• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Condo Residents want Singapore Buddhist Lodge to be torn down!

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
pc_600x450.jpg

Some residents are asking for the authorities to tear down a temple near their homes.

These residents recently moved into newly-built private apartments near the well-known Singapore Buddhist Lodge located at Kim Yam Road near River Valley Road.

They are complaining that the temple is too noisy and that devotees' vehicles are obstructing traffic.

Due to these reasons, some residents intend to motion for the authorities to tear down the 60-year-old temple.

Many netizens are condemning these residents and saying that they are a self-centred bunch.

Netiens point out that if the newly moved-in residents cannot stand the smoke and noise from a temple, they should not buy a home near a temple in the first place.

The Singapore Buddhist Lodge is no stranger to complaints.

A spokesperson of the temple says that in the past, residents have complained about the noise from the ventilator in the temple's chimney, and about devotees turning up for breakfast at 4am at the temple.

The spokesperson says that the temple tries its best to take corrective action after receiving complaints, but can only do so within reasonable limits.

On complaints from residents of the newly-built apartment, the spokesperson points out that the access roads were in fact blocked by construction vehicles parked at both sides of the road.

The construction vehicles belonged to the contractor of the new apartments.

Despite this, accusing fingers were once again pointed at the temple.

The temple has not heard any news about requests to tear it down.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any surveys done to find out whether the majority of new residents are Christians, Catholics, Hindus, Muslims and Maoists?

groinroot

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is similar to the story of a newly imported Chinaman telling a local Indian not to cook curry.
The temple has been there for about 60 years and newcomer neighbours want it to be torn down. The newcomers should have checked out the area before buying their homes. The temple should dig its heels in. If the temple goes, PAP will lose more votes. I wonder to what nationality, race and religion these newcomers belong to? Then the motive will unfold.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stay in the West and the fighter aircrafts landing at Tengah airbase would fly super low over the flats around us. The noise can be maddening and unbearable. If go along the residents way of doing things, should we ask the govt to tear down Tengah airbase?

Muachee

Alfrescian
Loyal
In propertyguru review, the reviewer said temple no problem wor..

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/singapore-condo-reviews/langston-ville-781

Quote :

Excellent place and location

Posted by Lady Wawa on Nov 21, 2010
Prime location - Just outside the hustle and bustle of Orchard belt but close enough to walk there.

Sheltered and underground carpark with abundant lots.

Quiet neighbourhood. Would expect temple to be noisy but so far it's been peaceful

Highly recommended for people who seek convenience at an affordable price range as not many condos in District 9 are going at this price.

Don't expect much in terms of condo facilities though.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then you should not buy home there same as the condo resident should not buy the condo in the 1st place.
If Condo resident think they really big/powerful just buy over the temple. If cannot afford just keep quite.
Because Temple is build there 1st.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Used to rent a room around the place for a few months. The place is dusty because of the construction of condominiums around the area.

Don't think the temple is noisy but temple can be crowded during weekends and certain days. There are also a lot of cars that park along Kim Yan Road on these days. Think the tenants of the condominium want act 'high class' and not associate with living beside a temple. The temple welcome anyone regardless of faith to eat there. The food actually not bad.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Toxic Fumes

ramadan-a-time-to-celebrate-ramadan-islam-non-pc-b-52-political-poster-1287275828.jpg

Does any Buddhist temple burn any kind of offerings ? Maybe, it's the noise created from chanting and knocking of bells that drive people mad. I feel that such place of worship should NOT be built in close proximity where dwellers can actually breathe in toxic fumes or to endure the noise (mosques during Ramadan?).

The above pic is a very typical American racist expression.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Toxic Fumes

lianbeng asks, "then what about christian/catholic churches, muslim mosques, hindu temples, etc...?":confused:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, just what kind of city planning is going on here?

In a first world nation, shouldn't there be some kind of zoning? The temple was already there. Who the fuck authorised the building of a residence there?

Oh shit, I forgot - there's no such thing as zoning in Peesai! Just the other day me friend invited me for drinks at an alfresco type pub in Jalan Tua Kong. As soon as we sat down and ordered our drinks, the next door unit began its car washing operation and that really ruined the ambience! My friend was oblivious to their activity and went on talking and talking as though there wasn't any disturbance. Damned. Must be immune to all that noise. I just tolerated it and was really happy when the shop closed for the evening. Gimme some peace and quiet please!

Cheers!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rent room too expensive pok gai, go there eat free food izit :biggrin::o Got donate bo:confused:
Sigh! Was homeless that time so not as glamorous as you think lah.

Yes, did walked over there for lunch during the weekends. Did donate but not much cos' during that time, money quite limited.:(

That time was also one of the lowest point in my life.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In a first world nation, shouldn't there be some kind of zoning? The temple was already there. Who the fuck authorised the building of a residence there?

Oh shit, I forgot - there's no such thing as zoning in Peesai! Just the other day me friend invited me for drinks at an alfresco type pub in Jalan Tua Kong. As soon as we sat down and ordered our drinks, the next door unit began its car washing operation and that really ruined the ambience! My friend was oblivious to their activity and went on talking and talking as though there wasn't any disturbance. Damned. Must be immune to all that noise. I just tolerated it and was really happy when the shop closed for the evening. Gimme some peace and quiet please!

Cheers!

If there were proper zoning or urban planning (note: overpopulation), there wouldn't be that many condos in that area.

The SG govt (SLA? URA? LTA?) grabs lands and let property developers bid for them, then develop them to 'increase the value of the land'. There was rampant property speculation.

It's all about economics. It's all about the GDP.

Consequently, Singapore is a culturally sterile land of a thousand condos and cookie-cutter malls.

Remember this the next time someone laments a diminishing sense of nationhood or sense of belonging among Singaporeans.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Supply and demand. If the residents wanna remove the temple, they should buy over the land and evict the people there. Put your money where your mouth is.

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers!

There is propor zoning in sg what. Industrial area are meant for factories and the likes and are kept a distance away from residential areas.

I thought it is ok for religious instituion to be situated right in the heart of residential area as it is considered a kind of communal facility!? many developed countries do that

eh dude, stop being so fussy la.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers!

it adds to the charm of the area you twit. we don't need another sterilized version of fake-atas robertson quay in the east.

easterners pride themselves on their laid back ways vs the fake-atas of the city dwellers

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is propor zoning in sg what. Industrial area are meant for factories and the likes and are kept a distance away from residential areas.

I thought it is ok for religious instituion to be situated right in the heart of residential area as it is considered a kind of communal facility!? many developed countries do that

eh dude, stop being so fussy la.

So, why are the residents complaining?

Fussy? Bud, just being assetive, on what's the right thing to do.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
it adds to the charm of the area you twit. we don't need another sterilized version of fake-atas robertson quay in the east.

easterners pride themselves on their laid back ways vs the fake-atas of the city dwellers

In Sg, all are city dwellers, 'cept for those living on Ubin.

Cheers!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I stay in the West and the fighter aircrafts landing at Tengah airbase would fly super low over the flats around us. The noise can be maddening and unbearable. If go along the residents way of doing things, should we ask the govt to tear down Tengah airbase?

we who stay in the northeast also suffer from RSAF planes. i remember during secondary school, lessons had to pause because aircrafts landing in payer lebar airbase. i noticed aircrafts dont even belong to singapore. many of the fighters have two fins which rsaf dont have in the 90s. i suspect they were f18 belong to the aussie squadron or USN. then there the turbopop COD that belong to USN flying in daily, even nowadays still see them. And most important of all, there always low flying jets at around 2000hrs each night since november, knn.. farking noise pollution!!!