case, this leads to big drop in blood pressure because of loss of fluids and in turn leads to loss of consciousness and coma...this does not appear to be a case of infection spread by rats

The bacteria will not induce coma...and my first thought was rat poison and speaking to my fadder in law, there is a deeper story behind it.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

say lah, dun keep us in suspense. is it the 2nd daughter-in-law who is jealous of the eldest son? or the stall owner next door who is jealous of rojak man?

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually i was having lunch with some biologists, they were talking about this and many of them doubt the possibility of bacteria.

reason 1: if it is bacteria surely it involve very high fever for a few days. this is the results of the body immune system fighting against it.
reason 2: the rate of organ failure is too fast. it sounds more like a chemical poisoning

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SO many day but no answer for the food poisoning. Maybe must ask help from US CSI investigator can do better jobs. In few hour can get the result.