• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Common English Mistakes

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/News/Mailbox/Story/A1Story20120403-337364/2.html

Letter from my paper reader

I would like to bring to the attention of all English-speaking Singaporeans the most glaring and widely made mistakes in our society.

1. The difference between 'send', 'take', 'bring' and 'fetch'

"Take" is used when you go from one place to another, and the thing (or person) goes with you.
"Bring" is used when you come towards a place from another place, and the thing (or person) comes with you.
"Fetch" is used when you leave some place to get something (or someone), and then return, bringing the thing (or person) with you.
"Send" is used when something (or someone) goes away from you, but you don't go along.

Singaporeans are way too fond of saying "I'll send you home". They should say "I'll take you home" instead. You send someone off at the airport, that is, you see them go, but you don't go with them. You send a letter to someone - you drop it off at the mailbox, but you don't go with the letter.

2. Requests should be in the form of 'Would you' or 'May I', not 'Can you' or 'Can I'

"Can" refers to the ability to do something.

3. When one resides in a place permanently, one 'lives' there, not 'stays'

This is a mistake often seen in the newspapers, much to my dismay. You go on vacation and stay at a hotel, but you live in a Housing Board apartment in Toa Payoh. The next time you want to know where someone resides, ask "where do you live", not "where do you stay".

4. 'Last time' is often erroneously used in place of 'long ago', 'once', 'before' or 'previously', depending on context

"Last time" refers to a single occurrence directly prior to the present time, not something that happened long ago, nor something that happened continually in the past. That means you shouldn't say: "Last time I broke my tooth before." You should say: "When I was young, I broke my tooth." You shouldn't say: "Last time our grandmothers cooked over a charcoal stove". Instead, you should say: "Long ago, our grandmothers cooked over a charcoal stove." But you can say: "The last time my brother tried to fry an egg, he almost burned the kitchen down."

5. It is more appropriate to say 'good food' than 'nice food'

Food is good, people are nice - that is what I always say. There are specific circumstances when "nice" can be applied to food, such as when describing its appearance: "That's a very nice omelette." But most of the time, when we refer to the taste of food, it is better to use "good", as in "Mmm... This is good!"

6. It is more appropriate to say 'damaged' or 'broken' than 'spoiled/spoilt' when referring to things

Toys break; equipment gets damaged; but food spoils and children are spoilt. "Spoil" can be applied to extensive damage or serious devaluing of something, such as "littering spoils the landscape of our beaches". Otherwise, for more minor things, use "damaged" or "broken". For example, "this phone is damaged; I can't call out", and "You mustn't give away broken toys to the children's home".

Ms Pamela Chong Kwang Ngo

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking Sinkie parent taught Sinkie child....

"Mummeeee! See the dog!"

What is so fucking big an effort to teach them the correct way is "Look at the[or that] dog!"

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before posting something I wanted to share, something for many years I had concluded about people in general and I had said so to many. I googled to check whether it was something that had been expressed a long, long, time ago. I don't want to be accused of plagiarising. And I found this........

http://www.boardofwisdom.com/mailquote.asp?msgid=280435

It was contributed on 15/04/2010

You look but you don't see
You hear but you don't listen
You touch but you don't feel
You like me but you don't love me... -

Mine had been......

People look but they don't see,

They listen but they don't hear.

Which is more precise or correct?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll send you home means, you ride on my car or taxi until you reach your doorstep, then goodbye. I'll take you home means, you ride in my car or taxi all the way to my home. I'll fetch you means, you wait at your doorstep, I'll come over with a vehicle. I'll bring you there means follow me, I'll lead you somewhere you wish to go but don't know the way how to go.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
i buy the drinks?......clearcut ah ?:p

I'll send you home means, you ride on my car or taxi until you reach your doorstep, then goodbye. I'll take you home means, you ride in my car or taxi all the way to my home. I'll fetch you means, you wait at your doorstep, I'll come over with a vehicle. I'll bring you there means follow me, I'll lead you somewhere you wish to go but don't know the way how to go.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i buy the drinks?......clearcut ah ?:p

That's what I'd like to hear from guys.

What I'd like to hear from girls is, tonight your place, my place or hotel?

Who gives a damn about bring, fetch, send or take?

Make love is the romantic expression of fuck
Copulate is the biological expression of fuck
Fornicate is the religious expression of fuck(ing) around)

Carnal connection is the legal expression of fuck.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Another common mistake: Borrow, lend. I often hear people saying, "borrow me some money can?" :biggrin:

longdongsilver

Alfrescian
Loyal

when a guy says to a gal,i take you home,it could mean he takes her to his own place or to her place.both result in him fucking her...:smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can borrow you some money if you promised to give back by next month.

If I borrow money from you, you won't be able to find me again next month in Singapore. Try Bangkok or Tokyo (hope Joetys and Drifter don't sell me out).

Last edited: