• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NSF officer Hero is a ex-Malaysian!

american

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even hero we need to import!

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_278696.html

Sep 15, 2008

Hero

NSF officer wins nation's top award for saving a recruit's life

By Jermyn Chow

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
front-jchero.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

PHOTO: JOSEPH NAIR FOR THE STRAITS TIMES
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SECOND-LIEUTENANT Kok Khew Fai was overseeing a grenade-throwing exercise earlier this year when he saw one of the live explosives slip through the hand of a recruit.

It landed just 4m away, and the pair had six seconds before it went off.

So, the platoon commander from the Basic Military Training Centre (BMTC) pushed the recruit to the ground and threw himself over him.

The next three seconds were probably the longest of 2nd LT Kok's life.

'My mind was blank, but I was also worried that the recruit was not protected properly,' he said.

The grenade exploded, and while shrapnel flew over their heads, the pair escaped unscathed.

Yesterday, the 20-year-old 2nd Lt Kok became the first full-time national serviceman (NSF) to receive the nation's top award for courage - the SAF Medal for Distinguished Act.

He enters the rarefied turf - already occupied by six others, all regular servicemen - for saving the life of a recruit under his command.

Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean pinned the medal on 2nd Lt Kok's chest and recounted his act of bravery to 263 officer cadets who graduated from the Singapore Armed Forces Officer Cadet School. Mr Teo called 2nd Lt Kok a 'brave and selfless' officer who 'performed his duty resolutely'. He ' led his men into action, and protected them when in danger'.

The proud parents of the newly minted hero were present at yesterday's ceremony. His father said he was not surprised by his son's selfless act.

'He has been a very responsible, quick-witted and alert boy since he was young,' said shipyard foreman Kok Hon Kuan, 51.

But the Kok clan - which includes two other children - was shocked when they first heard six months ago that 2nd Lt Kok came within a hair of losing his life.

On March 8, he was the safety officer supervising a platoon of 50 recruits from BMTC School 1 during a grenade-throwing drill in Pulau Tekong.

They were throwing grenades from a walled-off platform towards the grenade range. Under 2nd Lt Kok's watch, one recruit armed an explosive. But when he went to throw it, the explosive slipped from his hand and landed on the ground behind them.

After spotting the mishap, 2nd Lt Kok threw himself on top of the recruit to shield him from the blast. The high walls of the grenade-throwing bay ensured that both men were not in the direct line of the explosion. But 2nd Lt Kok was exposed and could have been hit by deflected shrapnel, which could go as far as 25m.

He was stunned - but fleetingly - and the exercise was halted as medical personnel tended to him. 'It was only then that I realised I was so close to being killed,' he said.

Both 2nd Lt Kok and the recruit suffered only minor scrapes.

The grenade-throwing exercise is considered an integral part of the three- month basic military training. 'It's a rite of passage for a soldier,' said BMTC School 1 commanding officer Lieutenant-Colonel Loong Tean Yuan.

He said recruits are taught how to throw a grenade and how to react if it lands near them. Only those who are deemed medically and mentally fit can throw grenades. Those with sweaty palms wear specially designed gloves to throw the grenade, he added.

This is only the sixth accident involving a grenade in the 41-year history of national service. One person died in 1970 when a live grenade exploded in his hands.

In two months, 2nd Lt Kok will complete his full-time national service and go on to study aerospace engineering at Nanyang Technological University.

The Malaysia-born officer - he got his Singapore citizenship in May last year - still has not got used to his status as a hero. 'I'm not a hero, I did what I had to do to keep him safe. Everyone else would have done the same thing,' he said.

[email protected]

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
lots of singaporeans are ex-malaysians what.

courageous! but hopefully he dun lose the commander spirit the longer he stay in the saf and get disullusioned.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
wasted he not killed. We dont need such retarded genes to spolie sg gene pool. Parents must belong to Butcher lineage like Lee Bee War. Look at the retarded family below. SHOCKED SHOCKED SHOCKED. They fully deserved it if their son get killed.

