• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chee Soon Juan issues urgent statement on declining birth rate due to FT policy and cost of living

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does the Pap know Cecas have already hogged senior positions and now forcing locals out from companies?

Of course they do.

Anyone raised this issue in parliament?

What's the point of raising it in Parleement?

Such questions have to first obtain approval to be discussed in the subsequent parliamentary sitting.

Even if such questions are approved, the PAP gabrament will assign Cotton Chan or Ms Vivian B. who doesn't work at MOM to answer them.

I'm sure MOM has all the data

Of course it has all the data.

What's more MOM is using AI to help it enhance their policies.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I highly doubt birth rates are going to rise even if you fully sponsor all the costs of raising children. :cool:

In third world societies, by simply making the society more dangerous and taking away people's money, birth rates soared.
Ironical that birth rates plummeted when people have more money but think that they don't have enough to raise kids

nabeifuckpap

Alfrescian
Loyal
STFU MAD DOG CHEE, GNNBCCB!

He alone set the SG Oppie movement by 20 years!!
2015 GE it was chao sinkies who set the opposition back by 10 years by giving PAP 70% mandate, want to blame it's all voters fault oppo tried their best

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2015 GE it was chao sinkies who set the opposition back by 10 years by giving PAP 70% mandate, want to blame it's all voters fault oppo tried their best

yeah. nevertheless the oppo should engage the people more often like regular walkabouts to promote their cause, not just appear during election period.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Govt knows the problem, hears our feedback about the hardship brought by their policies, but do they ever listen?
They listen, they hear, but they don't care because they can't empathize with the people's hardship, owing to the obscene salaries they're drawing which put them in the top 1% bracket.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
They listen, they hear, but they don't care because they can't empathize with the people's hardship, owing to the obscene salaries they're drawing which put them in the top 1% bracket.
Hearing is the ability to use the ears only; that is what Pay And Pay does. In contrast, listening is a skill that requires the govt to use their senses: including seeing, hearing and the sense of touch. Hearing only uses the ears, while listening requires the use of their brains to interpret the message, and act on it. That is totally missing from the MIW.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hearing is the ability to use the ears only; that is what Pay And Pay does. In contrast, listening is a skill that requires the govt to use their senses: including seeing, hearing and the sense of touch. Hearing only uses the ears, while listening requires the use of their brains to interpret the message, and act on it. That is totally missing from the MIW.
Your command of English is wanting: you got it the other way round.

In idiomatic usage, 'listen' means paying attention to, e.g. listening to the people, listening to music. 'Hear' doesn't just refer to the biological perception of sound, but to actually capturing and internalising what you perceive, e.g. 'I hear you'. (Of course a doctor would use 'hear' to just refer to perceiving sounds, but that's another usage altogether.)

That's why there's this English phrase: "You listen but do not hear; you look but do not see."

Matthew 13:15
For the heart of this people has become dull,
With their ears they scarcely hear,
And they have closed their eyes,
Otherwise they would see with their eyes,
Hear with their ears,
And understand with their heart and return,
And I would heal them.’

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leememeber....70% has sirpok Heng Ong Huat Okay?
1000030264.jpg

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your command of English is wanting: you got it the other way round. In idiomatic usage, 'listen' means paying attention to, e.g. listening to the people, listening to music. 'Hear' doesn't just refer to the biological perception of sound, but to actually capturing and internalising what you perceive, e.g. 'I hear you'. (Of course a doctor would use 'hear' to just refer to perceiving sounds, but that's another usage altogether.) That's why there's this English phrase: "You listen but do not hear; you look but do not see."
I will quote from Matthew 7:6: “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." I do not wish to cast pearls before swine, as that would be wasting my time offering something that is helpful and valuable to someone who does not appreciate nor understand it.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will quote from Matthew 7:6: “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." I do not wish to cast pearls before swine, as that would be wasting my time offering something that is helpful and valuable to someone who does not appreciate nor understand it.
Thank you.

It's painful to watch you pontificate on matters you have little knowledge of, using a language that you're not very proficient in. Not to mention your bigotry and judgmental attitude that's so typical of many fundamentalist Christians I know.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's painful to watch you pontificate on matters you have little knowledge of, using a language that you're not very proficient in. Not to mention your bigotry and judgmental attitude that's so typical of many fundamentalist Christians I know.
I will give you an English lesson now out of the kindness of my heart, so that you do not continue to make a fool of yourself on this forum. I sincerely hope that I am not casting pearls to a swine.

Hearing is a physical process, but listening is a mental one. We are able hear a speech without listening to it, but we cannot listen to a speech without hearing it.

Hearing is a passive action when we hear
sound waves reach our ears, regardless of whether we pay attention to them or not. An example is: "I heard a dog barking outside my house."

Listening is a conscious act of perception when we are paying attention to the words or sounds around us. An example is: "I listened carefully to the Prime Minister's explanation."

Last edited:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Northern Sea Route (NSR), also known as the Northeast Passage (NEP), is a shipping route connecting the eastern and western parts of the Arctic Ocean. The 13,000-kilometre NSR is shorter than the 21,000-kilometre Suez Canal route, and can reduce sailing time between Europe and Asia from one month to less than a fortnight.
On 6 June 2023, Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin spoke at a strategic session on the NSR. The session evaluated the progress of the "Northern Sea Route development plan" which was approved by the Russian government in August 2022 that "includes [the] construction of more than 50 icebreakers and ice-class vessels, ports and terminals, emergency and rescue centres, [and] building an orbital group of satellites". Russia has pledged 2 trillion rubles (US$21.4 billion) over the next 13 years to the development of the NSR.

Stronger Russia-India ties​

On 27-28 March 2023, Alexei Chekunkov, the Russian minister for the development of the Far East and the Arctic, visited India to meet with Indian business circles and officials to discuss the transportation of goods through the NSR via Russian and Indian ports. The meeting confirmed the development of transport and logistics links via the NSR, the Arctic and Far Eastern Railway, and port infrastructure between India and Russia.
The Northern Sea Route (NSR), also known as the Northeast Passage. (SPH Media)
The Northern Sea Route (NSR), also known as the Northeast Passage. (SPH Media)
India was recorded as the largest buyer of Russian crude petroleum oil and the second-largest buyer of Russian oil after China in 2022. Russian exports of crude petroleum oil to India increased significantly from US$1,221 million in 2018 to US$24,988 million in 2022, and overall Russian exports to India increased from US$8,695 million in 2021 to US$46,342 million in 2022. The NSR will provide India and Russia with the ability to increase bilateral trade further through its reliable and secure transportation of goods.