• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you consider this a warship?

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's all clear the air on the definition of 'warship'. I'm no 'rear admiral', heh, so I'd just adopt the Google standard - 'a government ship that is available for waging war'.

Gunboats vary in definition too - a small 5-man patrol boat armed with a .50 that plied the Mekong Delta during Nam was considered a gunboat. According to Wiki - 'A gunboat is literally a boat carrying one or more guns.' Strictly following that defintion, the battleship Yamato can also be called a gunboat.

Somalian pirates, or modern pirates, nowadays captain skiffs as their main vessel, and usually follow these tactics :

1) Identify target, follow, and stay below horizon line/detection.
2) Night(usually) quick approach of intended target within fast assault craft (short-range open sea dinghys) strike range.
3) Launch of multiple fast assault craft with boarding crew armed with light automatic weapons.
4) Shock and board target from multiple points.
5) Skiff to approach and complete takeover of ship, then retract to safe distance with holding crew on board ship, and hostages split up.

The most damaging steps are #3 and #4, where the target is boarded on multiple fronts by small assault teams. Most lives are lost here, and this is precisely where the international task force hope to intervene.

1) Fast assault craft spotted by lookout(s)/radar. Friend-or-Foe protocol.
2) Ship captain radio broadcast of impending assault to friendlies in area.
3) Proximity friendlies launch fast air-response group to assist and defend.
4) Proximity friendlies launch response crews in fast assault craft to assist, board, and secure.
5) Proximity friendlies co-ordinate hunt-and-converge patterns on commanding pirate skiff(s).

Looking at the strategy, priorities are to 1) defend against the first wave of boarding crew via fast air response, 2) send marines to secure and defend the ship and its crew, and 3) co-ordinate naval forces to hunt and capture the master/commanding pirate vessel.

It might be the Wild West to the Somalians in that open sea, but to the international task force, they are not there to invade Somalia and openly slaughter Somalian pirates, they are there to provide a deterrent force, while the bigwigs try to resolve Somalia's key problems - poverty, easy access to arms, and piracy recruitment.

Again, the international task force's role is not to blow up anything on the waters that moves and have little black figures onboard, it is to deter and defend against piracy attempts, capture perpetrators, and eliminate the root of the problem.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Assuming that by fluke they capture some pirates :p

What are they going to do with the so called pirates :confused:

Give them a work permit to work in Spore? Spend money keeping them in Changi prison? What is the plan :confused:

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal

Give them a work permit to work in Spore? Spend money keeping them in Changi prison? What is the plan :confused:

They'll follow the French and let them go.

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal

They'll follow the Americans and waterboard them.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They'll follow the Americans and waterboard them.

Who is going to pay for the precious water?? Even the famous cold room need power to run.

PAP is all about making $$$ & having somali pirates to feed is not the Lee way. Expect the ship to return after a month or two with much fanfare, MPs will make speeches about a job well done, mission acomplished, etc, etc. Accompanied by some medals & promotions :rolleyes:

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
LST got one gun infromt plus 1 super puma. but up to now they are only like barking dog which don bite. how to fight piracy without firing any bullet? up to now they are like peace keeping force, chase the pirate and never fight them. who know perhaps the pirate king is like the genral of burma got many money investment in sg.

They got remember to issue live rounds onot? ......... or are they still carrying their dummy rounds :biggrin:

AvalanCh3

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style>I would rather send a ship with huge guns poking all over.However antiquated.The mere sight would scare the shit out of any pirates.Confrontation are usually won at a psychological level without firing single shot.The message is don't mess with me or.....:biggrin:

well, you will win the war against pirates but not the war again the other countries in political sense, why?

1. the big countries are killing and capturing pirates. only by using force in this way will actually stop the pirates and they will think twice even if the army is not around. further, which country in south east asia really fought the pirates? send an army which does not bring victory is as good as not going, may as well leave to the big countries to do it.

