• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Questions to ask your PAP MP

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Gender bias hindering brother’s job search​

Apr 19, 2023

Recently, my elder brother applied to be a bus attendant at a private school bus transport company. The job basically entails ensuring the safety of the children on board by making sure they stay seated and fasten their seatbelts, and guiding them when they board and alight from the bus.
To his surprise, he was told by the company that only women were eligible for the job. The reason given was that parents were more comfortable with women interacting with their children.
My brother also responded to an advertisement for staff in a doctor’s clinic, and was told female applicants were preferred. The same happened when he responded to an ad for bookshop assistants.
Such gender discrimination in hiring should not be allowed. Job-seekers should be assessed solely on their level of competence to do the job.

Teo Kok Seah

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Average Singaporean should have a decent chance of owning a car​

Apr 25, 2023

In the light of record-high certificate of entitlement prices (Soaring COE prices: What’s driving the insanity and when will it end?, April 24), I wonder if we are allocating a scarce resource efficiently. Even small cars are now beyond the reach of the average Singaporean.
Moreover, the high COE costs would have a trickle-down effect and be passed on in other ways such as taxi fares, the cost of rental cars and other forms of transportation, and business costs. This would contribute to the financial woes of Singaporeans.
I know of one resident in my estate who owns nine cars. The rich will continue buying more cars and leave them idle at home.
Is that the best use of a scarce resource? These resources could be put to better use by those who really need them, such as those who have to ferry children or the disabled.
There have been calls for measures to curb ownership of cars beyond the first car by making those with multiple cars pay more. These are worth considering, to come up with a system that can address the problem of average Singaporeans getting priced out of the market and the inflationary pressures from runaway COE prices.
The average Singaporean should have a decent chance of owning a car. I urge the Government to do something fast about the current COE system.

Charlie Tan

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Selling of delivery riders’ accounts can adversely impact industry​

May 23, 2023

It was reported recently that some food delivery rider accounts were put up for sale on Carousell, potentially allowing unregistered people to work illegally.
I have had several encounters with delivery riders whom I suspect were not the registered riders.
I give detailed instructions on locating my unit as it is in a new block.
I notice that some riders will call me from a number that is not the registered one, although this could be due to the registered riders holding new or additional numbers.
But, on a few occasions, when they delivered the food to the wrong unit and I reached out to the company with the phone number they called from, either the persons were uncontactable or the numbers were not registered.
I have also spoken to some to ask about my delivery and they have admitted they were not the registered riders. A few even asked for cash payment.
The concerns are not just over the practice of illegal outsourcing, but also poor customer service that can affect the reputation and earnings of the hardworking majority of delivery riders who deserve appreciation and respect.

One other area of concern is the sharing of customers’ personal data with a third party outside the organisation.
The information could be sold to scammers.
Are food delivery companies liable for any breaches of the Personal Data Protection Act if their riders sell or outsource their accounts, with access to customer information given to other parties?

Humphries Warren Sheldon

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PAP town councils to raise service and conservancy charges from July 1​

yaohui-pixrain-4460_2.jpg

The town councils have been facing greater cost pressures due to higher energy prices, maintenance and manpower costs. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
ang_qing_0.png

Ang Qing

June 1, 2023

SINGAPORE - Service and conservancy charges (S&CC) will be raised twice over the next two years for Housing Board residents, shops, offices, markets and food stalls under PAP town councils due to rising costs.
The first increase, which takes effect from July 1, will have monthly fees rising by between $0.70 and $7.90 for HDB flats. Commercial property owners and tenants will also see an increase ranging from $0.01 to $0.40 per sq m. Market and food stalls will have their fees hiked between $2.20 and $31.50.
The next hike will come into effect on July 1, 2024, and will have fees for HDB residents raised between $1 to $9.10. Commercial property owners and tenants will see an increase ranging from $0.02 to $0.41 per sq m. The increase for market and food stalls will be between $2.20 and $36.40.
Announcing this on Thursday, the Marine Parade Town Council (MPTC) said the fee hikes are smaller than they would have been, because PAP town councils are receiving special funding support from the Government to cushion the impact of rising maintenance costs.
If not for this funding, S&CC increases required originally ranged between $3 and $21.90 per month for HDB residents, depending on the property type, said MPTC in a statement.
The town councils have been facing greater cost pressures due to higher energy prices, maintenance and manpower costs, said MPTC, citing high tender rates for cleaning, pest control and landscaping services.
It added that the fee hikes will allow town councils to maintain sufficient funds over the next five years for estate maintenance and upgrading.