<<
But the Kok clan - which includes two other children - was shocked when they first heard six months ago that 2nd Lt Kok came within a hair of losing his life.
>>

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
even if he did not pushed the recruit away,i do not think they will be hurt.
if he was the safety officer or the officer in-charge,he should be charged for maybe not doing his job properly.
anyway,this was part of his duty that day,it is part of his job.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no problems accepting this foreigner into sg. Firstly, he is doing NS like a true-blooded sinkee. Now he shows more courage that a sinkee occifer by saving a life. What more do you want.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans as foot-soldiers - foreigners as command positions !
Lets analyse their new idealogy !

Updated: 10th September 2008, 2136 hrs
More foreigners graduate from S'pore's top formal military education

The Crest, logo of Singapore Command and Staff College

SCSC%20logo.gif

More nationalities have passed through Singapore's highest level of formal military education, known as the Command and Staff Course.

For the first time, a German officer and a female from Brunei are among the graduands.

This year's batch saw 125 officers, of whom fourteen came from countries like Australia, Brunei, China, New Zealand and the United States.

Completing the nine-month course was not easy for Germany's Lieutenant-Colonel Illner Wolfgang Paul.

"When I came over, I had a poor European view about Asia. I got a lot of experiences and different sides of views here. The most challenging thing was writing the assignments which we had to write in English. I got used to writing military orders which are normally sharp and short. But writing in epic form and over 25 pages was quite challenging because English is not my mother tongue."

The course prepares officers for senior command and staff appointments in the SAF.

Foreign participation allows officers from the Singapore Armed Forces to forge and strengthen professional and personal ties with their counterparts from other countries.

To date, 155 international officers from 23 countries have completed the course.

jw5

Loyal
I have no problems accepting this foreigner into sg. Firstly, he is doing NS like a true-blooded sinkee. Now he shows more courage that a sinkee occifer by saving a life. What more do you want.
Agree.
In fact, he deserves to be a Singaporean more than some Singaporeans.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe he a hero, but in my eye he was incompetent. If he had been doing his job, the stupid recruit would not had screw up and the accident would not had happen.

Maybe that why he is a BMTC instructor, everybody know those CMI occificers are posted to school while the better ones posted to combat units.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
ya lor. If he is my PC , during war I will shoot him first as he is just a malaysian spy. Stupid singaporeans kenna con by him go ga ga over his heroism.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please google ( Medal of Honour ) to compare the merits of personal courage and self sacrifice required to earn it as to the the Medal for Distinguished Act by the SAF.

Although I hesitate to belittle his instinct to cover the recruit's body with his own (I am in favour of more transparency in the gathering of corroborative facts to warrant the bestowing of the award), the fact is if this award is the highest possible, then what are they going to do to honour a soldier who throw himself or herself on a grenade to smother it to protect their comrades' lives (in war veteran parlance, it is called "eating the grenade") or some other acts of self sacrifice.
I can't help it. But to me it just another attempt by an artificial entity to present themselves to the world as something authentic with substance. As if having 45 years old 3-star generals is not enough.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is obviously a morale campaign doctrine !

If I could go back time !
I could slap and wack every officers and sergeants good and proper for yakking
and bitching commands confusing the majority !

The run is already minimise without proper dry run ! Budget constrant or what or re-channelling the arms to Burma's despots ?

Yet the stupid bitching officers and sergeants can bark like a bitch who lost her head!

We know what to do you stupid Bitch, saying once is enough !

Instead of giving us more range and grenade loobing ! They choose to practise their bitching and barking !

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
wtf obviously NS has really damaged the officer brain...doesn't he know the first thing to do is this circumstance is to cover your own ass and take cover...

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe he a hero, but in my eye he was incompetent. If he had been doing his job, the stupid recruit would not had screw up and the accident would not had happen.

Maybe that why he is a BMTC instructor, everybody know those CMI occificers are posted to school while the better ones posted to combat units.

Very true, if he really got liao, he won't be in BMT. And usually 2LT don't finish NS with 1 chocolate bar but 2. Makes me wonder what the hell was he thinking or not thinking at that time. Usually, these type of orcificers will never survive in combat units.

Overall, its a media excercise for the SAF and what better way to showcase some sort of courageous act during POP.