• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GEP for Rich, NS for Poor!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Nov 22, 2008
SUCCESSFUL GIFTED EDUCATION CANDIDATES
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Clever or acutely coached?
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I WISH to highlight a problem in the Gifted Education Programme's assessment test which is used to pick pupils for the programme.
I have discovered that most of my son's classmates who sat for the programme's tests had been exhaustively trained to excel in the test.
Their parents enrolled them in English or mathematics enrichment classes after their year-end examination in Primary 2.
These children knew the kind of questions asked in the tests and the importance of English and mathematics. Their focus on these two subjects was reinforced with extra tuition.
Some of my son's classmates, whose results were about the same as his, managed to score high distinctions in English and mathematics.
Their parents engaged former teachers of the gifted programme to tutor their children and willingly shelled out the exorbitant fees.
If such is the case, how does one know if a pupil who passes the programme's required test is naturally clever or merely well coached?
Savvy parents with money to spare do not think twice about enrolling their children in preparatory tuition centres which charge as much as $2,000 for only eight lessons - in one subject.
How can average-income Singaporeans compete? How can we afford to spend thousands of dollars to help our children achieve a place in the pro-
gramme?
Does the programme meet its main aim of selecting talent?
Jessie Tan (Ms)
<!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start -->

Tiu-leh-see-fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
A sad truth for local ordinary sons and daughters .

They want rich and made-believe div-one people to be in the PAP team so these sadists will not pity peasants when come to implementing policies.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Nov 22, 2008
SUCCESSFUL GIFTED EDUCATION CANDIDATES
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Clever or acutely coached?
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I WISH to highlight a problem in the Gifted Education Programme's assessment test which is used to pick pupils for the programme.
I have discovered that most of my son's classmates who sat for the programme's tests had been exhaustively trained to excel in the test.
Their parents enrolled them in English or mathematics enrichment classes after their year-end examination in Primary 2.
These children knew the kind of questions asked in the tests and the importance of English and mathematics. Their focus on these two subjects was reinforced with extra tuition.
Some of my son's classmates, whose results were about the same as his, managed to score high distinctions in English and mathematics.
Their parents engaged former teachers of the gifted programme to tutor their children and willingly shelled out the exorbitant fees.
If such is the case, how does one know if a pupil who passes the programme's required test is naturally clever or merely well coached?
Savvy parents with money to spare do not think twice about enrolling their children in preparatory tuition centres which charge as much as $2,000 for only eight lessons - in one subject.
How can average-income Singaporeans compete? How can we afford to spend thousands of dollars to help our children achieve a place in the pro-
gramme?
Does the programme meet its main aim of selecting talent?
Jessie Tan (Ms)
<!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start -->

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
She doesn't get it. "gifted" means being born in the right environment.
Being clever is good. Even the rich need to be somewhere there before
the training has any benefit.

So nature or nurture, both will contribute towards being so called "gifted"
in our Singaporean environment.

Its in nature to provide the best for one's offsprings, to ensure survival of
our genes.

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
If she wants her child to grow up into a ruminant who regurgitates information so be it. Leaves little to imagination why sillyporeans are all kept penned up.:rolleyes:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tis is ze so-called education in sg ...

tis is life is sg ...

sad, isnt it? ...

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I only interested if my sons gifted in kenging. That is the most important skill before and during NS.