• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Kuan Yew just wanna uproot Singapore culture

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP's propaganda against dialect, and banning the use of dialect in most mass media, don't tell me that has got no negative effect AT ALL on the dialect???

KNNB.....every seventh month, people still shouting in dialect....in auction...
People still swear in dialect, just like the one I swear to Royston46.....

what effect......

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't view using mandarin as official language is dissing dialect, nor discrimination against dialect. Tell me which Chinese region, people don't use mandarin as official language?? Its a norm in all Chinese region, no?

thank you for explaining PAP mandarin policy to us.... "PAP using mandarin as official language, thats not equate to dissing dialect."

then the below is not true:

"The PAP is indeed eradicating dialect, and their discrimination against dialect had caused dialect's downfall here in this country"

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNNB.....every seventh month, people still shouting in dialect....in auction...
People still swear in dialect, just like the one I swear to Royston46.....

what effect......

LOL!!! seven mouth auction, people using dialect to shout in the auction, thats the proof dialect is doing fine here in our country?? LOL!!!!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
thank you for explaining PAP mandarin policy to us.... "PAP using mandarin as official language, thats not equate to dissing dialect."

then the below is not true:

"The PAP is indeed eradicating dialect, and their discrimination against dialect had caused dialect's downfall here in this country"

using mandarin as official language, that doesn't equate to eradicating dialect. other chinese region, using mandarin as official language, they still uphold dialect language.

problem is PAP view mandarin and dialect as mutually exclusive. thats the problem with PAP. not with mandarin as official language.

get it??

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
using mandarin as official language, that doesn't equate to eradicating dialect. other chinese region, using mandarin as official language, they still uphold dialect language.

problem is PAP view mandarin and dialect as mutually exclusive. thats the problem with PAP. not with mandarin as official language.

get it??

I see i see

"PAP using mandarin as official language, thats not equate to dissing dialect."

lnchwmn_rules

Alfrescian
Loyal
Use your brain. (If u have any.)

Hong Kong use mandarin as official language too. Is that dissing dialect over there?

you say one mah

why you talk abt hong kong leh?

my brain cause you pain issit?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
you say one mah

why you talk abt hong kong leh?

my brain cause you pain issit?

i had state my piece. i will let others to decide, whether mandarin as official language, thats equate to dissing dialect.

i brought in hong kong as one example. its a chinese populated area, and they use mandarin as official language. and they didn't dissed their dialect. it just show that mandarin as official language, that doesn't equate to dissing dialect.

lnchwmn_rules

Alfrescian
Loyal
i had state my piece. i will let others to decide, whether mandarin as official language, thats equate to dissing dialect.

i brought in hong kong as one example. its a chinese populated area, and they use mandarin as official language. and they didn't dissed their dialect. it just show that mandarin as official language, that doesn't equate to dissing dialect.

bye bye time to run road ....just change a nickname lor

Char Jig Kar says:""PAP using mandarin as official language, thats not equate to dissing dialect."

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see i see

Er.. sorry to intrude. I recall the song that promotes speaking Mandarin campaign during the 80s. The last 2 versus of the lyrics is " Bu za yong fang yan, da jia shuo hua yu". Meaning no longer using Dialects, everyone speaks mandarin.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Er.. sorry to intrude. I recall the song that promotes speaking Mandarin campaign during the 80s. The last 2 versus of the lyrics is " Bu za yong fang yan, da jia shuo hua yu". Meaning no longer using Dialects, everyone speaks mandarin.

wah lao eh... how many times i have to repeat this.

nothing wrong using mandarin as official language. but PAP take is to uphold mandarin, and in the same time eradicate dialect. thats PAP fault. Hong Kong, Taiwan, PRC, etc, people use mandarin as official language and yet uphold their dialect.

mandarin as first language doesn't equate to dissing dialect.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
The difference is this.

Other Chinese region, they use mandarin as official language, and still uphold their dialect.

PAP govt, what they do is uphold mandarin (lip service) and go eradicate dialect.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The difference is this.

Other Chinese region, they use mandarin as official language, and still uphold their dialect.

PAP govt, what they do is uphold mandarin (lip service) and go eradicate dialect.

how can the above statement be reconciled with this?

are you lying now or were you lying then?

the answer is:

You will lie again

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Sweden can encourage its own people to educate themselves to speak more than 5 languages: Swedish, German, Danish, English..(perhaps Finnish or something else), and do it such a way that they can do that from a very early age, I don't see why Singapore can't do it, and retain their various heritages.

The total focus on just the English language and Mandarin chinese, and now with younger generations not showing enough competency in both, and almost nil in our own dialects, have shown how ineffective our language policy is.

The taste of the pudding is based on the results, and the results are dismal. Should we try and stick our heads into the sand and ignore the results, or should we take stock, evaluate the results and come out with a better solution? Because this current policy on the basis of the results alone, have shown to be a failure.

A Singaporean who can only speak rojak versions of both English and Chinese these days, when the main goal was to ensure Singaporeans could speak both in international standards in this day and age is so big an obvious a gap that only people like Lee Kuan Yew can try and ignore. Too bad, he can ignore it because he has only single digits left in his own future. But Singapore will have a long way to go even after LKY is gone from this world.

Singapore's future and interests should and will not be tied to LKY's interest and future simply because this country will outlast him. We cannot follow LKY into his grave.

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Sweden can encourage its own people to educate themselves to speak more than 5 languages: Swedish, German, Danish, English..(perhaps Finnish or something else), and do it such a way that they can do that from a very early age, I don't see why Singapore can't do it, and retain their various heritages.

The total focus on just the English language and Mandarin chinese, and now with younger generations not showing enough competency in both, and almost nil in our own dialects, have shown how ineffective our language policy is.

The taste of the pudding is based on the results, and the results are dismal. Should we try and stick our heads into the sand and ignore the results, or should we take stock, evaluate the results and come out with a better solution? Because this current policy on the basis of the results alone, have shown to be a failure.

A Singaporean who can only speak rojak versions of both English and Chinese these days, when the main goal was to ensure Singaporeans could speak both in international standards in this day and age is so big an obvious a gap that only people like Lee Kuan Yew can try and ignore. Too bad, he can ignore it because he has only single digits left in his own future. But Singapore will have a long way to go even after LKY is gone from this world.

Singapore's future and interests should and will not be tied to LKY's interest and future simply because this country will outlast him. We cannot follow LKY into his grave.

good post, i agree

how can the above statement be reconciled with this?

are you lying now or were you lying then?

the answer is:

You will lie again

PAP set mandarin as official language, if thats equate to dissing dialect, what do u suggest we use as official language for the Chinese then? Hokkien? Cantonese? Whats your suggestion?

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP set mandarin as official language, if thats equate to dissing dialect, what do u suggest we use as official language for the Chinese then? Hokkien? Cantonese? Whats your suggestion?

that is what you said :confused:, it is not dissing dialect...isn't it? are you denying you said that? :confused::eek:

that is what you said :confused:, it is not dissing dialect...isn't it? are you denying you said that? :confused::eek:

I don't find that as dissing the dialect, the PAP setting mandarin as the official language.

So PAP setting mandarin as the official language, do u find it dissing the dialect or not?? If yes, then what is your suggestion then? What language should be set as official language for the chinese here? Or u prefer no official language to be set at all? What is your take?

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't find that as dissing the dialect, the PAP setting mandarin as the official language.

So PAP setting mandarin as the official language, do u find it dissing the dialect or not?? If yes, then what is your suggestion then? What language should be set as official language for the chinese here? Or u prefer no official language to be set at all? What is your take?

why are you always spamming and going off topic deliberately? :mad: