• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Kuan Yew just wanna uproot Singapore culture

Dogtracker

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't u tell your view? mandarin as official language here, is that dissing dialect?

Hey allo! I have faith in you,this "little prick who calls himself a man" just don't know the master he is up against! But don't make me lose face hah!
No problem lah, infractions are fun!:biggrin: Can solve this or not? YOTOWOTI?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey allo! I have faith in you,this "little prick who calls himself a man" just don't know the master he is up against! But don't make me lose face hah!
No problem lah, infractions are fun!:biggrin:

i see that u tarsed some dog in its ass in some other corner, i agar know u are alright, okay guy.

but i have to give u that infraction here, hope u understand.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't u tell your view? mandarin as official language here, is that dissing dialect?

Okay, my view on the issue? It is difficult to phrase it, and I have to re-write a few times.

If the garment is persistent enough and there is no sudden rise of the need for Dialect here, the garment may be successful in wiping out Dialects in a generation or two. Already many families are no longer speaking dialects in their families. However, the byproduct of this is that, instead of speaking Mandarin, many families are speaking English instead.

The problem is not the language, but the people. First we must ask ourselves, "Is our dialect important to us, and in what way?"

I consider my dialect very important because it is my identity and root. Being a Chinese is not enough, and I have to know where I come from. Knowing the history of my tribe gives me the pride of belonging.

What ever LKY says is his business. He has already lost his own root, he can't even speaks his own dialect and his view has no bearing to me. I mean this guy is a banana man until he join politics, can we seriously take his view seriously? We may accept certain opinion of his but asking me to get rid of my own root? Over my dead body!

We can learn Mandarin and we still need to retain our roots. It is our roots that build our culture, that is why Chinese culture are so colorful. Just look at Singapore nowadays, how colorful it is with all our people losing our roots? I wonder if LKY is still wondering why it is so difficult to build a Singapore culture. But one thing for sure, if we don't do anything to retain our dialects, LKY will succeed one day, even after his dath.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay, my view on the issue? It is difficult to phrase it, and I have to re-write a few times.

If the garment is persistent enough and there is no sudden rise of the need for Dialect here, the garment may be successful in wiping out Dialects in a generation or two. Already many families are no longer speaking dialects in their families. However, the byproduct of this is that, instead of speaking Mandarin, many families are speaking English instead.

The problem is not the language, but the people. First we must ask ourselves, "Is our dialect important to us, and in what way?"

I consider my dialect very important because it is my identity and root. Being a Chinese is not enough, and I have to know where I come from. Knowing the history of my tribe gives me the pride of belonging.

What ever LKY says is his business. He has already lost his own root, he can't even speaks his own dialect and his view has no bearing to me. I mean this guy is a banana man until he join politics, can we seriously take his view seriously? We may accept certain opinion of his but asking me to get rid of my own root? Over my dead body!

We can learn Mandarin and we still need to retain our roots. It is our roots that build our culture, that is why Chinese culture are so colorful. Just look at Singapore nowadays, how colorful it is with all our people losing our roots? I wonder if LKY is still wondering why it is so difficult to build a Singapore culture. But one thing for sure, if we don't do anything to retain our dialects, LKY will succeed one day, even after his dath.

mind if i ask you, are u a WP supporter?

Last edited:

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our legend Lee Kuan Yew is trying to make Singapore a multi-racial and multi-cultural country and I think it is a great move as all race, religion and people can understand one another better and build up the strong bond and rapport. Well done Legend Lee, 3 cheers for him and our great PAP government. :smile:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our legend Lee Kuan Yew is trying to make Singapore a multi-racial and multi-cultural country and I think it is a great move as all race, religion and people can understand one another better and build up the strong bond and rapport. Well done Legend Lee, 3 cheers for him and our great PAP government. :smile:

a multi-racial, multi-cultural country that is bonded together by English, which is not a native language of the 3 major races in singapore??

Why can't peoples just admit that LKY made singapore a english adminstrative country because he hated chinese culture and languages and end of story, the reasons are def not the multi-racial, cultural bullshits that I kept on hearing.

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
a multi-racial, multi-cultural country that is bonded together by English, which is not a native language of the 3 major races in singapore??

Why can't peoples just admit that LKY made singapore a english adminstrative country because he hated chinese culture and languages and end of story, the reasons are def not the multi-racial, cultural bullshits that I kept on hearing.

