• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro..u still have some savings end of the day..although just "abit"...at least not in the red..
retirement will be in the form of 2 fully paid up homes - one in SG (which will be rented out for recurring income) and one in JB..what else u need bro. there is also the basic CPF OA/SA..

don need to tell wife la..u work hard, she work harder at home taking care of the kids...teach them well and these are your assets too.

I don't think it's wise to be too dependent on the rental income... Cos it's impossible to have ur flat rented out 100% of the time.... So it's better to have two person working... It's a safety net...

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think it's wise to be too dependent on the rental income... Cos it's impossible to have ur flat rented out 100% of the time.... So it's better to have two person working... It's a safety net...

Agree. Definitely a bit stretching it on a single income +3k... 2houses, 2cars, 1kid, parents, etc... need to have some buffer, mate.

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been speaking to some friends about Nusajaya and a British friend mentioned that her niece has just gotten a teaching position (2 years contract) at Marlborough College, seems the young lady will be moving over some time in August 2012 to start the semester soon after.

Apparently there was a recruitment exercise in UK recently for teaching staff (junior levels Pri 1-6) and there were more than 400 applicants for the 5-6 positions available.

Seems that these teachers and most of the faculty will be staying in the campus, so for those bros looking to rent their condos or landed to the Marlborough faculty... hmmm... :*:

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a very fruitful weekend, met up and had a chat with the GM of a listed billion dollar high end international developer which is based in Klang Valley and she shared her insights on Johor with me, they are coming JB with a close to RM4 billion GDV development and so we should be getting more good investment news soon. I hope to have a chance to meet more such learned friends after meeting a few others and seems like I am meeting more and more learned people coming JB way.

We went to Tropez residences launch and I am truely in love with the project, having heard of the Tropicana brand in Klang Valley, I love their concept. Also met some of the industry people there.

We also went to Setia Tropika as well as Adda Heights both for the 3/4th time, I am still in love with ST as I think it is highly accessible and have a good master plan. The place is indeed well organised with commercial lots. The fenix villas are beautiful, and the condo seems to be well located and progressing well. :smile:

kuhaniz

hi all, i am a Singaporean and my wife to be is Malaysian but she is from Sabah. We are looking at our first home in bukit indah and looking to book the arte by sp setia soon. may i ask if it is better to stay in the bukit indah area or nusa / HH areas ? I really like the arte because it is just a road down from jusco so it will be very convenient. We were quoted 500k by the developer sp setia. 5k rm downpayment and 490k for loan 90%.

we are in our 20s and don't really want to buy a HDB flat because ever since I went to her house in KK, i really enjoy the quality of life living in malaysia and I visit jb quite often since my NS days. Hope you guys that are living there already could advise us so we can plan better for our future. Thanks!

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bros and Sisters,

this is a bit late though, but if anyone is free on 22nd December 7pm - 9.30pm, there will be a Christmas party arranged by E&O Country Manager, Singapore at their Singapore Beach Road gallery. They will be presenting Andaman project as well as Iskandar presentation and may be able to get early bird discount for Andaman, Penang. If interested to attend, do confirm by PMing me tonight as they need to arrange for food, etc. :smile:

gskalra

Alfrescian
Loyal
the loan rate depends how u nego with the bank , i told UXX , look , yr rate is not as fantastic as other banks , but if willing to loan me 90% , u will get the deal so I got it.
For me , abt RM54k including foreigner's levy.
My developer absorbed most of the legal fees etc , abt RM22k. if u buying subsale , then u have to pay a lot of money ....

Thanks Crystal, now I get what you mean, and frankly, RM54K will be much easier for me to put down, so I do not have to wait a year, while the prices keep going up

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think those earning singapore dollars will still complain...as in the past they can easily own a semi-D and drives a Camry in JB.... now, it becomes very difficult liao....

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the main reason why many JB residents are not complaining about the influx of Sporeans into the city is because up to 70-80% of the Johor males are earning Singapore dollars. Yesterday I was dining alone in Tea Garden when I overheard a family complaining about how prices of food and necessity are driven up by the influx of Sporeans, no one else and that the Federal Government is currying favouring the Sporeans and enticing them to come over to invest. That is why many Singaporeans commit crimes, speed on public roads and cause considerable nuisance and still got away scot-free.

If you ask anyone who works in JB and earns normal Ringgit ( about RM 1000 plus ) a month, they will curse and swear at Sporeans who drive up everything, including crime rate

But frankly speaking , is all this higher price caused by Singaporean buying ? Looking at the super high inflation period is from 2009 to current date , during these 3 yrs , how many houses are actually bought by Singaporean ?
Looking at the list in this forum , is only about 150 house only . Asuming the market for Singaporean is a thousand time more , which is about 150,000 houses . Does it have so much inpact on the higher prices ?
More like the Malaysian with SG PRs are the contributing factors , my estate 70% are bought by these group of people . My neighbour (SG PR ) buy 2 houses and 1 shophouses, look at the list again , those buy a few houses are mostly the Malaysian leh ...

You also see places in KL and penang up so much also , hence the higher prices is more like due to USA printing too much money lah ! We have cheap money but expensive raw material like oil , copper , metal etc causing super high inflation.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am very surprised Botak Seri has not jumped in to wank you yet for your comments. Actually Horizon Hills also has many Malays who will play soccer along the gardens. They are peaceful people. If you grow up in HDBs like me and play soccer daily from morning till evening with them, then integration is never an issue. To me its the norm. One female shop owner recently told me that staying in a taman with many malays means that the place will be a safe place.. very true indeed. However if u were to stay in government flats which are (sorry to say this) for the "less financially well off", then u will see all sorts of funny character.

One forummer called Raffles Tiger did just that, staying in a budget flat and had to endure incessant knocking around the perimeters of his own house from his neighbours. I am not sure if he is still alive but he hasnt come in to report for work for 1-2 months already.

I recall Raffles tiger was staying at the Prima Regency, which is a condo at Plentong and not budget government flat.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just to share my observations the past couple of days. A consortium of a large group of foreigners are looking to rent. I was told over 10 houses and with long leases. The IRDA brought them to visit a friends place and i opened up the keys for them. Recently some factory unit got transacted at pretty good prices.

Went to EL to look at subsale houses there, 1.6 for a Semi-D, another is 1.25m and the smallest one is 1m.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Marlborough college is just one of the many instituitions of higher learning. In fact, from someone learned, i learnt that EL will be used to house certain profs, etc from the nearby instituitions.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I recall Raffles tiger was staying at the Prima Regency, which is a condo at Plentong and not budget government flat.

Yes, he definitely wasn't staying at any government flat but at a condo. I hope he is doing well though.
I do agree with HH though that just as we integrate well with them in SG, we should continue doing so here.

Certain developments (not only HH/EL/NI/ND) has suddenly been doing extremely well, as some of my bros are still in the purchasing mode, will share more once they finish.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I think those earning singapore dollars will still complain...as in the past they can easily own a semi-D and drives a Camry in JB.... now, it becomes very difficult liao....

It is as some are displaced by foreigners in Singapore so its tougher for some but i have seen a lot of them dust themselves off and tried again. Also encouraged one neighbour to buy a place, now she is in a serious dilemma whether to sell or not as another friend just offered a price for the house. I let them deal direct so if one side says ok, i will just let them talk direct.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro, agree with you if you are earning SGD!
But for those who are earning RM...jialiat loh....one visit to LEGOland @ 280x2.4 = 670RM already...not counting food and gifts whilst in there....how many typical msian family in JB can afford a trip for at this price per day?

MY to me things are not cheap anymore....eg..

I just got back from a holiday trip in Penang - the hotels there are expensive if you take dollar vs dollar - 400 RM per night..at parkroyale pg - here, I think
SG250 can get liao....so if you dun covert things in MY to me looks expensive...i am not sure about the income level now...could be higher already, as not following any recent update about MY pay..

A lot of these attractions are geared towards the foreign dollar rather than just domestic. They will likely be able to get some kind of rebates but it will still be very high. That said, i noticed that there are a lot of low key/low profile folks who are Johoreans and they are certainly anything but poor. Its just that they don't show it and downplay what they have. A learned friend of mine who is a local told me this: Those who boast about this and that, don't have anything in reality so they have nothing to lose. Those who have lots to lose will typically downplay what they have to avoid green/red eyes.

Pay wise still isn't high at all, there are still salon girls earning $500 RM (basic pay) to the best of my knowledge. Pay ranges from few hundred to 4-5k typically for a senior manager. The reason why most went to SG in the past was because Johore didn't have much going in terms aside from manufacturing, etc.

That is set to change though to a certain extent.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Agree, very important to remember that what's cheap to us is still a king's ransom to most Johoreans, and that includes the ones the ones coming daily to SG to work. We shouldn't trumpet loudly how cheap things are there like it were a universal truth because a lot of Johoreans are struggling. Puts us no better than a minority of the foreign talent who come to SG and have a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Hopefully, the developments in Iskandar continue as planned, and more importantly, become a success so that employment opportunities for more Malaysians open up, thereby raising their incomes in the longer run. That to me is the only way to ensure long term success there. The hordes of foreigners (which is us lol) buying properties at a breakneck pace there achieve little unless the above is achieved.

If we drive up prices of everything, including property, and the local population does not experience a corresponding increase in employment and wage opportunities, that would be just like Singapore wouldn't it? Just get a lot of resentment from the locals. :smile:

I see a lot of similarities between what the Malaysian authorities are trying to do there with what Singapore did in its early stages of development. Together with a large number of natural advantages compared to SG, I am hopeful they can pull it off if they are determined enough and not undermined by their local politics.

So far, so good. Long may it continue lol.

Yes, refrain from the cheap cheap thing. No one would appreciate if this happened in Singapore. They have lots of safety nets though like REAL subsidies from the government for first time house buyers and protection against foreigners ownership for different types of properties and even shop houses. So for housing/cars, there are still protection and medical wise, they will still go to local hospitals hence no direct impact, at least not now.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yah...but minus off giving allowance to parents and offsetting the income that i'm shorted of to cover the SGD3930, only left abit as savings.... like that how to retire?

Hence, my conclusion is.... i have to tell my wife that she gotta continue working =X

Hi Tutucake, there is nothing wrong if the wife has to continue working, there are lots of womenfolk in Singapore forced to continue working. Even our PM's wife is also working (but i shall digress) Who knows, maybe your wife prefers working?

Take your time, there is no fast nor slow, no one will measure you at the end of your days by how much you earned or your title or how many houses/companies you have. Most would just write there "Cherished/Beloved Father/Mother" rather than "Feared CEO", "Director with PHD" on their tombstones. No matter how many no. 1 one have in life, at the end of the day, thats your own accomplishment and your own matter to take up with your maker. For me, i would live my life to the fullest and not be bothered too much by what people think. Everyone has different ideals for life. Some would be happy to retire at age 20, some at age 45 and some would rather never retire at all.

I am more than happy to see my son be last place if thats what suits him, there is no right or wrong in this world, thinking and justification makes it so i guess. I would encourage him to do his best but if he is meant to be a beach bum, so be it. At least he will have a couple of houses to live off.
My kids can do anything but only 3 things in life they can't,

1. Never do anything that makes you or others unhappy for the sake of material or advantageous gains
2. Never betray the trust of people who put their faith and trust in you for once gone, its irretrievable.
3. Never touch anything that may potentially control you, you are not as good or immune as you think*
*(Refers to spirits/gambling/smoking)

As an aside:
I will also tell my kids to be honest with their vices to their spouses. I have no issues with people who smoke, my dad is a smoker and proud of it.
From day one with my mom he already told her. Despite my moms and family objections, he is a die hard "Marlborough" supporter(thats why he is so happy in Johore).

At least my dad is man enough to own up to smoking. I see so many guys (lets still call them guys please) who despite having senior appointments or always claiming to be alpha male/great strength in character (or always needing to be right) turn white when they see their girlfriends or wife and then try to extinguish and then spray stuff to hide it.

When caught, they again deny and promised not to do it again. Afterwards, you see them huffing and puffing away, one time, one of these "macho" men flicked his cigarette so hard that it went into his girlfriends father's fish tank...As his dad was a non-smoker(a real non-smoker), he had a hard time getting that one put away.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
hi all, i am a Singaporean and my wife to be is Malaysian but she is from Sabah. We are looking at our first home in bukit indah and looking to book the arte by sp setia soon. may i ask if it is better to stay in the bukit indah area or nusa / HH areas ? I really like the arte because it is just a road down from jusco so it will be very convenient. We were quoted 500k by the developer sp setia. 5k rm downpayment and 490k for loan 90%.

we are in our 20s and don't really want to buy a HDB flat because ever since I went to her house in KK, i really enjoy the quality of life living in malaysia and I visit jb quite often since my NS days. Hope you guys that are living there already could advise us so we can plan better for our future. Thanks!

Hi Kuhaniz, I would not go for this as my first choice BUT thats me. Which ever fits your preference or budget. If i were you, i would actually use the wifes name to buy property below 500k RM since she is Malaysian as she will be eligible to buy other types of houses plus if she is a first time house owner, she may be able to get further subsidies. I would prefer Bukit Indah but there are also good areas around. Some bros have pointed out Adda Heights/Setia Tropika/Austin Heights area.

There are lots of good bros here, feel free to ask more questions.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
getting passport's chop renewed without going past Singapore custom is that possible?..

Hi LGLab,

Could you help to explain further, do you mean to get out of Malaysia by stamping and then circling back to Malaysia? Yes you can if thats what you were asking. There is a right turn to allow you to head back to Malaysia after getting your departure stamp on your passport. Just heard they extended MACS to end of this year at Jusco. Brought a few new friends to get it done recently. Felt embarrassed when i told them it was extended until Dec 15 but turned out that it was extended again.

Status
Not open for further replies.