• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

East Coast Plan unveiled

jw5

Loyal
Ministar Maliki taking photo with LHL. :wink:

1621705619926.png

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Singapore's challenge is to avoid economic scarring, emerge stronger from Covid-19: DPM Heng​

1621774131666.png

SINGAPORE - Countries around the world that are trying to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, including Singapore, must be mentally prepared that it will be a long and uncertain battle.

"We are actually fighting a very agile virus. Whenever there is any gap in our defence, it gets through, and multiplies exponentially," said Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat at the Nikkei Conference on Thursday (May 20).

The immediate challenge, he added, is to contain Covid-19 and avoid economic scarring.

Last year, the Government committed close to $100 billion - or 20 per cent of gross domestic product - in Covid-19 support across five Budgets.

Explaining the reason for providing this extensive support, Mr Heng said: "If companies were to be closed and workers retrenched, it will be very hard to rebuild when the situation gets better. So, maintaining that capability is very important."

At the same time, Covid-19 has accelerated changes ranging from digitalisation to sustainability, he added.

This is why industry transformation maps (ITMs) were launched in 2016 under the Future Economy Council (FEC), he said. These are road maps to drive transformation of 23 industries across manufacturing, built environment, trade and connectivity, essential domestic services, modern services and lifestyle.

To seize new opportunities in a post-Covid-19 world, the ITMs will be refreshed as part of a new plan over the next five years dubbed ITM 2025, with three new thrusts: incorporating the recommendations of the Emerging Stronger Taskforce; closer integration with research and innovation; and greater focus on jobs and skills.

Mr Heng, who is also Coordinating Minister for Economic Policies and chairman of the FEC, said: "We are looking at how to help companies adopt technology and innovation, re-engineer processes, and redefine jobs - which are very important when the population is ageing. We will also expand cooperation with other countries so that we can have a bigger market.

"Covid-19 has changed the rules of how many economic activities are conducted. The Emerging Stronger Taskforce has just issued a report, and I'll be incorporating that work into our plans."

The Government convened the 23-member task force last May to identify systemic shifts arising from Covid-19, and provide recommendations to the FEC on how Singapore could refresh, reimagine, or reset its economic strategies.

In a report released on Monday (May 17), the task force made recommendations to drive the Republic's transformation as a node for technology, innovation and enterprise.

They are: creating new virtual frontiers; seizing growth opportunities from sustainability; enabling global champions and growing an agile and strong Singapore core; institutionalising private-public partnerships through Alliances for Action (AfAs); and strengthening international partnerships, especially in South-east Asia.

While much of the world's attention is on the United States-China relationship, Singapore's good relations with its partners extends beyond these two countries, said Mr Heng.

Stressing that constructive competition can help promote innovation and new solutions, he said he hoped that Singapore will continue to work closely with all of its key partners.

Mr Heng said: "I hope that we take a open, inclusive approach to our relationships across the world."

jw5

Loyal
Ministar Maliki Osman should be a candidate to take over the leadership of East Coast GRC and carry out the East Coast Plan. :wink:

jw5

Loyal
from toc.com:

DPM Heng Swee Keat says foreigners can be considered “Singapore core”​

1621943783016.png

At a virtual press conference by the Emerging Stronger Taskforce held yesterday (17 May), Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat commented that the “Singapore core” should not be too narrowly defined in terms of whether someone is Singapore-born, a new citizen, or a foreigner who is helming a company.

“That test for us must be the commitment to Singapore, the commitment to the well-being of Singapore and of Singaporeans,” he said.

In other words, Heng is comfortable with, say, a foreigner to be included as part of “Singapore core” in addition to those native-born Singaporeans who need to serve his national service and reservist duties to his country.

Drawing on his own experiences running the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) during the 2008 to 2009 global financial crisis, Heng said many chief executives of international banks in Singapore had given him outstanding advice on how to deal with the crisis – demonstrating that they had Singapore’s interests at heart.

“Some of the CEOs from these banks are as Singaporean as Singaporeans who were born in Singapore and went through national service… in fact, some of them, whom I knew personally, had become Singapore citizens,” said the minister, without elaborating.

Of course, these foreign CEOs of international banks probably also didn’t want Singapore to fail for if Singapore does fail and companies who have borrowed money from them go bankrupt, their whole banking business here will fail too. Their careers and international standings will also go down together with Singapore.

As a multiracial, multicultural and multi-religious society, Singapore must not end up like some other countries and territories in the world, where the fear of losing jobs leads to a protectionist instinct where people as well as goods and services from other places are kept out, Heng cautioned.

