• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cheap beer but surprisingly very nice to drink ....

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No leh, Chang is not to sweet.
Low class, but great.
When in Bangkok, ask for Chang in high class restaurant and see the shrinking response, coupled with shock.

In markets where there are poor people often it's not about tastes but money. So in Thailand the poor definitely cannot afford brands like Singha or Heiniken or Tiger so every brewer has a low cost brand for this market. Leo and Chang are just only 2 of such brands here in Thailand. I guess these brands are not for the Singapore markets particularly not for Singaporeans who can afford Tiger etc.

Chang seems to be the favourite for the workers and Isaan people. It's a rarity to find a beer having 7% Alc and Chang is one of it. Actually I kind of like Chang as I find it tasty and they way I drink it is fill a tall glass wit ice, pour Chang to the top then quickly gulb the whole glass down at once. I love it like this but ver fast mao, but very shiok and tasty. Try it.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chang is somewhere between Carlsberg and Carlsberg Special Brew. Check out this TV ad by Carabao (Bob Dylan of Thailand). The lyrics basically mean Chang is the real Thai beer for real man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amO2HyO_ZGk

The upper middle class beer in Thailand is Heineken, but Chang has gained more in status and broader popularity since the Carabao ad and sponsoring Everton jerseys.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Though Leo, Chang or Skol are cheap, but they are almost Vinegar grade when it is price below $11. :mad:

But for Anchor because of the competition and more widely drink here.

You can still get fresh and cheap Anchor beer below S$10 for 6 pack.

For me, freshness comes first beyond brand.

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
Skol is actually brewed in the UK.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -

Skol is an international beer brand. Allied Breweries of the UK, Labatt of Canada, Pripps-Bryggerierna of Sweden and Unibra of Belgium formed a new company called Skol International in 1964. Its aim was the creation of a world-wide beer brand, Skol lager, which could be licensed, manufactured and marketed across the world. Since then participation in the company has changed... The merger between Allied Breweries and Carslberg, created Carlsberg-Tetley's, who now brew the beer at their brewery in Leeds.

My favourite cheap beer is Breda. Sometimes it's on promotion in 7-11 for as little as $2 a can.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I lived in Thailand, I bought Spey Royal (scotch whiskey) from supermarket for home after-dinner drink. It's a virtual unknown brand in Singapore. Cheap at about 300 baht per bottle. Comes in a distinctive purple box. I first tried it when it was on offer. Double bottle boxed set with two free whiskey glasses that looked very nice and I needed these anyway since I didn't have them in my new apartment. It was good, a little below Chivas Regal in absolute quality but well high up worth the price.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My favourite cheap beer is Breda. Sometimes it's on promotion in 7-11 for as little as $2 a can.

Breda is cheap and good. Available at 7-11 and Cold Storage only. The offer now on is for the long can 500 m.l. 2 for S$6. Very worth the while for a good night of home slow seeping watching TV/DVD.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has any1 tried brewing their own beer with one of those home brew sets? Is it any good?

I considered buying 1 but 1 set costs about $400. Taking the base price of a cheap beer to be $2 a can, this translates to the equivalent of about 800 cans. This stopped me from buying as I figured that the hassle and novelty of brewing your own beer would probably wear off long before I hit 800 cans.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Has any1 tried brewing their own beer with one of those home brew sets? Is it any good?

I considered buying 1 but 1 set costs about $400. Taking the base price of a cheap beer to be $2 a can, this translates to the equivalent of about 800 cans. This stopped me from buying as I figured that the hassle and novelty of brewing your own beer would probably wear off long before I hit 800 cans.

I don't think homebrewing beer is worth the while. Might as well brew rice wine. I've seen before as a kid at my grandma's neighbour's home, when I stayed at my grandma's home during school holidays. Roughly, it's about fermenting glutinous rice cakes. Not much equipment required except regular kitchen utensils and sealable jars. Sometimes she gave friendly gift jars to my grandma, for my grandpa to enjoy after coming home from work. As a naughty kid, I sometimes asked my grandpa for a sip or two. He'd allow as long as my grandma wasn't looking. Then I went knocked out sleeping like a baby. :biggrin:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think homebrewing beer is worth the while. Might as well brew rice wine. I've seen before as a kid at my grandma's neighbour's home, when I stayed at my grandma's home during school holidays. Roughly, it's about fermenting glutinous rice cakes. Not much equipment required except regular kitchen utensils and sealable jars. Sometimes she gave friendly gift jars to my grandma, for my grandpa to enjoy after coming home from work. As a naughty kid, I sometimes asked my grandpa for a sip or two. He'd allow as long as my grandma wasn't looking. Then I went knocked out sleeping like a baby. :biggrin:

Your grandpa whilst taking his lunch ... listening to your blah blah blah fell asleep ... just like last sunday .....:eek::smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your grandpa whilst taking his lunch ... listening to your blah blah blah fell asleep ... just like last sunday .....:eek::smile:

You never see who're sitting at my table? My bodyguard, LTK and Glenda.

I told LTK the dirty old man from 6th Avenue going to sponsor rally refreshment. I told Glenda to stay far far away from you and my bodyguard to get ready to beat you up if you misbehave.