• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chee Soon Juan issues urgent statement on declining birth rate due to FT policy and cost of living

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will give you an English lesson now out of the kindness of my heart, so that you do not continue to make a fool of yourself on this forum. I sincerely hope that I am not casting pearls to a swine.

Hearing is a physical process, but listening is a mental one. We are able hear a speech without listening to it, but we cannot listen to a speech without hearing it.

Hearing is a passive action when we hear when
sound waves reach our ears, regardless of whether we pay attention to them or not. An example is: "I heard a dog barking outside my house."

Listening is a conscious act of perception when we are paying attention to the words or sounds around us. An example is: "I listened carefully to the Prime Minister's explanation."
I have already painstakingly pointed out your error in using 'hearing' in a literal sense, i.e. to refer to the physiological process of perceiving sound waves by the ear (and brain).

"Hearing' in the figurative, literary sense refers to the process of capturing, internalising, and integrating the sound that's physiological perceived.

'Listening' simply means giving your attention to a series of sounds or words being made without necessarily internalising and integrating them in the conscious mind.

Hence the phrase (again): You listen but do not hear.

This literary meaning of 'hearing' - which I admit is beyond your rudimentary grasp of the English language - is what is referred to in the Biblical verse Matthew 13:15, which I quote again for your ease of reference:

"For this people’s heart has grown dull, and with their ears they can barely hear, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and turn, and I would heal them."

(I can assure you that this verse isn't referring to physically deaf people.)

Don't worry about casting pearls to swine. For how can a swine like you possess any pearls to cast, in the first place?

I stand by my point: the PAP listens to the people, they may or may not hear them, but they definitely do not act on what they hear for lack of empathy and compassion.

I rest my case, twit. That said, I'm nearing the end of my tether, having taught some elementary school children with keener linguistic sense than yours.

Last edited:

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry about casting pearls to swine. For how can a swine like you possess any pearls to cast, in the first place? I stand by my point: the PAP listens to the people, they may or may not hear them, but they definitely do not act on what they hear for lack of empathy and compassion.
You seem to be down with swine flu that has affected your small brain.

1725681922227.jpeg

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
You seem to be down with swine flu that has affected your small brain.
Resorting to ad hominem attacks is all you can come up with? Pathetic. That's the kind of 'true believer' you are.

I can see Jesus shaking his head sadly up there.

Last edited:

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Resorting to ad hominem attacks is all you can come up with? Pathetic. That's the kind of 'true believer' you are. I can see Jesus shaking his head sadly up there.
Argumentum ad hominem refers exactly to the fallacious attacks on my character and motives that you launched rather than focusing on the substance of the argument itself. Your sub-standard English caused you to launch a personal attack on my command of the language, which is light years ahead of yours. This is how the whole sorry episode started. Go and repent of your sin of envy; the Lord will forgive you if you are genuine in your repentance.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oooh, somebody's getting his knickers in a twist. Chill, mate.

No matter, your self-righteous hypocrisy is clear for all to see. And thanks for allowing me to meticulously dissect, analyse and correct your limited English as a service to improving your linguistic skills. If you now know the difference between 'listening' and 'hearing', I will be gratified to have done my job.

Finally, a piece of advice for your salvation: 'For I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.' - Matthew 5:20

This will be my last response to you, thou hypocrite! (Do consider changing your moniker - it's an embarrassing disgrace to the teachings of Christ.)

Last edited: