• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[COVID-19 Virus] The Sinkies are fucked Thread.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
the way OYK qualifies his statement that our hospital can handle 2.5 to 3k cases worries me...
Loh kun choo ownself label ownself as COVID cluster, that’s a problem.

If my guesstimates are up-to-date, currently around up to 10K beds catered for normal (non-C19+) wards, around 3.5K beds catered for C19+ mild symptoms and just under 0.45K ICU beds (for all critical patients, C19+ or not). Ong mentioned before a total of 1K beds can be ICU-ready for C19+ patients, not sure if these would be converted from those HD wards or just take the beds from normal wards to put into ICU rooms. In any case, better to be prepared than to be caught with the pants down.

The weakest link by far is manpower in the hospital, followed by MOH/CERTIS working styles- where both can’t seem to get their act together, totally no synergy. The latter creates a drag and lag time, end up resulting in more potential mini-clusters within familial groups and relatives/friends. Which in turns hit the weakest link as mentioned before- this is called shooting your own foot.
TTSH & CGH already teng mm shun a while back, TTSH especially- diverting cases to SKGH & NTF.

Those 10K beds for non-COVID around 75-80% filled, turnaround also slow, i.e only 2K beds available for conversion in any worst case scenario. Those 3.5K beds catered for C19+ patients currently around 1K filled.

With @SOS input that some hospitals COVIDed, you can only imagine the manpower crunch MOH is facing right now, surely lagi teng mm shun. Don’t say daily 5K cases, even 3K daily cases MOH also tak boleh tahan.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
the manpower crunch MOH is facing right now, surely lagi teng mm shun. Don’t say daily 5K cases, even 3K daily cases MOH also tak boleh tahan.
agree
as i say again, if i a.r.t myself and 2 lines appear, i wouldn't be bothered to seek medical but will self isolate and recuperate at home and hope for the best. going to the horsepeter now is going to a warzone.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal

EXPERT COMMITTEE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION RECOMMENDS A BOOSTER DOSE OF MRNA COVID-19 VACCINE FOR PERSONS AGED BETWEEN 50 AND 59 YEARS, SIX MONTHS AFTER COMPLETION OF THEIR PRIMARY SERIES​

24TH SEP 2021​

The Expert Committee on COVID-19 Vaccination (EC19V) has been closely reviewing the data regarding the need for additional vaccine dose, and recommends that persons aged between 50 and 59 years should receive a booster dose of a Pandemic Special Access Route (PSAR) mRNA vaccine from six months after the completion of vaccination with two doses

2. EC19V had earlier recommended that persons 60 years of age and above, and residents of aged care facilities should receive a booster dose of a PSAR mRNA vaccine. Data from Israel’s nationwide booster vaccination rollout shows that a vaccine booster in persons aged 50-59 years maintains strong protection against COVID-19 without additional safety concerns, similar to that for persons age 60 years and older.

3. COVID-19 cases in Singapore are continuing to rise, and we can expect transmission to persist as we transition to COVID-19 resilience. Adults aged 50-59 years have a higher risk of severe disease compared to younger persons, and the current levels of protection could decrease over time. Therefore, persons between 50 and 59 years of age are now also recommended to receive a booster dose of a PSAR mRNA vaccine from six months after their primary vaccine course to maintain a high level of protection against severe disease.

DOSING FOR MODERNA VACCINE

4. While there are no significant safety concerns on the use of the Moderna vaccine for the recommended population groups, recent data has shown that a 50 mcg dose of the Moderna vaccine, as compared to the 100 mcg dose used for the primary series vaccination, is sufficient to boost the immune response significantly.

5. EC19V therefore recommends that for persons receiving the Moderna vaccine as a booster, the 50 mcg dose should be used. Persons receiving the Moderna vaccine for their primary vaccination (first two doses) and severely immunocompromised persons who require a three-dose enhanced primary vaccination, should continue to receive the 100 mcg dose of the Moderna vaccine.

6. For the Pfizer vaccine, the dose for primary vaccination and boosters remains the same, at 30 mcg per dose, as there is no data yet to recommend any changes.

7. EC19V will continue to monitor the data and developments around COVID-19 vaccination and will update its recommendations based on the latest scientific and clinical evidence.

EXPERT COMMITTEE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION
24 SEPTEMBER 2021

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your oximeter reading sam seh bo tui peen, please kua loh kun hor.
yep.
oximeter always on standby and i measure daily since i got it
i had pneumonia b4, so i shd know when it's cumming
the last time i had it, i walked to the clinic half hunched and couldn't even stand up straight.
reach the clinic and nurse saw me, bypass others and immediately bring me to doc
doc look at me and told me, i am calling an ambulance now!
peeporpeepor all the way to horsepeter
haaaa
admitted and put on ventilator and jab all sorts of rubbish and recovered in a week
haaaa

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good outlook. Whatever will be will be. :thumbsup:
could have died many times in my lifetime
pri sch get knocked down by car and flew 10m while crossing road, peeporpeepor to horsepeter never die.
sec sch rode bicycle in east coast very fast, fainted on bike and crash landed into what I also dunno, wake up in horsepeter, never die.
ns days heat stroke in track 13 lck on mission, peeporpeepor again to horsepeter, never die
working life, tio pneumonia, as mentioned b4, never die..
... so one day covid will finally bring me to rest...

