• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Let single daughter buy HDB flat

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,204158,00.html?

STREET TALK
By Reggie J

June 06, 2009

THIS is a personal plea, but it may well be that many others will benefit, if the authorities see it my way.

My younger daughter is 28. She is gainfully employed, has several years of CPF to her name and being frugal, has savings as well. She earns less than $8,000 a month.

But she has to share a rented flat with two others. She cannot buy a new HDB unit.

And that is just because she is single.

It seems there are thousands of new HDB homes that have not been sold, mainly because these are not in locations that buyers want.

Under the present rules, singles under 35 cannot buy these flats.

So, what is a girl to do? Go out, find a boyfriend and marry in haste so that she can own a home? And then what? Repent at leisure in 5-room comfort?

Thankfully, I believe my daughter is more discerning than that.

But I wonder about the need to own a home. How big a role does it play when Singapore couples decide to take the plunge?

The policy of linking marital status to home ownership may have been designed to nudge people towards settling down and starting a family.

But is it possible that it is also nudging, even in a small way, those not really meant for each other into getting married?

Is it too far fetched to think that our rising divorce rate may have something to do with this?

Perhaps it is. But I feel someone could still do a study on whether the policy has had this unintended consequence, whether using housing as a tool to get more people to marry is leading to more divorces as well.

Be that as it may, here is my plea.

Why not allow younger singles - at least those who are employed and have CPF - to buy HDB flats that have already been offered to families and have not been taken up?

Think of the benefits. It may help to keep these individuals - many of them talented and with the drive to succeed - more rooted to Singapore.

It may even stimulate the economy. Plumbers, electricians, tilers, furniture retailers and the like will get more business as these flats are taken up.

So it is over to you, HDB.

Please give some thought to why my daughter has to pay rent for seven more years, when she can instead be enjoying a cosy little 3-roomer somewhere.

What do you say?

The writer is a former Singaporean marketing professional.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Under the present rules, singles under 35 cannot buy these flats.

So, what is a girl to do? Go out, find a boyfriend and marry in haste so that she can own a home? And then what? Repent at leisure in 5-room comfort?

very discerning indeed! ...

how abt asking ur dotter 2 grow o faster? ... :rolleyes:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My younger daughter is 28. she has to share a rented flat with two others. She cannot buy a new HDB unit.

292xq54.jpg

"Aiya whats the problem... just sit on the shelf and wait to be 35 years of age lor"

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been renting for 3 yrs, whereas my PR colleagues already bought their HDB shoeboxes.

Fuck PAP.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
vote in 10 or more opposition and then maybe the pap will listen... meanwhile just enjoy the shit pap dishes out to sinkees day in, day out... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why not allow younger singles - at least those who are employed and have CPF - to buy HDB flats that have already been offered to families and have not been taken up?

This is typical Sinkee mentality believing in unnecessary govt regulation. She believed that HDB should allow young singles who are employed and have CPF to buy flats that have already been offered to families and have not been taken up.

Why not allow any person to buy provided that he/she can pay for the flat in a non-discriminatory & truly free market way regardless of age, gender, marital status, employment status, CPF status, religion, race, socioeconomic status, etc..? An example of an unemployed single under 35 who can buy is when his/her parents will pay for the flat in cash for him/her.

No wonder Sinkees' personal lives ought to regulated by govt. They ought to be told what they are allowed and/or not allowed to do in their personal lives. At least 66.6% think that way! They can't think out-of-the-box to say the least.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cock. Get your daughter to buy private since she is single. Studio apartment is only around 400K plus. If singles start buying HBD, the market price for HDB will go up and more sinkie will suffer. Most Singaporean's mind is so narrow, it is all about themselves...

STREET TALK
By Reggie J

June 06, 2009

THIS is a personal plea, but it may well be that many others will benefit, if the authorities see it my way.

My younger daughter is 28. She is gainfully employed, has several years of CPF to her name and being frugal, has savings as well. She earns less than $8,000 a month.

But she has to share a rented flat with two others. She cannot buy a new HDB unit.

It seems there are thousands of new HDB homes that have not been sold, mainly because these are not in locations that buyers want.

Under the present rules, singles under 35 cannot buy these flats.

But I wonder about the need to own a home. How big a role does it play when Singapore couples decide to take the plunge?

The policy of linking marital status to home ownership may have been designed to nudge people towards settling down and starting a family.

But is it possible that it is also nudging, even in a small way, those not really meant for each other into getting married?

Is it too far fetched to think that our rising divorce rate may have something to do with this?

Perhaps it is. But I feel someone could still do a study on whether the policy has had this unintended consequence, whether using housing as a tool to get more people to marry is leading to more divorces as well.

Be that as it may, here is my plea.

Think of the benefits. It may help to keep these individuals - many of them talented and with the drive to succeed - more rooted to Singapore.

It may even stimulate the economy. Plumbers, electricians, tilers, furniture retailers and the like will get more business as these flats are taken up.

So it is over to you, HDB.

Please give some thought to why my daughter has to pay rent for seven more years, when she can instead be enjoying a cosy little 3-roomer somewhere.

What do you say?

The writer is a former Singaporean marketing professional.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't see a problem with single pple buying HDB flats. I think all sinkees with pink IC should be entitled to buy, and all those stupid rules about income limit, HDB loan period etc. should be removed. One rule for all.

After comparing the lifestyles of sinkees and 1st world citizens, i realise that a big mental liability is caused by living with parents till you're old. Ang mors can leave their parents at 16, becos of cheap housing or college, and are forced to make decisions on their own. Sinkees are forever struggling with simple decisions and need to ask their parents/govt for advice.

So sinkees should have the chance to move out at 18 or 21, and grow up!

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vote in 10 or more opposition and then maybe the pap will listen...

That's the solution to most of our major problems-to have a change of government and therefore new policies that will give citizens what's rightfully theirs.

The solution is natural and simple-citizens should be first followed by PR's and then lastly foreigners-whether its for jobs.flats, schools, sports or anything.
Her daughter cannot get the flat because PR's are in the queue in front of her ( by virtue of other rules).

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is typical Sinkee mentality believing in unnecessary govt regulation. She believed that HDB should allow young singles who are employed and have CPF to buy flats that have already been offered to families and have not been taken up.

Why not allow any person to buy provided that he/she can pay for the flat in a non-discriminatory & truly free market way regardless of age, gender, marital status, employment status, CPF status, religion, race, socioeconomic status, etc..? An example of an unemployed single under 35 who can buy is when his/her parents will pay for the flat in cash for him/her.

No wonder Sinkees' personal lives ought to regulated by govt. They ought to be told what they are allowed and/or not allowed to do in their personal lives. At least 66.6% think that way! They can't think out-of-the-box to say the least.
They scared rich gangsters like John tan may corner HDB by block buying and then rent out.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cb ,he should ask his daughter buy a pte property, maybe the daughter rent a rm outside with bf, maybe she not paying rent due St's, free n the bf fuck her everyday as room rentals,knn, selfish cb person