• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Little know Olympic fact, S'pore robbed Canada of Silver medal

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In any case, the main thing is that there seems to be no public acknowledgement at all by any official sports body on this rescue, and therefore no gratitude shown by orgs. that represent singapore in sports. This is very poor form, no doubt about it.
I agree with you 101% on this.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The reports stated siew was waving for help and the Canadian shouted to him to confirm if help is needed right?
Siew is shameful and disgraceful....throw away all your medals lah....resign as sailing chief if you got any trace of decency left....PTUI!

FAct of the matter is that this rescue has far reaching consequences. Even the sports bodies in Singapore must understand this, It was likely that SIngapore would return from the Seoul Olympics with no medals, but 1 or possibly 2 dead bodies of their national heroes. Imagine the shock, and grief for the country.

If Siew had drowned, there would have been no silver medal for singapore in the 1994 Asian Games (which he won with a new partner Charles Lim), as well as win sportsman of the year award.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Hi all, I am UpperFirstState and I take offence at the inconsistency and hypocrisy of FirstState.

Just producing an Old ST grainy article qualifies for 'seeing from both sides'?
Why stop at both, why not three, four, all sides ? Be consistent in your dour logic, dude!

How to rely just on an ST article, why not from other news sources? Surely, even your stubborn doggedness, not because you didnt try but they can't be found becauselittle was written!

Capsized, high seas, choppy water, rescued! Rescuer as a result won Olympic Sportmanship Medal from International President .... Surely newsworthy enough to follow up with the said sailors for human interest and educating sportsman and public on sportmanship.... no? Not newsworthy?

How facile is your logic FirstState! You expect the article to reflect and print : both rescued are not grateful and think the Canandian had nothing better to do and saving them is his mission on earth.... Sheesh!

To me: the crux is a crying lack of Grace in Singapore Society - as personified in the Siew/Chan episode, the lack of courtesy and class/breeding from sports org leaders and finally in this thread here: lack of grace from Righteous Hero FirstState.

He gets so flustered that he start to behave like the kettles he called black here.... His abusive language, insults just show he is fucking no different from all the namecalling he bestowed on those who ticked him off.

His fixation on this word 'inflammatory' -

Asshole, you are the one inflamed, not others

thicken your skin, stay cool and exchange, a topic like this & you already called it 'inflammatory' , cant stand the heat, get putta kitchen but strangely, it was not hot in the firststate, sorry, in the first place.

Yes, agree with u on all counts. It really reflects poorly on social etiquette in singapore, and even worse on govt, agencies. Lemieux had nothing to gain by going to the aid of the sinkies saliors, and everything to lose. Even the IOC recognize his sacrifice, WOULD IT KILL ANY ONE SINGAPORE SPORTS ORG. TO DO THE SAME. Again, I lay the blame partly on Chan/Siew. I cannot believe that if a famous sports figure like Siew went to the SSC and ask them to publicly recognize Lemieux, SSC would have said "no" to him? SO, he is an ingrate too.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Again, I lay the blame partly on Chan/Siew. I cannot believe that if a famous sports figure like Siew went to the SSC and ask them to publicly recognize Lemieux, SSC would have said "no" to him? SO, he is an ingrate too.

All from the same mould la...
You die your business, you saved me lost medal also your own business...
Class, Grace, Sportmanship, Gratitude....simi lan lai eh? Can eat bo? Got money take?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It really reflects poorly on social etiquette in singapore, and even worse on govt, agencies. ...WOULD IT KILL ANY ONE SINGAPORE SPORTS ORG. TO DO THE SAME....would have said "no" to him? SO, he is an ingrate too.
Ingrate a little too strong imho, but i see yr point & i fully concur.

The Singaporean as inadvertently produced by this regime is a :
super-righteous world-class intellectual manager
who thinks everything in life is hard-work, effort, no-nonsense (nothing wrong in themselves per se)
letter-perfect,
anti-chaos,
allergic to anything non-clinically,
quick to conclude foul-play in others : a reflection of insecurity within,
very good in analyzing the trees to the extend of missing the whole forest
under-siege mentality (no free lunch! world no owe us a living! better/cheaper/faster )

of all the above, self-righteous is worst : believe me, I know. Look at all my qualifications, look at all my experience, look at my impecable track record - so no need to talk, no need to even evaluate leow... you work yourself to my level then you talk to me. If not, know your place. I know better, in fact I know best.

And because I tell you I am so good, I will let nothing diminish me in the public eye. We are not the West, where public leaders are treated with derision & contempt. No, I maintain our high standing.

SO, if anything were to diminish my record, I will do damage control. No, I don't lie, I just choose not to tell the truth, NOT the full truth anyway.

I will press ahead, I will move on. I will always remake, review, transform, rethink, ask to engage, ask for feedback blah blah blah ....
but wait, why can't you all see my sincerity, always pricking my balloon...
you MUST have an agenda, you rumor mongers, keyboard cowards in cyberspace etc etc

Don't disagree with me, I CHALLENGE YOU, where are YOUR FATS, sorry, FACTS!
See my FACTS, my EVIDENCE, my HOMEWORK, my STATISTICS, my....
I CHALLENGE YOU, I SUE YOU, I see you in COURT, I will form a Committee to Investigate etc etc

The self-righteousness of it all stinks.

So, it is all about an ungrateful, ingratiate populace who need spurs up their rear.
It is all about this younger generation too critical, too choosy, too hmm chye see, all these see gheen na !

SSC / Sports Org bosses from the worst of them in human terms such as ex-SAAA Loh Lin Kok to the colorless appointed political commissars like Lee Bee Wah, Teo Chong Tee, Abbu Abbas, Lim Swee Say (Badminton), Choo Wee Kok (Bee Wah's predecessor) etc etc.

Pure play FAS Presidents of yesteryears such as the Ganesan Era (he bring on Uncle Choo as National Coach after Trevor Hartley, and the rest as they say is folklore) ...

GRACE

Not Grace Fu.

But Grace as in doing the decent thing, being human, being understanding, fuck KPIs sometimes, going for the heart, relac relac don't always so fucking ramrod stiff & humorless ...

No soul, No spark, No spontenaity, No creativitiy, No spirit ...

surely the solution is NOT just to work harder to get these.

Just Value those qualities for a start,

They are actually above all the things mercenary - the price mechanism can only do so much to balance out demand & supply, scarcity & choice ...

But the human spirit is the source of all good outcomes.

Back to this Thread Theme, whatever Siew/Chan fail to do is not criminal but a very lamentable symptom of what this society has become & will continue to become now with the influx of many new citizens and their ways.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>> WOULD IT KILL ANY ONE SINGAPORE SPORTS ORG. TO DO THE SAME. Again, I lay the blame partly on Chan/Siew. I cannot believe that if a famous sports figure like Siew went to the SSC and ask them to publicly recognize Lemieux, SSC would have said "no" to him? SO, he is an ingrate too<<

I'm sure it's still not too late to make amends...both sailors can, as they say, do the right thing and be a man for this grave remiss. I mean, it's not that onerous for SSC to fly lemieux over and fete him with the 2 blokes present and just give him recognition? Being the senior of the 2, siew can / must take the initiative to clear his conscience (if he has one)...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
>> WOULD IT KILL ANY ONE SINGAPORE SPORTS ORG. TO DO THE SAME. Again, I lay the blame partly on Chan/Siew. I cannot believe that if a famous sports figure like Siew went to the SSC and ask them to publicly recognize Lemieux, SSC would have said "no" to him? SO, he is an ingrate too<<

I'm sure it's still not too late to make amends...both sailors can, as they say, do the right thing and be a man for this grave remiss. I mean, it's not that onerous for SSC to fly lemieux over and fete him with the 2 blokes present and just give him recognition? Being the senior of the 2, siew can / must take the initiative to clear his conscience (if he has one)...

Its not too LATE, but since when has doing the right thing be a characteristic of the singapore way or mindset? They better do it soon, Lemieux is not getting any younger. If these assholes can spend $600 million on YOG, they surely can spend $6000 to get him here and put him up in nice hotel.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its not too LATE, but since when has doing the right thing be a characteristic of the singapore way or mindset? They better do it soon, Lemieux is not getting any younger. If these assholes can spend $600 million on YOG, they surely can spend $6000 to get him here and put him up in nice hotel.

Yup, shaw her better make it soon before lemieux joins davy in atlantis...:*:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Little known Olympic fact, S'pore robbed Canada of Silver medal

In the 1988 Seoul Olympics, Canadian Lawrence Lemieux was competing in the Finn class sailing competition off Pusan. Finn class is for solo sailors. Nearby in the another course was the 470 class competition which features 2 men crew. The wind was quite strong that day, and the Singapore pair of Joseph Chan and Shaw Her SIew was competing in this class. Chan and Shaw kept capsizing in the rough seas, and in one final capsize, one of them was in the water and the other was under the capsized boat and appeared injured.

At this point, Lemieux spotted their predicament from his adjoining course, and veered off his course in the middle of his race to rescue them. He pulled them out of the water one by one and waited for the patrol boat to pick up the 2 wet sinkies. According to Lemieux, "The Singapore rescue boats were, quite frankly, useless.'' Of course, by this time, he had lost all chances of medalling. He was in second place when he did it, and was a favourite to medal in this event. Because of his sportsmanship in rescuing 2 wet dog incompetent sinkies, the IOC President, Samanrach, at that time awarded him the Pierre de Coubertin medal for outstanding sportmanship.

To this day, there is no public record of SIngapore Sports council ever acknowledging the rescue, and thanking Lemieux for saving two drowning sinkies. In fact, Shaw Her SIew is chairman of the SIngapore Sailing federation, and occasionally runs into Lemieux at international meetings, but bor chap him and never kept in touch with him. I would rather give $250k to someone who has done the country a real service by saving 2 sinkies over a PRC mercenary. He should have been invited to singapore, and feted, and treated as a hero here. But I am sure the singapore sports council is very embarassed over this incident and hushed it up. I remember this incident back in 1988, I recall the sailors were simply listed as having capsized and did not finish the course. No mention was made of their rescue by an another sailor from canada. SHaw better go and prostrate himself in front of Lemieux and offer prayers to him for saving his life 20 years ago.

Any chance of any sinkie olympian showing this level of sportmanship? Hahahaha, hell will freeze over first, followed by Old Goat returning all the money he stole, before that happens.

CCB Singapore Olympic committee bring shame to SG. Now news is out . SG gov in 1988 should givve him the medal of sportsmanship and courage.
Make mistake dont admit and still want to cover up.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lawrence Lemieux (born November 12, 1955 in Edmonton, Alberta) is a Canadian sailor, who competed at the 1984 Summer Olympics in the Star Class and at the 1988 Summer Olympics in the Finn class.

Lemieux grew up sailing on Wabamun Lake west of Edmonton with his five older brothers. He began racing solo boats in the 1970s. [1]

On September 24, 1988, the sailing competition was underway at Pusan, 450 kilometers from South Korea's capital of Seoul, the main Olympic site. It suddenly became very windy, escalating from 15 to 35 knots. In the 470 class, Singapore sailors Joseph Chan and Siew Shaw Her were thrown into the rough water. They were injured and unable to right their damaged boat.[1]

Lemieux was sailing alone near the halfway point in his race on the nearby Finn class race course. He was in second place in the fifth of a seven-race event. Upon seeing the capsized crew, Lemieux broke away and sailed to rescue them. After he rescued Chan and Siew, he waited for and transferred the two sailors onto an official patrol boat. He then finished 22nd in his race.

Notably, the rescue was never mentioned in the Singapore media because it was deemed an embarrassment for Singapore's Olympic effort. Soon after the race, the jury of the International Yacht Racing Union unanimously decided that Lemieux should be awarded second place, the position he was in when he went to the aid of the Singapore crew.

At the medal awards ceremony, Juan Antonio Samaranch, President of the International Olympic Committee, awarded Lemieux the Pierre de Coubertin Medal for Sportsmanship; only 11 of these have been awarded since it was launched in 1964.[1] "By your sportsmanship, self-sacrifice and courage," said Samaranch, "you embody all that is right with the Olympic ideal."

Lemieux has since retired from professional sailing and is now a coach.[1] He is currently living at Seba Beach, Alberta. Asked in a 2012 interview if he would rather be talking about the medal he might have won instead of the rescue, Lemieux referred to sailing's lack of a high media profile: “You spend your life working really hard internationally and you get very few accolades. So that’s the ironic thing; 25 years after this rescue, we’re still talking about it.”[1

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

now that the oct-1988 st article is cited, although not authored by a local writer, "the rescue was never mentioned in the singapore media" comment is false. we need to address facts and not get carried away with political agendas and personal vendettas. someone here is gonna blame it on the pap and george bush. :rolleyes:

chorut

Alfrescian
Loyal

now that the oct-1988 st article is cited, although not authored by a local writer, "the rescue was never mentioned in the singapore media" comment is false. we need to address facts and not get carried away with political agendas and personal vendettas. someone here is gonna blame it on the pap and george bush. :rolleyes:

Agree. There was no cover up, no hush-hush or attempt to hide the facts in the singapore media and there is absolutely no evidence that the two sailors never show gratitude. It happened two decades ago. No one knows if the 2 sailors and Lawrence had eventually met and maybe had fostered a lasting relationship or went their own ways. Only God knows, frankly. Why're we so concerned about their personal relationships with each other after so many years? Something fishy and unsavory going on, I suppose. Like what? Do show the facts, not the fiction.

Firststate is stating the obvious, even though he has not much support but he has the historical facts right and the ST article he dug out from 1988 is proof that singapore media never try to hush hush the rescue. The contents of the ST article also tell you that both sailors had thanked Lawrence for the rescue. So, what is the issue, what political agendas and personal vendettas are carried away here, folks? Not enough gratitude shown or what? C'mon, who are you to say what is the right publicity and the right degree of appreciation for a rescue?

The ST article also says that Lawrence did not lose his 2nd position in the race, as he was re-instated. So, he got his silver medal. He was not robbed of his medal! No robbery was committed. What robbery? Where? How?

Well, Lawrence did not lose anything. He also said that he was remembered and honored for his rescue even now after two decades while those who won medals are forgotten. So, he actually said he gained more honor and recognition by the rescue. He's now a hero, not just an Olympic medal winner. So, what's the issue here?

Another thing, it happened two decades ago. What transpired till the present, only the 3 of them know. Fortunately, all three of them are still alive. Whoever interested enough in the tiny personal details of the rescue and all that, can check with each of them instead of relying on Wikipedia or the forums and blogs, which we know is not always reliable nor factual. Nicole Seah already said it. Be responsible on the internet. Don't anyhow write rubbish. The internet is a useful tool but also we need to be factual, responsible and accountable when we write anything if we want readers to respect and agree with you. Agree?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Agree. There was no cover up, no hush-hush or attempt to hide the facts in the singapore media and there is absolutely no evidence that the two sailors never show gratitude. It happened two decades ago. No one knows if the 2 sailors and Lawrence had eventually met and maybe had fostered a lasting relationship or went their own ways. Only God knows, frankly. Why're we so concerned about their personal relationships with each other after so many years? Something fishy and unsavory going on, I suppose. Like what? Do show the facts, not the fiction.

U need to read all the articles and clippings and posts probably before u shoot your mouth off. The article in the Straits Times was written not by an ST reporter, but a freelancer and it was written outside the country. Only Joe Chan was interviewed by the foreign journalist, and not Siew or any other sports official. In my opinion, this article slip the ST internal censorship, they pulled it off the wire, and ran with it. The fact that after so many years, this is STILL THE ONLY KNOWN ST ARTICLE, versus the many articles on this rescue, written by many other news companies outside singapore (the latest of which was June 2012, screams bloody cover up to me. How come not one official from the Ministry, SOC, SSF, etc. made one interview to ST? Imagine their 2 star sailors was plucked from the jaws of death, and they have NO COMMENTS? How is it possible that the international press is more interested than and still writing articles about the rescue of 2 sinkie sailors than our own press? Its a cover up, plain and simple. With the set up they have at ST today, their editors would have caught this, and never have run that article in today's day and age.

Firststate is stating the obvious, even though he has not much support but he has the historical facts right and the ST article he dug out from 1988 is proof that singapore media never try to hush hush the rescue. The contents of the ST article also tell you that both sailors had thanked Lawrence for the rescue. So, what is the issue, what political agendas and personal vendettas are carried away here, folks? Not enough gratitude shown or what? C'mon, who are you to say what is the right publicity and the right degree of appreciation for a rescue?

Now you are beginning to sound like a fucking cheebye apologist for FirstShit. Cheebye Firstshit initally denied the whole incident even took place and wanted to email Siew to confirm that the events occured. Read his post # 8. So, his historical facts were all wrong in the first place. than when it was overwhelmingly pointed out to him that the rescue actually took place, he changed his tune to one of "no cover up". Now u are saying the 2 sailors thanked Lemuiex and that's the end of that. Let me explain something simply to you. If these 2 idiots were on holiday in South Korea, took a boat out on the water, and capsized and were rescued by Lemieux, how they thank him or whether they thank him or not, I don't care. They were there on their personal business. But these 2 were representing SIngapore in a major sporting event with the entire world press present. Everything they do or did not do reflects on SIngapore. U are damn fucking right there was not enough gratitude shown, especially by the official sports bodies of SIngapore. I want the whole world to see what a gracious and grateful people singaporeans are after we shower thanks and accolade on Lemiuex. This got happen or not. For your info, there is no personal agenda. I don't know Joe Chan, Siew, or Lemieux. But I know ungratefulness when I see it.

The ST article also says that Lawrence did not lose his 2nd position in the race, as he was re-instated. So, he got his silver medal. He was not robbed of his medal! No robbery was committed. What robbery? Where? How?

No dumbshit, read the articles again. He was re-instated in the race, not in his position of 2nd place. He finished in 22nd because he stopped to rescue them. He never got the Silver medal. when u leave the course, u are supposed to be disqualifed. They only reinstate his final position in the course. So, he was robbed. If he had not stopped, he would have gotten silver. But than, we would have 1 or 2 dead sailors flying back to singapore in coffins. In many of the articles, he was asked whether he regretted NOT getting a silver. We know u are sorry shit apologist, but get the facts right, it really makes u look like a fucktard when I shoot your story full of holes.

Well, Lawrence did not lose anything. He also said that he was remembered and honored for his rescue even now after two decades while those who won medals are forgotten. So, he actually said he gained more honor and recognition by the rescue. He's now a hero, not just an Olympic medal winner. So, what's the issue here?

Another thing, it happened two decades ago. What transpired till the present, only the 3 of them know. Fortunately, all three of them are still alive. Whoever interested enough in the tiny personal details of the rescue and all that, can check with each of them instead of relying on Wikipedia or the forums and blogs, which we know is not always reliable nor factual. Nicole Seah already said it. Be responsible on the internet. Don't anyhow write rubbish. The internet is a useful tool but also we need to be factual, responsible and accountable when we write anything if we want readers to respect and agree with you. Agree?

What transpired between the 3 of them is already in the articles. What has not transpired between the sports authorities and Lemiuex is obvious for all to see.
Please see my reply in blue.

Last edited:

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal

Given an opportunity to win an Olympics gold medal or the Pierre de Coubertin, I'll take the latter any time, for only 11 heroes embodied this rare Olympics spirit and you're forever famous after receiving the Pierre de Coubertin medal.

Frankly, does anyone of you remember who won the Finn dinghy race in Seoul?

My bet is not many, if any, remember a race in a dinghy. What? A dinghy? Sorry, didn't even know such a dinghy race can make it into the Olympics. LMAO!!

chorut

Alfrescian
Loyal

How can one say Lawrence Lemieux was robbed? If he had completed all the races, he may win a medal or he may not. No one will ever know as he did not complete the race. He had an outside chance of a medal, but not a guaranteed chance. So, one cannot say he was robbed, surely not. His position in the 5th race was reinstated as second place for him, before he rescued the 2 Sinkie bozos. What is considered ROBBED of a gold medal is the case of the female Korean fencer Shin Ah-Lam, but not the case of Lawrence Lemieux.

Source: http://theconversation.edu.au/better-than-gold-the-real-value-of-the-olympic-games-8756
At the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea, Canadian sailor Lawrence Lemieux was racing alone near the halfway point in his Finn class race. He was in second place in a seven-race event when he spotted two Singapore sailors in the water who were both injured and unable to right their boat.

Lemieux broke away and sailed to rescue them , waited for an official patrol boat and then transferred the two sailors. He continued his race and finished in 22nd place. After the race the International Yacht Racing Union jury awarded him second place – his position when he went to the aid of the capsized crew.

Source: http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainm...ional-Olympic-Moments.aspx?p=10#ixzz23PR0btMq
Lemieux was in second place during his race when he saw two sailors from the Singaporean team in another race fall into the water. Lemieux rowed over and rescued the sailors, hauling them into his small boat. Though he was out of contention, he finished his race after an official boat picked up the sailors. But the Olympics committee awarded him an honorary second-place finish. IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch said, "By your sportsmanship, self-sacrifice and courage, you embody all that is right with the Olympic ideal." Lemieux was not a big name, but his act of bravery brought honor to the Games.

Source: http://www.classefinn.it/finnatics/eng/hisfinn21_4.html
Another Finn sailor to get a medal was Larry Lemieux who gave up a good position in the fifth race to rescue a Singapore 470 sailor from the water after he had lost contact with his boat. He was awarded a silver medal for this feat.

South Korean fencer robbed from gold medal; London 2012
c16229.jpg

chorut

Alfrescian
Loyal

@Papsmearer, stop being so hot-headed, petty and vindictive and anyhow say others are Firststate's apologists. He just suggested emailing the concerned parties to find out the truth, which is the proper thing to do, instead of guessing this and that on the forum and start imagining things. The story of Seoul, 1988 is all over the web, and rehashed over and over on the internet over the years. Justa simple googling and you can find tons of the news of the rescue. So, I really don't think Firststate is denying that the rescue ever happened. I believe what he's taking issue is the gist of the part of your post which says the 2 Sinkie bozos showed ingratitude and media hushed up the whole matter, as suggested in your post...as below:

To this day, there is no public record of SIngapore Sports council ever acknowledging the rescue, and thanking Lemieux for saving two drowning sinkies. In fact, Shaw Her SIew is chairman of the SIngapore Sailing federation, and occasionally runs into Lemieux at international meetings, but bor chap him and never kept in touch with him. I would rather give $250k to someone who has done the country a real service by saving 2 sinkies over a PRC mercenary. He should have been invited to singapore, and feted, and treated as a hero here. But I am sure the singapore sports council is very embarassed over this incident and hushed it up.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Given an opportunity to win an Olympics gold medal or the Pierre de Coubertin, I'll take the latter any time, for only 11 heroes embodied this rare Olympics spirit and you're forever famous after receiving the Pierre de Coubertin medal.

Frankly, does anyone of you remember who won the Finn dinghy race in Seoul?

My bet is not many, if any, remember a race in a dinghy. What? A dinghy? Sorry, didn't even know such a dinghy race can make it into the Olympics. LMAO!!

U can win a gold medal but you cannot win the Pierre de Coubertin. That medal has to be awarded to you by the International Olympic Committee and no doubt their standard is very stringent as only 11 people have won it. If you are looking to get famous by winning it, it can't be done.