• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[COVID-19 Virus] The Sinkies are fucked Thread.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right now do wear a mask and practice good hygiene whenever you have a chance to...do be mindful of going to see a gp though cos any flu like symptoms with a fever he has the right to send you to ncid to be quarantined...a week or so perhaps...and u will still need to pay the medical fees...so if u dont c u may die u c u lose a lot of time and sleep and make your family members panic...so morale here is 自己保护自己..lots of exercise sleep water sex and fruits and veggies.. take care bros

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
LW not general.

Actually SAF is damn lousy training ground for politician especially if they are generals.

LW not a General.

Not sure about his Reservist Rank - at best a Major. Maybe a Sargeant only .

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I heard the shortage of masks in Sinkieland is due to Chinese buying in large quantity to bring home. Good work PAP.

It's not just Sinkieland. The Tiongs are snapping up masks everywhere.
Hoard the masks, sell them at a high price in Tiongland. Huat ah!

Thailand:

gVNOy6m.jpg

Buy masks until fight breaks out:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
The flu is a far bigger threat to most people in the US than the Wuhan coronavirus. Here's why.

Hey Sam. Just following the developments so far and at first wasn't sure whether you're right in not worrying or the rest of the forum is watching the sky falling. Turns out now some numbers are in, you may be closer to the truth. However, I will say that it's very natural for people to be worried. In the case of a novel disease, a whole bunch of things are unknown. Modes of transmission, virulence and infectivity, incubation periods are all unknown at the onset of a novel infectious disease. I guess it's hardwired within humans to freak out and err on the safe side. The cost benefit relationship of infectious diseases biases survival to the more cautious people.

You mention that the current season's flu is far more worrisome than the Wuhan virus. That's not true. The case fatality rate for the typical seasonal flu tops out at 2.x% Just because tens of thousands of people are dying from the flu right now is not something to worry about if your chances of dying are 1-2%. Meaning hundreds of millions are being infected. If however the case fatality rate is 50+% as it was with H5N1, I bet you would sit up and notice if hundreds of millions are infected. So your point that tens of thousands of people are already dead or dying from the flu doesn't really mean much. We're used to those odds and they won't freak us out. Give us 50%, and I will freak out.

I don't know if the numbers are solid yet, but so far coronavirus has a case fatality just over 2.5% which puts it at the deadlier end of a typical flu, so it would not really be of concern. Of course, it could be based on BS numbers, disease may yet mutate, etc. etc. But for now your conclusion appears more correct. :smile:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hey Sam. Just following the developments so far and at first wasn't sure whether you're right in not worrying or the rest of the forum is watching the sky falling. Turns out now some numbers are in, you may be closer to the truth. However, I will say that it's very natural for people to be worried. In the case of a novel disease, a whole bunch of things are unknown. Modes of transmission, virulence and infectivity, incubation periods are all unknown at the onset of a novel infectious disease. I guess it's hardwired within humans to freak out and err on the safe side. The cost benefit relationship of infectious diseases biases survival to the more cautious people.

You mention that the current season's flu is far more worrisome than the Wuhan virus. That's not true. The case fatality rate for the typical seasonal flu tops out at 2.x% Just because tens of thousands of people are dying from the flu right now is not something to worry about if your chances of dying are 1-2%. Meaning hundreds of millions are being infected. If however the case fatality rate is 50+% as it was with H5N1, I bet you would sit up and notice if hundreds of millions are infected. So your point that tens of thousands of people are already dead or dying from the flu doesn't really mean much. We're used to those odds and they won't freak us out. Give us 50%, and I will freak out.

I don't know if the numbers are solid yet, but so far coronavirus has a case fatality just over 2.5% which puts it at the deadlier end of a typical flu, so it would not really be of concern. Of course, it could be based on BS numbers, disease may yet mutate, etc. etc. But for now your conclusion appears more correct. :smile:

All I'm doing is requesting that people react in a rational manner to all this hype.

In this day and age where traffic to websites is paramount the mainstream media resorts to all sorts of outlandish and preposterous headlines in the fight to the death for clicks. Everything is grossly exaggerated or constructed to be as alarmist as possible.

If you work out the probability of dying traffic accidents are the elephant in the room but they happen multiple times a day to the point that they are hardly newsworthy anymore.

Those who are truly worried about death should put on a crash helmet before stepping into a bus or taxi. It will reduce the chance of death or serious injury far more than putting on a useless mask that is full of leaks anyway.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I'm doing is requesting that people react in a rational manner to all this hype.

In this day and age where traffic to websites is paramount the mainstream media resorts to all sorts of outlandish and preposterous headlines in the fight to the death for clicks. Everything is grossly exaggerated or constructed to be as alarmist as possible.

ah so... yes the world is one big online shouting match. May the most outlandish win.

If you work out the probability of dying traffic accidents are the elephant in the room but they happen multiple times a day to the point that they are hardly newsworthy anymore.

Those who are truly worried about death should put on a crash helmet before stepping into a bus or taxi. It will reduce the chance of death or serious injury far more than putting on a useless mask that is full of leaks anyway.
your statistical analysis is correct, but humans by and large are creatures of emotional response. if there is something new and unknown :eek: our monkey brains kick into panic mode and we scramble (ok maybe not you) to rationalize and contain however ineffectively with leaky bottles this new and unknown fear. Don't even need traffic accidents. Bathroom accidents alone even worse. But it is something that we have had time to acclimatize to and our fear factors mitigated. As you say, we should be jumping in fright whenever we see a car because of the number of humans who have died or were seriously injured by cars.

nice that NZ is relatively isolated from tiongland.