• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its difficult to find schools with good school bus arrangement right?

Hey what do you teach? Sorry for sounding like a Busy Body?

Curious to know.

AP: Esp. with school bus arrangements they also get to socialize with kids in similar arrangements building camaraderie and social skills. Every now and then in my profession, I also observe the same thing amongst my students...

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello all

Moving here was easy, buying a house was easy, in fact a lot of it was easy but there are difficult parts.

Language - yep we don't speak Malay or Chinese so that is challenging, especially when you really want to get something or make it happen, but that is the challenge of living somewhere new.

Quality of building work - so far it has been a real headache, workers don't turn up, don't work properly (long breaks) and the quality is not good. Somehow I believe that good work, good quality in a timely manner is possible but to achieve this somewhere we need to be able to tell of good and bad experiences with different contractors - a method of accountability ?? Great plant people at 1º 29' 27.89", 103º 39' 36.03" and ask for Jos Hua.:smile:

Finding stuff: this is seriously hard sometimes. If you search the web then there you will find only a small handful of companies that have bothered to list themselves and what they do. I have been trying to find a timber merchant as I want to make some things and I still haven't succeeded - CAN ANYONE HELP :confused:

Anybody got an idea of a sensible place to start a practical forum for new residents in Nusajaya.

Thanks all

Welcome.

You'll find this is a good website with quite a few helpful guys around. This website is as good as any to start a forum for new residents to Nusajaya. There's already a couple of helpful pointers from Money changers to getting new tyres for your car. I believe in an earlier post there's even a mention of a gardener. Just ask and wait for a reply........ Most everyone here is quite helpful:biggrin:

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ouch must wait till 2nd or 3rd Quarter of next year ?

I was hoping that the EDL will open end of this year.

Got toll? :( Yeah i agree with you that as long as no jam then it would be a great idea to use it cause it will bring you from ur home to the CIQ in minutes.

Coastal Highway no toll? Why?

AP: theoretically 2011 4Q but dilly dally a bit as per history then 2012 just like the highway to desaru. coastal highway going to nusajaya JB corp pet project. Dun think they'll dissuade people to go there.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its difficult to find schools with good school bus arrangement right?

Hey what do you teach? Sorry for sounding like a Busy Body?

Curious to know.

well, if your heart really slant towards your ST property then tow your whole family in if you have to! I would! haha. They must also really like the place I guess?

bus arrangement is not difficult in a sense, woodland's schools are very well connected (last time there was mickey mouse and superman line of buses each with 20 over buses! :biggrin:) Some of my primary school friends when on to schools along bukit timah. Also not a problem 'cept waking earlier. Beyond that, I hear about chartering bus for the whole taman specifically. Perhaps ask Cathy? m sure there are more than a few doing the daily commute. I always see SG plate cars coming down from NSH loop at pandan. btw I think that might be a place you want to try to look for a wet market?

As for me I'm doing tertiary level dun worry sharing info only. I have students who commute across, they're much more responsible, polite with can-do can-learn attitude. Am very impressed. We got one of them a job offer even before he graduate. Local kids also have that although used sparingly and very picky. Btw am not keen to provide tuition!! I had 2 boys do PSLE prep a few years ago and after they have got their places and 'graduated', I tell myself never again! :biggrin: Developing the line further, sometimes tuition may not be the best option can be counter productive making them detest the subject further. If I have kids I'd rather let them choose enrichment courses which they like to develop depth and psychological maturity and a more positive attitude towards learning and force the schools to buck up and do what they should be doing!

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello all

Moving here was easy, buying a house was easy, in fact a lot of it was easy but there are difficult parts.

Language - yep we don't speak Malay or Chinese so that is challenging, especially when you really want to get something or make it happen, but that is the challenge of living somewhere new.

Quality of building work - so far it has been a real headache, workers don't turn up, don't work properly (long breaks) and the quality is not good. Somehow I believe that good work, good quality in a timely manner is possible but to achieve this somewhere we need to be able to tell of good and bad experiences with different contractors - a method of accountability ?? Great plant people at 1º 29' 27.89", 103º 39' 36.03" and ask for Jos Hua.:smile:

Finding stuff: this is seriously hard sometimes. If you search the web then there you will find only a small handful of companies that have bothered to list themselves and what they do. I have been trying to find a timber merchant as I want to make some things and I still haven't succeeded - CAN ANYONE HELP :confused:

Yeh, that's where the fun (or not depending) begins. I also have this same problem as I am planning to have interior design and reno works in the year to come once the keys handover is officiated. My take is to search blogs about people's reno process. I came across this blog who talked about good work done by a contractor located at bukit indah perhaps you can try. Type setia eco gardens johor renovation on google. Btw not related to them at all just point a direction you can take since I spend countless hours on the web looking for such info. Anywayz, even if you can find a website, I found out they copy each other in design and content and use really bad English back to square one...

