• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Galaxy S III better than iPhone5

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
iphone5 still no memory card slot. apple will never have it?

Nope that is part of the planned obsolence policy. It is similar to having always an embedded battery. This way, there will eternally be a replacement market!
This was Job's genius as was creating an eco-system around all Apple products so that linking and familiarity breeds complacence and reluctance to change . And to create an Apple cult and snobbishism. All these allowed the company to sell over-priced products.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Some say that Samsung's "first mover advantage" was accomplished by copying Apple's iPhone. I was surprised that Samsung made little effort to hide this and got sued by Apple:wink:

Open source concept cannot exist in phones.
Samsung is not a saint. If the tables were reversed & they were the ones that introduced the iPhone 1st. They would behave exactly as how Apple is behaving & sue to protect their investment on R&D.
All MNC's act to maximise $$$.

Open source works and apple losing shares while samsung gaining it is the result. Btw, andriod is owned by google, not samsung. They partner each with each other unlike apple who own it all.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is because that is only your way of using the phone and your perception in seeing how service standard should be . And basdd on your sinkie mindset. You think the whole world must go according to your standard.

If that is your sinkie logic, how do you explain 20 million S3 sales and 10 million note sales. If google andriod service is so fuck up. Why people are still buying the andriod phone and apple keep losing market share.

It does show that samsung understand customer better than Apple.

I don't invest in Samsung so I don't follow their performance. I do invest in APPL shares & I know that the price recently reached record levels of $700+
Apple is number 1 and it is a fact that the other handset makers are struggling to compete.

Samsung might not have to struggle as hard. However they are also building ships, weapons, insurance, consumer electronics, supplying components to Apple, etc. They are a conglomerate & they will probably be around longer than Apple:eek:

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Open source works and apple losing shares while samsung gaining it is the result. Btw, andriod is owned by google, not samsung. They partner each with each other unlike apple who own it all.

Samsung is actually fighting a proxy battle that is between Google & Apple. Android is NOT open source. It is owned & controlled by Google.
Google bought Motorola's handset division & in the future I expect they will "take care of" Samsung :wink:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Samsung is actually fighting a proxy battle that is between Google & Apple. Android is NOT open source. It is owned & controlled by Google.
Google bought Motorola's handset division & in the future I expect they will "take care of" Samsung :wink:

google allow it to be open-source. own and controlled does not mean holding on to it till that everyone has to suck up for it. That is very sinkie and very Apple.. google do not behave like that, only those apple cock suckers behaves like this.

I am very happy that apple is losing market share and google and all makers of andriod phones are gaining it , especially Samsung.. I just love this moment.

Another best moment is that Samsung has proven apple wrong that large screen like The Note is welly received by the people. It only shows that Samsung really did his homework whereas apple is just showing off its ego. well done Samsung!!!!

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I don't invest in Samsung so I don't follow their performance. I do invest in APPL shares & I know that the price recently reached record levels of $700+
Apple is number 1 and it is a fact that the other handset makers are struggling to compete.

Samsung might not have to struggle as hard. However they are also building ships, weapons, insurance, consumer electronics, supplying components to Apple, etc. They are a conglomerate & they will probably be around longer than Apple:eek:

you hold apples shares, that explains your sinkie behavior.

you do not care much about the handset, you care more of your shares...

Samsung has many areas of business but their mobile phone business is performing very well. and i like the way they do on the handset. When you sue a company for $1 billion, the company will not just sit still and let them ass crew like what sinkies do when govt screw them, Samsung will get them back.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Iphone is the first phone to come up with touch screen. That does not mean it has the right to be at the top all the time......................

i suggest you back up your 1st sentence before i read the rest of your post, LOL :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

you are clearly ignorant about phones

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i still have my kyocera 6035. it's out of service but sitting in a drawer, still in pristine condition. i'm saving it for the smartphone museum. :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah... Antique!!!! but this is with stylus right?

yup. the pda touchscreen is actually from palm. qualcomm had a prototype combining the palm pda with a cdma phone. they licensed the combo to kyocera to design and manufacture the product. i also have the qualcomm prototype. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My 1st PDA phone is this :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

10037934.101a312d78c8c6f5cd17689db9487ebf.jpg

Motorola 388

Last edited:

Orion

Alfrescian
Loyal

If it not open source, then what about Linux. You seriously need to go for a re education.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My 1st PDA phone is this :biggrin:: Motorola 388
Kns, had this as well. Very hardy, dropped and kena damp (still working then). Loud ring, and idiot proof. Stylus can even doodle and sms same. Progressed to A7xx (forgot series), before advent of smart phone era

But then I've been a Motorola faithful, into my 2nd Milestone now. Pity Motorola make good phones (recall the 1st generation toughie?), but lousy in marketing.:p

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kns, had this as well. Very hardy, dropped and kena damp (still working then). Loud ring, and idiot proof. Stylus can even doodle and sms same. Progressed to A7xx (forgot series), before advent of smart phone era

But then I've been a Motorola faithful, into my 2nd Milestone now. Pity Motorola make good phones (recall the 1st generation toughie?), but lousy in marketing.:p

Yah man, I swears by this phone, i use it for a good 3 years, then I changed my new phone, intend to keep this phone, but my friend borrowed it and lost it...... :(:(:(

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it not open source, then what about Linux. You seriously need to go for a re education.

Why not keep an open mind instead of assuming you know it all :rolleyes:
iPhone users really don't care who owns the OS as long as it works. I find it strange that some android supporters are ignorant of the OS they are supporting & defending:rolleyes:

Google is not a charity. They don't do anything without a reason.

http://www.wired.com/business/2010/10/is-android-open/\

Is Android Open?

By Scott Gilbertson
Email Author
10.22.10 6:10 PM

Google is famous in programming circles for redefining words to suit its ideas.

Take “beta,” for example. Most of us take it to mean buggy, pre-release software that’s “mostly working, but still under test.” But Google uses the word to refer to a product that’s ready for general use but is subject to “regular updates and constant feature refinement.”

Now it’s happening again over the term “open.”

Andy Rubin, Google’s Senior Director of Mobile Platforms who oversees Android, gave a similar semantic shuffling to the word “open” in response to a slam by Steve Jobs. The Apple CEO stirred up a hornet’s nest of angry Android developers this week when he suggested, in a lengthy diatribe during an Apple press event, that Google’s mobile operating system was not really “open.”

Rubin responded by sending his first ever tweet, posting the code necessary to download the Android source and compile it on your PC and calling it “the definition of open.”

But whether Android actually qualifies as “open” in the purest sense is up for debate, since downloading and compiling code alone does not make a piece of software open. Bruce Perens, who coined the term “open source” and has been working on its behalf ever since, is suspect of Rubin’s definition.

“The fact that you can check something out and compile it doesn’t mean you have the right to use it,” Perens tells Wired.

In the software world, “open” can be defined around three core traits: a license that insures the code can be modified, reused and distributed; a community development approach; and, most importantly, assurance the user has total freedom over the device and software.

The Android OS is, in strictly legal terms, open source. Android is released under the Apache 2.0 software license, which allows anyone to use, modify and redistribute the code. But while it might meet the letter of the law, Android falls short on the other two points.

It’s the lack of community-based development that Android’s critics say makes it no more “open” than Apple’s locked-down, decidedly not-open iOS model. As Perens says, “most open source projects [include] instant access to changes as they are made … and an open door for anyone to participate.”

Unlike major open source projects like Firefox or the Linux kernel, you can’t see what’s happening behind the scenes with Android, nor can small developers contribute to the project in any meaningful way. Google typically releases major updates to Android at press conferences, not unlike those Apple uses to show off new iPhone features.

Once the code is released, Android developers can download it and do what they want with it, but they have no way of seeing what’s happening behind the scenes every day. If you want to know how Firefox changed last night — however esoteric those changes may be — you can study the changes on the Mozilla site. The same is true of the Linux kernel, Open Office and nearly every other open source project with a website.

It’s not true of Android. While Android may have the legal licensing to qualify as open source, it utterly fails on the equally important issues of transparency and community.

Android basically gives you two options: Accept what Google gives you, or fork the entire codebase. Other than the ability to roll your own version of Android, it’s really no different than iOS, which works on a similar “take what Apple gives you” model.

Facebook’s Joe Hewitt, the Firefox co-creator who is now rumored to be working on a Facebook-branded mobile OS based on Android, chimed in over Twitter. Hewitt says the lack of transparency in the Android development process makes it “no different than iOS to me,” adding, “open source means sharing control with the community, not show and tell.”

