• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Poor John doesn't know hoe to play guitar enjoy life

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > ST Forum > Online Story
Over 40, jobless and overlooked

AT TIMES like these, I feel that citizens in my category are being left out - that is, those over 40 years old and armed with only a secondary education. I have definitely lost out to a lot of others.

In the past, such an education level was considered good enough to enter the workforce and start a family.

These days, we have to compete with younger, foreign and cheaper workers.

All these years, those of us who started working after secondary school have not had enough free time to upgrade ourselves. The lucky ones who did were helped by their employers. So, what about those who have not been sent for upgrading by employers and who do not have the means to upgrade on their own?

The Government subsidises those who are working, but what about those who are jobless?

Lower expectations, we are told. There is a limit to what we can lower. There are bills that need to be paid.

There should at least be some fairness when it comes to subsidising skills upgrading programmes.

Employed people, who have an income while still learning, have their upgrading paid for by the Government. The unemployed, however, have to pay for the upgrading themselves, with no job and no income. How does this make sense?

John Cheng

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
AT TIMES like these, I feel that citizens in my category are being left out - that is, those over 40 years old and armed with only a secondary education. I have definitely lost out to a lot of others.

In the past, such an education level was considered good enough to enter the workforce and start a family.

There are loads of billionaires without tertiary qualifications.

EG :

Hart up 91 places despite drop in net worth

4:00AM Friday Mar 13, 2009
By Helen Twose

<!-- Ixt1-->
hart15.jpg

Graeme Hart.

Despite a 12 per cent drop in his estimated wealth, businessman Graeme Hart has climbed 91 places on the Forbes Billionaires list.

With a net worth of around US$4.5 billion ($8.7 billion), New Zealand's richest man now ranks at 110 on the business magazine's list of world billionaires.

Described by Forbes as "the master of the leveraged buyout", the former tow truck driver had cash on hand to buy the Australian arm of United States timber producer Weyerhaeuser for US$250 million last May.

Since 2006, Hart has bought Carter Holt Harvey, SIG Holdings, Alcoa's packaging and consumer division, International Paper's beverage packaging unit and US drink carton maker Blue Ridge Paper Products.
Having refinanced $3.5 billion in debt Hart is said to be on the lookout for further acquisitions to add to his packaging empire.

Joining Hart on the list are billionaire brothers Christopher and Richard Chandler, ranked in 701st place with US$1 billion apiece.

The sons of a beekeeper began their road to riches by investing money from the sale of their mother's Hamilton retail store in Hong Kong real estate.

In the mid-1980s the brothers founded investment firm Sovereign Global in Monaco focusing on deals in emerging markets.

Missing this year is Moscow-based banker Stephen Jennings who last September sold a half share of his Renaissance Capital investment bank for US$500 million, a fraction of its pre-credit crunch worth.

Taranaki born and bred Jennings was once described as the "only foreign oligarch in Russia" and last year ranked at No 1014 with US$1.1 billion.
Jennings caused a stir in the lead-up to election by saying New Zealand was losing its young people to other countries because it was no longer a good place to live.

Copyright ©2009, APN Holdings NZ Limited