• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Farewell, honeymoon period in JC

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>April 13, 2009
MY SAY
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Farewell, honeymoon period in JC
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Shawn Woo
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THIS year marks the first time that junior colleges have just one intake for Year 1 students - something I find both a tragedy and travesty.
I believe the period between the first and second intakes, affectionately known as 'the first three months', is something that needs to be experienced to be appreciated.
School means more to students during those first three months than just lecture notes, homework and mid-year exams. Without it, we lose a massive social experiment, where teenagers get together and - horror of horrors - act their age.
The spontaneity needed to get people mass dancing to awkwardly choreographed Britney Spears' songs, for one, stems from a time of innocence and naivete found only in the first three months.
Yes, it doubtlessly caused massive headaches for administrators. But the time was enriching for other reasons, as several aspects of JC culture emerged:
Uniform swopping

Without knowing for sure where they would be, students wore their secondary school uniforms in junior college during that time, which they commonly exchanged with one another.
Lecture hopping

Before having to settle on one subject combination, students sampled a variety of subjects by crashing lectures they had no business attending - yes, even if that meant skipping other classes.
Orientation

Everyone knows that the first week of JC is orientation week, a time of OGs (Orientation Groups), mass dances, campfires and Angel-Mortal games - making it ripe for indulging in orientation hopping too, across JCs islandwide.
Enjoyable classes

Teachers, too, get inspired. The first three months inspire some of the most creative lessons. With students half switched-off and inattentive, what better time to experiment with the curriculum? I recall one literature class at which we were even tasked to critique songs by The Beatles and Rolling Stones. You don't have to be dull to be educational.
Boy meets girl

Inevitably, romance blossoms. With grades far from our minds, there is a sudden spike in boy-girl activity. Those from single-sex secondary schools turn this season into a time of discovery - complete with cringe-worthy faux pas, awkward silence and all-round discomfort. Call them life lessons.
These features of JC1 have now evaporated. Sure, orientation will probably be just as fun, and firm friendships will still be forged. And yes, most importantly, students will experience a smoother transition from secondary school.
But I still feel a sense of loss.
No first three months, no 'honeymoon period'. All too soon, the very Singaporean mentality of 'mugging' will set in.
This little quirk in the Singapore education system will be sorely missed - if not from an educational standpoint, then from a socio-cultural one.
For what it's worth, I had a blast.
The writer, 26, graduated from the National University of Singapore with a degree in political science last year. He is now a management associate at a local bank. He spent his first three months of JC at National Junior College.