• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM wife has just passed away.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Jay

Does it matter who left us what, be it french, british or chinese ? The Americans left similar benefits to the Phillipines

Locke

Shaven

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no doubt that Singapore transformed tremendously and beyond anyone's expectations. It was the determination, the resolve and the vision of a few good men and led by an exceptional individual. Many of us are where we are because of what transpired. The run was good and in the mid 1980s, CPF reached the magical figure of 50% (25+25).

thanks.... that validates my point.
"Industrial History of Singapore
1960s: Economic Uncertainty

Due to its strategic location on major sea lanes, Singapore was always dependant on entrepot trade. During the 1960s it was a small country with no natural resources, with a small manufacturing base, poor infrastructure, little industrial know how and domestic capital. There was little or no direct foreign investment. However, there was soon a shift in economic policy resulting in the emergence of 'import substitution.' This was a key strategy for the nation's economic development. It encouraged industrial growth in order to reduce the import of manufactured goods, save foreign exchange, provide jobs and reduce dependency on other nations. Thus began the development of Jurong Industrial Estate which was to house Singapore's factories and industries. The Jurong Town Corporation was created in 1968 to manage this development. Singapore's path towards industrialisation had begun. Factories started producing garments, textiles and toys. However, with Singapore gaining Independence from Malaysia in 1965, it lost its source of raw materials as well as a domestic market for its goods. The focus now shifted on export-oriented industries by attracting foreign investment in Singapore to develop its manufacturing and financial sectors.
1970s: Skill-intensive Industries

The 1970s saw the expansion of Singapore's industrial base. Unemployment was no longer a problem and infrastructure had developed. Factories were built ahead of demand and skilled labour-force was readily available. Singapore started manufacturing more sophisticated products such as computer parts, silicon wafers and semi-conductor circuits. The electronics industry began to see unprecedented growth. Many MNC's shifted their R&D centers to Singapore. Nationalised companies such as Singapore Airlines, Development Bank of Singapore and Sembawang Shipyard were set up. Manufacturing sector's share of GDP grew from 14% in 1965 to 24% by 1978 and it had become the largest sector in the economy, surpassing trade.
1980s: Knowledge-intensive Industries.....and so on"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe its time to tell this story.

Chia Thye Poh was languishing in his cell for 23 years and placed under restricted condition for a further 8 years.

No many people were aware of this but tells the mind of the man and his supposedly strong wife who guided the country behind the scene.

Chia was arrested in Oct 1966. 22 months later (not even 2 years), his Singapore citizenship was revoked and served with a Banishment Order. Others however was so dangerous that they did not have this exit condition. Chia was transferred to Queenstown Remand Prison and placed in the care of Immigration for deporting to be done. If he was so dangerous he would have been a threat from outside influencing others to destablise this country. The assessment was that he was not dangerous and thus the steps to banish began in Feb 1968.

Chia spent 8 years in Queenstown under Immigration and no longer classified a political detainee. Chia claimed that he was born in Singapore in 1933 and refused to accept or seek aslyum. After 8 years in Queenstown, he became an embarrassment to the country. Suddenly the authorities felt that while he was in Queenstown, he became a dangeous subversive AGAIN and was re-classified as A politcal detainee and back to Whitley in 1976.

Note how this can be rationalised in the mind of a reasonable person.

I have no doubt that Chia was and is a communist. But you cannot incarcerate someone for being a communist. At the time of his arrest, he was elected member of Parliament for Jurong.

I suppose the late lady who was a Queens scholar for all of Malaya, scored well in Cambridge and became the most influential lawyer on this land in terms of billings, had no time to raise this as an issue for Singapore. Mandela was the longest serving but he had a shot of being convicted in a court of law albeit its independence was a joke but Chia had no such opportunity. The court case allowed Mandela to be seen as a freedom fighter. Chia again did not have the same.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
And we had to teach you how to write a balanced view and not some dishonest comment about fishing village.

The pleasure is mind. PM me if you need help on what else transpired in our village.

thanks.... that validates my point.
"Industrial History of Singapore
1960s: Economic Uncertainty

"

Shaven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

I for one would not be ashamed to admit that yes the comforts I have in hand and over my head are due in no small part to the work of one exceptional man and one exceptional bedrock and a set of intellectual equals he led. I may be English Educated but am chinese to the core when it comes to culture and a belief that behind every successful man is a good wife

Yes, the British did not leave behind an absolute mess, but one only has to look North, at India , at Burma at the US and the Philipines and know that leaving behind a world class infrastructure can also result in it turning into an absolute nightmare under an incapable leadership.

That part at least of the PAP narrative rings true but I can't understand the people arguing against it. I would personally would like Ngiam argue against
their linked argument that in effect the PAP unchecked is the only way possible to ensure Singapore's economic and political success.

Locke
we don't need to go far to see an example - philipine... a thriving economy in asia in 60s and 70s, a western manufacturing base, built their first nuclear power plant in the late 70s, but a political upheaval in the 80s by the young middle class back by the old oligarch and reverses whatever economic gains they've built in 30 years in a little less than 3years after Marcos left.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore was not a fishing village when LKY took over. If there was a fishing village, the one at Kangkar its the only one that I heard of. I was born in Tg Pagar in early 50s, living in PSA quarters for almost 30 years, where my father was a port worker. At that time it was known as SHB (Singapore Harbour Board). When LKY took over in 1959, He inherited PSA and Naval Base which were the two most important assets.

R

redlightmeansgo

No many people were aware of this but tells the mind of the man and his supposedly strong wife who guided the country behind the scene.

If you are familiar with the old Scottish play, Macbeth, you will see parallels in the way the wife admonishes the husband for being stricken with guilt for wanting to usurp King Duncan. It was Lady macbeth who finally pushes the husband over to the dark side.

Shakespeare was a writer par excellence, and had a tremendous grasp of how dark desires would eventually cause one to lose his soul.

In a pivotal scene, Lady Macbeth denies and subverts her own feminine instincts by asking to be "unsexed". The scene underlines her proclivity towards the more masculine need for dominance and power, a quality which Macbeth in his quest for kingship ironically lacks.

If she were any pillar of strength, Gecko must presumably have been old goat's Lady M.

Shaven

Alfrescian
Loyal
And we had to teach you how to write a balanced view and not some dishonest comment about fishing village.

The pleasure is mind. PM me if you need help on what else transpired in our village.

ha ha teach me to write... you mean 'the pleasure is mine' not 'mind'.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's life bro. It helps explain why the press has to be muffled to keep up the appearances. When old man broke the sacred rule and sent his grandson to American School, the Americans were delighted and they also laughed at us. A mockery. To celebrate the mockery, at the instigation of some mischief makers, they invited him to give a speech and they took bets. He agreed. Clearly showing he could not give a damn about Singaporeans and the language requirement that applied to the rest. You guys should read his speech.

So what do Singaporeans do, they spent their waking hours correcting spelling errors. And to them its an achievement. The blinkers will continued to be worn with pride.

While satellite dishes are banned in Singapore, the kids and grand kids of the Lee households had their fill. It let to old man lamenting in public about having to check the younger ones from watching the wrong stuff. Clueless that a ban was on.

If you are familiar with the old Scottish play, Macbeth, you will see parallels in the way the wife admonishes the husband for being stricken with guilt for wanting to usurp King Duncan. It was Lady macbeth who finally pushes the husband over to the dark side.

Shakespeare was a writer par excellence, and had a tremendous grasp of how dark desires would eventually cause one to lose his soul.

In a pivotal scene, Lady Macbeth denies and subverts her own feminine instincts by asking to be "unsexed". The scene underlines her proclivity towards the more masculine need for dominance and power, a quality which Macbeth in his quest for kingship ironically lacks.

If she were any pillar of strength, Gecko must presumably have been old goat's Lady M.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: RI was built in 1960

Bro, you are wrong. Dead wrong. My eyes was only opened yeaterday when I found out it was a fishing village. I know the chap could not find a picture of the island in 1959 full of fishing villages but it does not mean that it is not true. The canal picture did help = got water in it.

I think RI was built in 1960. SJI in Bras Basah is an urban myth. It is actually a art place. Go see the real SJI in Malcom Road, cleary it was built during the time of the PAP.

You should also remember that correcting or commenting about history is considered a hate post when someone dies. How the two are related is beyond me as I am just a fisherman.