Coordinating chairman for PAP town councils Lim Biow Chuan said most PAP Town Councils had expected to run a deficit for the financial year from 2023 to 2024 if S&CC rates remain unchanged.
Mr Lim, whose Mountbatten constituency comes under MPTC, added that this would mean the town councils would have to tap on accumulated surpluses from recent years, which would otherwise be used for topping up their sinking funds - used for longer term maintenance works.
“While the special funding support from Government will cushion the impact on residents, we will continue to focus on improving cost savings and productivity wherever possible, and keep up contributions to the sinking fund and lift replacement fund,” he said.
The Straits Times had reported in April that town councils have been facing a sharp increase in costs. For instance, energy prices have risen by 23 per cent between 2018 and 2023.
S&CC rates will differ between towns depending on the age and profile of estates, residents’ needs and operating expenditures. The fees pay for cleaning, landscaping, refuse collection, pest control and maintenance of mechanical and electrical fixtures such as lifts and lights.
Residents will be notified of the new rates by their town councils, said MPTC.
S&CC fees were last raised in June 2018, with the hike of between $1 and $17 per month for HDB residents phased over two years.
Most town councils are run by PAP except for those in the constituencies of Sengkang, Aljunied and Hougang, which are under the Workers’ Party (WP).
The Straits Times has asked the WP about whether their town councils will hike their S&CC fees.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Give some respite from North-South Corridor works on weekend nights​

June 1, 2023

Construction on the North-South Corridor continues to be a nuisance that residents in the Novena area, like me, have had to endure (North-South Corridor: 3 key gripes from residents and how LTA is dealing with them, Jan 25).
The official statements from the Land Transport Authority do not reflect the reality of what is happening on the ground as many times, heavy construction work goes on through the night on weekdays as well as weekends.
The only respite we look forward to is the weekend nights when, by law, no construction activity is permitted from 10pm on Saturday until 7am on Monday morning.
I wish to draw attention to a specific construction site along Thomson Road beside Goldhill Shopping Centre which has flouted this requirement consistently every weekend.
We have lodged repeated complaints with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and National Environment Agency (NEA), all to no avail. All we get is a generic response that they will monitor the situation, with no enforcement action taken.
What enforcement measures will LTA and NEA take to ensure that residents can at least be given two peaceful nights of sleep over the weekend and not have to suffer incessant construction noise disturbance?

Daniel Tan Yang Sheng (Dr)

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Sad to see rise in number of KTV lounges and pubs in Joo Chiat​

June 6, 2023

I refer to the commentary “A revitalised and gentrified Joo Chiat must not forget its roots” (June 4).
I have lived in Joo Chiat for more than 17 years. I agree with the writer on not forgetting Joo Chiat’s roots.
But he seems to suggest that the fear in the mid-2000s of Joo Chiat “turning into an unofficial red-light district and descending into squalor” is a thing of the past. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Recently, I have seen an increase in the number of KTV lounges bars and pubs operating along Joo Chiat Road. These establishments are anything but family-oriented entertainment venues.
While Joo Chiat has had its fair share of sleaze in the past, the area is now a mainly residential area undergoing gentrification, with a focus on family and heritage.
In fact, the National Heritage Board designated Joo Chiat as Singapore’s first Heritage Town in 2011. Ask any expat or tourist what they know about Joo Chiat, and they would probably say it is the heart of the Peranakans in Singapore.
It is sad to see Joo Chiat, again, in danger of turning into another Geylang. I grew up in the area and saw how it became less family-friendly over the years.

Last Sunday, I counted 11 KTV bars, lounges and pubs along the stretch of Joo Chiat Road, bounded by Joo Chiat Place and Koon Seng Road.
I wonder what the urban development plans for Joo Chiat are, and how these entertainment establishments fit in this Heritage Town.

Lim Wei Siong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Spare a thought for the elderly on tray return rule​

June 6, 2023

I read with dismay that an 80-year-old man was one of the first people issued with a warning ticket for not returning his tray after a meal at a hawker centre (At least one written warning issued on first day of stricter enforcement to return trays, June 2).
By inference, when caught the next time, he will be fined.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) has said that “those able to bring the trays and food to the table on their own should likewise be able to return their trays and used crockery”.
What NEA failed to consider is that the elderly would usually sit nearest to the stall they patronise because of their difficulty in balancing a laden tray.
In fact, I have also often seen stallholders take food orders to elderly customers.
Instead of punishing seniors who may have difficulty making their way to a tray return station that could be several metres away, we should take their physical condition into consideration and help them.
Isn’t this the inclusive, kind society we want to encourage?

Margaret Chong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Digitalisation push causing seniors to be left out of CC events​

June 22, 2023

Several events organised by Hwi Yoh Community Centre (CC), such as the upcoming Fruits Fiesta on July 9, require scanning a QR code for registration and payment.
When my mother, a 77-year-old socially active senior, asked whether she could register directly with the CC without using the QR code, the answer was a firm no and that she should ask her own children for help.
While I am willing and able to help my mother with the registration, this digital process inconveniences seniors, especially those who are childless or not living with their children.
The QR code registration is a complicated process for many seniors who are not digitally savvy – they may not know how to scan the QR code, log in using their Singpass account at the directed website, and input credit card details for payment.
My mother said that due to the compulsory digital registration, many of her elderly friends exclude themselves from CC activities because they do not want to trouble their children over such trivial tasks.
The unintended social exclusion of these seniors goes against current policy emphasis on ageing-in-place and social connectedness among them.
The push for digitalisation is necessary to ensure Singapore meets its Smart Nation objectives, but it should not come at a cost to senior citizens’ independence and dignity. Some seniors may not want or are unable to bridge the digital knowledge and skill gaps.

A more balanced approach is needed to ensure that non-tech-savvy seniors are not left behind. Alternative non-digital registration methods must be made available to allow them to join in community activities without overcoming an avoidable digital hurdle.

Lim Aik Meng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Give residents a break from construction noise​

June 23, 2023

The Housing Board has allowed contractors of Build-To-Order projects to carry out works even on Sundays and public holidays.

I understand that this is to speed up the completion of BTO projects, and residents living nearby have been informed that only “quieter works” will be done. But the incessant machinery noise, for example from tower cranes, every day, beginning at 8am and occasionally ending at 10.30pm, affects residents’ mental health.

Residents should get a break from the noise on Sundays and public holidays as we have already put up with the extended working hours on the other days of the week.

Tan Shao Yi

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Are seniors at risk of losing independence amid digitalisation push?​

JUN 27, 2023

The letter, “Digitalisation push causing seniors to be left out of CC events” (June 22), highlights the frustrations of many elderly people in a digitally demanding society.
The letter highlighted how QR code registration for a community centre event is complicated for many seniors. Such digital requirements would be even more challenging for those with early onset dementia or mild cognitive impairment.
A news article, “Asian dementia on the rise in S’pore” (June 18), reported that dementia can affect executive function, which involves planning, completing tasks independently, problem-solving, and making decisions. Affected seniors would find it problematic if day-to-day activities were to be transferred onto digital platforms.
And if more activities moved to the digital platform, would this lead in the future to seniors being misdiagnosed as having early onset dementia when it could be that they are just not digitally competent?
The article also mentioned that dementia in the Asian context affects one’s judgment about what is right and wrong, and had caused many in Asia to become victims of financial fraud. This is a matter of concern.
As one ages, one may experience some form of mental slowness or some form of cognitive impairment, and become less alert. However, performing tasks through digital means requires one to be very alert and precise to tap the right key.
How can policymakers make things simple for seniors instead of adding more layers to hinder them from being independent?

There are not going to be enough dependable young people to help the elderly to deal with different passwords to access different services, or to register for all sorts of day-to-day activities.

Grace Chua Siew Hwee

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Time to do more to rein in reckless cyclists​

JL120copy.jpg

After finishing lunch at East Coast Lagoon Food Village on Sunday, Ms Jodi Lai and her family made their way home, walking first towards the Singapore Wake Park. But what was a leisurely stroll on a path used by both cyclists and pedestrians ended terribly when a fast-moving bicycle crashed on them photo: Jodi Lai/Facebook

July 3, 2023

I refer to the article “Mum and toddler hurt after cyclist crashes into them at East Coast Park” (June 29). I have written about reckless cyclists and the near-collisions I witnessed there (Accident waiting to happen at East Coast Park, Feb 24, 2021).
The recent accident at East Coast Park is probably only the tip of the iceberg, with countless other incidents going unreported.
The family’s description of what happened is consistent with what I have observed of similar incidents, where some cyclists insist on treating shared paths as their own little race track.
The recent accident has highlighted two issues.
First, there is a lack of accountability on the part of the cyclist. Due to difficulties in licensing and registering bicycles, cyclists are able to get away with bad behaviour and dangerous actions without facing any consequences.
This incident is akin to a hit-and-run accident. In this case, the cyclist hurt two people and gave the family two phone numbers, but is uncontactable.
I would suggest to anyone involved in such incidents to establish the cyclist’s identity against his identity documents, or to at least take photos of the cyclist and bicycle to aid police investigations. This is what motorists would do in a traffic accident.

The second issue is safety. I would suggest that bicycle speed-limit signs be displayed prominently in areas where cyclists share the path with pedestrians. Cycling is allowed on footpaths up to a maximum speed of 10kmh. Although it is hard to gauge a cyclist’s speed, such signs would at least serve as a reference point for pedestrians to confront cyclists who appear to be riding too fast.
I have also often seen cyclists on the road going way too fast for their own good, darting recklessly in between vehicles. Bicycles are smaller, vulnerable and often not so easily visible to motorists, so cyclists’ speed limits should be lowered to safeguard themselves and motorists.
The current measures in place regulating cyclists seem grossly inadequate. It is high time the authorities took more definitive measures.
Kevin Sng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

MOH to work on improving accessibility to polyclinic appointments: Janil​

IMG3997_0.JPG

Senior Minister of State for Health Janil Puthucheary emphasised that there has to be a balance between online bookings and walk-in slots. PHOTO: ST FILE
Lee Li Ying

July 4, 2023

SINGAPORE - The Ministry of Health (MOH) will work on optimising polyclinic appointment bookings for those doing so online and walking in, to address the difficulties faced by less technologically savvy seniors in making online bookings.
This comes after MPs again raised these concerns in Parliament, after doing so in May.
On Tuesday, Mr Liang Eng Hwa (Bukit Panjang) said seniors had given feedback that it was “almost impossible” to make an online booking, while Associate Professor Jamus Lim (Sengkang GRC) said residents in his ward had “significant difficulties” with online appointments.
Dr Tan Wu Meng (Jurong GRC) also filed parliamentary questions on what safeguards exist to ensure access for seniors aged 65 years and above who cannot go online to book appointments or find that such slots are fully booked.
In laying out the reasons for the issue, Senior Minister of State for Health Janil Puthucheary said that the healthcare system is facing increasing demand as people age, while the completion of new polyclinics had been delayed because of the pandemic.
As a result, some polyclinics have greater demand and appointments are less easily available, said Dr Janil.

Pending the development of new polyclinics, short term measures have been put in place, he added.