“On the whole, I think we must get our strategic direction correct – that we welcome people from all over the world who can add value to us, (and) who share our views,” he said.

jw5

Loyal
from toc.com:

DPM Heng Swee Keat says foreigners can be considered “Singapore core”​

View attachment 111821

At a virtual press conference by the Emerging Stronger Taskforce held yesterday (17 May), Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat commented that the “Singapore core” should not be too narrowly defined in terms of whether someone is Singapore-born, a new citizen, or a foreigner who is helming a company.

“That test for us must be the commitment to Singapore, the commitment to the well-being of Singapore and of Singaporeans,” he said.

In other words, Heng is comfortable with, say, a foreigner to be included as part of “Singapore core” in addition to those native-born Singaporeans who need to serve his national service and reservist duties to his country.

Drawing on his own experiences running the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) during the 2008 to 2009 global financial crisis, Heng said many chief executives of international banks in Singapore had given him outstanding advice on how to deal with the crisis – demonstrating that they had Singapore’s interests at heart.

“Some of the CEOs from these banks are as Singaporean as Singaporeans who were born in Singapore and went through national service… in fact, some of them, whom I knew personally, had become Singapore citizens,” said the minister, without elaborating.

Of course, these foreign CEOs of international banks probably also didn’t want Singapore to fail for if Singapore does fail and companies who have borrowed money from them go bankrupt, their whole banking business here will fail too. Their careers and international standings will also go down together with Singapore.

As a multiracial, multicultural and multi-religious society, Singapore must not end up like some other countries and territories in the world, where the fear of losing jobs leads to a protectionist instinct where people as well as goods and services from other places are kept out, Heng cautioned.

“On the whole, I think we must get our strategic direction correct – that we welcome people from all over the world who can add value to us, (and) who share our views,” he said.

No wonder he nearly lost in East Coast GRC. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
from theindependent.sg:

To DPM Heng Swee Keat: Don’t devalue the Singapore core, remember Aloysius Pang

1621951496202.png

Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat wants Singaporeans to avoid having a narrow definition of “the Singapore core”. It does not matter whether someone is Singapore-born, a new citizen or a foreigner who is helming a company, he said: “That test for us must be the commitment to Singapore, the commitment to the well-being of Singapore and of Singaporeans.”

The Straits Times reported:

“Drawing on his own experiences running the Monetary Authority of Singapore during the 2008 to 2009 global financial crisis, Heng said many chief executives of international banks in Singapore had given him outstanding advice on how to deal with the crisis – demonstrating that they had Singapore’s interests at heart.

“Some of the CEOs from these banks are as Singaporean as Singaporeans who were born in Singapore and went through national service… in fact, some of them, whom I knew personally, had become Singapore citizens,” said the minister, without elaborating.”

You, yes, you, the Singapore core reader: Do you (1) Agree (2) Disagree. Whichever your answer, I suggest you send it to the REACH WHATSAPP CHAT GROUP.

Quote from REACH’s website: “As part of REACH’s engagement efforts, we invite you to participate in a REACH WhatsApp Chat Group and share your views on national policies. Our chat group will be open for feedback when the opportunity arises for us to discuss hot-button issues and national policies.”

Heng is leading the Emerging Stronger Taskforce and would certainly welcome feedback, I think.

If you agree with him and believe he is on the right track re the Singapore core, then all you have to do is send him an encouraging message which may go something like this:

“Dear DPM,

I hope you are fine. I wholeheartedly support you in the firm stand that you are taking once and for all to silence Singaporeans who must be kicked in the butt for being so nativist, so short-sighted and unable to see the big picture. We are a global city. We must welcome all talents, not just to work here and add to our small pool but also to settle down and become new citizens. It is not enough to say welcome. If possible, let’s bend over backwards to accommodate such foreign talents as our own.”

With such a message to the DPM and the EST, the chances are bo beh chau (Hokkien for no horse run, meaning, odds-on) that you will be invited to a conversation among like-minded pro-estab admirers or at worst, survivalist neutrals hoping for a piece of the action.

But, if you disagree, this is what you should say:

“Dear DPM,

I hope you are fine. Now that you have decided to opt out of the all too short runway to the Istana, you seem to have emerged fitter and stronger and ready to take on all the true-blue naysayers. I saw you on YouTube the other day. Wow. You really gave NCMP Leong Mun Wai a wallop in Parliament. Ta kasi chance, you and Speaker Tan Chuan-Jin. You were very angry, very firm and truly exasperated with him. In the exchange, viewers could see a different DPM who appeared a tad intolerant of someone who had every right to ask questions and offer his dissenting views.