By the way, sorry to correct you. She was awarded the Queen's scholarship in UK. Singapore did not have any school then. There was a covered shed but it was to dry fishing nets and not to hold classes.

Hi [scroobal],

Pardon me, I believe you are wrong with 1960, because RI at Grange Road was built in 1972 or 1973. The bulidings at Bras Basah Road were left standing, because we went there to play soccer till adter sun down.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
wtf, will smith's i am legend screening on ch 5 is cancelled as a sign of respect for kgc:confused: what is the link?

becos the real legend is kgc?

sgczar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Condolence to MM Lee and PM Lee. I'm just surprised on some of the comments here, why politicize this matter? Have these people forgotten their beginning? MM Lee brought Singapore from a fishing village to what it is today, A First world country in a Third world region. For MM Lee as one the great leaders in the last century, it's better to be feared and respected than to be loved. Maybe the young generation need to look back where Singapore came from and realize that without MM Lee strong leadership, Singapore could have end up like its neighbours or worse like what Philipines today.

Fishing village? I think you're living in delusion. I was there when the PAP came into power and Singapore was no fishing village. The British, snobs as they were, did do their jobs and Singapore was actually one of the better colonies they had.

Life was much healthier and less stressful then. Char Kway Tiao was only 20 cts a plate without eggs and can even bring your own egg. Iceball was 5 cts each and 5 cts could buy you 5 hudson sweets. You could get a nice breakfast at a Sarabat stall for just 20 cts with teh tarik or kopi tarik.

These so called saviours of Singapore pushed inflation and artificially inflated the price of your average HDB flats to where they are today.. 480k for a miserable 89 sqm 4 room flat! The 1st 3 room flats were much bigger than 89 sqm and they only cost 7.7k!

So yeah, like it or not, this old lady and her family does not deserve any consolation from Sinkies.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have these people forgotten their beginning?

Maybe the young generation need to look back where Singapore came from

Singapore could have end up like its neighbours or worse like what Philipines today.

If u are humble, u shouldnt be criticising or comparing your neighbours like as though they are the devils or shits! U should ask yourself this, where did your island come from?

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wtf, will smith's i am legend screening on ch 5 is cancelled as a sign of respect for kgc:confused: what is the link?

becos the real legend is kgc?

bro, I am also very TL also..... was waiting for the show, sikali postpone......

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: RI was built in 1960

Best to ask Dr. Vincent Wijeysingha, son of ex-PRI Eugene Wijeysingha, who wrote History of RI.

Hi [scroobal],

Pardon me, I believe you are wrong with 1960, because RI at Grange Road was built in 1972 or 1973. The bulidings at Bras Basah Road were left standing, because we went there to play soccer till adter sun down.

R

redlightmeansgo

LOL, she's just HIStory lah bro. Was waiting for it as well.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, now this is beginning to get clearer. In the beginning, there was nothing, no time, not space, like the universe. definitely not a fishing village. Suddenly there was a lightning flash, and a big bang, and LKY was born, in seven days LKY and the PAP created Singapore. then spent another 50 years bringing Singapore from third world to First.

I think RI was built in 1960. SJI in Bras Basah is an urban myth. It is actually a art place. Go see the real SJI in Malcom Road, cleary it was built during the time of the PAP.

You should also remember that correcting or commenting about history is considered a hate post when someone dies. How the two are related is beyond me as I am just a fisherman.

By the way, sorry to correct you. She was awarded the Queen's scholarship in UK. Singapore did not have any school then. There was a covered shed but it was to dry fishing nets and not to hold classes.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally you answered the great mystery of the lightning flesh. It also fits in nicely with the God complex.

Suddenly there was a lightning flash, and a big bang, and LKY was born, in seven days LKY and the PAP created Singapore. then spent another 50 years bringing Singapore from third world to First.

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, now this is beginning to get clearer. In the beginning, there was nothing, no time, not space, like the universe. definitely not a fishing village. Suddenly there was a lightning flash, and a big bang, and LKY was born, in seven days LKY and the PAP created Singapore. then spent another 50 years bringing Singapore from third world to First.
And before LKY was born, the British were enslaving all the Singaporeans and housed them in pig cages. SIT built flats only for the British, not for the locals. In fact, the Queen scholarship was only for whites.