• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

is Chee Soon Juan from PAP?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PAP - Good Governance / Track Record
WP - Branded / Credible
SDA - Opposition Unity / Chiam
SDP - Real Opposition / Courage
NSP - Most Liberal Internally
RP - Jeyaretnams' Works / Fresh

PAP - Litany of screw-ups / Party before country
WP - Silent / Poodle
SDA - One man show / Chiam
SDP - Confrontational / Chee
NSP - Ineffective / Placebo
RP - Arrogant / Kenneth jeya

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who are the left half, right wing, right wing and independent? is first time that some has attempted to place their political inclination in decades but I don't think any of them are strong or inclined in any direction.

What I see is a desire to challenge the PAP with some thematic and style variation.

I predict there will be 3-4 parties in the left wing eventually. If it happened before GE, they could save themselves 5 years. So it is very disappointing not to see it happening yet.

The right wing is in a state of flux and proving difficult. Some want to be independent. Some want to be doyen. Some want to swing. Some cannot get along with others. They should look at themselves in the mirror before commenting on the left wing non-stop.

I believe in this GE, those parties contesting the left half of Singapore will do better than those contesting the right half, regardless of alliance.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mentioned this once before. As of late you have been complimenting the SDP and their known associates. Have they been talking to you about going over or is there something going on.

Labeling them real opposition is doing a disservice to some of the others. I think the appropriate term would be confrontational. They have been poor in organising themselves in seeking seats in opposition. They have disqualified themselves for reasons that are best known to themselves.

I am not sure courage is another appropriate adjective. The supposed hunger strike was an eye opener for many. You might want to have a chat with Michael Fernandez, Lim Hock Siew and company about being forced fed by the prison doctor with their jaws pried open by warders.

I think the action falls under fatalism.

I don't think NSP is liberal. All these years, they seem to take part in politics with the zeal of a kid asking to go for bible lessons. I have no clue what their motivations are but I got the impression that they like to put more things in their CV without doing much. The best label is "shiok sendiri"

PAP - Good Governance / Track Record
WP - Branded / Credible
SDA - Opposition Unity / Chiam
SDP - Real Opposition / Courage
NSP - Most Liberal Internally
RP - Jeyaretnams' Works / Fresh

belowbelt

Alfrescian
Loyal
To the NSP leader

Dear Mr. Goh,

As an opposition leader of a political party, you show an utter lack of acumen in commenting on another opposition political party, especially since your views are derived from speculation and hearsay. In fact, I dare say, it is amply demonstrates your asininity.

Thank you for taking time out of your hectic schedule to read my post.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a bit too late. I don't think they will find one. Why did the leadership take themselves out. Martyrdom is something very difficult to achieve. It has been a waste of time. Note that the media left out the rare good speeches/questions in parliament by the opposition but covered the SDP antics in full. That should have been a clue.

Though they did well making a fool of the old man and his son in court, it was not something that you could not fit in a gameplan.

They also have ask those with peripheral interest to move on. Malaysian Indians, Burmese workers etc are really bizarre issues for local politics. The death sentence for drug pushers are really not on anyone's diary. Rising food prices is quite grey and their intention was to prove the double standards in issuing permits. Something most Singaporeans readily identify with the PAP.

Here are the real issues
- unemployment and job displacement for Singaporeans
- cost of housing
- singapore's changing identity
- transportation woes
- access to schools and universities
- immigration policies
- future of singapore

Note I have not included human rights, free speech, censorship etc. So what the hell were they doing all this time. Baiting some dimwit in Ministry of Information and Arts with political video interviews and waiting for the usual reaction seems to the latest stunt.

What then is left.

The rumour mill says SDP members are looking for a leader who can at least run for election. Otherwise, it's demoralising. Ideally he can co-steer SDP with Chee.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I don't think NSP is liberal. All these years, they seem to take part in politics with the zeal of a kid asking to go for bible lessons. I have no clue what their motivations are but I got the impression that they like to put more things in their CV without doing much. The best label is "shiok sendiri"

Hahaha. S.S. GMS.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: To the NSP leader

It surely must have hurt to get a response like that. Maybe GMS is trying to emulate Chee in being confrontational.

I doubt any comments by anyone can do more damage than what they have done to themselves. They painted themselves in a corner and they are worried about brickbats. The interesting thing is that it was not done overnight.

Again a strategy that was misplaced.

Dear Mr. Goh,

As an opposition leader of a political party, you show an utter lack of acumen in commenting on another opposition political party, especially since your views are derived from speculation and hearsay. In fact, I dare say, it is amply demonstrates your asininity.

Thank you for taking time out of your hectic schedule to read my post.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mentioned this once before. As of late you have been complimenting the SDP and their known associates. Have they been talking to you about going over or is there something going on.

Labeling them real opposition is doing a disservice to some of the others. I think the appropriate term would be confrontational. They have been poor in organising themselves in seeking seats in opposition. They have disqualified themselves for reasons that are best known to themselves.

I am not sure courage is another appropriate adjective. The supposed hunger strike was an eye opener for many. You might want to have a chat with Michael Fernandez, Lim Hock Siew and company about being forced fed by the prison doctor with their jaws pried open by warders.

I think the action falls under fatalism.

I have said that the premise was from the members who joined, not mine and not necessary correct. Compliment? Maybe, but I am critical as well. Surely you don't think I am complimenting PAP too? And surely when I say WP is credible I mean the rest are not?

If you read one of my posts to Velma, you might get where I'm coming from. Generally speaking, SDP members/affiliates view their cohort braver because they have gone to prison, courts for their actions. To them it doesn't matter if Barisan chaps went through worse because they are selectively comparing themselves to SDA, WP, NSP etc and not Barisan. As such the people who are attracted to SDP have no love for PAP and view the hardest knocking on PAP as the correct way.

I'm saying NSP is liberal internally (not liberal policy-wise) because it allows its members to adopt any post, strategy, ward or message it wants. It is closest to a "party of independents" but gives flexibility to members on how it wants to operate, therefore retaining them for years. However, you won't find liberal policies as their present make up is mostly conservative except maybe GMS and Steve who are mixed.

As you can see, my descriptions are not really complimentary if looked in another way.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Though they did well making a fool of the old man and his son in court, it was not something that you could not fit in a gameplan.

Agree largely with what you've said in the post. For this I will lean away further from you. I think the Lee vs Chee court debate was a draw to me - perhaps because I already know what both sides would produce. For PAP supporters, none were won over to the opposition and needless to say vice versa. Fence sitters hardly cared since, as you said, these were not b&b issues. No one was made a fool of, and those who thought the Lees were fools already thought so even without this court case.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
If my history is correct, the young LKY was very confrontational when he was an opposition figure in the Singapore Legislature. And when he was a member of the M'sian Parliament between 1963 to 1965, can anyone say he was not confrontational? So being an opposition politician, is it really wrong to be confrontational?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP - Litany of screw-ups / Party before country
WP - Silent / Poodle
SDA - One man show / Chiam
SDP - Confrontational / Chee
NSP - Ineffective / Placebo
RP - Arrogant / Kenneth jeya

That's quite a good turning over. I will put it like this:

PAP - Dominant heartless bulldozer
WP - Complacent out-of-petrol Model T
SDA - Empty castle with UN flags
SDP - Planet Pluto with poor winning chances
NSP - Retirement home for "Oppositunists"
RP - A bubble-tea fad that will die off

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If my history is correct, the young LKY was very confrontational when he was an opposition figure in the Singapore Legislature. And when he was a member of the M'sian Parliament between 1963 to 1965, can anyone say he was not confrontational? So being an opposition politician, is it really wrong to be confrontational?

LKY was hardly playing the CSJ role within the PAP - it was LCS and FSS. Note that to do that one had to forego the election and LKY didn't want to do that. As a result you see LCS and FSS keep being barred from election after election due to detention after detention and later they had no power either nationally or legislature or in the party where members treasured office-holders than not.

I believe someone may want to come into SDP to fulfill the "LKY role" with the party.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think through about SDP’s mythology, they see Singapore as being ruled by corrupt ruthless Mynmar style junta.

This junta has however clothed itself in the form of a benevolent, all knowing father.

The SDP’s view is that most Singaporeans are politically asleep. Their goal seems to be to awaken Singaporeans to what they consider to be the “truth” about the PAP.

To do this, they have opted to make martyrs of themselves.

By repeatedly goading the PAP, they hope to provoke over reaction and repressive measures. A good example of the over reaction and repressive measures that the SDP hopes the PAP would take would be the arrest of Abdul Malek.

If the hardline, repressive faction of the PAP gains power, SDP will be well positioned since they have the mind share of Thailand style street politics to achieve their political objectives. Denied a voice by legitimate political means, Singaporeans who feel passionately will flock to parties like SDP who advocate such street politics.

If however the PAP continues to walk a middle road, it is hard to see the SDP making significant gains.

