• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Offer a $15,000 salary to work in Kuwait, should I take it up?

(o)(o)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just went for an interview for a Civil Project Manager position in a big consultancy company. The HR Manage call up to say the company would like to offer me me the job for $15K/month, plus free accommodation and tax equalization, and 2 return ticket back to Singapore every year. The condition is that I must base in Kuwait for 2 years until the project ends.

My wife don't want to follow, and my kid is still very young, only 3 years old.

I am now working as a civil engineer for a local construction company, earning $7 a month. Plus free handphone and $500 petrol allowance.

Should I take it up the job in Kuwait?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Strike while the iron is hot. Your $7k job may disappear tomorrow.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'd say go! Being prepared to relocate always looks good on a cv. Enjoy the freedom from yr wifey. Test yr limits. Venture and grasp the unknown.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
your wife dun want to follow along, that means you going to PCC a lot unless you keen on trying kuwaiti woman.:biggrin:

Just went for an interview for a Civil Project Manager position in a big consultancy company. The HR Manage call up to say the company would like to offer me me the job for $15K/month, plus free accommodation and tax equalization, and 2 return ticket back to Singapore every year. The condition is that I must base in Kuwait for 2 years until the project ends.

I am now working as a civil engineer for a local construction company, earning $7 a month. Plus free handphone and $500 petrol allowance.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bourgeois like me would tell you to stay in Sinkieland with your wife and child and start a freaking business to exploit Sinkie sheep and make $$. Best of both worlds. :wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take it. International experience is a huge feather in your cap. Plus you will save a lot. Such exposures will make you a better man.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with everyone here. Try to persuade your wife - the international experience will also be good for the kid, though he or she may not remember much of it.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go, go, go....a good spring board to other oil-rich Arab countries after your 2-year stint as a FT in Kuwait! U might also get a princess as a bonus, who knows? Hahahaha...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Many Sinkies complain how life is so much better for FTs.

However, when an opportunity arises to become one, there appears to be a distinct lack of enthusiasm.:rolleyes:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many Sinkies complain how life is so much better for FTs.

However, when an opportunity arises to become one, there appears to be a distinct lack of enthusiasm.:rolleyes:
From S$7000 to S$15,000 a moth,it is not really that impressive.

Old hand middle class can live very comfortably in Singapore,at $7000 a month,and if his wife is also earning,his family is probably in the top 10-20 bracket

It is a fact that tax rate in Singapore is low.
I do not know about Kuwait,but I am sure that it would be very much more expensive

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From S$7000 to S$15,000 a moth,it is not really that impressive.

Old hand middle class can live very comfortably in Singapore,at $7000 a month,and if his wife is also earning,his family is probably in the top 10-20 bracket

It is a fact that tax rate in Singapore is low.
I do not know about Kuwait,but I am sure that it would be very much more expensive

u are right. 15k is not impressive.
its peanuts for them.
after 2 years u back sinki n ur son ask : who the hell are you.

agreed with bro cruxx too.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

That pretty much sums it up doesn't it. Most Sinkies are so comfortable and content with their day to day routines that the opportunity to more than double their take home pay isn't worth the trouble. LKY was right along. Complacency is taken hold like a cancer.

The $8000+ delta over 2 years works out to more than $200,000. If that's not worth a bit of hard work and sacrifice, I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its free accommodation and he can rent his house here. That is quite a lot. Except for food and incidentals, it money for jam. His kid is only 3 and therefore no need to worry about formal schooling. Typically they will be located with other expats who are a better crowd and the standards are high.

In fact the family situation makes it right for the 2 year move. Truly a no brainer.

That pretty much sums it up doesn't it. Most Sinkies are so comfortable and content with their day to day routines that the opportunity to more than double their take home pay isn't worth the trouble. LKY was right along. Complacency is taken hold like a cancer.

The $8000+ delta over 2 years works out to more than $200,000. If that's not worth a bit of hard work and sacrifice, I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is not complacency,Sam,it is you who fail to understand the NEW age Singapore citizens,al the globetrotters.

Since when a world class Spore professional can be happy to leave a family for a mere $200,000 for two years?$200,000 is not enough to buy a run down old 3 room HDB!

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal

wahlaneh...
r u going there to dig up minefield?:eek::confused:
pls think for ur wife n kid ya?

iconchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since when a world class Spore professional can be happy to leave a family for a mere $200,000 for two years?$200,000 is not enough to buy a run down old 3 room HDB![/QUOTE]

You sound like you have a lot of '$200K' lying around in your house.