• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fried food is unhealthy.. how fried it has to be?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
to me there are 3 types of fried food:

1. deep fried. very bad.
2. stir fried. too oily.
3. flied lice. my favorite.

:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Reminds me of an incident in Malaysia, roadside goreng pisang stall, open a plastic bag of oil and then the plastic bag just let it go into the hot oil :eek:.. maybe biodegradable plastic bag :biggrin:

goteng pisang uncle told me plastic in oil gives pisang extra crispiness and longevity. swore off pisang after that. :eek:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
to me there are 3 types of fried food:

1. deep fried. very bad.
2. stir fried. too oily.
3. flied lice. my favorite.

:biggrin:

in fact, avoid fried food if possible unless cook at home. but me really like zhi char lah. at least now i can do it in my own shop. best is no need to wash after cooking. hehehe.

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
i just love yew cha kuei with black coffee. I also love french fries. I also love potato chips.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in fact, avoid fried food if possible unless cook at home. but me really like zhi char lah. at least now i can do it in my own shop. best is no need to wash after cooking. hehehe.

you're lucky to have take-out zhi char like homecooked meals. my kind of "zhi siao char" is from panda express. :eek: :biggrin:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
here's a pic of 3 different pans/woks. left is stainless steel, food will stick cos no teflon. centre is teflon based pan, no stick even above 200 degrees. on the left is chon favorite traditional seasoned wok. no stick and heat how high also no scared. really 'real gold not scare fire' .

I read from somewhere teflon coated pans give out gas which are toxic. Anyway, the trick to avoid food from sticking to the wok is to heat it up first, till it's smoking, before adding oil. Heat the oil up a while before throwing in the food to be fried. I don't know what's the explanation but it obviously works.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I read from somewhere teflon coated pans give out gas which are toxic. Anyway, the trick to avoid food from sticking to the wok is to heat it up first, till it's smoking, before adding oil. Heat the oil up a while before throwing in the food to be fried. I don't know what's the explanation but it obviously works.

Is Teflon Risky?

The amazingly slippery, heat-resistant plastic known as Teflon was discovered purely by accident by DuPont chemist Roy Plunkett in 1938. By 1950, the company was making a million pounds annually as a low-friction coating for bearings and gears. In 1960 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved it for use in cookware. Today some 60% of all pots and pans in American kitchens are nonstick--to say nothing of muffin pans, cookie sheets, cake pans, deep fryers and waffle irons.

Unfortunately, it turns out that when Teflon is heated to over 600°, the coating can break down and release a chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA. The fumes can be fatal to pet birds. In humans, DuPont acknowledges, they can cause a reversible flulike condition called polymer-fume fever, first noted in the company's labs. In animals, though, PFOA can cause cancer, immune-system damage and death. And about 95% of all Americans have traces of PFOA in their blood.

No study has proved that cooking with Teflon is harmful to humans. But DuPont paid $107.6 million in 2004 to settle a lawsuit brought by some 50,000 people who lived along the Ohio River near its West Virginia plant. They claimed PFOA contamination had caused birth defects and other health problems. The company admitted no liability but in December 2005 made a settlement with the EPA based on eight violations for failing to disclose its own findings on the safety of PFOA. This April, hearings began in a class action against the company by nonstick-cookware users from 15 states. In January, an EPA advisory board labeled PFOA a likely human carcinogen.

The EPA has since asked DuPont and seven other companies that use PFOA to phase out the chemical. Although DuPont disputes the classification as a carcinogen and won't stop making Teflon, the company has pledged that by 2015, it will reduce the amount of PFOA used to make the coating and will guarantee that the chemical won't be released into the environment from DuPont manufacturing plants.

Yet in spite of all this, the agency website says, "At the present time, EPA does not believe there is any reason for consumers to stop using any consumer or industrial related products that contain PFOA." That's under normal use. You should not heat an empty nonstick pan to high temperatures or risk destabilizing the surface by plunging a hot pan into cold water, nor should you use nonstick pans for cooking at very high temperatures in general.

While nonstick cooking offers big benefits--ease of cleanup, drastically reduced need for oil--nobody has yet invented a coating that works as well as Teflon. But there's a low-tech solution that dates back hundreds of years: a good cast-iron skillet. It's cheaper than a coated pan, it browns food better, and as for the nonstick factor, when properly seasoned, it's nearly as good.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am asking if there are different levels of food being fried.

How healthy is it to eat fried food. Deep fried is of course a no no for health. What about light fried or medium fried?

Do people have to avoid fried food totally to achieve optimum health? or just eat it occasionally will be ok.

Fried food is tasty but it is not healthy. even for vegetables.

You like it RAW?? it is nutritious but it bring about many natural dangers, like ingesting worms & its eggs, not to mention pesticides both natural & man made & so forth...

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The nonstick coating used in DuPont’s Teflon® pans has been found to release one or more of 15 different toxic gases when heated to certain temperatures, but is generally safe when used according to manufacturers' specifications. Which chemicals are released depends on the temperature of the pan. This outgassing can be fatal to pet birds and can cause "polymer fume flu," also known as "Teflon® flu," in humans.

Teflon® flu creates flu-like symptoms of chills, headache, fever and nausea. Usually, symptoms subside within a few days, and chances are many people who have experienced it mistook it for the flu. However, there are also more serious risks.

One of the main chemicals used in the manufacturing process of Teflon® and other nonstick pans is perflurooctanoic acid (PFOA) also known as C-8. This chemical has led to cancer and birth defects in lab animals, and may have led to birth defects in DuPont plant workers. In 2005, an independent panel reporting to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) declared PFOA a likely human carcinogen.

Though DuPont is quick to point out the safety of Teflon® and to distance it from the chemical PFOA, studies show Teflon® cookware releases PFOA when heated to 680°F (360°C). This temperature can be reached fairly quickly, for example, a forgotten pan is left empty preheating on a very hot burner. DuPont acknowledges this, but points out that this is incorrect use of the cookware.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tony, frying is an evolved method of cooking. If one thinks about it, I don't think cooking oil was available during caveman days and in order to fry/deep fry something, one must have some decent cookware to hold the hot oil, not possible during Stone Age, so in that sense,. frying is quite modern then. With modern cooking comes modern diseases, (high blood pressure, high cholesterol) and modern diseases need modern treatment, (eg. Statin drugs, Lipitols) or exercise. In any case, lifespans have increased, which indicates and overall improvement, despite increased obesity rates. So, it (frying) can't be that bad.

Cheers!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tony, frying is an evolved method of cooking. If one thinks about it, I don't think cooking oil was available during caveman days and in order to fry/deep fry something, one must have some decent cookware to hold the hot oil, not possible during Stone Age, so in that sense,. frying is quite modern then. With modern cooking comes modern diseases, (high blood pressure, high cholesterol) and modern diseases need modern treatment, (eg. Statin drugs, Lipitols) or exercise. In any case, lifespans have increased, which indicates and overall improvement, despite increased obesity rates. So, it (frying) can't be that bad.

Cheers!

I am pointing out on the health effects of frying itself. If it is not healthy, then i will avoid it. simple as that.. If sinkies want to drink those cooking oil, that is their problem.. Why not ask the most educated person in the world, Vomjak, he will gives you a different answer.. but hor... you must drink distilled water first before talking to him... drinking distilled water = being highly educated.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am pointing out on the health effects of frying itself. If it is not healthy, then i will avoid it. simple as that.. If sinkies want to drink those cooking oil, that is their problem.. Why not ask the most educated person in the world, Vomjak, he will gives you a different answer.. but hor... you must drink distilled water first before talking to him... drinking distilled water = being highly educated.

Society is affluent these days, they eat what they can afford, not like when limpeh was a kid, eat whatever is given - and that was considered lucky as others had nothing to eat. Take a walk through the malls in Peesai and you will see all the eateries filled and crowded during eat times, even expensive ones like Sakae Sushi and Swenson's. And among the common general public, choice of eats is based on what the tongue desires or what the brain desires? And the amount of fried food eaten? Washed down by soda! French fries are the new staple! How healthy is that? I still think it is the new normal. Saturday nights, people eat more. Look at the Sunday Times, go through the pages and you will find almost half its contents are on gastronomical subjects. The whole society is food obsessed!

Cheers!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Society is affluent these days, they eat what they can afford, not like when limpeh was a kid, eat whatever is given - and that was considered lucky as others had nothing to eat. Take a walk through the malls in Peesai and you will see all the eateries filled and crowded during eat times, even expensive ones like Sakae Sushi and Swenson's. And among the common general public, choice of eats is based on what the tongue desires or what the brain desires? And the amount of fried food eaten? Washed down by soda! French fries are the new staple! How healthy is that? I still think it is the new normal. Saturday nights, people eat more. Look at the Sunday Times, go through the pages and you will find almost half its contents are on gastronomical subjects. The whole society is food obsessed!

Cheers!

so what are you pointing at? since the whole place you are staying where fried food is so common.. so let your guards down and eat??

if one wants to be healthy, you need effort and education for that and the discipline to do it too.

it is same as having money and be rich, you need effort, education and discipline to achieve your financial goals. If the place you stay is full of poor fucks, it does not mean you have to be a poor fuck yourself.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
so what are you pointing at? since the whole place you are staying where fried food is so common.. so let your guards down and eat??

if one wants to be healthy, you need effort and education for that and the discipline to do it too.

it is same as having money and be rich, you need effort, education and discipline to achieve your financial goals. If the place you stay has full of poor fucks, it does not mean you have to be a poor fuck yourself.

I do watch what I eat, but todate, it is not based entirely on health. I've avoided KFC because of the publicity hightlighted on their treatment of chickens, I do not go looking for exotic foods, nor expensive "classy" foods. I most likely prefer to eat what I like, given a choice. Try to eat healthy fruits and veggies, but it is not my first choice, normally. Overall, I'd say I'm a normal person sometimes giving in to temptations. Of course nobody wants to be unhealthy, but we operate within our comfort zones. Rich or poor is relative (to me). Money doesn't buy happiness (although it is better to be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy). It helps, but isn't everything. From the looks of it, money may be Singapore's downfall.

Cheers!