The next day, Hewitt followed up with a blog post clarifying his remarks.

“It kills me to hear the term ‘open’ watered down so much. It bothers me that so many people’s first exposure to the idea of open source is an occasional code drop, and not a vibrant community of collaborators like I discovered ten years ago with Mozilla.”

He also recommends people look at Google’s Chrome OS project, which is being run with a level of transparency and community involvement largely absent from Android, and which is a better representation, he says, of Google’s values.

Unfortunately, even if Google were to develop Android in the open, as the Mozilla foundation does with Firefox, it probably wouldn’t help Android be any more open.

While Google’s approach may be a disingenuous use of the word open — as Hewitt says, Google is doing “bare minimum to meet the definition of open” — there is another problem: the phone carriers.

“The problem is the wireless carriers first and Google second,” says Perens, “because Google enables the carriers to close the Android platform from the user’s perspective.” In other words, while you might be able to copy and paste the code from Rubins’ tweet and take a look at Android yourself, what arrives with actual phone is every bit as tightly controlled as iOS.

Just as there are jailbreaking hacks for the iPhone, there are root hacks for Android that attempt to give the end user some control back. That Android is less controlled by its Google parent in other ways — the Android Market, for instance, is not tightly regulated like Apple’s App Store counterpart — is a secondary benefit. Neither device is open in the sense that the end user can modify it as they see fit — customize it perhaps, but adding a new theme and downloading whatever apps you like are not the goals of open software.

The real goal of open software, as Perens and others have help define it over the years, is to ensure that you can do whatever you want with it. As anyone with an iPhone or and Android phone can tell you, that’s not the current state of affairs on either device. Nearly every smartphone on the market is tightly locked to its carrier’s specifications. There are a few exceptions, like the Nokia N900, which runs Maemo Linux.

The carriers argue that open phones would threaten the network. Steve Jobs argues that an open phone would threaten the user experience.

AT&T used to argue both of the same things during most of the 20th century, when it still maintained total control (what Jobs likes to call an “integrated” system) over land lines — you rented phones from AT&T or you didn’t have one. Decades after several massive anti-trust lawsuits and the breakup of Ma Bell, we’ve ended up back in a similar jam.

Even if there were a truly open source OS for your phone, it’s unlikely it would ever truly be open by the time it arrived in your hand.

Scott Gilbertson

Call me Lead Monkey.

Read more by Scott Gilbertson

Follow @webmonkey on Twitter.
Tags: Android, Andy Rubin, Apple, Bruce Perens, Google, ios, Joe Hewitt, Open Source, Steve Jobs

Post Comment |
53 Comments and 1 Reaction |

inShare

Reddit
Digg
Stumble Upon
Email

Disqus

Comments for this page are closed.
Showing 53 comments

Penti

Your forgetting one importing thing patents! Your not actually given the license to use the software, just the license to the copyrighted material, not the right to use the IPR. You also didn't write anything about all the proprietary software that's included. The core is open source, but the platform isn't a open source platform, much in the same way as the kernel for OS X and iOS is OSI approved open source. Not does the phone makers nor can they really let you access the full source, neither is it encourage to roll your own build or even make changes to the software that's included without flashing a new ROM, this goes against the anti-tivoization principal. It still makes it open source and not infringing on anything. Many devices use linux, but many of makes it impossible to do any changes to the linux kernel that's included. The license dictates they must release their kernel changes (and any open source drivers, but not necessarily complete), but they can lock it down from changing it out. Other important stuff is all the IPR, trademarks and patents! Your simply not allowed to fork it and call it Android, stuff like the video codecs included requires licenses for tens of millions of dollars to be distributed in a phone. Which of course the phone companies has, but not any independent vendor that's not in that business and aren't large enough to do it.

Phone manufacturers might let you install apps from outside the market if you enable it on Android, which of course is necessary for development but can also be used to distribute apps directly, you can mail them over or whatever. You can install alternative app markets or you can bypass them all together accordingly. But you can't escape that you need illegal homebrew and a lot of hacking to actually change out the system.

All of this is also why Mozilla don't support H.264 or other proprietary video formats, and why truly free Chromium builds should have H.264 off providing no support for H.264 or any other commercial video format through it's source/software.

