• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Muslims want to ban alcohol at Kampong Glam

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is ridiculous and plain stupidity... Arab St should cater to the needs of non Muslims too.. Every month I would head to Wine Bos near to Kampong Glam for some drinks with my buddies and watch football there.. By implementing on this stupid ruling, everyone would be affected.. There's alot of KTVs within the Kampong Glam area.. If these KTVs are not allowed to sell alcohol, then what must they sell..??? Apple juice..??? :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:
interesting to note that Arab street used to be a red light district.....it seems we were more open minded last time compared to now.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
interesting to note that Arab street used to be a red light district.....it seems we were more open minded last time compared to now.

I hope those KTV and the pub owners take a strong stand against this silly alcohol ban ruling.. I'm pissing mad that these local Islamists hardliner wannabes are implementing their backward way of life on us the non Muslims.. They are trying to turn the whole place into Medina.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After Kampong Glam, next it would be the area surrounding Geylang Serai, which will include the entire length of Joo Chiat Road. Soon the custodian of Mangala Vihara which is located near there, will want a meat ban too..:rolleyes: Then it would be a no alcohol, no meat & no smoking zone..won't that be wonderful, healthy living..."imagine...."

Last edited:

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
After Kampong Glam, next it would be the area surrounding Geylang Serai, which will include the entire length of Joo Chiat Road. Soon the custodian of Mangala Vihara which is located near there, will want a meat ban too..:rolleyes: Then it would be a no alcohol, no meat & no smoking zone..won't that be wonderful, healthy living..."imagine...."

There are three Hindu temples along Serangoon Road. If Arab St goes liquor free, then Hindus have legitimate grounds to demand the restaurants along Serangoon Road to go meatless.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal

if they touch mangala vihara, i will declare jihad with them

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Non muslims especially chinese should put their feet down and demand these buggers stop imposing their views unto others.

You look at european countries like the UK and especially the UK where they tolerate these mussies in the name of liberalism you have muslims bowing in the streets in prayer out in the open. It's even happening in norway and scandanavian countries like sweden. Don't ever let it happen in sg. They already have indon and mudland if they want their muzzie crap.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is what happens if u try to respect religions .. They will get more demanding .. Just Look at Muslim and Christians .. These 2 cults are the worst when trying to spread their religion .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let them ban alcohol .. See whether their faith are strong enough when they can't pay their monthly rental for their pub and restaurant .

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to ban alcohol. URA now doesn't approve public entertainment licenses in that vicinity - heritage area. Even the Little India area also no-no. Same reason - heritage area. The current practice is to reject applications if these night joints are close to religious institutions, schools, residential areas (HDB and private) etc. Easier to take over than start from scratch. Lots of obstacles.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I first read this I thought it was a case of muslim extremism. However......

Alchohol may only be one of the reasons of why the residents feel the change is necessary:confused: Is it possible that they see plenty of Karaok & Bars opening in their area & are concerned? I notice that the Arab Street area has an increasing number of such joints.

No one wants such businesses in their back yard because it attracts all kinds of problems. So the core of this may be a response to the gov'ts FT policy :confused:

I too noticed that,wherever there is a mosque there always is a shaddy night spot immediately next to it.It seems that's the way our URA plans.

I suppose it's a deliberate attempt to taint the holiness and sanctity of Muslim holy places of worship.

In contrast,bars and pubs are never where the churches are.Perhaps ,because many of our ministers are Christians?

Even the Hindu temples are spared.

I for one would want to buy my 'poison'(alcohol) at any time of the night.But surrounding a place with bars and prostitutes deliberately and intentionally is not exactly playing cricket.

Last edited:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am with the Muslims on this. Right in the vicinity of Sultan Mosque? It defiles the sanctity of a prominent religious icon.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

And do u know there are several mosques nearby Geylang red light area?

We even have mosques and temples side by side.

We are still open minded in Spore ya.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a relatively new Malay provision shop in my area, near Kallang riverfront, opened just about a couple of years ago. Usually, Malay shops don't sell alcohol. One fine day, on my way back from dinner at Bendemeer, the weather and sunset scenery was so fine that I got into the mood to have a can of beer by the riverside. The 7-11 was a little further and the Malay shop was the closest. I tried the Malay shop first. Pleasant surprise! I was able to find and buy beer there! I joked with the shopkeeper, saying I thought Malay shops aren't supposed to sell alcohol. He smiled back, saying here most of his Malay customers buy beer. The shop will go broke if not selling beer!

Last edited:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a relatively new Malay provision shop in my area, near Kallang riverfront, opened just about a couple of years ago. Usually, Malay shops don't sell alcohol. One fine day, on my way back from dinner at Bendemeer, the weather and sunset scenery was so fine that I got into the mood to have a can of beer by the riverside. The 7-11 was a little further and the Malay shop was the closest. I tried the Malay shop first. Pleasant surprise! I was able to find and buy beer there! I joked with the shopkeeper, saying I thought Malay shops aren't supposed to sell alcohol. He smiled back, saying here most of his Malay customers buy beer. The shop will go broke if not selling beer!

No hoo haa right? :rolleyes:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
And do u know there are several mosques nearby Geylang red light area?

I wonder if the mosques were there before the lights turned RED or vice versa. Lor 14's big building is where the Muslim Converts are guided in the path of Islam, am I right?

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder if the mosques were there before the lights turned RED or vice versa. Lor 14's big building is where the Muslim Converts are guided in the path of Islam, am I right?

We have another old mosque, Fatimah mosque, at beach road. But opp Golden Mile...no need to say wats going on there. But no hoo haa.

Muslim converts Asso is at Geylang Rd..somewhere near Paya Lebar MRT station..or Haig Rd.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No hoo haa right? :rolleyes:

No hoo haa. Some Malays have bought beer from that Malay shop and pinicking by the riverside too. The MP for this area is Yaacob Ibrahim. His MPS is just two blocks away. I've never heard any hoo haa from him too. :wink:

Last edited:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have another old mosque, Fatimah mosque, at beach road. But opp Golden Mile...no need to say wats going on there. But no hoo haa.

Muslim converts Asso is at Geylang Rd..somewhere near Paya Lebar MRT station..or Haig Rd.

But it just don't seem right for what is happening near the Sultan Mosque? What's next? Arab Street of Whores to be a complement to the Fourth Floors of?