• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

reminiscence of primary school days......

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dunno whether that could be considered gambling. during our times, we called it "gambar-gambar". they sold those cards with nice pictures and numbers on it. so kids used that to bet on it.

we also would pick red saga seeds when the saga trees in season. then we would play guessing game. we guess how many altogether in clutched hands the seeds that were within would total up. similarly, we could also substitute the wager with cuti-cuti. the one who guessed the total correctly win everything. there could only one winner. each would take turn to guess first to go.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
hey LTB ....organise a sbf hantambola event la. I am sure many guys here wanna throw stuff at each other.

I would love to throw the ball at clinton's clit, tony's mouth and BosSam's winking eye.

oh yes! the hantam bola was the best game to get even with classmates u bore grudges with. it was good exercise running and chasing after the bright plastic ball. the one who held the ball would use it to "hantam" or hit anyone he wanted to. he could chase after him/her to get closer and fire it with all his might. the best hit would be to hit the head and everyone would yell: TIO TAO PEOW!! (lst prize in 4D)

one thing bad would be school uniforms would get dirtied and stained with the ball marks when we played in muddy school fields. and our bata canvas shoes would really get all soiled. worst, when back home, would definitely get a big scolding from the parents or even from the teachers. who care! the game went on.......

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey LTB ....organise a sbf hantambola event la. I am sure many guys here wanna throw stuff at each other.

I would love to throw the ball at clinton's clit, tony's mouth and BosSam's winking eye.

if i were to organise, i would suggest using mangoesteen or better still aborted young durians substituting the ball. :wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seeing Primary 8 students beat the shit out of each other during recess time.

Kids these days don't know what they have been missing.
Good example: sand, steel, hardwood and concrete playground. Now they get rubber mats, round edges and brightly colored plastic slides that don't exceed 2m in height. Boring, and pathetic.

Click this

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was sent to Beatty Pr. Sch. English wing (there was a Chinese wing too). When buying textbooks, I got the shock of my life, 12 English textbooks for Pr. 1. Basically every chapter was a short story followed by fill-in-the-blank and MCQ comprehension exercises. There were regular spelling, dictation (memory), diction (oral) and composition exercises and tests conducted by the teacher too. Another 12 for Pr. 2, by then no longer shocked since used to it already. At Pr. 3 it was reduced to 2 thick textbooks - Oxford Vocabulary and Oxford Grammar. Drilling on what's noun, verb, adverb, various tenses and inflections of words etc.

The class would split for 2nd Language. Malay and Tamil classes were conducted in the English wing and Chinese in the Chinese wing. My goodness, it was really Chinese wing with Chinese teacher. We had to learn every character in 4 versions, Traditional, Simplified, Zhuyin Fuhao and Hanyu Pinyin. Normal exercises could be written in ballpoint but we had to use brush and inkstone too for calligraphy lessons. Nothing like adult professional calligrapher's set, just a small brush-tipped bamboo pen slightly longer than a ballpoint pen and a small inkstone in a circular shallow casing like comestic powder or medical rub casing.

I think after my time, Traditional Chinese, Zhuyin Fuhao and brush calligraphy had since been removed from the syllabus.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
keeping fighting spiders as pets in match boxes and catching those iridescent male spiders in the bushes around the school gardens or public parks. catching houseflies using plastic. breaking the wings to feed the fly live to pet spiders. challenging with friends by pitting the spiders against each other for fun and excitement. there usually would be a crowd of other interested boys and girls who would be thrilled to watch how the pair of male spiders slut it out on a matchbox.

This one really bring back memories. Used to catch tok kong spiders at Kaki Bukit Chinese cemetery aka batak teng...presently Bedok Reservoir.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
i wonder kids these days keep a pet fighting spider? when they see a spider, they would yell their heads off!

i used to catch bigger, monstrous and hairy spiders which the kampong folks called "la gia". these monster spiders fyi got 2 insiduous fangs. it was about the size of a fully stretched palm.

birds-shooting was another favorite past-time. the weapons were all self-made.

this may sound weird and uncommon but my school was near to a beach where i loved to catch land hermit crabs there. u heard it - hermit crabs as pets.very fun critters to play with. literally ate anything i ate. once a while must go hunt for bigger empty shells for them as they grew bigger. when we were resettled into hdb flats, i had to set them free from where i caught them.

it is quite rare now to find any land hermit crabs along our beaches.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
many of them migrated to the mountains ...now really living as hermits.