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The ministry said that all of these, together with his advanced age, made him more susceptible to severe illness."

In short, they are now saying that these old farts up lorry because of their old age and pre-existing conditions. Therefore, even the vaccine can't help them.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Covid-19 is treated in the mass media as a very dangerous disease in the face of which mass vaccination and severe restrictions for the whole society are applauded despite few deaths beyond the risk groups. But in Norway, it has now been decided to treat it like other respiratory diseases, such as influenza or the cold virus, because according to the Norwegian Institute of Public Health it is no longer more dangerous than these.​

hosbeds.jpg

The Norwegian Institute of Public Health FHI has made the remarkable, but statistically supported, decision to classify Covid-19 as a respiratory disease that is as dangerous as the common flu. It is clarified that the pandemic is not over, but that it has entered a new phase where Covid-19 is now equated with a common respiratory disease, such as a flu or respiratory infection. This is done, among other things, due to the mutations that the Coronavirus has undergone, which makes it less dangerous, together with increased natural and vaccination-induced immunity that has been achieved in Norwegian society.

Geir Bukholm. Photo: FHI

Although the infection itself continues to circulate in the population, this does not mean an increase in hospital stays, which in itself means that the Coronavirus no longer creates a large burden on healthcare in Norway. This is because the vast majority of those at risk are protected. Those who are vaccinated also get severe symptoms and those who are not in the risk groups also usually only get ordinary mild cold symptoms. FHI thus makes the assessment that the Coronavirus now joins the ranks of other respiratory viruses such as the common cold and seasonal flu.

“It is something positive and sends out signals that at least in Norway, at the moment, they consider themselves aware of the situation,” said Niklas Arnberg, professor of virology at Umeå University and chairman of the Pandemic Foundation to Aftonbladet.

More contagious but less dangerous​

The FHI believes that the pandemic itself is not over because it is still out in the world and is spreading at the same time as the proportion of people vaccinated worldwide is low. As long as it spreads outside the territories of rich countries, it will be a continuing pandemic, it is said.

With fewer in the high-risk groups who are in need of healthcare, the burden on healthcare decreases sharply.

The second factor is one that is well known, namely that viruses with very few exceptions over time on purely evolutionary grounds develop towards becoming more contagious but at the same time less lethal. Sars-CoV-2 has undergone thousands of mutations and different variants have replaced each other in the rate of spread and degree of infection, but which have continuously proved less and less deadly. This spread also continues among vaccinated people as the degree of vaccine protection against this variant is lower than against previous variants, which also enables its continued spread, even in countries where the majority of the population has been vaccinated.

In the studies conducted by FHI, it has been found that both partially and fully vaccinated people who receive Covid-19 have a low risk of having to go to hospital for care, but that the same also applies to healthy people who do not belong to risk groups. In those who were partially vaccinated, it has been concluded that the degree of protection against the Delta variant is only 22 percent, which increases to 65 percent for those who received two doses of vaccine. There are still low degrees of efficacy compared with the Alpha variant of the virus, where the degree of protection was instead 55 percent and 84 percent for those vaccinated.

According to the latest statistics from FHI, 67 new patients have been admitted to hospital with Covid-19 as the main cause during week 37, which is a decrease from 95 cases the week before. But of the new cases in week 37, only 9 patients needed intensive care, a decrease from 22 from the previous week.

It is also believed that the risk of needing medical care increases for those who are completely unvaccinated, but this is otherwise dependent on the risk group you are in. Around 40 percent of those who needed to be admitted for care in Norway during the past week have, for example, been fully vaccinated but have then an overwhelming majority belonged to risk groups. Around 5 percent have been partially vaccinated and around 55 percent of those admitted have not been vaccinated at all. A total of 11 people died with Covid-19 during week 37, a decrease from 13 deaths the previous week. The average age of those who died in week 37 was 80 years and thus in the risk group.

In Norway, 90 percent of the population over the age of 18 have received their first dose and 83 percent have received their second dose and are thus considered fully vaccinated.

Influenza does not require mass vaccination​

The significantly improved situation in Norway means that they choose to classify Covid-19 as a respiratory infection of the same degree of danger as influenza. This does not mean that it is seen as harmless, but rather that just as in the case of influenza, it is believed that it can be managed and that the risks for patients with a Covid-19 or influenza infection are comparable and that it is for people in the risk groups.

“The total societal costs for virus-caused diseases can be tens of billions of kronor every year, without us having a pandemic,” Arnberg told Swedish daily Aftonbladet. He cited common colds and stomach ailments as causes for this.

Every year, between 300 000 and 1,5 million Swedes fall ill with the flu, but few still die, only between 700 and 2000 annually, with fairly large annual variations within this range. As in the case of Covid-19, it is in the risk groups that the overwhelming majority of deaths occur, but no mass vaccinations are carried out at the societal level despite this.

More children aged 10-19, for example, die of the common flu each year, between five and ten children, which is more than what died with Covid-19 in 2020 and 2021, as according to the National Board of Health and Welfare’s death register only four children who died with Covid-19 so far. In terms of this age group, the flu is more dangerous than Covid-19. This is interesting in itself, because in Norway, unlike Sweden, they have chosen not to vaccinate children under 12 years of age.

The future looks bright​

By the winter, it is suspected in Norway that the hospitals will not be burdened with patients who have fallen ill with Covid-19, but instead there will be a mixture of Covid-19, other respiratory infections and common flu.

“I think we have reached the top this time. Then I think instead that we will get a winter wave that comes later. But we do not think it will be bigger than the healthcare system can handle,” Geir Bukholm told Verdens Gang.

According to FHI’s assessments, the infection is on the decline, fewer people become seriously ill, very few die and Norway’s assessment that Covid-19 is no longer more dangerous than a common flu looks increasingly correct.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The ministry said that all of these, together with his advanced age, made him more susceptible to severe illness."

In short, they are now saying that these old farts up lorry because of their old age and pre-existing conditions. Therefore, even the vaccine can't help them.
That's not what they are saying. It's what you are deducing. :biggrin:

But you're not wrong. The data would suggest that if you're someone in your 80s and have underlying health problems, when COVID pays you a visit, it's likely your time to go. Vaccinated or not.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
You agree with their strategies?

dont think they have much manoeuvring space.
they need time to revax the vaxxers to bring serious and icu cases down going ahead and at the same time cannot afford to shut down too much.
there's a huge political cost to pay if they go to either extreme ends, so they will try to stay in the middle ground

Last edited:

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
home recovery currently badly managed needs to be efficiently implemented and revax also. once they get pass these 2 hurdles, i tink they will reduce serious and icu cases and also hospitalisation overload.
Damn straight.

To be fair, this is something not done before. So many teething problems need to be ironed out.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
@glockman ... case 72389 (unvax) and case 77456 (vax) suffers from COPD. It's a common illness for smokers, especially the elderly ones who have been smoking for decades and COPD sets in slowly...

Better quit smoking or at least cut down the number of sticks per day...
Sure or not? Smokers are protected lah. So I not scared!:biggrin: KNN, these days everything also blame smoking.

Despite the main complications of SARS-CoV-2 infection regard lung involvement, the prevalence of current smoking in COVID-19 patients is very low, thus questioning the role of coexisting active smoking as a risk factor for COVID-19 pneumonia https://bit.Iy/3eUnl1R
https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/55/6/2001290

A number of recent studies have found low percentages of smokers among COVID-19 patients, causing scientists to conclude that smokers may be protected against SARS-CoV-2 infection. National and international media were interested in this story and we soon began receiving questions about this topic in general practice. In this article, we shed light on the process that resulted in the misinterpretation of observational research by scientists and the media. We also point out the methodological flaws of various studies on which hasty conclusions were based. Finally, we address the role of primary healthcare providers in mitigating the consequences of erroneous claims about a protective effect of smoking.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41533-021-00223-1

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waterloo Street Temple Closes Till 24 Oct In Line With Tighter Covid-19 Measures

Though the upcoming Covid-19 restrictions are nothing close to a lockdown, some venues may still want to take extra precautions by closing temporarily. One of them is the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple at Waterloo Street.
waterloo-temple-side.jpg
Always seeing a constant stream of visitors, news of its closure came after the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced new safety measures on Friday (24 Sep).

Temporary closure of Waterloo Street temple from 27 Sep – 24 Oct​

According to Shin Min Daily News, the Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple announced its impending closure this afternoon (25 Sep).

The premises will close from Monday (27 Sep) to 24 Oct, when the new Covid-19 restrictions are likely to end.

The closure is apparently in line with the latest measures to help reduce community transmission risks.

The temple also hopes to protect the safety of its visitors amid the recent spike in daily Covid-19 cases.

Not the first time the temple has closed during the pandemic​

A popular spot for devotees, the Waterloo Street temple has closed its doors to visitors multiple times throughout the pandemic.
Each time it reopens, regular visitors would be raring to drop by again, even forming a long queue outside the premises.

Thankfully, the temple has been able to implement safety measures that they adhere to strictly to keep visitors safe.

Considering their consistency so far, we’re sure they’ll do the same when they reopen after 24 Oct.

Best to stay home as much as possible​

As Singapore continues to report 4-digit Covid-19 case numbers daily, reducing our social activities significantly would be a good decision.

Not only does that mean a lower possibility of exposure to the virus, but it also means that we help protect our loved ones and others around us from possible infections too.

Hopefully, the all-clear for a safe reopening will come soon, so devotees can visit places of worship again and everyone can meet friend groups once more.