2. the pirates are not protected under international law, even if u kill or catch them, who will fight for their rights? this way by killing them, it will send a clear message to your neighbour that our army is not for show, they are serious when they are out there. there is what it really means by deterrence

3. the money we spend in defence is a lot more and what many countries are spending which allows our navy to have good equipment and yet when time of call, they bring no result, den wtf we spend so much time in training for? if our empty head and scared to die regular don even dare to fire at pirates, den will they really defend our country? especially when they are going for such dangerous mission, i believe government sure give them more money for the risk involve but it looks like they are just pocketing the money without doing any real work, rather than chasing pirates away.

4. i would repect them if they are heros, which comes back in victory than survivor. only our media will glory them and make tv talk about their adventure with pirates. but wtf again remember how the news talk about their willing to fight pirates and come back in talk about how they fight pirates when logically they are not even fighting. 'yea i fight pirates(actually i just hide under the pillow and order my men to chase the pirates with super puma. by some 2 or 3 crab officers)

i mean com'on la our navy is more organise, more equipment, just one missle to sink one boat and year after year their budget only increase and even in recession their budget is the most and when the call of duty comes, they are not even a player in the fight.

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal
They got remember to issue live rounds onot? ......... or are they still carrying their dummy rounds :biggrin:

They got unlimited rounds leh.... You forgot about the "Bang" "Bang" "Bang" rounds that can be issued at anytime, anyplace to anyone.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>i mean com'on la our navy is more organise, more equipment, just one missle to sink one boat and year after year their budget only increase and even in recession their budget is the most and when the call of duty comes, they are not even a player in the fight.
>>>

errrr!...for colliding with merhcant ships during peaceful time....and that is off Singapore waters or in Singapore waters!...

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
They got unlimited rounds leh.... You forgot about the "Bang" "Bang" "Bang" rounds that can be issued at anytime, anyplace to anyone.

bangbang.jpg

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
>i mean com'on la our navy is more organise, more equipment, just one missle to sink one boat and year after year their budget only increase and even in recession their budget is the most and when the call of duty comes, they are not even a player in the fight.
>>>

errrr!...for colliding with merhcant ships during peaceful time....and that is off Singapore waters or in Singapore waters!...

It was why it happened. The small fry was thinking "I am a WARSHIP" and expected everyone else to siam out of its way.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
ha ha LOL
you notice one weakness of this ship, the big gun only protect the front. if the pirate come from behind quietly, they can capture it.

A couple of SEALS snipers will take care of that :biggrin: Wonder if our RSN has snipers on board?

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder how many un-manned crafts this baby will be carrying. Superpumas carry torpedos and the gun is in the aft. There are also commandos for raiding suspect ships.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
warship8.jpg

ships with guns all over the place have been obsolete since WW2. Modern navies use long-range missiles that can destroy any of such ships. The puny gun in front of modern ships is just for 'just-in-case' defense. As for the RSN vessel's defense, all it needs is a platoon of armed men to shoot any pirates approaching them. Ship guns cannot hit pirates attacking in little boats.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
ships with guns all over the place have been obsolete since WW2. Modern navies use long-range missiles that can destroy any of such ships. The puny gun in front of modern ships is just for 'just-in-case' defense. As for the RSN vessel's defense, all it needs is a platoon of armed men to shoot any pirates approaching them. Ship guns cannot hit pirates attacking in little boats.

<style></style>There is a lot of speculation here.All warships are built for utilitarian purpose in modern days.Unlike the 'man-of-war' of yore years built to fight pirates.So every guess is as good as others so as to speak.Notwithstanding vessels built for coast guards would be deemed to best suit the purpose.Small ,high speed with excellent maneuverability.But how to get these across the blue ocean in unfriendly waters is entirely another issue.Logistics has to come from a mother ship..

So we reckon all these display of warships in Somalia territory is just another token sake kind of thingy.That is why I had mentioned in my previous post confrontation are won on psychological basis.Show the pirates as many guns as they could see and hope for the best.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style>Royal Malaysian Navy has the best expertise in dealing with pirates.If I am not mistaken an international head quarter for dealing with piracy is based in KL.There is also an elite unit here trained to board ships hijacked by pirates.

Straits of Malacca was the most pirate infested hot area prior to Somalia situation.Indonesia,Malaysia and sinkie worked out something amongst them and are quite successful now.The word 'boogie-man' is derived from the Malay word "Bugis'-the ancient sea faring race and pirates.