Is this your true self? Many people thought you were one of the more acceptable faces of the establishment. And now, apart from giving an NCMP the mini hair dryer treatment, you suddenly come out with guns blazing at true-blue Singaporeans in staunch defence of new citizens.

You practically wave your fist at Singaporeans: “As a multiracial, multicultural and multi-religious society, Singapore must not end up like some other countries and territories in the world, where the fear of losing jobs leads to a protectionist instinct where people as well as goods and services from other places are kept out.”

From where have you got the impression that Singaporeans are anti-foreigners? Being, as you say, multi-everything, being able to live with people of different races and religions has been part of the national DNA. It still is. You have thrown a non-starter accusation, meant to somehow mislead and to lump the perfectly legitimate misgivings that Singaporeans are having about their future and place in their country into some kind of xenophobia.

Singaporeans have elected you into power to look after their interests. Whatever else that you consider may be important must be secondary to that.

It is about fairness and about not being short-changed.

I will end with reproducing what I wrote in 2019:

“In the end, at the heart of Singapore’s existence and survival must be the young man from MacPherson Lane.

“Not a skills-for-sale foreign talent from India or China in whom the government seems to have so much faith, frequently at the expense of locals who have to struggle to find a job and juggle their civilian existence with their heavy NS liabilities… And certainly not another PR citizen-pretender who would not wish to have his or her sons spend a second in conscription, probably looking down on all Singaporeans as suckers.

“Ultimately, the burden of national duty lies with men like the late Aloysius Pang who died on Wednesday Jan 23 from an accident during his reservist training in New Zealand. He was the true-blue son of Singapore. People like Pang are often taken for granted by a ruling regime who time and time again show a reluctance to categorically pledge their loyalty to true-blues as they open our gates to foreigners and fortune-hunters from around the world.”

Remember Aloysius Pang.

jw5

Loyal
It is better for Singapore that HSK is not the next PM. He obviously does not understand the mentality of foreigners who try to get PR or citizenship in Singapore. :cool:

jw5

Loyal
Hopefully Ministar Maliki Osman can be a good replacement for HSK in East Coast GRC. :thumbsup:

1621955766845.png

jw5

Loyal
from HSK facebook:

Heng Swee Keat
last Thursday
Spoke at the 26th International Conference on the Future of Asia today.
The world is facing the largest wave of COVID-19 infections since the start of the pandemic, at a time when the global order is under tremendous pressure. We need a coordinated global response to overcome the pandemic, and rebuild from this crisis. Constructive dialogue provides the foundation for bridging divides and building common purpose.
The Nikkei Conference has, over the decades, been a useful platform for regional leaders to exchange views and strengthen cooperation. I had a very productive visit to Japan in 2019 for the 25th edition of the Conference. Last year, the Conference was unfortunately cancelled because of the pandemic, but I was glad that we managed to meet virtually this year.
This year’s Conference focused on Asia’s role in the global recovery. Many good ideas were raised. In my speech, I contributed three suggestions on how Asia can work together – by strengthening our regional partnerships, maintaining constructive dialogue on difficult issues, and investing in emerging opportunities to unlock Asia’s growth potential. I also had a short Q&A session with Okumura-san of Nikkei Asia.
With stronger global cooperation, Asia and the world can emerge stronger together from the pandemic, and contribute to a better global order.
You can read my full speech here: https://go.gov.sg/futureofasia

jw5

Loyal
from HSK facebook:

Heng Swee Keat
last Thursday
The world is facing the largest wave of COVID-19 infections since the start of the pandemic, at a time when the global order is under tremendous pressure. We need a coordinated global response to overcome the pandemic, and rebuild from this crisis. Constructive dialogue provides the foundation for bridging divides and building common purpose.
The Nikkei Conference has, over the decades, been a useful platform for regional leaders to exchange views and strengthen cooperation. I had a very productive visit to Japan in 2019 for the 25th edition of the Conference. Last year, the Conference was unfortunately cancelled because of the pandemic, but I was glad that we managed to meet virtually this year.
This year’s Conference focused on Asia’s role in the global recovery. Many good ideas were raised. In my speech, I contributed three suggestions on how Asia can work together – by strengthening our regional partnerships, maintaining constructive dialogue on difficult issues, and investing in emerging opportunities to unlock Asia’s growth potential. I also had a short Q&A session with Okumura-san of Nikkei Asia.
With stronger global cooperation, Asia and the world can emerge stronger together from the pandemic, and contribute to a better global order.

HSK once again given unimportant tasks. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
from HSK facebook:

Heng Swee Keat
last Thursday

As Confucious said before, nothing said that has not been said before. :coffee: