• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Church group members harass student for days

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,203337,00.html?

Church group members harass student for days
They approach him outside school, ask for handphone number, then keep calling and sending SMSes
By Veena Bharwani

May 28, 2009

NP_IMAGES_VBCHURCH.jpg

The New Paper, 15 Apr

THEY hang around outside secondary schools and approach students.

These men then give Bibles to the students and talk to them about God.

The men, usually in their 30s, then ask the students for their handphone numbers and urge them to attend cell group meetings in their church.

This is what some students from Greenview Secondary in Pasir Ris have encountered over the past few years. This is not the only school that has seen religious groups right outside their school gates.

Last month, The New Paper reported that two men were distributing religious materials to students from Shuqun Secondary just outside the school in Jurong.

The principal of Shuqun Secondary, Mr Adolphus Tan, put a stop to it immediately and asked the men to go away.

But in this recent case concerning Greenview Secondary, it was a parent who decided to act.

Mr Patrick Tay, 58, stepped in to protect his son, 13, who was approached by two men from a church outside Greenview Secondary in January.

Mr Tay, who runs a trading company, added: 'My son had just started secondary school this year so he is a bit 'blur'. They then asked for his handphone number and my unsuspecting son gave it to them not knowing what to do.'

Shortly after that, he claimed his son kept getting repeated SMSes and calls from these people asking him to attend their cell group meetings at Cornerstone Community Church in Katong.

Said Mr Tay: ' I felt they are targeting younger kids like my son who are timid and don't know much.

'I am a Roman Catholic myself and I still am offended as they are not respecting our different religious beliefs.'

Mr Tay said he went to the church shortly after the incident to tell the members who had sent SMSes to his son not to bother him anymore.

Principal alerted

He also alerted the principal of Greenview Secondary about the matter.

Mr Tay didn't allow us to talk to his son.

The New Paper called the Cornerstone Community Church and e-mailed our questions about a month ago. But the youth leader did not get back to us.

We called the church again a week later, but still couldn't get a comment from them.

The New Paper spoke to five other Greenview Secondary school students who said that they, too, have been harassed on different occasions by men from various churches who were either distributing Bibles or asking for their handphone numbers.

Said a female student, 15: 'They have approached me twice in the past two years. The first time was two years ago. They asked for my handphone number but I declined to give it to them as they are strangers.'

She was approached again in March, this time by two men who were distributing Bibles.

'They would not let me pass them so I just took the Bible and quickly walked away so they would leave me alone. I informed my parents who got very angry and reminded me to be more careful next time.'

The principal of Greenview Secondary, Mr Koh Kok Khai, said he is aware of the situation.

He said: 'We have reminded our students to be mindful when approached by strangers outside of school. They have also been advised not to share personal information with these strangers.'

A vice-principal from a secondary school in the West said his students have also told him of similar incidents.

Sensitive issue

Another teacher said there is little schools that can say or do as it is a matter of personal religious beliefs - a sensitive issue for all.

Said the 29-year-old English teacher: 'We try not to tell kids what is right or wrong when it comes to religion as schools are a secular space. We would advise them immediately to tell their parents about the matter and let them handle it.'

Parent Pushpa Dhinakaran, 45, said that while such a trend is worrying, she understands that there is little schools that can do to prevent such things from happening.

'If it is happening inside the school premises, then it can be stopped, but this happened outside school.

'The best we parents can do is warn our kids to be careful when talking to strangers,' she added.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my school days in the late 80s, we were warned by teachers not join satanic cults

Nowadays, it seems harder to tell the difference between god and the devil

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have been doing this for decades, to recruit young members, 'cos young people are more naive & easily influenced. By recruiting more members means more revenue for them. Imagine 10% of your monthly salary goes to church.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have been doing this for decades, to recruit young members, 'cos young people are more naive & easily influenced. By recruiting more members means more revenue for them. Imagine 10% of your monthly salary goes to church.

Yep.. remembered being pestered by angmoh Mormons during my teenage years. Didn't follow, but got freeby Mormon bible.. at least learned something... Jesus was in the US of A! :biggrin:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
My days in NUS also the same,,,,, is it happening the same in NUS?

i am not against christianity or whatever religion, but the media seems to have a different agenda,,, to sell their papers and whatever will interest the general public,,,, albeit askewed perspective..

why target children?

also this would not have been a general public interest if not for Thio's AWARE case... who cares what happens outside the school compound before Thio's case,,,,

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think it is terrible, try missionary schools.

The rule is that as long as you are not Malay and you do not have written documents from your religious leader to your school, you have to attend Chapel service. If you sleep during the service, the counsellor will wake you up.

Worse is when some newly converts start sharing their new beliefs to others, it is like "you listen to me or burn in hell" thing. There are always constant battle between believers and non-believers during free periods.

I have a nephew who is enrolled in a primary school. The students are required to say grace during meal time. My nephew recognised that he is not a Christian and did not do so, he was punished for holding on to his principle and the only one standing throughout the whole session.

One thing for sure, if you are non believer in a missionary school you would feel very alienated.

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my school days in the late 80s, we were warned by teachers not join satanic cults

I don't think there was ever such a thing as "Satanic cults" in Singapore in the first place,... It's all along been part of the Christian's little song and dance to spook you into their fold.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think there was ever such a thing as "Satanic cults" in Singapore in the first place,... It's all along been part of the Christian's little song and dance to spook you into their fold.

There was, I recall an "Army of God" in NUS. If I recall correctly, It was shut down by the authority. I think the leader was someone known as Moses something. The members claimed that he got supernatural power. One member tried to leave the group and contracted some kind of sickness. They claimed that it is because of God's punishment to deserters.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal

I beg to differ. During that time I've seen ritual pentagrams chalked on the floors of abandoned buildings and playgrounds. The Newpaper also ran a whole series of stories regarding this problem around the time.

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was, I recall an "Army of God" in NUS. If I recall correctly, It was shut down by the authority. I think the leader was someone known as Moses something. The members claimed that he got supernatural power. One member tried to leave the group and contracted some kind of sickness. They claimed that it is because of God's punishment to deserters.

I mean actual people worshiping some kind of half man half goat devil in sg? Just find that hard to fathom happening here.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I mean actual people worshiping some kind of half man half goat devil in sg? Just find that hard to fathom happening here.

Doesn't have to be the commercially favourite man/goat thing, cults can be big, or really small, I've read Adrien Lim's killing was ritualistic.

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
For all we know it could be some sneaky christians themselves drawn those things,.. like the movie Angels and Demons! some elaborate hoax!

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Half goat half man will not attract followers. They should go for the Angelina Jolie demon goddess type like the creature in Beouwolf :wink:

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I remembered correctly, you are not allowed to distribute religious materials publicly.

That was what got the Fa Long Gong practitioners arrested.

porkchop75

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think it is terrible, try missionary schools.

The rule is that as long as you are not Malay and you do not have written documents from your religious leader to your school, you have to attend Chapel service. If you sleep during the service, the counsellor will wake you up.

Worse is when some newly converts start sharing their new beliefs to others, it is like "you listen to me or burn in hell" thing. There are always constant battle between believers and non-believers during free periods.

I have a nephew who is enrolled in a primary school. The students are required to say grace during meal time. My nephew recognised that he is not a Christian and did not do so, he was punished for holding on to his principle and the only one standing throughout the whole session.

One thing for sure, if you are non believer in a missionary school you would feel very alienated.

A mission school isn't a mission school without the religious elements, so your nephew should leave to go to a non-mission school, and have a student who would willingly abide to the school's religious curriculum to take over his place.

Traditionally, Christians would send their children to Christian mission schools to be educated both academically & spiritually, likewise a madrasah would attract muslim students. It would seem foolish to go to a madrasah & expect to be uninvolved in the school's culture eg: not wear tudong/songkok, eat pork / non-halal food, not be involved in prayers, etc, just because you're not muslim. Therefore, parents should choose their children's school wisely. Choose a school with a culture you're agreeable with, don't expect a school to change its culture just for your child, especially if the school has a long tradition.

I was sent to a mission school because it is traditional for children in my family to study at mission schools. Why? Because the pastoral care from such schools is as important as the academic aspects. Being Catholic, the mission school would have to be a Catholic one, not Methodist, Anglican, Buddhist, Muslim, clan association, etc.

I don't know which mission school your nephew is in, but it seems more strict than mine. We never needed to say grace before meals, nobody got punished for not attending religious sessions, unless they slipped out of the classroom to pursue non-school activities. I did experience a newly converted "i'm now saved because I'm a christian, you will go to hell because you're not" christian, but she was from one of those charismatic happy-clappy christian groups (who don't view catholics as christians.....).

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nowadays, it seems harder to tell the difference between god and the devil

This one beri easy lah! All my effort wasted here...

SATAN == SINS..

if you sucumb to your own human desires...it's the devil...:biggrin:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ. During that time I've seen ritual pentagrams chalked on the floors of abandoned buildings and playgrounds. The Newpaper also ran a whole series of stories regarding this problem around the time.

the world is run by SATANists..

that's why you have wars and sufferings....

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
unlike the 'old' churches, like methodist, baptist, etc., they do not require fixed contributions to church. just up to individual's willingness; some 'new' churches demand 10% of one's income as monthly donation. And will call one's name and 'remind' him/her for their payment in the session in front of other congregation.