• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fried food is unhealthy.. how fried it has to be?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am asking if there are different levels of food being fried.

How healthy is it to eat fried food. Deep fried is of course a no no for health. What about light fried or medium fried?

Do people have to avoid fried food totally to achieve optimum health? or just eat it occasionally will be ok.

Fried food is tasty but it is not healthy. even for vegetables.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try telling people not to eat KFC. Or locals not to eat Char Kwey Teow. I hosted a party here in Singapore and nobody even dipped their fingers into the salad (raw of course). Fried food, or rather Junk Food is the new norm.

Me, it's not the cuisine, its the cook.

Cheers!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why think about fried food, when you could be run over by a truck tomorrow during your daily cycling.
Eat and enjoy life. There are truck on the road in NZ right?

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
i eat what i want. that's life!!

i mean, lets not talk about health now. ok, give u eat 7 days kfc. u also bored right??

but my meal always starts with fruits...

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try telling people not to eat KFC. Or locals not to eat Char Kwey Teow. I hosted a party here in Singapore and nobody even dipped their fingers into the salad (raw of course). Fried food, or rather Junk Food is the new norm.

Me, it's not the cuisine, its the cook.

Cheers!

the worserest of the worsest. eat your laksa but don't slurp the gravy - some lame advice from million$ . how to enjoy? to think that there's really an idiot who would eat meesiam mai hum. sheesh!!

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng replies to tonychat: char kueh teow, chye tau kueh, mee goreng, yau zar kueh, fried chicken, fried rice, fried oyster eggs, etc… :biggrin: different ways of frying different taste but all sedup! how about roasted piglet, roasted chicken n roasted ducks?

Last edited:

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mee Siam mai hum is healthy food, if you don't believe you know who to asked!

Laksa with hum is really really hum-ful!! you built your cholesterol like nobody business!!

Kway Teow with hum also hum-ful!! cholesterol up like share price!!

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng replies to tonychat: char kueh teow, chye tau kueh, mee goreng, yau zar kueh, fried chicken, fried rice, fried oyster eggs, etc… :biggrin: different ways of frying different taste but all sedup! how about roasted piglet, roasted chicken n roasted ducks?

lianbeng asked tonychat back: which is more deadly - fried or roasted food? :biggrin:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Fried food is fine..probabLy it aLL boiLs down to the QuaLity/Type of oiL being used..:cool:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am asking if there are different levels of food being fried.

How healthy is it to eat fried food. Deep fried is of course a no no for health. What about light fried or medium fried?

Do people have to avoid fried food totally to achieve optimum health? or just eat it occasionally will be ok.

Fried food is tasty but it is not healthy. even for vegetables.

It's the re used cooking oil that's more harmful, i guess.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Danger of reused oil:

What Happens to Oil When it is Repeatedly Heated?
In frying the oil, it is usually heated to 170-220 °C (338-428 °F). When heated to these temperatures in the presence of oxygen (air), the oil undergoes chemical reactions such as hydrolysis, oxidation, and polymerization. In other words it changes its character. Degradation products can include free fatty acids, hydro-peroxides, and polymerized triglycerides. The oil viscosity increases, its color will grow darker, and rancidity begins to develop.

What is Rancidity?
Rancidity is the decomposition of fats, oils, and other lipids through oxidation. Oxidation of fats result in the replacement of an oxygen ion with a hydrogen ion in the fatty acid molecule. This substation destabilizes the molecule and makes it possible for other odd chemical fragments to find a place along the chain. Factors which accelerate fat oxidation are trace metals (iron, zinc, copper, etc.), salt, light, water, bacteria, and molds. Oxidation occurs primarily in unsaturated fats by a free-radical-mediated process. These chemical reactions generate highly reactive molecules in rancid food which also may destroy nutrients in the food. Free radicals formed by fatty acids react with oxygen to generate peroxides that enter into a multitude of reactions, producing numerous compounds such as aldehydes, ketones, acids, esters, and polymerized fats.

