• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Kuan Yew just wanna uproot Singapore culture

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
English as 2nd language is suffice for interracial communication. Imposing English as first language policy in a country with population 97% Asian and 75% Chinese, if thats not tyranny and discrimination against Asian language and Asian culture, I don't know what is.

Lets get this straight. Even though Lee Kuan Yew encourage people to speak mandarin, his language policies stays. And mandarin usage has keep on dropping. So what does it say? He just pay lip service encourage people to speak mandarin. No policies come up by the PAP govt to boost the usage of mandarin. Which says Lee Kuan Yew is not sincere in encouraging people to speak mandarin.

PAP had benefit from the usage of dialect in the early days. PAP use dialect to reach out to the mass. Even till GE2006, PAP still use dialect to reach out to the people during campaign speech. So it is VERY UNGRATEFUL AND HYPOCRITICAL of the PAP, to try and abandon dialect, even though PAP had been benefit by the language. ITS UNETHICAL FOR THE PAP TO SNUFF THE LIFE OUT OF THE LANGUAGE WHICH HAD SERVE THEM ALL ALONG.

Furthermore, dialect is one of the pillar, foundation of Singapore culture. To abandon dialect, thats trying to knock off the foundation of Singapore culture. Thats unethical, unscrupulous behavior of the PAP.

Its not a zero sum game between dialect and mandarin. But the PAP such as Lee Kuan Yew, try to paint the picture that it is a zero sum game between those two spoken languages. But everywhere in the Chinese populated region (Hong Kong, Taiwan, PRC), mandarin and dialect co-exist together. No problem with that. SO WHY IS IT A PROBLEM WITH LEE KUAN YEW? IT JUST SHOW THAT HE IS SERIOUSLY BIAS AGAINST DIALECT, HE SERIOUSLY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST DIALECT.

The main reason of making English as 1st language I think is due to the fact that it is an international language. Our great Legend Lee Kuan Yew does not want to purely based on the majority population and made that language spoken by the majority as 1st language as it will be unfair to the other racial groups. As you know Singapore is a multi-racial society, our great PAP want every racial group to make friends and live together peacefully with one another. So it was a smart and great move to set English, the international language as 1st language, allowing every racial groups to communicate with one another.
We still have our mother tongue 2nd languages practiced in schools and our great PAP government has always been encouraging us to master both our 1st and 2nd language well. There is no doubt that our great PAP government has always done a great job for us all. We should be proud to have such great government behind us. 3 cheers for our great PAP. :smile:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
mind if i ask you, are u a WP supporter?

I don't know why you want to know my political alignment and here goes:

Firstly I do not align myself with PAP because they are pure marketing gimmick and lacks the real substance. Joining them only means that you let them drag you by the nose and no question asked.

I definitely don't align myself with SDP. Its a bunch of idiots trying to go loggerhead with the Garment. This group fails in terms of Sunzi Art of War. They neglect the principle that they are on the weaker side and will sure lose in a head on collision with the system.

I do not really align myself with SDA, the coallision is weak and lacks direction. They are only in the playiong field base on one thrump card, Chiam See Tong. Minus CST and there is nothing much to look forward to. In this I mean the lacks of drive to growth.

I do not align with WP. They have visions, in fact their manifesto impressed me. But they lack determination to to push through their manifesto. I don't really see them breaking out of the usual shell. Worse still is their lack of energy to create a multi-racial party and nurturing the next generation of leaders in their midst.

So if come to election, I will only align with the party which align most with my beliefs and values. Just to let you know, my constituency is competed by SDA and PAP.

eric_vader

The main reason of making English as 1st language I think is due to the fact that it is an international language. Our great Legend Lee Kuan Yew does not want to purely based on the majority population and made that language spoken by the majority as 1st language as it will be unfair to the other racial groups. As you know Singapore is a multi-racial society, our great PAP want every racial group to make friends and live together peacefully with one another. So it was a smart and great move to set English, the international language as 1st language, allowing every racial groups to communicate with one another.
We still have our mother tongue 2nd languages practiced in schools and our great PAP government has always been encouraging us to master both our 1st and 2nd language well. There is no doubt that our great PAP government has always done a great job for us all. We should be proud to have such great government behind us. 3 cheers for our great PAP. :smile:

So You are saying that that by making Singapore a multi-racial country by introducing English as a common language and our respective mother tongues and at the same time dis-promoting dialects is right?

If so, then wouldnt he be creating a singapore with a empty shell? Which is nice, refined, multi-racial on the outside and empty on the inside, not knowing ones culture, not appreciating of ones culture? And isnt KNOWING ONES CULTURE/ ROOTS IMPORTANT?

dis-promoting dialect and encouraging mother tounge is proven to be done simultaneously: 1979 Speak Mandarin campaign. Second last verse" Bu za yong fang yan, da jia shuo hua yu". Meaning no longer using Dialects, everyone speaks mandarin. - from denzuko1 .

Now dont u tell me LKY and his GOVT is great.

eric_vader

I apologize for my repost.

In addition,
"To effectively promote Mandarin, we closed down all dialect programs on radio
and TV from 1979." Quoted from SPEECH BY MR LEE KUAN YEW, MINISTER MENTOR, AT SPEAK MANDARIN CAMPAIGN’S 30TH ANNIVERSARY LAUNCH, 17 MARCH 2009, 5:00 PM AT THE NTUC AUDITORIUM.

From his very own mouth.

In other words, PAP promoted Mandarin at the expense of Dialect.

Destruction of one's cultural roots for mandarin? Great PAP? Think again.