• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Kuan Yew just wanna uproot Singapore culture

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Kuan Yew just wanna uproot Singapore culture. Simple as that.

He ask parents to speak mandarin or english to their kids. But what about the grand parents? Ever occur to him, that many of the old folks are more comfortable with dialect, some of them don't even know how to speak mandarin?

By dissing dialect, clamming down on the usage of dialect, he's in fact cutting off the handing down of values from the old folks to their grand child.

Picture this.

Grand ma: "Ah boy, lai. Mai chug ker. Gua kao tong yeh dum dum." (teochew: ah boy, come here. don't go out, the floor is wet outside.)

Daughter, "aiya mah. don't speak dialect to kid!!!"

grand ma, "......"

ah boy, "ah ma4 (grandma), what did u say?"

grand ma, "....." (keep quiet. speechless....)

Happy??? Everything from Ah Ma4 (grandma) go down toilet bowl, trash bin. All kind of teo chew rhymes, sayings, all go down toilet instead of passing to the grand kid. 'cause Lee Kuan Yew discriminate against dialect.

And the sick part is this. Didn't the PAP use dialect during their early days? Up till now, the PAP still use dialect too during GE isn't it? So the PAP benefit from dialect usage, but nowadays they keep on bashing the dialect, treating dialect as shit??? Isn't that hypocrite, and disgusting behavior of the PAP??

Dialect is one of the foundation of Spore culture here. To talk down and abandon dialect, thats uprooting of Spore culture.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have Indian family who are Tamils, who do not even know a single word of Tamil, but converse with each other in English & Malay..and they can't talk to the older generation... that is the Indian.

Some twenty years back or so, there was this Speak Mandarin Campaign that tell the younger ones to go home, and tell the parents not to speak dialects. This was akin to going home, go to you ancentral tablet & slap your ancestors.

Nothing is really wrong in learning & knowing a common language, where we all can converse in, our dialects, is our heritage. Don;t think the People's Republic of China or Republic of China, will tell their people wo abandon their heritage as in local language & speak ONLY MANDARIN, which, incidentally is another of the Chinese people dialects.

It is rather discomforting to hear sometime of the older generation born before WWII, trying to converse in a dialect (Mandarin), broken , uncomfortable to their grand children!. In which the proper Asian value is that the younger generation must learn to respect & converse with their elders in the dialect, which is their ancentors.

The younger ones, must take pains to learn first to speak to their elders, and then the elders take pains to learn the common denominator language to converse. In this case, one respect our ancestors, keep our heritage & continue this heritage.

Have the people of PRC & ROC.. altogether abandoned their local languages?:confused:

No they are using Ang Moh kia to advertise the speak manadrin Campaign?. like this is some new thing.

To name two notable authoress, who not only speak Chinese, but write in English, and are well know worldwide... Han Suyin & Pearl S, Buck.

We, SINpaporeans... are really 'frogs in a well'... sigh!:eek:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have the people of PRC & ROC.. altogether abandoned their local languages?:confused:

No. PRC and ROC people they don't abandoned their dialect. But Mein Fuhrer Lee Kuan Yew view that mandarin and dialect is zero sum game. And dialect should be abandon, thrown away.

To name two notable authoress, who not only speak Chinese, but write in English, and are well know worldwide... Han Suyin & Pearl S, Buck.
Mein Fuhrer Lee Kuan Yew's grandchild cant do that. Therefore what u said about the ang moh author, to him, it cant be true.

We, SINpaporeans... are really 'frogs in a well'... sigh!:eek:
Mein Fuhrer Lee Kuan Yew is the king frog.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Kuan Yew think all his PAP MPs are multilingual in English & Mandarin & dialects.

Have he ever hear George Yeo, Mah Bow Tan speak Mandarin? :biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Kuan Yew think all his PAP MPs are multilingual in English & Mandarin & dialects.

Have he ever hear George Yeo, Mah Bow Tan speak Mandarin? :biggrin:

Have you heard LHL conversation in Mandarin:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: , have you heard him speak Hakka:biggrin: ..and have you heard him speak English:biggrin:..

or the crying minister with a bad hair day speak, English?:biggrin:...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No. PRC and ROC people they don't abandoned their dialect. But Mein Fuhrer Lee Kuan Yew view that mandarin and dialect is zero sum game. And dialect should be abandon, thrown away.

Mein Fuhrer Lee Kuan Yew's grandchild cant do that. Therefore what u said about the ang moh author, to him, it cant be true.

Mein Fuhrer Lee Kuan Yew is the king frog.

Han Suyin & Pearl S Buck...not 100% ang mohs, they are better Chinese Cultured than anyone of us, theyn speak dialects besides Mandarin.....btw Han suyin...once lived in Johore Bahru...:p

Those who ever read their books, will know how CHINESE they are...:rolleyes:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have Indian family who are Tamils, who do not even know a single word of Tamil, but converse with each other in English & Malay..and they can't talk to the older generation... that is the Indian.

I think the Tamil or Indians in Singapore will be the first ethnic group to lose their grasps of their own language...

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't abandon dialects please?! :(

Some of the wonderful colourful profanities are in dialect leh!

Examples:

Kan Ni Na!

Chao Chee Bye!

Kan Ni Na Bu!

Tiu Le Lou Moh (Oppss! Someone's nick here!) :p

Tiu Le Si Fatt (Another one's nick!)

Ham Kar Cham

Hong Kan Liao

Teo Kan Liao

Keh Jiat Sai

Etc etc

So endearing to hear people swear in dialect!

:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the Tamil or Indians in Singapore will be the first ethnic group to lose their grasps of their own language...

That is what I had noticed!, and ask the Tamils why are they conversing with their Grandmother (father) in MALAY?. Their parents speak to their grandparents ( & in-laws) in Tamil, they converse with their children, either in Malay or English. These children, do not even know much about Indian Culture, nor speak Tamil or write their own language.

BTW I am not Indian....:biggrin:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Examples:

Kan Ni Na!

Chao Chee Bye!

Kan Ni Na Bu!

Ham Kar Cham

Hong Kan Liao

Teo Kan Liao

Keh Jiat Sai

Etc etc

come on. every language has got its colorful vulgar language. same with dialect. it doesn't mean vulgar language is the forte of the dialect.

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal
come on. every language has got its colorful vulgar language. same with dialect. it doesn't mean vulgar language is the forte of the dialect.

It is not the forte, or rather the flavour of the language...

I remember setting foot in Taiwan Kaohsiung more than a decade ago, I heard an old man cursing "Chao Chee Bye!" loudly. I was then amazed, hey different country but same swear words! So funny!

Dialects are good! Don't abandon it!

Cheers! Huat arr!!!

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

Examples:

Kan Ni Na!

Chao Chee Bye!

Kan Ni Na Bu!

Ham Kar Cham

Hong Kan Liao

Teo Kan Liao

Keh Jiat Sai

Etc etc

personally i like tiu nia singh best..:biggrin:

sufferwell

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY says sporeans are too stupid to learn multiple languages; it may need 100 GB to learn both dialects and Mandarin+English but sporeans do not even have 1GB..
basically we are all dumbfucks who should just be led by the nose

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Examples:

Kan Ni Na!

Chao Chee Bye!

Kan Ni Na Bu!

Ham Kar Cham

Hong Kan Liao

Teo Kan Liao

Keh Jiat Sai

Etc etc

Poo nia bor .....Ka nea bo kor ger...... kaim kan sibor :oIo:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is what I had noticed!, and ask the Tamils why are they conversing with their Grandmother (father) in MALAY?. Their parents speak to their grandparents ( & in-laws) in Tamil, they converse with their children, either in Malay or English. These children, do not even know much about Indian Culture, nor speak Tamil or write their own language.

BTW I am not Indian....:biggrin:

I also find it strange that the Garment adopted Tamil over Hindi. I believe it is due to majority Indians here from Tamilnadu area, thus speaking Tamil. If they are to aim for growth with India, they should have adopted Hindi instead.

That leads to another question, why Mandarin? It should be Hokkien for Chinese, since majority here is Hokkien. May be at the time it was Taiwan and not China that the Garment wants to get close to.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also find it strange that the Garment adopted Tamil over Hindi. I believe it is due to majority Indians here from Tamilnadu area, thus speaking Tamil. If they are to aim for growth with India, they should have adopted Hindi instead.

That leads to another question, why Mandarin? It should be Hokkien for Chinese, since majority here is Hokkien. May be at the time it was Taiwan and not China that the Garment wants to get close to.

i think mandarin is the lingua franca in all chinese populated countries, and regions. the PAP is just following the norm.

yogi1973

Alfrescian
Loyal
i disagree....grandma should start learning proper mandarin.i think community centers got classes for the aged. goof for the aged, learning keeps their mind sharp.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
i disagree....grandma should start learning proper mandarin.i think community centers got classes for the aged. goof for the aged, learning keeps their mind sharp.

if grandma has difficulty to get to community center, then how? push her down the rubbish chute? expire her because she cant speak mandarin nor english?

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal

Examples:

Kan Ni Na!

Chao Chee Bye!

Kan Ni Na Bu!

Ham Kar Cham

Hong Kan Liao

Teo Kan Liao

Keh Jiat Sai

Etc etc

dialect is not a synonym for vulgarity. how about other colourful expressions, like

di gor liang, di gor zhor (where cool, where sit)
suay ga beh kao beh (unlucky until wanna cry father)
ka ki nang (ownself people)
pua bi si gina (sick dying kid)

etc

feel free to lengthen the list!