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
My house at ST comes with free kitchen cabinets. This is the company that does the cabinet work for ST. The interior designer lady I find her very experienced. She can suggest to me where to put what and and where to put switches and lightings. I got her to introduce me the electricity and the ceiling. The price were reasonable too. If you need I can give you her handphone. Just PM me.

PS: I do not have anything to gain from this. Just helping out.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeh, that's where the fun (or not depending) begins. I also have this same problem as I am planning to have interior design and reno works in the year to come once the keys handover is officiated. My take is to search blogs about people's reno process. I came across this blog who talked about good work done by a contractor located at bukit indah perhaps you can try. Type setia eco gardens johor renovation on google. Btw not related to them at all just point a direction you can take since I spend countless hours on the web looking for such info. Anywayz, even if you can find a website, I found out they copy each other in design and content and use really bad English back to square one...

Yeah. Its their culture. Owners will wait a long long time for other owner to finish their reno. Then visit each other to copy designs. Most of the time its the owner wanting certain design. Just last week, my neighbour wanted to come into my house to see our reno. Can you imagine I have gotten my keys since April last year? Too bad my reno was still not finished.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah i cant imagine the kids having to spend a whole day outside with lengthy travelling just cause of my selfish interest of wanting to stay in JB.

same dilemma here.... kids late going to school.... its v tough for the kids to travel in and out... pity on those kids wake up so early in the morning nd reach home so late...

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey hey hey...

Where did i say i like Toll? I inserted a frown next to it to clearly indicate my dislike for it.

Wish i was the UMNO big fish. I wont be here in this forum then...:biggrin:

why u like TOLL???
are u one of the local umno big fish??? haha:biggrin: only them like toll.... its strange that u want toll at coastal highway....

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow you really so helpful Grago.

Grago which church do you visit? I go to the Immaculate HEart of Mary at Jln Gereja (hope i got the name right) and the Sacred Heart of JEsus church at Taman Sentosa.

Thanks atleast now i know where to get my Hottickets. Thanks again

Just got back from JB. Plaza Pelangi along Jalan Tebrau has the hotticket your looking for. I reloaded my Maxis prepaid. :smile:

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello all

Anybody got an idea of a sensible place to start a practical forum for new residents in Nusajaya.

Thanks all

Forum? Here is the place. :smile:

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tong Carriage is reasonably priced and good.

Just check the condition of your goods upon receipt in Malaysia. While the spore side do a decent job in packing and moving your stuff, you might face problems from the MAlaysia counterparts of Tong Carriage. I had a few damaged articles.

I just hope they will be careful with my tv and PS3... Its really hard to prove they damaged it during moving and they may not admit also...

Hope the items gets there safely....

RafflesTiger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude read up my recent posts on the Internet connectivity.

There is no free lunch mate. The suggestion that the modem is yours if you terminate after 10 days (possibly yours but you will have to pay for it)

Most importantly check if your area is covered by 3G/HSDPA. I think at the moment Celcom/Maxis is pretty reliable. I tried Maxis really fast and i use the Maxis prepaid service. Quite Good, stable connection and great download speeds in my humble opinion and experience.

Atleast the one who is fussy (my wife) has stopped complaining. PReviously i tried DIGI (They had only GPRS coverage for my area). The download took forever

Celcom is the only one that does not have to pay deposit for foreigner right? They also say no contract and no termination..... Maxis need to pay 300rm deposit...

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you imagine I have gotten my keys since April last year? Too bad my reno was still not finished.

:eek: that's a good half a year & more! is there any time clause on reno contract where the contractor has to finish otherwise they pay compensation or something? hmmm I really got to choose wisely. I have half the mind to ask for ID services from SG...

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow you really so helpful Grago.

Grago which church do you visit? I go to the Immaculate HEart of Mary at Jln Gereja (hope i got the name right) and the Sacred Heart of JEsus church at Taman Sentosa.

Thanks atleast now i know where to get my Hottickets. Thanks again

No problem, glad to help out. Wuqi ( pointed the way ) and a couple of you guys restored the faith. Used to, to both BUT not anymore. By the by, it's the Church of the Immaculate Conception....... your not far off.....:wink:

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
:eek: that's a good half a year & more! is there any time clause on reno contract where the contractor has to finish otherwise they pay compensation or something? hmmm I really got to choose wisely. I have half the mind to ask for ID services from SG...

Hmmm... other than the ID guy i reckon the people who do the job would be local... from my recollection in my 2 renovation experiences in SG, one of which involved an ID guy... the people on the ground doing the job were all from JB.

Also contractual terms mean very little in JB given the bureaucracy. These are some of the things you need to bear with here, but it can be minimised by using someone referred. There are decent people out there. When you find one please recommend to me in 2 years time :-p

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
ID services from Spore will stick to time but will cost you a helluva lot more dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.