• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My Life (Malay) True Story.

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Mr. Jah_rastafar_I

Thank you for your thoughts.

Definitely I will work out with chinese race, and I also hope chinese race to give themselves an opportunity to start afresh with the rest.

I will encourage my fellow malay to do the same as well.

Together malay, indian and chinese, we can eliminate the one that cause trouble among us regardless of their races.

Have a great day.

Warm regards,
SGM

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
So the job required chinese speaking. Funny that he never metion what position and which industry.

Based on his kind of logic I should also complain when the job requirement ask for bahasa indonesia speaker when working at an Indonesian bank. :rolleyes:

True enough there are some jokers out there who will only see the colour of your skin, why so hung up about their approval? If you are successful and competent envy results REGARDLESS OF SKIN COLOUR.

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
I truly understand your position as I am a Malaysian Chinese. Why don't you do what I did many moons ago and that is cross the causeway. This world is not a fair place and the day it becomes a fair place something else would have to be forfeited.

Dear Mr.fattychin,

Thank you your kind thought.

In times to come if failure persist, I may proceed to the next step for good.

Warmth regards,
SGM

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Mr.Frankiestine,

Yes, I agree with you.

In times to come, singaporean will become an alien in our own land.

This will be our biggest mistake in our life if we are not protecting it from falling into foreigner hand.

I do support your call.

Warmth regards,
SGM

SGMalay...hullo bang relek lah jangan terlalu khuatir...if you want to know, the biggest practitioner of the race game is your own government..anyway that one we don't need to discuss anymore but today...we all Singaporeans regardless of race, language or religion are the one being sidelined and discriminate against..where foreigners are favored over Singaporeans...while the damn fuck up government don't give a shit about our local plight...soon we will be the minority in this country....we should all unite in a battle cry and kick these foreigners out of our country...

"SOS------SAVE OUR SINGAPORE"

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Mr. Jah_rastafar_I

Definitely I will work out with chinese race, and I also hope chinese race to give themselves an opportunity to start afresh with the rest.

Together malay, indian and chinese, we can eliminate the one that cause trouble among us regardless of their races.

Have a great day.

Warm regards,
SGM

Thanks for the reply and i am glad u took it into consideration. Best wishes.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear SG Malay,

I know this racial issue will always be a minefield for "opposition politician" like me, but I will still try to give my two cents worth on this.

Chinese in Malaysia is discriminated in every ways but they have the option of learning the Malay language. Thus in normal life, they do not have the disadvantage of being linguistic discrimination.

But for Malay in Singapore, although there isn't any systematic discrimination by the system, Malay has no opportunity to learn the Chinese language as they are only given the option to learn their so call "Mother Tongue". Thus, in a way, inevitably in this era with the upcoming powerful influence of China and its army of tourists and companies, Chinese and Mandarin may become an essential pre-requisite for many SMEs. This is not particularly "linguistic discrimination" but basically a need for survival.

There are Chinese who cannot speak a single word of Mandarin as well. They too are disadvantaged in their job search, along with Malay. But the Malay may feel that they are being systematically discriminated from such requirement which may not be the truth. There are companies who have more business dealings with Malaysia or Indonesia, do have certain linguistic requirement for certain jobs as well.

Singaporeans have stayed "linguistically segregated" basically because of the language policy of PAP. I do not have the opportunity to learn Malay while I am in school and that is a regret.

Goh Meng Seng

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear SG Malay,

I know this racial issue will always be a minefield for "opposition politician" like me, but I will still try to give my two cents worth on this.

Chinese in Malaysia is discriminated in every ways but they have the option of learning the Malay language. Thus in normal life, they do not have the disadvantage of being linguistic discrimination.

But for Malay in Singapore, although there isn't any systematic discrimination by the system, Malay has no opportunity to learn the Chinese language as they are only given the option to learn their so call "Mother Tongue". Thus, in a way, inevitably in this era with the upcoming powerful influence of China and its army of tourists and companies, Chinese and Mandarin may become an essential pre-requisite for many SMEs. This is not particularly "linguistic discrimination" but basically a need for survival.

There are Chinese who cannot speak a single word of Mandarin as well. They too are disadvantaged in their job search, along with Malay. But the Malay may feel that they are being systematically discriminated from such requirement which may not be the truth. There are companies who have more business dealings with Malaysia or Indonesia, do have certain linguistic requirement for certain jobs as well.

Singaporeans have stayed "linguistically segregated" basically because of the language policy of PAP. I do not have the opportunity to learn Malay while I am in school and that is a regret.

Goh Meng Seng

Nothing is stopping anyone from learning mandarin. Buy some books go to the chinese chamber etc. Watch more channel 8 drama serials.

It's the same for every race. If you're a chinese i doubt u can pick malay or tamil for eg. Many of those people who don't fall into the 3 main races pick malay since it's the easiest language to learn.

Let's say i want to learn malay. Can i lament that i never had a chance to learn it in school since i was learning mandarin?

Nowadays gaining information is so much simpler. U want to learn italian for eg and u can just search around on the net for example.

Nothing is stopping a non chinese fropm learning mandarin. Speaking the language is relatively simple since it is a tonal language with fewer syllables compared to english. Writing it is another matter altogether. I believe many chinese have more problems writing chinese as opposed to speaking it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent - it will keep you grounded and give you valuable context and perspective. Not to mention the shared experience of growing up on the same land.

Dear Mr.Scroobal,

I 've read many of your posting, and am appreciate with your suggestion.

I have some friends from different races, we have maintained a good relationship for the past years.

You are right, the best way is keeping a good ties and social contacts with different group of peoples, while I endure to some who has the "habit" to steer away from different races.

Thank you.

Warm regards,
SGM

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sec 152 of the constutition is interesting. Here is the full extract of the section in all its glory.

Minorities and special position of Malays
152. —(1) It shall be the responsibility of the Government constantly to care for the interests of the racial and religious minorities in Singapore.

(2) The Government shall exercise its functions in such manner as to recognise the special position of the Malays, who are the indigenous people of Singapore, and accordingly it shall be the responsibility of the Government to protect, safeguard, support, foster and promote their political, educational, religious, economic, social and cultural interests and the Malay language.

Now for argument sake, your new employer told you that we always wanted you in the company, so we put this same clause (152) clause in your contract. Will you be delighted, rush home to your wife, throw a dinner for the neighbourhood.

Words must translate to tangible actions and results. Any new employee with a border line IQ will very quickly ask how much more in salary, perks, bonus and "can you kindly put it down in the offer document" The smarter ones will ask for guarantees and formula if they are indeed truly sought.

sec 152 however is important in that it recognises the Malays as the indigenous people of Singapore. Note however this is part of 2 of the section. Part 1 provides coverage for all minorities both in terms of race and religions and not specially malays.

The Malays were given special previleges as required by the constitution. By special previleges, the malays can enjoy free tertiary education etc.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what what are the Special treatments given to the Malays receive. Free education was the only provision accorded to the Malays but one must remember, Singaporeans as a whole received subsidised education in public schools.

In terms of dollars, we are looking at free for primary, $5 for secondary and $6 for Pre-U. Thats for all singaporeans, so savings for a malay family is zero for primary, $5 for Secondary and $6 for Pre-U. Big Fucks to say the least.

Until 1991, all Malays enoyed free teritary education which they had to apply to PSC in the first place. Its no longer the case. Its now means tested. Here are are details
http://www.mendaki.org.sg/content.jsp?cont_cat_id=11&cont_id=790 (scroll down)

There are no other tidbits given to the malays , job wise, housing, bus pass, car parks, tickets to the zoo etc.

Last edited:

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I learned Malay in school primary 4 to secondary two. It is not easy to Chinese educated pupil. Althrough my hairs are white now, I have started to learn Malay again. I should say it's also not easy to me.

One of the Malay employee who resigned has requested to come back this morning. I accepted him.

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what what are the Special treatments given to the Malays receive. Free education was the only provision accorded to the Malays but one must remember, Singaporeans as a whole received subsidised education in public schools.

In terms of dollars, we are looking at free for primary, $5 for secondary and $6 for Pre-U. Thats for all singaporeans, so savings for a malay family is zero for primary, $5 for Secondary and $6 for Pre-U. Big Fucks to say the least.

http://people.delphiforums.com/kojakbt22/downloads/Benefits_of_Singaporean_vs_PR1.htm

Yes, we must thank PAP that we are Singaporeans. At least we are paying cheaper school fees than PRs are. PRs pay:

Primary $3.50 per mth ($3.50 more)
Secondary $6 per mth ($1 more)
Pre-U $7 per mth ($1 more)

hossey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read this interesting article about being a Malay in Singapore and how you are not being treated fairly. I will share with you my experiences of hiring Malay workers too and you may well understand why they are seen to be poor employees.

I employed more than 10 delivery drivers in in company during it's 15 years of operation, there are malays , indians and chinese taking up this position and at the end of the day , I lost faith in the malay worker because of his poor attitude and irresponsible character. The indian driver was not too bad except that he chain smoked to thedismay of other staff and feeling guilty conscious he decided to go .

As for the chinese worker , they have been reasonably reliable and hard working , using their initiative and puntual too. However, they have high regard for themselves , they cannot accept criticism or advice if they do their work wrongly. They think they are smarter than their boss and demand higher salary too. So we decided to give chinese a miss and emplyed a malay .

After 1 day of work , he never turned up on the next day, when I called him on his mobile , it was switched off. Then I call ed his home , the mother said he went to work as usual and I left a message for him to call back which he never did. I took in another malay candidate and he worked for 3 days , disappeared on the 4th and when I called his home , his wife told me he went to Malaysia for urgent business to settle. I told her to inform him to call me asap.He called the next day , I asked him if he is still keen to continue , he said "up to you " . I had a shock but being desperate since there are work to be done , I said ok. When there was appropriate opportunity , I asked why did he go malaysia, he said religious matter and I felt real uneasy because that was the time when 911 took place and his behaviour was rather strange and he refused to elaborate on his trip. By the way , he wears a goatee, like the Osama kind of look except that he is broad.

After a pep talk with him , he continued to work for 4 years with me but not without any hiccups.He is often late for work and in the morning when I dont have much work , he will hide himself in the second level of my shop house without his t-shirt to catch sleep instead of stationing himself at the ground level to do some chores or help out . Other workers complained to me that he's always sleeping upstairs and out for a smoke without leaving words and come back at least 1 hour later. During urgent times when we wanted to look for him , his H/P is switched off , when questioned , his reply is always , no battery or prepaid time left. But when he is in the office , he's always on the mobile phone either SMSing or talking! I am puzzled with his unending calls.

When he got married hastily to a foreigner , I advised him not to start a family too soon as he's always broke and now with a foreign wife and elderly parents to support on his $1500 salary , it's going to be tough. I was also worried that he may not be able to keep this marriage so it's better not to have children first , it may be safer to consider having kids when the marriage is more stable. But he ignored my advise and the child came 9 months later , he could not manage as wife is so young ( 17 years old ) , he's 35 then and his elderly folks cant assit much . In the end he was unable to work consienciouly ,making errors in all the assignments . i tried to accomodate his lost of concentration and bear with him although most emplyers would have fired him. I even bought himlarge cans of milk powder , pampers on a monthly basis to help him out as he's penniless most of the time. Poor foreign wife of 17 years , she's out of the frying pan into the fire. thinking that she will have a better life after leaving Cambodian padi fields and have a good life did not materialised. The beauty of it is ,soon after the child turned 1 , she was about to deliver the 2nd baby ! I am totally dumbfounded with their family planning strategy.

He was getting worst from bad in his work and the last straw was when he went out on an assignment , he did not return until late evening . It will only take 2 hours at most to finish this assignment , when I told him he took too long to do this , within minutes he has a typed resignation letter for me with a handwritten date. I did not retain him this time as in the past when I usually give him a chnce taking into consideration of the inconvenience when changing staff. Even when he left , he did not give me adequate notice , simply said he found a new job paying $2500 at PSA . This was exactly 8 months ago when we were in the midst of the recession ! I wished him well and did not talk further.

Since then I tried a few more malays but sadly it was disappointing . One came in the morning and just disappeared after telling the staff that he wanted to smoke outside at around 4 pm. He never came back and cannot be reached on the mobile. I SMS him the next day to find out if he is coming , he replied in the negative. Then the next malay came along , he worked for 2 days and left without a word, after some phone calls , his family member said he's like that , never hod a job for long and told me not to wait for him.Next it was a well dressed malay in his early 20s , he was so keen in the job during the interview and when given the job he did not turn up. I called , he answered and he said he cant wake up , I told him to come asap , he said ok but still did not turn up.

After all these bad experiences , I gave up hope on them , I engaged a foreign worker , his pay is so much lesser but I still pay him a decent salary instead of taking advantage of his situation. He works hard and has good manners , it's already 3 months and each day he makes me feel happier.

I strongly feel our local employees are not fully committed to their jobs , they want an easy job that pays well . They are not prepared to use initiative and will only work when told. But we are no longer in the age of slavery , we cant whip them to get them to work. It's time for all Singaporean workers to take pride and responsibility in their work if they want to live a comfortable life.

Please do not think that the malays or indians are marginalised , they are all given similar opportunities but they must prove themselves.

desperateuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Mr. Jah_rastafar_I

Have a great day.

Warm regards,
SGM

Fyi, my malay boss (Own Co.) ask me not to hire malay in my department, do you understand why? Or you need me to elaborate?

hossey

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my haste to meet a client , I missed out on something which I am now adding on.

Imagine the frustrations and disappointment that I get when this driver after being treated so well and yet he bit my hand that fed him. During Chinese New Year , English New Year celebrations he received ang pows from me like all other workers , but when Hari Raya comes , he is the only one who gets a bigger ang pow( bearing in mind that he is poor I gave him $200 each time ) from me.I even buy him goodies ( fruits, gaseous drinks ,toys etc )regularly for his family but he got the audacity to walk out on me without giving due notice. He simply said PSA job must start next day , and he is using his "maternity leave" which he has not taken during the time when his wfe gave birth ( months ago) . I did not realise that the husband is entitled to such leave until he showed me the print-out from MOM , but why did he not take leave during his wife's delivery and use this to off-set leaving me unguarded? Short of telling him , you planned well to fix me up , I shrugged my shoulder and told him , too bad you do not appreciate kindness .

For some of the Malays to be taken seriously ,they must change their attitude otherwise the road to progress will be hard. Those that have got out of the poverty syndrome with better education and hard work , I sincerely wish that they will try to counsel and assist the underprivileged who are still trapped in their unfortunate situations to wake up and challenge themselves instead of waiting for charity. Nothing will happen to raise their standard of living if they remain conceited and refused to work hard , everyone in Singapore is given equal oppoetunity to survive , if you chose to be lazy and stubborn , no one can help. Why are some poor families with odd-job parents able to make progress in their next generation? We heard so many stories of taxi drivers, labourers , washerwomen etc having children who outshine in their education (which is offered on equal terms to every race ) and became doctors, politicians,lawyers etc. They worked hard and got themselves out of the poverty trap , their future generations will benefit from their ancestors' wisdom.

Nobody owes the malay a living , they must earn it with dignity and hardwork. Most important of all is attitude towards life .