Our great Legend Lee Kuan Yew does not hate the Chinese culture and language. In fact, he is encouraging us to speak Mandarin. As for why making English the 1st language, it is due to the fact that Singapore has a multi-racial population, we must have a standard universal language to communicate with one another, we can't possibly made every languages as 1st language, we need to centralize thing to make things easy and thus, English was the 1st language and follow by all our 2nd languages of Chinese, Malay, Tamil and etc... You all can see how great our Legend Lee and the PAP government is by making such great decision many years ago. 3 cheers for them. :smile:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our great Legend Lee Kuan Yew does not hate the Chinese culture and language. In fact, he is encouraging us to speak Mandarin. As for why making English the 1st language, it is due to the fact that Singapore has a multi-racial population, we must have a standard universal language to communicate with one another, we can't possibly made every languages as 1st language, we need to centralize thing to make things easy and thus, English was the 1st language and follow by all our 2nd languages of Chinese, Malay, Tamil and etc... You all can see how great our Legend Lee and the PAP government is by making such great decision many years ago. 3 cheers for them. :smile:

English as 2nd language is suffice for interracial communication. Imposing English as first language policy in a country with population 97% Asian and 75% Chinese, if thats not tyranny and discrimination against Asian language and Asian culture, I don't know what is.

Lets get this straight. Even though Lee Kuan Yew encourage people to speak mandarin, his language policies stays. And mandarin usage has keep on dropping. So what does it say? He just pay lip service encourage people to speak mandarin. No policies come up by the PAP govt to boost the usage of mandarin. Which says Lee Kuan Yew is not sincere in encouraging people to speak mandarin.

PAP had benefit from the usage of dialect in the early days. PAP use dialect to reach out to the mass. Even till GE2006, PAP still use dialect to reach out to the people during campaign speech. So it is VERY UNGRATEFUL AND HYPOCRITICAL of the PAP, to try and abandon dialect, even though PAP had been benefit by the language. ITS UNETHICAL FOR THE PAP TO SNUFF THE LIFE OUT OF THE LANGUAGE WHICH HAD SERVE THEM ALL ALONG.

Furthermore, dialect is one of the pillar, foundation of Singapore culture. To abandon dialect, thats trying to knock off the foundation of Singapore culture. Thats unethical, unscrupulous behavior of the PAP.

Its not a zero sum game between dialect and mandarin. But the PAP such as Lee Kuan Yew, try to paint the picture that it is a zero sum game between those two spoken languages. But everywhere in the Chinese populated region (Hong Kong, Taiwan, PRC), mandarin and dialect co-exist together. No problem with that. SO WHY IS IT A PROBLEM WITH LEE KUAN YEW? IT JUST SHOW THAT HE IS SERIOUSLY BIAS AGAINST DIALECT, HE SERIOUSLY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST DIALECT.

Last edited:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Create a multi-racial crap!!!! Then why do your beloved government practice racial discrimination in their housing policies and why does your government specifically keep out a certain race from certain government bodies???

Didn't the pledge said to build this nation into a democratic society based on harmony, justice, peace, equality and progress???

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyway, mandarin, hokkien, cantonese are all dialects of the chinese language.

To elevate mandarin to a language status in our way is technically wrong.

If we have many versions of spoken mandarin in singapore, we can make one of them a official language and the rest of them will be classified as dialects. This is correct as all belong to mandarin language.

But Mandarin, Hokkien never belong to each other but under a big family called chinese language. So you can't call Mandarin a language and Hokkien dialect as if Hokkien belong to Mandarin.

another of LKY tricks to humiliate and downgrade our hokkien...

lanchwmn

English as 2nd language is suffice for interracial communication. Imposing English as first language policy in a country with population 97% Asian and 75% Chinese, if thats not tyranny and discrimination against Asian language and Asian culture, I don't know what is.

Lets get this straight. Even though Lee Kuan Yew encourage people to speak mandarin, his language policies stays. And mandarin usage has keep on dropping. So what does it say? He just pay lip service encourage people to speak mandarin. No policies come up by the PAP govt to boost the usage of mandarin. Which says Lee Kuan Yew is not sincere in encouraging people to speak mandarin.

PAP had benefit from the usage of dialect in the early days. PAP use dialect to reach out to the mass. Even till GE2006, PAP still use dialect to reach out to the people during campaign speech. So it is VERY UNGRATEFUL AND HYPOCRITICAL of the PAP, to try and abandon dialect, even though PAP had been benefit by the language. ITS UNETHICAL FOR THE PAP TO SNUFF THE LIFE OUT OF THE LANGUAGE WHICH HAD SERVE THEM ALL ALONG.

Furthermore, dialect is one of the pillar, foundation of Singapore culture. To abandon dialect, thats trying to knock off the foundation of Singapore culture. Thats unethical, unscrupulous behavior of the PAP.

Its not a zero sum game between dialect and mandarin. But the PAP such as Lee Kuan Yew, try to paint the picture that it is a zero sum game between those two spoken languages. But everywhere in the Chinese populated region (Hong Kong, Taiwan, PRC), mandarin and dialect co-exist together. No problem with that. SO WHY IS IT A PROBLEM WITH LEE KUAN YEW? IT JUST SHOW THAT HE IS SERIOUSLY BIAS AGAINST DIALECT, HE SERIOUSLY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST DIALECT.

dun be a medusa unless u cut your di di off, say this then say that ...at the end of the day, you are still promtonig party poilcy wat...where got difference?