Hazards of Prolonged Heating
The amounts of degradation products increase with the duration of heating at high temperatures. The toxicity of these degradation products present a health concern. Other contaminants such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons may be concentrated by prolonged heating. Some of these have been found to be potential carcinogens. Certain types of plant oils such as peanut oil are sometimes contaminated by naturally occurring aflatoxin which is a human carcinogen. Peroxides and other by-products are also formed, indicating a change in the oil on a molecular level. Secondary breakdown products of peroxides and hydro-peroxides are rapidly formed by prolonged heating. Trans-fatty acids and a substance called acrylamide are also produced.

Health Effects
Thermal oxidation forms volatile and non-volatile decomposition products. The latter present the most risk to our health since they remain in the oil, are absorbed into fried foods, and are then ingested. Diets high in lipid oxidation and polymerization products (found in used frying oils) are associated with cellular alteration, reduced endothelial function, as well as LDL oxidation. Endothelial function is the normal biochemical processes carried out by the cells that line the inner surface of all blood vessels including arteries and veins as well as the internal lining of the heart and lymphatics. A diet high in frying oil content has been shown to induce glucose intolerance in rats. The presence of excess polar compounds and polymers in the frying oils were positively associated with the risk of hypertension.

In 2002, Swedish scientists discovered acrylamide formation in some starchy foods fried at high temperatures. This has since become a major concern in the food industry. Consistent evidence has shown that acrylamide is formed in foods with a high content of the free amino acid aspargine and of reducing sugars. The optimum condition for such formation is in potato chips since potatoes contain a very high concentration of aspargine. Once formed, the acrylamide can easily be absorbed by inhalation, ingestion, or skin absorption and reacts with proteins to form its metabolite glycidamide, an epoxide which can react with DNA. The effect of these reactions is the formation of hemoglobin adducts and neurotoxins. These adducts and toxins have led to serious health effects such as protein malfunction and muscle control problems.

Ingesting deep-fried oils has an effect on allergic reactions of the digestive tract, growth retardation, increased weight of the liver and kidneys and other biochemical reactions. Necrosis, dark red patches, and bleeding were found in rats fed a diet of food fried in used oil and concern has been raised that frying oil contained in many ready-made foods and snacks such as potato chips can change human serum levels and damage liver and kidneys.

Wah lou eh, read liao i dun dare to eat fried food liao...if fried at home ok , i think.

Last edited:

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Reminds me of an incident in Malaysia, roadside goreng pisang stall, open a plastic bag of oil and then the plastic bag just let it go into the hot oil :eek:.. maybe biodegradable plastic bag :biggrin:

Steamed or boiled is the best I reckon, followed by Stir Fry. Deep Fried is the worst. Roasted..err.. dunno.. but not as oily as deep fried..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
20130408_221043_zpsdf8d87ac.jpg
ok nowadays usually chon log in is to fxxk kopisai but today like to share some info on oil and recycled oil, tonychat already posted above liaoz so chon will not go into details. most restaurant kitchen practises some form of oil recycling due to costs lah. kns, if every dish uses new oil, restaurant zhap lap liaoz. some do it more and some do it less lah.

cooking oil with a good pan or wok and stove can easily go up 200 degrees within minutes with home kitchen. in my case, 0.5 litres of water can be boiled within 15 seconds using a heated wok and commercial lpg stove.:cool: nothing magic lah. design of the wok and stove allow the heat to concentrate on the bottom of the wok nia. of course i turn the lpg on full blast lah.

ok, nothing to shout about. think most people at home use teflon non stick pans or woks, me donno much abou teflon lah. u can google about this. :p

think oil at high temperature using teflon pans and pots is the killer.

here's a pic of 3 different pans/woks. left is stainless steel, food will stick cos no teflon. centre is teflon based pan, no stick even above 200 degrees. on the left is chon favorite traditional seasoned wok. no stick and heat how high also no scared. really 'real gold not scare fire' .

why zhi char so nice har? high heat cooking lah. and of course a lot of pork lard lah.