Some joined Herman...and formed the band Herman's Hermits.....got nice songs leh.

this may sound weird and uncommon but my school was near to a beach where i loved to catch land hermit crabs there. u heard it - hermit crabs as pets.very fun critters to play with. literally ate anything i ate. once a while must go hunt for bigger empty shells for them as they grew bigger. when we were resettled into hdb flats, i had to set them free from where i caught them.

it is quite rare now to find any land hermit crabs along our beaches.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
one thing very vivid to me was the tuck-shop's food. a bowl of noodle was 10c then. a cup of syrup water was 5c. the more expensive rice with veggies was only 20c.

as most kids were from the kampongs, there was very little pocket money to spend. my daily pocket money was only 20c. it would be spent on a bowl of noodle, a syrup water and a 5c kachang-puteh or other 5c titbits. all the kachang-puteh sold by the mamak was only 5c except for the cashew nuts whic was 10c. for the noodle, the very nice ikan bilis soup was free flow. after eating the noodle, many kids would ask for free soup. it was real good soup without msg. just pure ikan bilis n soyabean brew. same went for the malay mee siam or mee rebus - free flow for the soup.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes yes yes i remember tuck shop too during school days......after school and during NS ...graduate from tuckshop to fuckshop.

Fuckshop cost more than 5c or 10c :(

one thing very vivid to me was the tuck-shop's food. a bowl of noodle was 10c then. a cup of syrup water was 5c. the more expensive rice with veggies was only 20c.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
when was in pri 1 & 2, everyday i would bring a hard-boiled egg for my recess meal and a small water-bottle of ribena which was home-mixed. it was only in pri 3 that there was allowance of 20c. bring the hard-boiled egg had now became optional. in its place, sometime would buy packet nasi lemak which only cost 10c or brought from home butter-jam sandwiches. the ribena remained but in bigger covered tupper cup which doubled up as container to bring back the free milk distribution.

Last edited:

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncles will tell old stories of those ice-balls which the vendor sells using crushed ice and making it into a ball with red beans inside. He will cover the ball with coloured liquid sugar.

Also the rojak seller that sells turnip slices and use the thick black molasses to spread over, sometimes with chilly and then with ground peanuts.

Sometimes my uncles would go hunting in Malaysia and bring home fruit bats to cook with curry and the usual wild boar meat.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when was in pri 1 & 2, everyday i would bring a hard-boiled egg for my recess meal and a small water-bottle of ribena which was home-mixed. it was only in pri 3 that there was allowance of 20c. bring the hard-boiled egg had now became optional. in its place, sometime would buy packet nasi lemak which only cost 10c or brought from home butter-jam sandwiches. the ribena remained but in bigger covered tupper cup which doubled up as container to bring back the free milk distribution.

When Pr. 1, I started with lunchbox of kaya-butter sandwich and tumbler of Ribena. The school also supplied triangle-pack milk (must pay to order but cheap, my mom paid). I was also taking school bus to and fro. So I had no pocket money at all. A few weeks later, I got sick and tired of sandwich and Ribena and wanted to eat in the tuckshop. My mom gave me pocket money 50c per day. My school got two big tuckshops with almost 20 stalls to choose from. All cheap and delicious.

When Pr. 2, I came to know this Malay classmate whose parents were hawkers. He always brought his own nasi lemak or nasi sayur or kueh lapis or goreng-goreng pack. One day, he let me tried. Heavenly, classic kampung fragrance and taste. The tuckshop Malay stalls couldn't fight that. So sometimes when I felt like it, after school, I'd tell him to ask his parents to give him one more pack for me tomorrow, I'd pay for his drink and fruit at the tuckshop. Done deal!

He didn't complete PSLE though. He dropped out to help his parents by Pr. 4 or 5 until NS. After NS, he took over the stall with his sister and made the Kallang Bahru stall one of the best in Singapore for mee soto, mee rebus and satay. Sadly, no more nasi lemak, don't know why. In later years, another Malay family took over the stall and we lost touch as I was abroad too. The stallholders taking over are still here today, selling the same fare. Not that good, but passable.

Last edited:

youth123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was sent to Beatty Pr. Sch. English wing (there was a Chinese wing too). When buying textbooks, I got the shock of my life, 12 English textbooks for Pr. 1. Basically every chapter was a short story followed by fill-in-the-blank and MCQ comprehension exercises. There were regular spelling, dictation (memory), diction (oral) and composition exercises and tests conducted by the teacher too. Another 12 for Pr. 2, by then no longer shocked since used to it already. At Pr. 3 it was reduced to 2 thick textbooks - Oxford Vocabulary and Oxford Grammar. Drilling on what's noun, verb, adverb, various tenses and inflections of words etc.

The class would split for 2nd Language. Malay and Tamil classes were conducted in the English wing and Chinese in the Chinese wing. My goodness, it was really Chinese wing with Chinese teacher. We had to learn every character in 4 versions, Traditional, Simplified, Zhuyin Fuhao and Hanyu Pinyin. Normal exercises could be written in ballpoint but we had to use brush and inkstone too for calligraphy lessons. Nothing like adult professional calligrapher's set, just a small brush-tipped bamboo pen slightly longer than a ballpoint pen and a small inkstone in a circular shallow casing like comestic powder or medical rub casing.

I think after my time, Traditional Chinese, Zhuyin Fuhao and brush calligraphy had since been removed from the syllabus.

Hi Ramseth, I recently found a site about the Beatty (Integrated) Primary School near Lavender Road. http://timesofmylife.wordpress.com/2007/02/page/2/