• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Elderly mistreated at Nightingale Nursing Home caught on tape (Braddell Rd)

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your comment is a logical assumption which can be generalized in human intercourse. But sometimes kindness does not work. I know it sounds inhumane but it has to do with the cultural thingy.

This is where singaporeans fail. We tend to make judgement and decisions based on our own values and social experiences, but fail to recognize and understand the social fabric of other cultures in foreign countries. Foreigners in certain cultures actually do think we are dumb when we exercise kindness, old foreign friends do take the time to explain to me regarding the evolution of their social culture and individual mental construct. I know it sounds socially unacceptable. And I am not trying to discourage kindess towards workers.

I am not against FT workers in general as you can see in one of my previous post and in other threads as well. But the policy and administration has led to many abuses that has domino effect on the damages already done and more to come.

In the past, I have also posted that we will be bullied and dicriminated by foreign health care workers when we grow old and be outnumbered. I am not trying to boast my foresight here, but highlighting it for readers consideration on what is to come if we continue. Well, then I may be wrong and I hope I am wrong and gladly be wrong:smile:

As I see it, our current NATIVE younger generation will soon be devoid of the chance to work overseas in the worlds growing economies. New citizens from prc, india, etc. bring along their children. Their command of native language and foreign social network is very much stronger than a native singaporean ah lian and ah beng. With the pro FT stance, I do not think FT academic qualifications are scrutinized with due diligence (it is almost impossible) before they are throw at and compete with our native citizens. Please think about it.

Even in prc, there exists inter-provincal prejudices. Anti FT is a natural symptom when it get too much and too hot. Just like too much sex, it becomes a chore rather than an enjoyment.:o

Where will this road lead to for native singaporeans?

It appears that that's how FTs and Work Permit Holders get back on Sporeans who keep on condemning them. If we have treated them kinder, they could work harder for their bosses and respond better to Sporeans.

Last edited:
M

Mdm Tang

ST Forum
Home > ST Forum > Online Story
Jun 14, 2011
Don't leave elder care to private sector

WITH an increasing ageing population, there is a need to re-adjust our thinking on the care of the elderly. The plight of nursing homes has brought this issue up for discussion.

The Government should be taking an active role in this area and not leave it to private individuals to turn it into a money-making industry. It should be part of the hospital and polyclinic set-up to take care of the health of the people in a holistic fashion.

Elderly people should not be lumped together and left to spend their twilight years in "nursing homes".

There are clearly two groups of elderly:

- Those who cannot take care of themselves and need constant nursing care; and

- Those who can take care of themselves either fully or partly, but are physically or mentally weak due to old age.

So there should be two types of homes - "nursing homes" for the first group and "homes for the elderly" for the second.

These two groups should not be lumped together but should be cared for separately as their needs are different.

The Government should look into this and build and run such facilities for the people of Singapore.

There are many families having difficulty coping with children and ageing parents. The private nursing homes are in short supply and are charging very high fees as a result.

It is time for the Government to take action now before the problem grows to unmanageable proportions.

Dr George Wong

M

Mdm Tang

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110618-0000242/I-made-police-report-based-on-video

I Made Police Report Based On Video

Letter from Jolly Wee

04:47 AM Jun 18, 2011

I FELT an overwhelming need to seek justice for the old woman who was mistreated at the Nightingale Nursing Home and took the unusual step of making a report at the Marine Parade Police Centre as a "viewer" witness to the case. This was because I had only witnessed the mistreatment of the old woman when it was shown on TV.

I explained to the police that although I was not a witness at the scene as the mistreatment took place per se, the motion images of the woman being roughly handed, and her audible cries when being thrown onto the bed and slapped in the mouth as shown on TV, were in all senses to me akin to witnessing the incident as it happened in my presence.

My report was allowed, and I hope the police would look into the case to determine if the individuals had committed any offence against the old woman.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
My report was allowed, and I hope the police would look into the case to determine if the individuals had committed any offence against the old woman.

Good for you.

I hope the press will interview those nurses who threw that old woman to find out if they do it for pleasure or out of dissatisfaction with their boss.

Though the latter will not condone the act, yet it will hit the issue where it lay - that the Management has a part to play in this sorry act.

If the former, do introduce them to IMH.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110618-0000242/I-made-police-report-based-on-video

I Made Police Report Based On Video

Letter from Jolly Wee

04:47 AM Jun 18, 2011

I FELT an overwhelming need to seek justice for the old woman who was mistreated at the Nightingale Nursing Home and took the unusual step of making a report at the Marine Parade Police Centre as a "viewer" witness to the case. This was because I had only witnessed the mistreatment of the old woman when it was shown on TV.

I explained to the police that although I was not a witness at the scene as the mistreatment took place per se, the motion images of the woman being roughly handed, and her audible cries when being thrown onto the bed and slapped in the mouth as shown on TV, were in all senses to me akin to witnessing the incident as it happened in my presence.

Wonder why the police need someone watching TV to make a report before they can investigate. Do they not watch TV? Abuse can easily result in murder - just a matter of strength in the throwing of the old lady onto the bed - must everything wait till a life is lost before the relevant authority can take action - from school bus seat belt to MRT barrier to flood drowning?!

Last edited:

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
When old people are naughty, you need to cane or slap them to discipline them. Nothin' wrong with what the nurses did.

Yes, I am a local trash.

Skipped massage parlours long ago. Brothels, KTVs, unlicensed brothels - they are my haunting grounds. I have the time and money to engage in these activities. Successful man or not? Hahaha.

Haunting grounds. Haha, full-on retard.

M

Mdm Tang

When old people are naughty, you need to cane or slap them to discipline them. Nothin' wrong with what the nurses did.

Haunting grounds. Haha, full-on retard.

when your time comes ( or maybe mine , i pray otherwise )

i sincerely hope you enjoy it ...

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
when your time comes ( or maybe mine , i pray otherwise )

i sincerely hope you enjoy it ...

Come on, you are so naive, you think just because you are nice to a few old people around you, when you grow old, everyone will in turn be nice to you? Haha, the old people whom you are nice to won't even reciprocate, they will just insult you more, talk down to you, cheat you of your money, rape your wife etc. They are that bitter and heartless. They are old, dear. Old people are bitter, rude, smelly and they stand by nothing. Old people have got nothing to lose, they are already at the end of the cliff. They are like Kamakazi pilots or suicide bombers, their lives/body/soul are worth NOTHING.

And in all seriousness, what is wrong with slapping or caning 'em. If you don't slap or cane these old people, how are you to take them in hand when they misbehave? And many of them misbehave all day long. I think we might as well save the beds for the young who are sick and chain these old useless things by the neck, leash them to the lampost and feed them meals on a bowl three times a day.

Take a good look at this one. Tell me how are you to discipline this one without caning her if she misbehaves. What if she starts urinating on the bed for fun, are you going to buy new beds everyday? Spare the cane and spoil the oldie.

228499_10150169246080458_590345457_7195161_7237046_n.jpg

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
your old parents must have abused you when you are young ...dont worry uncle drifter will give you some food ..:wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
oh ..poor boy boy ...your old parents must have abused you when you are young ...dont worry uncle drifter will give you some food ..:wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Uncle drifter going to sleep now .. Tomorrow still have to wake up early to send you back RTC .. Or you prefer boys home ? Whahahah . Sorry , no time to tell you bedtime story now :wink:

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncle drifter going to sleep now .. Tomorrow still have to wake up early to send you back RTC .. Or you prefer boys home ? Whahahah . Sorry , no time to tell you bedtime story now :wink:

Okie dokie, old man. Have a good night sleep... remember to take out your false teeth and leave them in the cup, you don't want to swallow them while you are sleeping. And try not to wet the bed...sleep tite!

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shuuussshhhh 'lauhunku':mad:, old man drifter is sleeping, you of all people should know how hard it is for old people to fall asleep.... you know what they say.....let sleepin' dogs lie...:wink:

5430efa8d70b5ca5f24591803141_grande.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mdm Tang

This is sad news. Health ministry should take action against them.

The Straits Times

Published on Feb 17, 2012

Amy Khor, Healthcare

Nightingale Nursing Home will face legal action

By Tham Yuen-C

The Nightingale Nursing Home where staff were filmed mistreating an elderly resident in 2011 will be taken to task.

Dr Amy Khor, Minister of State for Health, said in reply to a parliamentary question that police investigations into the incident had been completed and legal action would be taken.

The case at Nightingale involved an elderly woman being wheeled into the ward, naked from waist up. Two female aides at the home then held her by her legs and armpits and flung her onto the bed.

The workers, both foreigners, had their work permits revoked when the video emerged in June last year, but had remained in Singapore to help with investigations.