It's not open if one law says you can do it and another one says you can't, trade marks are fine, it don't impede anybodies ability to modify their own program internally but might just restrict some measures ones distributed publically. The patent's means you can do neither. If your aren't a licensee. And of course nobody is requesting access to the baseband. That's not running android any way. That's a whole other deal, but also one that might constrain you. But following the Chromium model just wouldn't work with a mobile phone OS, it would mean locking out any feature requiring any sort of IPR license. That's not granted with the software that is. But in the end a part of Android is open source, a port of iOS is open source, neither does give you the right to change and modify the mobile os. Neither is the proprietary software included redistributable at all from a home brew perspective. And of course it's all customized to your phone. Those sources you can't get your hands on. Or only partially. Your not allowed to boot up anything else. You might be able to fix the code but you can't really legally get it in there or distribute it. And if you can't change the software it doesn't really matter how much access to the software you have. I mean you could buy a "developer" phone and roll your own OS. But without licensing for distribution what are you going to do with it. For the end user it's no different then commercially dual licensed open source, except he can hardly use a community edition or build on just any device. Neither is anyone granted the rights to redistribute the whole system. The source code is released for the OEMs or phone makers. Just such a thing like android market is a proprietary closed source program and system you can't access if the phone/OS aren't validated by Google. It's simply made to be locked down. The open source parts are mostly fine, but not everything included under mainly Apache license projects is actually Apache License. It kinda makes the situation dubious for anybody making a Android phone. Licensing of IPR is definitively needed and are not free. It's a collaborative open platform for the phone manufacturers but one that aren't really that collaborative or open for them either. It's though to contribute a piece to the project and if you change around to much on your own private branch (that's going into the phone) you can't call it Android any more. It really belong to the group of the open Symbian project. It's a royalty free project that you need to pay patent royalties for :smile: It's not a free and open platform it's common platform for the vendors. Not the users. But with a lot of open source in it. But as pointed out you have OSI approved software licenses in iOS too, the difference there is just that the application framework is closed where android framework is the open bit. Both is of course developed with a closed model.

But if you really want source you can get source for Windows too. Major corporations and a few partners have access to the source. Android is simply an open source project with open source software licenses (for most bits), but not a open platform with complete modifiable open source licensed operating system.

Being an open source OS and a open source project in an OS is kinda not the same thing :smile:
1 year ago
1 Like
Alricky

So what if Google wants to program Android in private. You have to look at it from the standpoint that Google has competitors. It would make better sense to do your cutting-edge programming in secret than to have it open to the world.

Steve Jobs is really a piece of work being such a hypocrite.
1 year ago
1 Like

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you hold apples shares, that explains your sinkie behavior.

you do not care much about the handset, you care more of your shares...

Samsung has many areas of business but their mobile phone business is performing very well. and i like the way they do on the handset. When you sue a company for $1 billion, the company will not just sit still and let them ass crew like what sinkies do when govt screw them, Samsung will get them back.

As an investor I like to think that I'm rationale & because I have $$$ invested I am of course interested in what the public thinks about Apple & their products. If I thought Samsung had better prospects I would have invested in them.

Actually Apple wanted 3+ billion from Samsung but the jury only awared them 1.2 billion. The judge has decided on the amout yet

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
B4 I5 announced...there are 2 pax in moi workplace confirm getting and 5 existing 4/4s user waiting to A/B btn I5 and Note 2.

Today...2 still confirm getting I5, 11 confirm Note 2. Few more may wait for SG4... rumor to launch sometime @ Feb 2013.

Moi workplace cnot represent world wide mktg situation but at least...dis is wats happening @ micro scale...

2day...eberybody hab a good laugh when moi show em de new Apple map...

De conversation move on 2 someting else...n suddenly 1 fella say 2 another..."Ur suggestion is as good as an Apple Map"....

Suddenly de term "Apple Map" simply mean sumting incomplete/unuseable/unworkable/misleading...etc :p:p:p

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As an investor I like to think that I'm rationale & because I have $$$ invested I am of course interested in what the public thinks about Apple & their products. If I thought Samsung had better prospects I would have invested in them.

Actually Apple wanted 3+ billion from Samsung but the jury only awared them 1.2 billion. The judge has decided on the amout yet

If i had know in the first place that you care about share than phone. I would not have take my time to share what i know here.

I prefer to exchange info with phone users not shareholders.