• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Not handsome vs Bo Tat Chek

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which of the two remarks is more hurtful from the point of view of a man ?

Okay, I know there are a lot of handsome and educated guys in this forum, so you may not have come across a remark such as this. Now just imagine if you're not so handsome or not so educated, which of the two remarks do you think would hurt you more than the other ?

Put it the other way : Would you marry a pretty but PSLE- certificate woman, or a plain-looking woman but with degrees from Ox-bridge University? (no other choices)

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
jackson-before-and-after.jpg

like from left to right ?
nah, I'd rather be ugly

that one is pastic surgery went wrong ...checkout this ...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vYfu0_96lvA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vYfu0_96lvA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R8v3VwHBaho?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R8v3VwHBaho?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/94XMQsMav4k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/94XMQsMav4k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bP-V4pousyk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bP-V4pousyk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
"not educated" _ you can do something about it
"not handsome " _ nothing much you can do about it

BTW Bo TaK Chek is more hurtful to me :biggrin:

I'm interested in your answer. Are you able to explain why 'bo tak chek' is more hurtful ? After all, you did mention that 'not educated' you can do something about it.

jw5

Loyal
I'm interested in your answer. Are you able to explain why 'bo tak chek' is more hurtful ? After all, you did mention that 'not educated' you can do something about it.
He is referring to Botak Chek (bald man) and not Bo Tak Chek (never study).

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you want an absolute comparison between the hurtfulness of the two insults, in my humble opinion, I'd say that ugly hurts more than uneducated. Appearance is an endowment by birth. Insulting it insults your parents and ancestors too, even your race as a whole. Nobody is born with education, it's acquired according to circumstances, and more can be acquired anytime as circumstances allow.

Nobody will claim that a good education is a purchased artificial patch to a natural shortcoming. However, everybody knows that a plastic surgery is.

jw5

Loyal

Okay, I know there are a lot of handsome and educated guys in this forum, so you may not have come across a remark such as this. Now just imagine if you're not so handsome or not so educated, which of the two remarks do you think would hurt you more than the other ?
Ok I answer you.
More hurtful to be Bo Tat Chek than Not handsome.
Because the former is not true, the latter is true in reality.

Let's say I really not educated and not handsome.
Amswer is the same.
Because the former is more a question of fact, the latter is more a question of opinion.

Happy with my answers?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want an absolute comparison between the hurtfulness of the two insults, in my humble opinion, I'd say that ugly hurts more than uneducated. Appearance is an endowment by birth. Insulting it insults your parents and ancestors too, even your race as a whole. Nobody is born with education, it's acquired according to circumstances, and more can be acquired anytime as circumstances allow.

Nobody will claim that a good education is a purchased artificial patch to a natural shortcoming. However, everybody knows that a plastic surgery is.

I don't mean ugly. Just not handsome.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it were a fact why should I feel hurt? If you feel these values definite you then just too bad for you.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it were a fact why should I feel hurt? If you feel these values definite you then just too bad for you.

The truth hurts.

Again, we're not here to discuss if we should feel hurt or we should not.

The question presupposes that one does feel hurt by both remarks, and if given the option, which is the lesser of the two evils.

I know there are many who are immune to such remarks, either because they've better substitutes [such as wealth] or that they subscribe to some superior philosophy of life. This, I respect. But lets stay within the perimeter.

The 'ought to'(s) in life, lets reserve it for another thread.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for cumming to my rescue,
I think Her Royal Highness read too deeply in my reply :biggrin:

It's because the 'chek' does not blend with 'botak' (bald) that I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. If your intention was humour, you should do something about the word 'chek'.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you got friends with the tack like a pile of shit .
I guess it doesn't hurt you even if if your friends are crappy .

jw5

Loyal
It's because the 'chek' does not blend with 'botak' (bald) that I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. If your intention was humour, you should do something about the word 'chek'.
I found it funny.
"Chek" means uncle in hokkien. "Botak chek" actually means bald uncle, which sounds the same as your never study.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
The earlier post by Sideswipe had me thinking.

Among youngsters, being handsome is important because that is the source of your attention, and many a time, attention is being seen as a form of 'success', at least among youngsters.

When you're into your 30s, being knowledgeable is important. This, I must give credit to an earlier post by 'hotbot'. When you compare two 30 something guys, one is handsome but nothing while the other is not handsome (doesn't mean ugly) but knowledgeable with good academic credentials, the latter will command more respect. In fact, he will make the handsome guy look hollow and inept.

When you're into your 50s, being handsome has lost almost all its significance. Knowledge still commands respect, but when you're into your 50s, it's power that matters. It's power that commands status; and status, respect. You may still respect a 50 something University Associate Professor, but I would say a 50 something Army General or Government Minister (just put PAP aside for the time being) or CEO of a MNC will command more respect.

So if you're young, maybe 'not handsome' will come across as more hurtful. But when you're into your 30s and 40s, to have someone criticize you for being uncouth or uneducated is humiliating. In your 50s, both remarks will not hurt you as much as before.