“The polyclinics will set aside some slots for walk-in patients with urgent medical needs, as well as for elderly patients, particularly those who are frail and have mobility issues. To do so, non-urgent cases may be given an appointment for another day or advised to seek treatment at a nearby Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS) GP clinic,” Dr Janil said.
“Polyclinics will also try to leverage telemedicine as much as possible, and contract private GPs to help deliver the service.”
Ms He Ting Ru (Sengkang GRC) asked whether it was possible to release polyclinic next-day appointment slots in a few fixed tranches rather than a single release at 10pm.

Responding to Ms He, Dr Janil said that some polyclinics already adopt such a practice. “However, this does not solve the issue of capacity constraint and in fact may frustrate patients more if they are repeatedly unable to book appointments,” he said.
Leader of the Opposition Pritam Singh raised the possibility of increasing the number of walk-in slots at polyclinics.
In response, Dr Janil said that while that was possible, it does not address the heart of the issue, which is the overall capacity available at the polyclinic. He acknowledged that there was frustration with the online system for seniors, but others are able to use it.
“As a result, the availability of the resources and the capacity for the services at the polyclinic are better matched to those patients. It means that clinical notes are available ahead of time, preparations can be made for investigations and tests.”
He emphasised that there has to be a balance between online bookings and walk-in slots.
“If we went to a fully walk-in system, that would have an implication on the ability for the care teams to deliver the service that they are used to delivering. If we went to a fully online system, indeed, the frustrations that members in this house have highlighted will become worse.”

Dr Janil added that the best way to determine the balance is left to the operational teams running the polyclinic to account for their capacity, the services they deliver, and the demographics of the population, which can vary over time.
“We’ll continue to work together with cluster management and operational teams that run the polyclinics to see how we can optimise the correct balance of online appointments, appointments made at an earlier time, same-day appointments and walk-ins,” said Dr Janil.
In response to requests for information from two MPs, Dr Janil said MOH did not have the data sought.
Dr Tan had asked for monthly data showing how fast online booking slots are fully reserved, and how many patients logged into the polyclinic online appointment booking system the night before a consultation date but did not proceed to book one.
Mr Singh had asked for the percentage of walk-in slots set aside and the number of complaints from those unable to book appointments online, but Dr Janil said such data was not available.
To Prof Lim’s query if more of those who are booking online could be channelled to telemedicine options, Dr Janil responded that MOH is exploring that option.
However, he noted that professional teams would need to make the call on which patients would require an in-person appointment and which can be seen online.
“I think that’s something for a clinical judgement rather than a policy position, but we would support the teams so that we can optimise the use of telemedicine and make sure that we improve the capacity available at the polyclinics,” added Dr Janil.
Dr Tan suggested having a hotline that residents could call in for bookings, and Dr Janil said MOH will continue to explore such suggestions so that services available at polyclinics are more accessible and user friendly.
Dr Yip Hon Weng (Yio Chu Kang SMC) raised the possibility of training active ageing centre staff to help seniors book polyclinic appointments. In reply, Dr Janil said MOH will be happy to explore how it can leverage on resources to be able to help people have better access and utilisation of services.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Too many heavy vehicles speeding along expressways​

July 14, 2023

Once again there has been a fatal accident involving a commercial vehicle (Man dies in accident in Upper Thomson Road; lorry driver arrested for careless driving, July 7).
I often drive along the East Coast Parkway (ECP) early in the morning and also along the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) during the day, and I see many lorries and huge container trucks going beyond the speed limit.
On the AYE and the West Coast Highway, I have seen them using the rightmost lane of the expressways, overtaking other vehicles at speeds above 90kmh.
The consequences of an accident involving a speeding car compared with one with a fully laden lorry or container truck are different.
The damage caused by a vehicle with a high mass travelling at a high speed would be greater, with smaller vehicles involved in the crash likely ending up with the worst damage.
On my early morning drives along the ECP, I see lorries full of workers going at top speed, as the drivers probably think there is little chance of getting caught at that time of the day.
Carrying passengers in the back of open lorries is not the safest practice, and these lorries going at 90kmh or more certainly increase the chances of a bad outcome.

For many drivers of these commercial vehicles, the speed limit shown on the back of their vehicles seems to be more of a suggestion than a rule.

Howard Wan

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Better protection on job security for workers at age 63​

August 12, 2023

I refer to the report on Senior Minister of State for Manpower Koh Poh Koon’s response to a query by Sembawang GRC MP Vikram Nair on the rationale for workers who lose their retrenchment benefits entitlement to be entitled only to Employment Assistance Payment (EAP) when they reach 63 (Employment Assistance Payment should not be compared to retrenchment benefits, Aug 3).
I was previously a senior legal officer with a statutory board that retired me when I reached the statutory retirement age of 63 without offering me the option of re-employment on contract under the Retirement and Re-employment Act 1993.
I was shocked by this decision after working in the organisation for more than 18 years, as I had no reason to believe that I was not eligible to be offered re-employment on contract under the Act. No specific reasons were given, except that no suitable position could be found for me in the organisation, and the ones offered to me were not compatible with my experience and qualifications.
As I was already a senior legal officer at the top end of my pay scale, the EAP cap of $14,750 offered to me, presumably to assist me in finding a new job, is small comfort as my monthly take-home pay was higher.
At 63, it would be difficult for me to secure suitable employment commensurate with my experience and qualifications. I would have been better off being a unionised member under a collective agreement, as the employer would have to compensate me with retrenchment benefits of one month’s pay for every year of service, with a cap. Although I was a general branch member of my union, it could not assist me, nor did it succeed in its appeal to the senior management on my behalf.
Under the Act, I would have been entitled to work until 68 years if the employer had offered me re-employment under contract. Although there is a statutory recourse under the Act against the employer, I am not confident if any appeal would succeed.
I support the call for more protection for workers like me, as there is no job security when the employee reaches the statutory retirement age. The consequence of my retirement is no different from an employee being retrenched or having his services terminated.

Winston Chew Choon Teck

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Seniors living with families disadvantaged during means testing for nursing home subsidies​

SEP 20, 2023

My mum sold her three-room flat years ago to move into my eldest sister’s house to help look after my sister’s children.
Now, my mum has advanced dementia and my sister cannot look after her any more because she herself was recently diagnosed with cancer. She asked a social worker to help admit my mum to a nursing home. To our dismay, my mum was entitled to only 20 per cent subsidy.
The means test took into account the incomes of everyone in the household, including those of my sister’s two children who have just started to work. On the flip side, many of my friends’ parents who live in their own homes can get higher subsidies because there is no income in the household.
Such an approach to determining the amount of subsidy discourages old folk from living with their families. The higher bill is also taxing on young people’s income. After years of looking after her grandchildren, my mother has now become a burden to them.
In cases where a senior has moved into her family’s home, the authorities should look at just the senior’s individual assets to assess how much subsidy that person is entitled to, rather than the incomes of the people living with that person. My mum has no house and no savings.
It is really not easy to look after an advanced-stage dementia patient. I was also shocked to hear that my sister has to wait one or two years before my mum can be admitted to a nursing home.

Shirley Tay Sock Kim

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Public transport fare hikes a blow to many​

SEP 23, 2023

The recent announcement to increase the public transport fares by up to 11 cents in December will not be taken kindly (Bus, train fares to rise by up to 11 cents for adults; new $96 concession pass for low-wage workers, Sept 19).
Fares rose by 2.9 per cent in 2022, and this year’s increase is the steepest since the hike in 2019.
With the recent rise in the goods and services tax and price increases due to inflation, people are scrimping in all possible ways. Many are struggling to make ends meet and have been scaling back from eating out or buying expensive items.
They spend only on necessities like food, groceries, medicine, utilities and transport. And public transport is the most affordable way for many to get to work and for outings with the family.
It was reported that the fare hike was due mainly to a rise in energy prices in 2022, as well as higher inflation and wages.
It would also be helpful if the transport operators can reveal the breakdown of their expenses. Why the rush to increase fares at such substantial rates?