The dilemma the PAP faces is that they are losing the middle path significantly to parties like WP, NSP, RP etc. The bread butter issues raised by scrobal are ones which all of these parties have chosen to fight on. Judging by the current ground sentiment, it would appear that these opposition parties have made significant political gains. Of significance also is that the bad policies of the past 10 years have locked the PAP into a situation that even with another 5 years, many of current problems will not be resolved. Coupled with the changing of the demographics with the p65 forming the overwhelming majority by 2017, this means that if the PAP continues to walk the current middle road, they will most likely lose their 2/3 majority in the 2017 elections.

Will the PAP accept this inevitable political loss or will the PAP adopt hardline measures and usher in an era of street politics?

shunquan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Coupled with the changing of the demographics with the p65 forming the overwhelming majority by 2017, this means that if the PAP continues to walk the current middle road, they will most likely lose their 2/3 majority in the 2017 elections.

2017? You must be dreaming. P65 are not homogeneous. The comprise

The 65-75 who are split between the contendedly successful and the disenfranchised - I would give the latter at most 20% of this cohot, though maybe another 10-15% of the successful ones will vote opposition for the sake of doing so.

The 75-85 - things have been going great for them, timing has been great - right courses, moved in at the right time, the world is their oyster. The anti-establishment vote is going to total at most 20%.

All in all, PAP will still garner > 50% of the vote. In any Westminster democracy, >50% of the vote usually results in nearly 90% of the seats.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Goh Meng Seng has made a mistake in this thread

I feel GMS has made a mistake in this thread.

His post on CSJ appears too critical, to the point that some forummers have read it as being confrontational. Ironically what CSJ has been labelled as.

As an opposition leader (SG of a party), it is not politically wise to be seen as openly attacking a fellow opposition. The dirty job is best done anonymously. This is not the 1st time. Last time, he said SDP website was going down the drain, only to be proven wrong.

Some views are private and are best kept to themselves.

Maybe GMS is trying to capture the swing voters who do not like SDP and would see him in a favourable light if GMS is openly seen as being critical of SDP.

But GMS antics here may also alienate him from fellow oppositions. Of course if he plans to employ a "scotched-earth" policy against SDP and he is confident those around him will support his stand, then he has nothing to lose.

shunquan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Goh Meng Seng has made a mistake in this thread

Don't be stupid. Do you think Singapore is filled with sympathizers of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan? It is actually fashionable to be anti-SDP. Chiam did it, and retained his seat, plus gained an NCMP seat (for the NSP, ironically). The WP distanced themselves from the SDP and did well. MS Goh (SM Goh wannabe?) is just emulating his WP sifu's tactics.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

His post on CSJ appears too critical, to the point that some forummers have read it as being confrontational. Ironically what CSJ has been labelled as.

But GMS antics here may also alienate him from fellow oppositions. Of course if he plans to employ a "scotched-earth" policy against SDP and he is confident those around him will support his stand, then he has nothing to lose.

Dear Thick Face Black Heart,

We have read or heard even more critical things about SDP and CSJ. Mine couldn't even make it as "criticism" so to speak. It is just restating what happened and what a young person like me saw as a "staged" show which destroyed SDP.

It is a lesson for all of us to learn. Internal strife will benefit NO ONE. Never mind who is right or wrong, in the voters' eyes, all are wrong.

As a young observer back then, I saw and felt as it was. Totally disappointed with the internal strife. The very first political rally that I attended was SDP Chiam's rally at Potong Pasir, GE 1991. Energized and feeling so overwhelmed by SDP's success in 1991, the internal strife has taken all that electrifying feeling away and replacing it with total disappointment.

I have learned, in later part of my life, what actually went wrong back then. But frankly speaking, its all over. If you read carefully, I didn't even bother to pin point who is at fault. Shit just happens to the most promising opposition party and very unfortunately, CSJ took over the leadership and it fell in his hands. May not be entirely his fault but he is just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Goh Meng Seng

cheepshootjuan

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP extremists here are acting like tyrant similar to the paps. no wonder they do not succeed in anything. they are the mini-paps!

cheepshootjuan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't be stupid. Do you think Singapore is filled with sympathizers of the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan? It is actually fashionable to be anti-SDP. Chiam did it, and retained his seat, plus gained an NCMP seat (for the NSP, ironically). The WP distanced themselves from the SDP and did well. MS Goh (SM Goh wannabe?) is just emulating his WP sifu's tactics.

mongrel? not moles, doggies and all the degrading terms sdp extremists are good at.

i notice u also received as many infractions like me for speaking against SDP. and they suppose to be upholders of free speeches. definitely say much about their hypocrisy.