Donny Ho Boon Tiong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: More help needed for lower-income families affected by rising prices​

SEP 27, 2023

I understand that this year’s 7 per cent fare hike for bus and train rides is necessary to reflect the rising operating costs incurred by the providers of such essential public services.
Likewise, Singapore Post’s increase of 20 cents to mail a basic letter with effect from Oct 9 is necessary to recover rising costs.
On Jan 1, 2024, the goods and services tax (GST) will increase by 1 percentage point to 9 per cent, primarily to defray ballooning healthcare expenditure.
Singaporeans generally accept and trust that the Government will always act fairly in their best interests.
However, as most Singaporeans continue to struggle and cope with the higher cost of living, one wonders if the rising prices of goods and services might trap us in a vicious circle of unending price increases.
The transport fare and GST increases are likely to trickle down into higher operating costs for all businesses, including hawkers and coffee shop operators, who will then be compelled to pass on the incremental costs by raising their prices to remain profitable and survive.
When will this increasing price spiral end?

It is a sad truth that inflation unfairly hits the low-income families hardest, forcing them to endure much hardship and to make many sacrifices.
Meanwhile, the wealthy are probably less affected by inflation and perhaps even benefit from value appreciation of their properties and assets, resulting in a widening wealth gap and greater social inequality.
Although the Government has been rolling out support measures to help low-income families, we should be mindful that they are still most vulnerable, especially the children who might be deprived of some development opportunities as these families scrimp to stay afloat.
Life can become challenging and stressful in an inflationary environment. With reduced real income and purchasing power, some low-income families are prone to becoming dysfunctional, resulting in domestic conflict and disharmony.
In this context, there is the real danger that the children will fall further behind those from wealthy families.
Hopefully, our policy and decision makers, including political leaders, will bear in mind the struggles of those most adversely impacted by high inflation and find more ways to help them.

Ang Ah Lay

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

New Tengah residents lament lack of public transport options, long walk to nearest bus stops​

sv-tengah-091023.jpg

HDB said the keys for about 295, or 12.6 per cent, of the 2,333 units in Plantation Acres and Plantation Grange have been collected as at Sept 26. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
Esther Loi

Oct 10, 2023

SINGAPORE - Administrative assistant Chan Si Hui has had no choice but to put off moving into her new flat in Tengah by almost four months, because of the town’s limited public transport options right now.
Despite collecting the keys to her Plantation Grange flat on Aug 30, Ms Chan, 39, is renting another flat elsewhere with her elderly parents. She plans to move in only when a bus stop along Tengah Boulevard, which is closer to her flat, is slated to open in December.
As Ms Chan’s parents, both 75, will be living with her, Ms Chan was worried that the walk to the nearest bus stop – now 15 minutes away by foot – would be too arduous for them.
They would have to get around ongoing work on the Jurong Region MRT line to reach this bus stop at Block 111 in Plantation Acres. There, service 992 – one of two bus routes serving the first two Tengah precincts, Plantation Grange and Plantation Acres – takes residents to Bukit Batok MRT station and bus interchange.
Ms Chan is among dozens of residents of the new “forest” town who are lamenting the inaccessibility of public transport near their new homes. She was behind a survey, done between Sept 7 and Sept 17, that gathered feedback from her estate’s residents on the bus services.
The findings of the survey, which polled 59 residents, were submitted to Hong Kah North MP Amy Khor, as well as the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and the Housing Board. Among other things, it found that some wanted a direct bus service to Jurong East.
In response to queries from The Straits Times, Dr Khor, who is also Senior Minister of State for Transport, said some infrastructural work, as well as accessibility in Tengah, might be “out of sync for a short while”.

This is because HDB has been handing out keys progressively for completed blocks, instead of waiting for the completion of the entire precinct, owing to construction delays.
HDB told ST that the keys for about 295, or 12.6 per cent, of the 2,333 units in Plantation Acres and Plantation Grange have been collected as at Sept 26.
Dr Khor added: “As the roads in the area are also not completely done up and open, some of the bus stops... in the area will also be completed and open in stages to further improve accessibility.”

With the start of bus service 992 on Sept 24, a temporary shuttle bus service that previously connected Plantation Acres residents to Bukit Batok stopped on Sept 30.
Like Ms Chan, Mr Ken Quek, who is unemployed, noted that it takes him up to 15 minutes to walk from his flat at Block 133C Plantation Grange to the nearest bus stop.
He said he has to walk along Tengah Boulevard and Tengah Drive, instead of taking a direct route through the blocks.
Other residents lamented the lack of public transport options in the area as well.
Mr Chan Yuke Man, who moves into Plantation Grange at the end of December, said he would have to make two bus transfers to take his daughter to St Anthony’s Primary School in Bukit Gombak. The 58-year-old said they could walk to the school within that time.

Responding to ST’s queries, LTA said it plans to improve public transport connectivity for Tengah residents to other areas, including Jurong East, with the completion of more housing developments in the area. More details will be made public in the coming months, it said.
Meanwhile, HDB said it was aware of residents’ concerns but sought their understanding that it would take some time to build up amenities and infrastructure within the new Tengah town, unlike in most other Build-To-Order developments, which are in existing HDB towns.
It added that it has instructed contractors not to park along the roads or block the entrances and exits of housing developments, and is working with agencies to ensure the orderly and safe flow of construction vehicles.
LTA and HDB added that they were working together to maintain a safe walking path for residents travelling to and from the nearest bus stops. Bus service 993, which serves another bus stop farther away along Bukit Batok West Avenue 8, operates to and from Jurong East interchange.
Before the Plantation Plaza Neighbourhood Centre starts operations from the second quarter of 2024, HDB said it would bring in temporary provisions such as vending machines offering hot food at the void deck of Block 111A in Plantation Acres. It will also work with a supermarket operator to deploy a mobile grocery truck service in Tengah by November or early December.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Overcharged on bus fares due to card reader errors​

Oct 19, 2023

I refer to the Land Transport Authority’s (LTA) reply highlighting some of the benefits of using the SimplyGo app (View SimplyGo transactions in app and at ticketing machines, Oct 10).
I would like to ask LTA to look at one pain point for commuters – the overcharging of bus fares due to errors involving card readers on buses. I first wrote about this issue in the Forum page in 2013, and, even after a decade, this is still happening.
Often, the card reader does not display the actual stop, but typically one stop before it, and this information is captured when commuters tap their cards as they board the bus.
Until the error is rectified, perhaps after a commuter brings it to the bus captain’s attention, commuters are overcharged without their realising it, unless they check the SimplyGo app later.
This happened to me twice in August and again twice in September.
For the incidents in August, I was able to file my refund claims easily through the SimplyGo app.
For the ones in September, because the app was undergoing maintenance, I had to call TransitLink for a customer service officer to file the claims on my behalf. One of the officers I spoke to made an error, so I had to call again to get the matter resolved. All this was a lot of trouble, through no fault of mine.

LTA should make sure corrective actions are taken to prevent such incidents.

Raju M. Iyer

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Consider using double-deck buses for weekday peak periods​

Oct 24, 2023

I regularly take SMRT bus service 975 from the bus stop opposite Lot 1 shopping mall to work. This service passes by key installations like the Home Team Academy, Tengah Air Base and Sungei Gedong Camp. Many foreign workers also use the service to get to their workplaces and dormitories located in Old Choa Chu Kang Road and beyond.
During morning peak hours, the queues can get very long at the bus stop I use. And it is normal for commuters to have to wait for the next bus, as the bus becomes full quickly.
In all my years taking this service, I have seen only single-deck buses plying this route during weekday peak hours. However, I have noticed double-deckers deployed during the weekend, when there are fewer commuters.
What is the rationale for this? SMRT should consider deploying double-decker buses during weekday peak periods to ease congestion.

Mohanraj Virasamy